Old 09-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Official Texans @ Titans Thread, 9/21/2008

Interesting stuff!

From Ted Sunquist (former Denver GM) via PFT:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...ans-at-titans/

TED SUNDQUIST’S WEEK THREE SCOUTING REPORTS: TEXANS AT TITANS
Posted by Mike Florio on September 19, 2008, 9:23 a.m. EDT
[Editor’s note: Former Broncos G.M. Ted Sundquists provides us with exclusive scouting reports for three games each week. His first submission for Week Three appears below.]

One week after Hurricane Ike wreaked havoc down on the nation’s gulf coast, the ripple affects continue. Not only upon those who have suffered the loss of life, home, and property (the likes of which many of us could never imagine), but also upon the South Texas sporting world. The destruction was felt from Galveston up through the I-45 corridor to Houston’s Reliant Stadium. The Texans cancelled their scheduled game against Baltimore and now face potential relocation until repairs are finished to their home field. The move of a game to their bye week presents the challenge of playing 15 straight without a break, but that’s the least of their concerns. Hopefully, things can get back to some normalcy with the resumption of play at the high school, collegiate, and professional levels. To start things off, the Texans will travel to Tennessee.

I’m not quite sure how to define who the Houston Texans are at this point. Having played only one game, are they truly playoff contenders (as most in Houston would like you to believe) or the team that was thoroughly beaten by Pittsburgh in Week 1? If the former, the Texans offense will need to develop a better level of consistency so as not to put its defense in a constant hole. Pittsburgh’s average starting field position was its own 37 yard line. It was clear the early plan was to attack the Steelers through the air. QB Matt Schaub was 12 of 17 in the first half (only 6.7 per completion), but was sacked twice and threw two interceptions (one led to a subsequent PIT score). There seemed to be a lack of rhythm and continuity to the Texans attack.

KEY #1 will be the ability of head coach Gary Kubiak and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan weaving together a game plan that puts confidence back in their offense. The Texans were sacked 5 times, hurried another 6, and never effectively moved the ball through the air until late in the game. Andre Johnson had the numbers, but even those were a bit deceiving. Johnson played a big role in last season’s clash in Nashville, but Houston might be served well in establishing a running game with Ahman Green (if healthy) and rookie Steve Slaton to slow down the Titans rush. Tennessee ranks second in the NFL with 8 sacks, and the Titans have already picked off 4 passes. The Titans will game plan Andre Johnson and force the Houston offense to run into Tennessee’s more than capable front seven.

Tennessee rookie RB Chris Johnson has quickly turned into the explosive playmaker the Titans thought he would be when they drafted him with the 24th pick of the first round. The Titans presented more of a power game over the past few seasons with the Chris Brown and Lendale White combination. Now, Tennessee appears to have a big-play threat to its running game. Slaton and White present an interesting mix of power and speed. Houston will have to regroup its defense in an attempt to shut down the big play. Pittsburgh racked up 5 runs of 10+ yards, one for 20+. The Titans have stayed relatively balanced, but look to run behind OG Jake Scott and OT David Stewart on the right. This blocking combo has produced over 6 yards per attempt. Pro Bowl MLB DeMeco Ryans holds the key (#2) to stopping the Titans run game. At 6’1” & 250 lbs, Ryans matches up against the inside power of White, but is agile/athletic enough to scrape to the hole and fill on the explosive Johnson. Ryans will have to fight over top of the second level blocks of Amano, Mawae, and Scott. He’ll also have to leverage, stack and shed the iso of FB Ahmard Hall. Ryans had two of his top games in losses to the Titans last season. His emotional on-field leadership is the catalyst for not only his defensive unit, but the entire team.

Note that these two keys are more about reestablishing the confidence and momentum that the Texans had coming out of preseason than they are about any individual match ups. Football is an emotional game and the Texans have been through a bit over the past few weeks.

Tennessee will look continue to retool their offensive philosophy behind QB Kerry Collins. The news surrounding Titan QB Vince Young over the past week has been troubling, if not downright bizarre. Quietly, it would not surprise me if the Titan staff is not more comfortable in game planning for the veteran Collins than they were for Young. Offensive Coordinator Mike Heimerdinger likes the pocket, and Collins probably fits his style of playcalling and getting the ball downfield better than Young. That said, look for Heimerdinger to open up his passing game a bit more with the Justins, Gage and McCareins (KEY #3). Both have good size and are capable of the big play, but not overly explosive. “Dinger” likes to throw to his TE’s as well, so look for Bo Scaife to contribute more in the fashion of his Jacksonville performance (6 for 100 yds) than last week against the Bengals (1 for 6 yds). The Texans have struggled in the past shutting down opponent TE’s and Scaife was productive in both games last season. Houston corners Fred Bennett and Jacques Reeves had trouble with the speedy Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes in Week 1. Bennett and Reeves match up better against the Justins (both are near 6’ & 190+ lbs). Fred Bennett had an excellent rookie season ‘07 and does a very good job keeping routes in front of him. He has to be considered as one of the better CB’s (targeted 63 times with a success rate of 61%) in the League last season.

KEY #4 will be the inside play of Albert Haynesworth. He has the physical ability to disrupt both the Texans’ run and pass game by himself. He is one of the top run stuffers in pro football. Historically, the zone blocking schemes have suffered against the powerful upfield surge of a big, strong DT. Texan C Chris Myers is a solid player, the type that every G.M. would love to have on his team. But the mere presence of Haynesworth is going to be difficult to deal with. He is also tied with DE Kyle Vanden Bosch for the team lead in sacks and has forced a fumble. If assistant head coach Alex Gibbs and his O-Line can create some lateral flow with the Titan front, then Houston may be able to wear out Haynesworth with movement and the cutback. But if Tennessee creates some upfield push, in and through the reach blocks of the Texans’ interior, it might be a long day for the Houston offense.

KEY #5 will hinge on Houston Texan KOR Andre’ Davis. Davis was flat outstanding in ’07, second only to Cleveland’s Josh Cribbs in overall effectiveness, adding some 19.3 points of field position over the average returner. Tennessee has struggled over the first two weeks in slowing down KOR’s of 20+ yards (tied at 28th) and in opponents’ average starting field position (30th in NFL). As with the Chargers’ Darren Sproles last week against Denver, Davis has the ability to create hidden yards and points for the Texans special teams through his dynamic return ability.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:24 PM
All-Pro

This is one week where our DBs may be capable of handling their receivers but I don't have much confidence that they can stop Tennessee's running game. The key will be to get an early lead and control the clock with short timing routes mixed with runs.

I don't like our chances if we have to play from behind. If the Titans know when we will be throwing, Schaub will take a beating. Shanny Jr is going to need to mix it up and that only works if they hit on enough plays to keep their defense off balance.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
This is one week where our DBs may be capable of handling their receivers
But can the LB's and safeties stay with the TE's? The running game is going to be key on both sides of the ball...it almost always is.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Regular Starter

I agree that we need to have balance on offense. Maybe having Okam active for this game helps having a big body on the inside to relieve some pressure from Omobi. Zgonia is a pro, we will see what he has left in the tank.

I am ready for some football this weekend. I am exhausted and tired of cutting and stacking fallen limbs and getting life back in order. A Texans win would do wonders for my psyche. A loss might send me into a downspin until Christmas.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:45 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I am ready for some football this weekend. I am exhausted and tired of cutting and stacking fallen limbs and getting life back in order. A Texans win would do wonders for my psyche. A loss might send me into a downspin until Christmas.
Just got our juice back here in Clear Lake, so I second your sentiments Mike.
I just hope Kubiak & Smith didn't screw-up by releasing Mattox (instead of Weaver, TJ, or Zagoni), who may have been their best inside DLineman ?
As for a prediction on this game, I'm now more uncertain than ever about who the Texans are and where they are at ? But another stinker up in Nashville like in Pittsburg 2 weeks ago will confirm my most pessimistic suspicians.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:53 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Just got our juice back here in Clear Lake, so I second your sentiments Mike.
I just hope Kubiak & Smith didn't screw-up by releasing Mattox (instead of Weaver, TJ, or Zagoni), who may have been their best inside DLineman ?
As for a prediction on this game, I'm now more uncertain than ever about who the Texans are and where they are at ? But another stinker up in Nashville like in Pittsburg 2 weeks ago will confirm my most pessimistic suspicians.
Still without power up in Spring. At a friend's house to watch some college football.

Anyway, I think Okam is going to play because of TJ having a groin issue. It will be nice if Okam can help stop White and Johnson in the run game. My concern is how many snaps can he play (is he in shape).

I'm still awaiting the ZBS and Gibbs to produce something in the running game. Slaton and Taylor need to come up big. Chester Pitts is going to have his hands full with the "head stomper" who loves our backup QB. If Green can't be depended upon, and he can't, I wish we'd take a look around for another back.

The Patriots have stashed BenJarvus Green-Ellis on their practice squad. If Maroney and Jordan are hurting, they might bring him up and activate him. I'm just not sold that Darius Walker is ever going to produce.

Lastly, I'm still awaiting to Molden in the Secondary. We'll see.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:25 AM
All-Pro

Just got power on Thursday and internet today, no football for a week, so looking forward to this Sundays games.

I'm sure hoping all our young guys develop soon or it might be a tough season.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Hall of Fame

Inactives: RB Ahman Green, DT Travis Johnson, CB Eugene Wilson, LB Xavier Adibi, G Kasey Studdard, OT Rashad Butler, TE Mark Bruener and DT Earl Cochran.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Pro Bowler

Let's get it going, baby!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Pro Bowler

First CBS starts off showing the Giants game (WTF?) and now no HD (double WTF?). Bad start for the Texans.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Pro Bowler

INT after 3 and out!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Pro Bowler

There's the Kerry Collins who all know and love!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Veteran Depth

at least they switched it over. I was about to go apesh*t.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Hall of Fame

Jacques Reeves makes up for the bad start with the INT...

Ball just a little too tall for AJ in the endzone.....

Schaub not sharp
Old 09-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Pro Bowler

What a waste of a turnover. We need to convert these to seven. It's obvious the ream is rusty as hell.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Hall of Fame

Texans settle for the FG.

Texans 3, Titans 0

No HD..... Booooooooo!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlbound View Post
at least they switched it over. I was about to go apesh*t.
True.

Brown gets abused by Haynesworth. Schaub scaked. Kris Brown bails them out with a FG. It would be nice if we could play like a Pro team once in awhile. Nothing llike going backwards on O.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Pro Bowler

Yea, HD!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Pro Bowler

Weird, I'm getting HD on Sunday Ticket...
Old 09-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Veteran Depth

Collins on a bootleg for a first down. Come on.