IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Regular Starter

Dreesen signed with the Bengles...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...gent-visitors/.

I'm happy because now we might focus on Fleener @ 26.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post

Hasn't signed, just making visits.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post

I'm with ya. Fleener and OD would give Gronk & Hernandez a run for their money. But Dreesen hasn't signed yet. Still hoping we can find the cap money for him.

Last edited by NBT; 03-21-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Pro Bowler

TE Joel Dreessen says he will choose between the Texans and Broncos by Friday morning. He's also visited Saints, Bengals and Titans. -- John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL)
Old 03-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Pro Bowler

Hope he signs with us. I think his importance to our team is severely understated. An unsung hero. But if he goes to Denver, obviously I can't blame him.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Pro Bowler

Free agent TE Joel Dreessen says he will sign with the Denver Broncos -- Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26)
Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM
All-Pro

I guess Denver could offer more money. Plus hard to pass up receiving from Peyton.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Probably has more to do with going home than with who the QB is though. Dreessen went to HS in Colorado and of course played for Colorado State.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Regular Starter

I would have liked to have kept Dreesen. Briesel really cashed in. Now Rick Smith has to earn his salary and hit on some lower level inexpensive free agents to fill in the holes, and we need to hit on our draft. This offseason has been a bummer. I am dissapointed that Mario all of a sudden becomes a twitter freak, even though I figured he was gone with the amount of $ he cashed in with. I liked Winston, be he was alot of sizzle and no steak, the defense I think has leaders in Cush, Manning, Antonio and JJ.

Darn, I need some Texans sunshine. Good teams find good inexpensive players. We picked up Dreeses and Briesel for nothing. Time to do it again.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Regular Starter

The Texans will miss Dreessen's blocking the most since there's not another TE on the roster who looks like he can fill that hole. Graham has a chance to step up but I don't think blocking is considered his strong suit. Like Mike alluded to, though, finding a blocking TE doesn't necessarily require investing a high draft pick or big free agent money.

FWIW, the Broncos also signed TE Jacob Tamme today.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:09 PM
All-Pro

I heard Dreesen was a good blocker, but I guess Casey and Graham should be able to block as well. I think those two are ready to play and play well.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:23 PM
All-Pro

I see the Texans as losing depth but not really in areas where it will be that tough to replace. We were going into the draft with a WR2 as our greatest priority and now we have several others but they aren't major holes, consider:

We lost Mario but we still have Barwin and Reed.
We traded Ryans but we have Sharpton behind him.
We lost Winston but we have Butler behind him.
We lost Briesel but we have Caldwell behind him.
We lost Leinart but we have Yates behind him.
We lost Vickers and Dreesen but we wanted a bigger role for Casey and now he'll get it.

I don't know if we kept or lost Rackers but that's another position we can easily replace. (PK thinks we should draft the A&M kicker late which suits me just fine).

So I think we can draft BPA now and rebuild our depth. We re-signed the two guys we absolutely had to sign (Foster and Meyers), cleared up cap space next year for extensions and we haven't lost anybody that's not replaceable. And if we had to go to war today with only the players we still have, we are still hands-down the best team in our division. And it only gets better once we start filling in the depth with FAs and the draft.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Drafted Rookie

I don't think Sharpton is the answer at ILB. He is 5' 11" and 230 lbs and not nearly as good as Meco was. Plus he is coming back from a quad tear. ILB should be a high priority in the upcoming draft.

Caldwell isn't the answer at guard either. He isn't very good and has been a disappointment for the Texans.

So I believe the Texans will be drafting WR, ILB and OL in the first 4 rounds. Probaly throw OLB and DT in there if bpa for the other priority positions isn't as good.

Last edited by bckey; 03-24-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Pro Bowler

WR is going to be an absolute need (at least one, if not two). So it doesn't seem we can afford to go BPA this year. Problem: the big 4 of WRs will be gone, so what now? Do we reach for a WR anyway?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
Free agent TE Joel Dreessen says he will sign with the Denver Broncos -- Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26)
Saw somewhere that Dressen got a 3 yr, $8.5MM deal. Didn't see the particulars.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 PM
All-Pro

After losing Vickers & Dreesen, I would like to see the Texans sign FB Owen Schmitt. It would be nice to have somebody on the team who could block in the running game. Maybe take a look at UCLA TE Harkey as an undrafted Free Agent. Just sayin'
Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Pro Bowler

Hey, they are alive over there on Kirby!

P Donnie Jones signs 1-year deal with Houston -- Jason Cole (@JasonColeYahoo)
Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post

Caldwell isn't the answer at guard either. He isn't very good and has been a disappointment for the Texans.
Bleacher Report (for what it's worth) claims Arian Foster said Caldwell was playing all during 2010, when Arian had his best year.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Hall of Fame

The skinny on Donnie Jones:

Quote:
OK, this is more like a tinkle than a splash, but it’s something.

And some of you were worried that the Texans weren’t going to field a team in 2012.

Welcome in Donnie Jones, who is likely to be the punter for at least the first three games while Brett Hartmann serves a suspension for performance-enhancing drug use.

Jones was 22nd in the league in average at 44.3, just slightly behind Hartmann (44.4), but thanks to poor coverage by the Rams (or poor hang time), his net was nearly a full yard shorter than Hartmann’s. Neither one was particularly good, as Hartmann was 28th in the league net, with Jones 31st.

The Texans appear to have gotten Jones on the decline, with his average falling for three consecutive years since he was Shane Lechler-like with a 50.0-yard average in 2008, when he was second-team All-NFL.

Jones had a 46.8-yard average in 2009 and a 45.5-yard average in 2010 before the aforementioned 44.3.

The salary-cap constrained Texans’ first veteran free-agent acquisition in 2012, he received a one-year contract worth $890,000, including a $65,000 signing bonus. Of the total, $540,000 counts against the cap.

Matt Turk, the NFL’s oldest player, returned to the Texans after Hartmann was hurt covering a punt and averaged 42.7 in the last four regular-season games, then 41.8 in the two playoff games. He’s currently an unsigned free agent.

After punting for Miami as a rookie in 2004, Jones spent two seasons with Seattle before joining the Rams. His career average is 45.3.

Texans in free agency

Re-signed – Arian Foster, RB; Chris Myers, C; Jonathan Weeks, C.
Signed – Donnie Jones, P, from St. Louis.
Lost – Mario Williams, DE, to Buffalo; Mike Briesel, OG, to Oakland; Joel Dreessen, TE, to Denver; Jason Allen, CB, to Cincinnati.
Released/unsigned – Eric Winston, OT, signed with Kansas City; Lawrence Vickers, FB, signed with Dallas; Matt Leinart, QB; Neil Rackers, K; Derrick Ward, RB; Bryant Johnson, WR; Matt Turk, P; Damione Lewis, DT; Dominique Barber, S; Quintin Demps, S.
Hmmm, part-time till Hartmann comes back or bye bye Hartmann?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:44 AM
Regular Starter

I'm seriously getting concerned now. A mediocre punter?

Is our depth that competitive in the positions we've lost so as NOT to replace them with free agents? Or, is our scouting team that confident that we can replace most of them in the draft?

I have to admit, the scouting team has been pretty dang good especially last year.

(Side note for grins: I think I'd allow Wade to have a say in the fullback position based on his input for meat eaters on D...big, fast and crazy - that sounds like a good fullback to me)