IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2015, 09:04 AM
All-Pro

I could see it happening but I am optimistic that Clowney and Mercilus will hold down the OLB spots and whomever we get will be backups, not starters whereas a first-round WR ought to be starting by mid-season as we need to get rid of the guys we were using for depth at that position last year with the possible exception of Posey if he's healthy both physically and mentally.

The Texans don't strike me as a team that will bite on Gregory or Green-Beckham if they are available but I can see them choosing Shane Ray or Bud Dupree over Parker or Strong if they are available.

My issue is that I want the physical presence of the top 4 receivers (and Dorial G-B is also a physical presence to be honest) - somebody who can win jump balls in a crowd and most of the guys listed at WR in the second (Smith, Perriman, Dorsett) are there because of speed, not physical toughness. Sammie Coates would be my choice of the second-rounders. The wild card is Devin Funchess who some project moving to Tight End and becoming a Jimmy Graham type.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:31 AM
All-Pro

Default 04-19 Fanspeak Board No Trades

I enjoy moving around a bit on the draft board so I can have more picks in the second day where the best bargains should be. But that's not true to Houston's track record so I disciplined myself to decline all the trades and just do a straight draft with our current picks. It meant missing out on some guys I wanted but I was able to get several guys I targeted including some of O'Brien's alumni.

16 - R1P16 WR JAELEN STRONG ARIZONA STATE
He's still there sometimes in trade downs but sometimes he's gone. Taller and faster than Devante Parker, he should be a great mirror for Hopkins.

51 - R2P19 ILB STEPHONE ANTHONY CLEMSON
Solid all-around LB who can finally stop the parade of flotsam lining up next to Brian Cushing.

82 - R3P18 TE JESSE JAMES PENN STATE
I wanted this to be Lorenzo Mauldin but he was taken. I'll settle for a huge 6-7 receiver who O'Brien knows well and makes a great end zone target.

116 - R4P17 OLB KWON ALEXANDER LSU
I could have nabbed a safety here but after missing out on Mauldin, I didn't want to miss on the next best OLB on the board.

152 - R5P16 G-C MILES DIEFFENBACH PENN STATE
A little early for this guy but he fills two back-up needs and O'Brien loves his toughness returning from knee surgery.

175 (comp) - R5P39 WR TY MONTGOMERY STANFORD
Now's the spot for a speed receiver with kick return skills and that's Montgomery or Antwan Goodley. I'd be happy with either.

195 - R6P19 CB DAMIAN SWANN GEORGIA
We can always use depth at corner.

211 (comp) - R6P35 S CHRIS HACKETT TCU
Ditto safeties. If I had more mid-round choices, I would target FS Adrian Amos of Penn State rather than Hackett.

216 (comp) - R6P40 DE DEION BARNES PENN STATE
Another Nittany Lion that is a classic tweener who could become an OLB at the next level.

235 - R7P18 RB MALCOLM BROWN TEXAS
A solid backup behind Foster and Blue. Doesn't make people miss but he's a dependable runner and receiver who can fight for tough yards.

What's missing in this draft? Help on the d-line, no true center to back up Jones, no development QB (not sure one is desired). Hopefully, Ryan Pickett is still in Romeo's contacts list. Otherwise, I'd be happy to come away with this.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:57 AM
All-Pro

NFL teams including the Texans run so much in nickel defensive schemes these days that a team practically has not just 2 but 3 starting corners and with Joseph coming into the last year of his current contract in 2015 I can see a real possibilty that The Texans go corner with their first pick especially if the edge-rushers and WRs they really like are off of their Board @ 16. And it' a deep draft for WRs,
better values may be in later rounds for teams this year.
Of course to really make an informed call on the Texans pick it all boils down to what the 15 teams drafting ahead of them Texans do, otherwise no way of knowing their options.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:00 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post
Bob, what do you think about best available OLB in the first and this WR in the second.

https://youtu.be/dVBfdOafAVs
Funches reminds me of a guy from the 2005 draft, USC Mike Williams and the Lions took him in the first round. I believe that Williams was a little faster.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Pro Bowler

Here's mine using Fanspeak with no trades. I'm sure most won't like it (esp the Gurley pick), but I do. I feel I'd end up with at least 6 future starters with the potential for more with the late RD guys:

16: RB - TODD GURLEY
Yep, I went there. Foster most likely has 1yr left here, which could give Gurley some more time to fully heal if need be. I can hear it now... RB is the least of our needs, and we could probably find a guy in the later rounds... Those might be valid arguments, but if I'm GM, I'm not passing up on a guy I feel has AP type talent. Blue is a nice backup.

51: CB - BYRON JONES
Insane athlete that will either play CB of FS on my team.

83: WR - PHILLIP DORSETT
Speedster, slot guy, KR/PR, take the top off the D, it's all taken care of here.

116: TE - JESSE JAMES
My redzone/endzone go-to guy. Let JJ take a breather and focus on D. Do it before something stupid happens lining him up on O!!

152: WR - DEANDRE SMELTER
Got my burner. Now I get my big-body possession/zone-eating/blocking crusher. He will make losing AJ not as difficult to bear (at least until he reams us up the you-know-what in a Colts uniform for the next year or two).

175: C - MAX GARCIA
Anyone else confident in Jones at C? Not, I. This guy supposedly is a high motor guy. A team captain that players, coaches, fans all love. Oh, and he loves to workout. Sounds good to me...

195: DE - FRANK CLARK
Yep, I went there. I know he's a HUGE risk, but he also has HIGH potential and this a 6th RD pick so I'm willing to gamble with it. The Seahawks weren't made with choirboys.

211: DT- LETERRIUS WALTON
Big man, with big potential and has the motivation. The anti-Nix, if you will. I have no confidence at all that human slug Nix will ever see the field --- at least with the Texans...

216: ILB - BRYCE HAGER
High motor guy. I have to get some ST thumpers with potential at some point.

235: OLB - JAMES VAUGHTERS
See above. Might even be ILB worthy.

As you can see, no QB. I'm waiting until next year where it appears the QB talent pool will be much deeper. I'm going into 2015 with a hot mess at QB and hoping Mallett is way more than anyone ever expected. If not, I get a higher pick next year to grab my future QB to go with my future stud RB. This year, I use my late picks on potential and/or building my STs, depth and core.

Last edited by popanot; 04-20-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:22 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Funches reminds me of a guy from the 2005 draft, USC Mike Williams and the Lions took him in the first round. I believe that Williams was a little faster.
Yea, I somewhat remember him.

Chickillo reminds me of Brooks Reed. Maybe a poor man's Reed.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:49 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post
Chickillo reminds me of Brooks Reed. Maybe a poor man's Reed.
I would be ecstatic with Brooks Reed with a Rookie salary. Or at least a guy who could make picking up Merciless's 5th year option, not a "need to do" scenario.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:24 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Here's mine using Fanspeak with no trades. I'm sure most won't like it (esp the Gurley pick), but I do. I feel I'd end up with at least 6 future starters with the potential for more with the late RD guys:

16: RB - TODD GURLEY
Yep, I went there. Foster most likely has 1yr left here, which could give Gurley some more time to fully heal if need be. I can hear it now... RB is the least of our needs, and we could probably find a guy in the later rounds... Those might be valid arguments, but if I'm GM, I'm not passing up on a guy I feel has AP type talent. Blue is a nice backup.

51: CB - BYRON JONES
Insane athlete that will either play CB of FS on my team.

83: WR - PHILLIP DORSETT
Speedster, slot guy, KR/PR, take the top off the D, it's all taken care of here.

116: TE - JESSE JAMES
My redzone/endzone go-to guy. Let JJ take a breather and focus on D. Do it before something stupid happens lining him up on O!!

152: WR - DEANDRE SMELTER
Got my burner. Now I get my big-body possession/zone-eating/blocking crusher. He will make losing AJ not as difficult to bear (at least until he reams us up the you-know-what in a Colts uniform for the next year or two).

175: C - MAX GARCIA
Anyone else confident in Jones at C? Not, I. This guy supposedly is a high motor guy. A team captain that players, coaches, fans all love. Oh, and he loves to workout. Sounds good to me...

195: DE - FRANK CLARK
Yep, I went there. I know he's a HUGE risk, but he also has HIGH potential and this a 6th RD pick so I'm willing to gamble with it. The Seahawks weren't made with choirboys.

211: DT- LETERRIUS WALTON
Big man, with big potential and has the motivation. The anti-Nix, if you will. I have no confidence at all that human slug Nix will ever see the field --- at least with the Texans...

216: ILB - BRYCE HAGER
High motor guy. I have to get some ST thumpers with potential at some point.

235: OLB - JAMES VAUGHTERS
See above. Might even be ILB worthy.

As you can see, no QB. I'm waiting until next year where it appears the QB talent pool will be much deeper. I'm going into 2015 with a hot mess at QB and hoping Mallett is way more than anyone ever expected. If not, I get a higher pick next year to grab my future QB to go with my future stud RB. This year, I use my late picks on potential and/or building my STs, depth and core.
I went and did a similar draft :
#16 RB Melvin Gordon (WRs and OLBs were taken )
#51 WR Breshad Perriman
#82 DB Eric Rowe
#116 WR Tyler Lockett
#152 TE Mycole Pruitt (Fastest TE in the draft with college production )
#175 ILB Mike Hull (Penn State)
#195 OL Arie Kouandjio (People Mover)
#211 OL Mitch Morse (Swing Tackle)
#216 DL Derrick Lott
#235 OLB Alani Fua
Old 04-20-2015, 12:31 PM
All-Pro

From CBS board, here is a list of the top 20 speedsters we might consider

player pos rank school class ht wt 40/sec
Jamarcus Nelson WR 31 UAB rSr 5/10 156 4.21
*Trae Waynes CB 1 Michigan StrJr 6/1 186 4.23
*Breshad PerrimanWR 4 UCF rJr 6/2 212 4.26
Kevin White WR 2 West Virginia Sr 6/3 215 4.27
Mario Alford WR 29 West Virginia Sr 5/8 180 4.27
Damiere Byrd WR 84 South Carolina Sr 5/9 173 4.27
Phillip Dorsett WR 6 Miami (Fla.) Sr 5/10 185 4.28
Corey Grant RB 24 Auburn rSr 5/9 201 4.28
Justin Cox CB 21 Mississippi State Sr 6/1 191 4.3
Joe Hill RB 37 Utah State Sr 5/10 184 4.3
*Amari Cooper WR 1 Alabama Jr 6/1 211 4.31
Tyler Lockett WR 13 Kansas State Sr 5/10 182 4.31
*Charles Gaines CB 20 Louisville rJr 5/10 180 4.31
Chris Conley WR 19 Georgia Sr 6/2 213 4.33
Josh Shaw CB 11 Southern California rSr 6/1 201 4.34
Shane Wynn WR 70 Indiana Sr 5/6 167 4.34
Taurean Nixon CB 74 Tulane rSr 5/11 187 4.36
Eric Rowe CB 6 Utah Sr 6/1 205 4.37
*Nelson Agholor WR 8 So Cal iJr 6/1 198 4.37
*Ronald Darby CB 7 Fl State Jr 5/11 193 4.37
Devin Smith WR 9 Ohio State Sr 6/1 196 4.37
*Sammie Coates WR 10 Auburn rJr 6/1 212 4.37
D'Joun Smith CB 10 Fl Atlantic Sr 5/10 187 4.37
Doran Grant CB 12 Ohio State Sr 5/10 200 4.37
Kenny Bell WR 20 Nebraska rSr 6/1 197 4.37
Old 04-20-2015, 06:21 PM
All-Pro

40 times are nice but can they catch the ball, can they hold onto the ball, can they tackle the guy with the ball, etc.?

At least with the combine, you have most of these guys on one equal track without wind. Back in the old days, it was more subjective.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:00 AM
Pro Bowler

Not as happy with this one. Made a trade w/PHL in RD3.

16: RB TODD GURLEY
51: WR BRESHAD PERRIMAN
82: Traded to PHL for Mychal Kendricks
116: OT DONOVAN SMITH
152: CB CHARLES GAINES
175: WR CHRIS CONLEY
195: C MAX GARCIA
211: DT LETERRIUS WALTON
216: DE FRANK CLARK
235: OLB JAMES VAUGHTERS
Old 04-21-2015, 10:31 AM
All-Pro

I did one last night with four trades - traded down w/Cincy for 1-21 and 2-21.
Traded 4th, 5th and 6th to Seattle for 3-31 then was traded down from 2-21 with Dallas to 2-29 for a 4th and 5th then traded back up to 4-1 when I saw Hronnis Grassu was still available and I had not taken a center.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:28 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
40 times are nice but can they catch the ball, can they hold onto the ball, can they tackle the guy with the ball, etc.?

At least with the combine, you have most of these guys on one equal track without wind. Back in the old days, it was more subjective.
Yeah, the speedsters are mostly WR and CB. for WR need to know a lot more for sure, like can they get open, break a tackle, ...,

The first number rank is their likely draft rank at the position, so top 10 can likely catch pretty good.

Hopefully a couple of these guys might also help on special teams returns and coverage.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Hall of Fame

Jeez, so what's the deal with WR Dorial Green-Beckham? 6'6", 225, 4.49 speed. A monster/beastly. 5-star athlete in high school. Projected by Rivals as the next Andre Johnson... Scores on the football field as well as on the street - likes his pot. Though the Texans dislike problem children, somebody's going to get a good athlete - the problem will be to keep him from screwing up.... It will be interesting to see who gives him a shot...
Old 04-21-2015, 05:27 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Jeez, so what's the deal with WR Dorial Green-Beckham? 6'6", 225, 4.49 speed. A monster/beastly. 5-star athlete in high school. Projected by Rivals as the next Andre Johnson... Scores on the football field as well as on the street - likes his pot. Though the Texans dislike problem children, somebody's going to get a good athlete - the problem will be to keep him from screwing up.... It will be interesting to see who gives him a shot...
They'll be getting the next Randy Moss or the next Justin Blackmon. That's all.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:15 AM
All-Pro

Default 04-23 Fanspeak draft w/trades

I think I would consider this my dream draft and, boy, was I working the trade phones to get what I wanted/needed. Other than getting a second o-lineman and addressing the safety position, this took care of every immediate need with players I really like (other than QB which needs another year to determine how to address).

Before the draft, the Lions wanted to trade up for our 1-16. I took it to get their 1-23 and 2-22. In case you're curious, they used 1-16 for Malcom Brown, DT, Texas.

I also traded my 4th, 5th and 6th to Seattle for 3-31.

Still, DTs and WRs were falling on the first-round board. I tapped into the Dallas Cowboys and they acquired 1-23 for 1-27, 4-28 and 5-27. They used 1-23 on Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska - who I didn't want.

At 1-27, my intended choice, WR Jaelen Strong, was still on the board but so was DT Danny Shelton from Washington who I decided was too great a value to pass up. Goodbye, Louis Nix.

That meant I still didn't have the WR I wanted so I dealt 2-19, 3-31 and 5-27 to Atlanta for 2-10 and hoped someone above that wanted Green-Beckham instead of Strong. Bingo. Strong was there at 2-10.

With the 2-22 I got from Detroit, I thought hard about Bernardrick McKinney before taking OLB Lorenzo Mauldin, Louisville. This kid has both DE and OLB experience so he won't have the learning curve most converted DEs have to a 3-4 and he's solid insurance if Clowney can't come back. I love McKinney but the ILB role is decreasing in the game so I'm willing to chance a mid-round pick instead of a premium one for that position.

Now, I'm back to just one third-rounder but Baltimore knocked with another deal. I moved down from 3-18 to 3-26 and picked up 4-23. With 3-26, I took Jesse James, TE, Penn St. whom I think will make a great tandem with Fiedorowicz - two solid blockers with mid-range receiving skills.

I'm holding my breath that the two guys I'm really hoping for will still be there late in the fourth. Indeed, they are! I nab C B.J. Finney, C, Kansas St at 4-23 to back up Ben Jones and Taiwan Jones, ILB, Michigan St. at 4-28 to cover the hole next to Brian Cushing.

I fill other needs with my comp pick and finally take a corner in the 7th. I'd like to have done more in the secondary but I love the rest of what I've done here:

27 (from DAL) - R1P27 DT DANNY SHELTON WASHINGTON
42 (from ATL) - R2P10 WR JAELEN STRONG ARIZONA STATE
54 (from DET) - R2P22 OLB LORENZO MAULDIN LOUISVILLE
90 (from BAL) - R3P26 TE JESSE JAMES PENN STATE
122 (from BAL) - R4P23 C B.J. FINNEY KANSAS STATE
127 (from DAL) - R4P28 ILB TAIWAN JONES MICHIGAN STATE
175 (comp) - R5P39 WR-KR TY MONTGOMERY STANFORD
211 (comp) - R6P35 DE-OLB DEION BARNES PENN STATE
216 (comp) - R6P40 RB-KR KARLOS WILLIAMS FLORIDA STATE
236 - R7P19 CB JACOREY SHEPHERD KANSAS

Last edited by HPF Bob; 04-23-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:25 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
27 (from DAL) - R1P27 DT DANNY SHELTON WASHINGTON
42 (from ATL) - R2P10 WR JAELEN STRONG ARIZONA STATE
54 (from DET) - R2P22 OLB LORENZO MAULDIN LOUISVILLE
90 (from BAL) - R3P26 TE JESSE JAMES PENN STATE
122 (from BAL) - R4P23 C B.J. FINNEY KANSAS STATE
127 (from DAL) - R4P28 ILB TAIWAN JONES MICHIGAN STATE
175 (comp) - R5P39 WR-KR TY MONTGOMERY STANFORD
211 (comp) - R6P35 DE-OLB DEION BARNES PENN STATE
216 (comp) - R6P40 RB-KR KARLOS WILLIAMS FLORIDA STATE
236 - R7P19 CB JACOREY SHEPHERD KANSAS
I love it when you get all these draft picks. I ran a mock for the Colts and went back to see who I would've taken for the Texans. Was surprised to see Jalen Strong was selected before DeVante Parker.

#27 WR Devante Parker
#42 DB Eric Rowe
#54 QB Bryce Petty
#90 OLB Anthony Chickillo
#122 ILB Jake Ryan
#127 TE Mycole Pruitt
#175 RB Cameron Artis-Payne
#211 OL Mitch Morse
#216 CB Justin Coleman
#236 WR Ty Montgomery

I selected Rowe over Stephone Anthony because I figured I would get an athletic ILB later, but wouldn't be able to get a FS who could also play CB. Mike Mayock now believes Damarious Randall is the #1 prospect over Landon Collins, so go figure. I'm hoping that taking Petty with my 3rd pick doesn't mean that I have to start him right away but can sit him on the beach while he learnsthe Offense. I took Pruitt over James because he is better suited for being a pass-catching TE. Fedorowicz is already my blocking TE. Artis-Payne gives me depth, without spending a 1st round pick on Gordon or Gurley. I would be ecstatic with this.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:12 PM
All-Pro

In my mind, I wrestle James vs. Pruitt as well. I think O'Brien wants to be a grind-it-out running coach which means he wants TEs who can be plus blockers on the line and willing to sacrifice the deep speed a Maxx Williams or Mycoll Pruitt offer. At 6-7, James is *always* going to be open against these 6-1, 6-2 safeties. Part of Gronk's success is that he's 6-7 so Brady can always find him.

I'm also weighing the fact that O'Brien is going to know what type of guy/player James is from Penn State and have his own opinion whereas Pruitt, from a smaller school, wasn't seeing top flight competition (as much as I joke about how the Big 14 sucks).

I wouldn't be sad to see us take Pruitt over James. He does mean we can take someone else good in the 3rd (although some mocks have Pruitt rising).

I agree about Rowe. He shows up in many of my mocks for the same reason - he can play FS. He can play CB. He'll be a top special teams guy while he learns the ropes and he's a solid tackler.

I'm starting to see Taiwan Jones as our best ILB option. His profile fits exactly what we want at the position and he won't cost us a second or third the way some other top LBs will. That allows me to fill the DE-OLB spot with someone more capable of playing right away.

IMO, replacing AJ is the top priority so I want Strong or Parker if possible. Most of the top DE-OLBs are gone by the time 2-19 rolls around. I think it's entirely possible that the Texans use 1-16 on Shane Ray or Bud Dupree and take a WR in the 2nd or 3rd but he probably won't be the total-package WR that I'm looking for to replace Andre and take pressure off Hopkins.

I could also be talked into a DT in the first if a good one falls to us which is what I did with Shelton but only after trading down twice to 27 and still finding him there.

I also run Denver Bronco mocks and I look to see who the computer drafted for the Texans. One time, Marcus Mariota fell to 1-16 and we took him. I might have posted it here but the rest of their picks were just terrible so I didn't.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:26 PM
All-Pro

I could see us taking Jesse James for the reasons you cited. I am only stating why I selected Pruitt. He had a lot of catches against small school competition, but he is accustomed to having the ball thrown his way. Maybe a very poor man's Shannon Sharpe.

I was hoping that the rest of the league would be focusing on Trae Waynes, Kevin Johnson, Marcus Peters, Jalen Collins, and Byron Jones and Eric Rowe would slip under the radar. I mean, he is bigger than those guys, can tackle, has played Safety and CB, and will probably be the most successful of the group. The fact that Demarious Randall is "flying up draft boards" means people are realizing the importance of the position in a passing league and the dearth of talent to fulfill the need. I would simply assign him to cover the pass-catching TEs we face, like Fleener. Anyway, if I can see his highlights and compare his measurables, I am sure that NFL GMs can too. It won't surprise me if he's drafted in the first round.

Taiwan Jones is similar to Bernardick McKinney, but not as athletic. Good downhill thumpers who stop the run, but never on the field in passing downs because of the liability in coverage. We have Cushing already, so I want a complimentary ILB who can handle the RB in pass coverage. The guys like Alexander, Hicks, Heeney, or Ryan are "Nickle-Linebackers" sort of "bulked up Kam Chancellor - types.

I won't be surprised if Bud Dupree is our first pick and would be fine with it. Unless Amari Cooper or Kevin White is still on the board. If Parker is there, I might raise an eyebrow, but would understand. I'm higher on Chickillo than most and I sometimes try to wait until the 3rd round, and then miss out on him and have to settle for a Kyle Emanuel or Alani Fua. So, getting the OLB early relieved the stress of potential for missing out.

If we go OLB first and WR after, Devin Smith, Phillip Dorsett, Jalen Strong, Breshad Perriman, Tyler Lockett, those guys are going to add to the talent.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:57 PM
Regular Starter

I'm glad you brought up Fua. Call me crazy, but I really like Alani Fua as a SS/nickel LB. He's got the same measureables as Kam, 6'4" and 235, and his 3 cone and shuttle #'s are better than almost all the safeties. Worst case is he becomes a great ST player. I could see us taking a flier on him in the 5th or 6th.

Last edited by Blitzwood; 04-23-2015 at 10:07 PM.