IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2010, 02:37 AM
Hall of Fame

Default Official Texans @ Redskins Game Thread, 9/19/2010

Next up, the Texans will be hitting the road for their first away game. It should be a good'un as the Texans will do combat with some old friends on the other sideline. Hopefully, the passing game will make an appearance and reassure fans that yes, there still is a passing game in the Texans arsenal and that Mr. Foster won't be needed as much. But hey, they should do whatever it takes because you never know when you'll be surrounded by Redskins.

TV = 3pm CBS late game (Channel 11 local)

Announcers = Ian Eagle, Dan Fouts

Opening line = Texans by 2
Current line = Texans by 2.5 to 3

Set your DVR's.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:58 AM
All-Pro

I don't mind if the passing game keeps under wraps if we continue to run this effectively. The wonderful thing about a great ground game is that they rarely beat themselves. A passing-based offense can be plagued by tipped balls, dropsies, high winds, etc. A great running game can only be plagued by fumblitits or knee injuries.

Still, I'm not sold that we're a great running team until I see them repeat the Colts game two or three more times. I think it was a special circumstance. Back when Kubiak was the OC in Denver, they went into Indy and upset the Colts by getting the lead and taking the air out of the ball, consuming time of possession to the point that Manning had to be perfect to catch up. That strategy worked again Sunday.

The Skins have a great secondary and a so-so front seven so I expect the ground game will need to show up again this week. They have plenty of weapons on offense but they didn't look very coordinated in the opening week.

I have to believe that both teams are going to have a little letdown after defeating a key division rival to open the season. I'm frankly surprised that the Texans are favored since the peripheral factors don't favor the Texans.

The key things I would look at are how successful the Texans are at moving the ball early and whether McNabb is in sync with his offense. Keep in mind that the Redskins offense failed to score a touchdown on Sunday. McNabb lost a lot of time this training camp due to injury and I thought they looked rusty.

The Texans have never beaten the Redskins and I'm not sold that they are good enough to go on the road in September and win there this week. If they do, well, maybe the Texans are turning the corner we've all been waiting for.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:47 PM
All-Pro

So I am optimistic as usual and expecting another win this week.

Both teams are 1-0 and feel happy about beating good teams in week 1. Hope the Texans continue their intensity and consistency week by week and all season.

Fed-ex field holds 92,000 fans, outdoors, always a sellout, and is very loud making play calling difficult for opposing teams.

Kyle Shanahan and Ray Wright are two ex-Texan coaches from last year with the Redskins this year. And Philip Buchanan and Rex Greossman appear to be ex -Texans players with Redskins now. Maybe I missed someone.

Of course most Texan coaches and system came from Mike Shanahan in Denver so offenses should be similar system, but different personnel.

Looks like Redskins have practically no one hurt or on IR yet compared to Texans.

Redskins RB's are Larry Johnson, 32, and Clinton Portis, 31, but both are strong, healthy, and have many great years. Our defense will be quicker than Redskins offense, I think.

Texans RB's, Foster and Slayton, both 24, and Derrick Ward is 30. I guess all three will get the ball some this week. Can't expect RB to do as good as last week, but hopefully pretty good against the Skins 3 big DL in their 3-4 system. We'll see if our OL is strong enough to keep these guys off Shaub and our RB's.

Then there is the Albert Haynesworth factor, is he gonna be motivated and how many reps will he get?

If our two lines, OL and DL continue doing well, I think Texans will do well. And maybe we can win the turnover battle, that would be nice.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
...... I'm frankly surprised that the Texans are favored since the peripheral factors don't favor the Texans.......
Here's what Walter of walterfootball.com said about that:

Quote:
First, this line is completely inflated. A week ago, the Redskins would have been -2 or -3. Houston being favored by three is a complete overreaction - whether warranted or not.

Second, the Texans just enjoyed the biggest win in franchise history. How can they possibly match that same intensity against the Redskins?

And third, Washington offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan held the exact same position with the Texans last year. If there's anyone who knows Schaub's weaknesses, it's the son of Mike Shanahan.
He also offers this about overrated teams:

Quote:
Overrated NFL Teams:

A good handicapper is always aware of which teams are overrated and underrated by the public. I'll attempt to list the teams I think are the most overrated and underrated each week. Keep in mind that even if a team is listed here, that doesn't mean that I think lowly of them; they are simply overrated in Vegas' eyes. These are the squads that Vegas can boost the spread on....

.....Houston Texans - I love the Texans - I had them going to the AFC Championship in my season previews - but the line movement (Redskins would have been -3 a week ago) and betting action on them is absolutely insane right now.....
(He also listed the Chiefs and Cowboys as overrated, i.e., in the eyes of the public).

This ain't no gimme game for the Texans. The coaching staff really needs to make sure that the team's heads remain secured in place going into this game....
Old 09-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Undrafted Rookie

For me, this is an absolutely critical game for the Texans.

If this is the same-old Texans they’ll come out in this game flat and lay an egg. This is a classic let down game and the really good teams play with consistency. If the team comes out and plays hard, and has success, we’ll have a pretty good signal that a new breed of team has come to Houston. Either way I’ve never been this excited about a week two game in franchise history.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndZoneSeats View Post
For me, this is an absolutely critical game for the Texans.

If this is the same-old Texans they’ll come out in this game flat and lay an egg. This is a classic let down game and the really good teams play with consistency. If the team comes out and plays hard, and has success, we’ll have a pretty good signal that a new breed of team has come to Houston. Either way I’ve never been this excited about a week two game in franchise history.
You summed up how I am feeling exactly
Old 09-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Regular Starter

The great thing about football is that it is so unpredictable. I never thought before the preseason that Schaub's decision making would be a concern to me, but it is. I can't really figure out what is going on with him. I'll be watching to see whether he straightens it out.

Another thing I'll be watching is whether JJ has the dropsies again. I think he's doing the same thing as a receiver that he was doing as a returner, that is, he's too focused on breaking a long run and not enough on just catching the damn ball. If that his problem right now, I think it's correcable.

I'm also going to be watching to see whether Okoye gets pressure again. I have always wondered why we drafted him if we weren't going to let him shoot gaps, because that's what he was great at in college. Maybe with the new coach in charge, Amobe's going to have a breakout year.

I'm also going to watch to see whether Mario is the savage this week that he was last week. Last week, I would have hated to have been the man assigned to stop him. Mario may just be on the verge of harnessing his awesome physical abilities. If he is, then watch out NFL.

Also, this week may give us a better idea of what we have right now in Jackson. I think playing well against Manning was a little too much to expect from him. If he looks bad against Washington, I'm going to be disappointed.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 PM
All-Pro

We need to run it well again this week. Dallas ran it well all night and struggled to pass effectively. And yet they threw it twice as much as the passed (that's what happens when your OC is trying to show how smart he is while auditioning for head jobs).

I honestly thought Washington looked pretty bad on Sunday and was very fortunate the Cowboys handed them the game. Additionally, all the factors that would concern me about the Texans are true for the Redskins (coming off of a big emotional win over a division rival).

McNabb has never been a very accurate passer and I hope we force him to move the chains and take away the deep ball like we did with Manning. If we do they will struggle badly on offense.

I think we are playing with confidence and that is not a bad thing. And I don't think Schaub struggles for a 2nd game in a row. I also think we are going to score points, and I don't know if that Redskins offense can score enough to keep up. I just don't think this is the trap game everyone is making it out to be. Avoid big turnover issues and its Texans by double figures.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Pro Bowler

We should roll......

That's all I have to say about that
Old 09-16-2010, 02:47 PM
All-Pro

Hou - 21 Wash - 18
The game will come down to turnovers and time of possession. I suspect the team that scores the most points will win.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Pro Bowler

.............And not throwing into double coverage when we do throw!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:36 PM
All-Pro

34 - 17 Texans
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Regular Starter

Houston will have a twenty yard field goal attempt to win in the last 10 seconds, and Rackers will miss it.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Regular Starter

Here's the Texans Bull Blog preview of the game:

I’m having a difficult time breaking this game down. The Texans have never been in this position before, really. They physically dominated the Colts in week one and are a road favorite heading into week 2. Not only are they a road favorite, there is nothing about tomorrow’s matchup that favors the Redskins. Perhaps the Texans are due for an emotional letdown after that win versus Indianapolis. However, the Redskins had an even more intense and emotional win versus Dallas on Sunday night. So, let us focus on some key matchups on the field and ignore intangibles for week two, since I simply can not figure them out:

Keys to the game:

1. Texans’ offensive line and TEs versus Redskins front 7: The size of the Redskin front 3 could create problems for the O-line, and the ability of Orakpo and A.Carter to rush on the edge will keep the Texans honest and force Schaub to make some quick decisions. I expect a lot of two TE sets. My guess is OD and Dressen will each see significant snaps and they will often play on the line of scrimmage or flanked just behind the Brown and Winston. The TE blocking was a key versus Indianapolis. Even moreso this week, the ability to use TEs to reach the LBs in the run game is a key against 3-4 defenses. Also, Daniels, Dressen, and Casey all will have a significant matchup advantage in the passing game versus Redskin LBs. Carter and Orakpo are essentially DEs… and, Fletcher has lost a step and is at a height disadvantage against the Texan TEs.

2. Better play from Matt Schaub- The Texans don’t have a clear advantage running the ball against Washington as they did versus Indy. In addition to a couple poor throws, Schaub forced some balls into tight spaces and missed open WRs. He may need a cleaner game to win on Sunday. Also, Jacoby Jones needs to catch the ball better. Two balls hit off his hands and almost led to turnovers last week. Last season against New England, Schaub bounced a ball off of Jones’ hands that led to a 70 yard interception return. A couple mistakes like that could turn this game in the Redskins’ favor.

3. Deep Passing Game- Given the aggressive and inexperienced nature of the Redskins safeties, the Texans will have a number of opportunities downfield. Watch for the Andre Johnson deep cross and up. The Texans frequently run a play where AJ reads the safety and either continues on a 15 yard cross or takes it upfield, depending on his read of the safety. That play will be there against Landry and Reed Doughty. Also, the TEs are going to end up with some one on one matchups with LBs. Look for some seam routes from OD and Dressen with Redsking LBs trailing and the safeties out of position in cover 2.

4. Adibi versus Redskin running game- This will be Adibi’s first significant action since early last season. If you recall last preseason, Adibi often overpursued his assignment and was responsible for some long TD runs. The key to the Texans’ success versus the run since week four of last season has been their discipline in the scheme. When everyone does his job along the front 7, even if they can’t make a play, an unblocked Bernard Pollard is there to clean up the trash. Missed assignments more than physical beatings are what lead to big plays in the running game. This is probably my greatest concern… other than turnovers.

5. Texans Front 4 Versus another poor O-line- Once again, Mario and Antonio Smith will have a significant matchup advantage against Redskin tackles. Trent Williams is a rookie, starting his second game and Jamal Brown is a shell of the player he was three years ago. Brown also has injury issues and may not play. If the Texans can control the line of scrimmage with the front 4 and pressure the QB, the lack of playmakers on the Redskin offense will be exposed. However, if the Redskins can somehow push around the Texans, TEs Cooley and Fred Davis will find some room in the middle of the field.

It is hard to imagine the Texans not controlling this game. However, it is also a rather new concept that the Texans are a consistently good team. I am nervous about this game but not because I think they will lose it. Instead, I’m nervous about how awful it will be if they do… They would have to play so poorly, it would be unbelievably frustrating and disappointing. Texans 27 Redskins 13
Old 09-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Drafted Rookie

Default Call me a Homer...

...but I will be surprised if we don't take this game buy 2+ touchdowns. In my eyes the overrated team is Washington. There D is marginally better than Indy but the offense is slow and discombobulated. Cooley will rack up yards but McNabb will eventually kill drives throwing at receivers feet. We should be good for a couple of picks as Washington will be playing catchup all afternoon.

Texans 34
Skins 13

Foster runs for 120yrds/2tds
Schaub throws for 280yds/2tds
Johnson catches 10 for 140yds/1td

Wash will repeatedly try to stack the line and Johnson will repeatedly burn the 1 on 1 coverage....forcing them to back off where foster takes over
Old 09-19-2010, 10:51 AM
All-Pro

Keep in mind, this will be Kubiak/Dennison vs Shanny/Shanny so there will be few secrets and we'll be ready when the Redskins run a slow white boy reverse or a dump pass to the fullback in the flat.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp View Post
...but I will be surprised if we don't take this game buy 2+ touchdowns. In my eyes the overrated team is Washington. There D is marginally better than Indy but the offense is slow and discombobulated. Cooley will rack up yards but McNabb will eventually kill drives throwing at receivers feet. We should be good for a couple of picks as Washington will be playing catchup all afternoon.

Texans 34
Skins 13

Foster runs for 120yrds/2tds
Schaub throws for 280yds/2tds
Johnson catches 10 for 140yds/1td

Wash will repeatedly try to stack the line and Johnson will repeatedly burn the 1 on 1 coverage....forcing them to back off where foster takes over
While I don't agree with the stats, I feel this is a game that the Texans can blow a team out. I expect the Texans Defense to dominate. I just know that the Texans have always disappointed me when I feel they should mop the floor with someone. Granted, the Texans really haven't looked good enough to me for these disappointments to be statistically relevant.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Hall of Fame

Correction: 3:15 pm CST kickoff.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Pro Bowler

Let's get it done, boys!
Old 09-19-2010, 03:15 PM
All-Pro

Titans lose. Pittsburgh is now 2-0 without a quarterback.