IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2020, 09:02 PM
All-Pro

Default Could a low-key NFL draft still be held?

One sport that fortunately doesn't need to suspend themselves is the National Football League. That's because it's the dead of winter in their sport which concluded in early February with the Super Bowl.

The combine has concluded so the next "Big Event" is the NFL Draft which has gone on the road in recent years. I may be entirely wrong but I think this year's was going to be in Las Vegas as part of the lead-up to the Raiders' inaugural season there.

For most, the draft is just a tv show and I think it could still be done - just without some of the hoopla and fans. In the old days, it was just a bunch of men on the telephone and the commissioner (or his flunkies) announced each pick which was then fed to a teletype to all cities.

There's really no reason not to just connect all the war rooms by video conference if necessary and hold the first internet draft .- sponsored by Skype or WhatsApp! Detoxing sports junkies will be grateful for at least some semblance of normalcy while all the other sports go on hold.

Don't chicken, Goodell. Give us the draft.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:53 AM
All-Pro

Goodell says the NFL Draft will go on as planned except it won't be the star-studded spectacular in Las Vegas that was envisioned. It will be done as a televised conference call. While some teams protest they haven't had enough time and access to accurately assess potential draft picks but I think teams are already overloaded with data and analysis and they still select busts from time to time (Paxton Lynch, anyone?)

The draft is a crapshoot. I suppose if I were the head of scouting, I wouldn't want my job hanging on kids I couldn't interview but, heck, you had the combine and you still have a telephone. Drop a dime on the kid or his coach.

What I like is that the NFL's ratings for the draft ought to be as big as ever because it's the only newsworthy sports event in town. The draft normally competes with baseball, NBA and NHL playoffs, tennis golf and whatever else. Little to none of that will compete for eyeballs this April.

Plus, I appreciate one league that is trying to keep on schedule in this moment of panic. True, it's a blessing of good timing. The NFL is not in part of their season like the other sports but, hey, you play with the hand you are dealt.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:13 PM
All-Pro

Was listening to old-timer John McClain on 610 radio the other day talking about the NFL drafts way back in the 1950s when they had 30 rounds of drafting and of course there was no ESPN or NFL network or anykind of TV coverage in those days.
Their little 7-round Draft next month will be just fine without Vegas and will probably go off without a hitch.