IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 04-05-2010, 06:42 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan View Post
Why are you waiting til the 6th round to fill our biggest need?
I dunno but maybe he's planning on playing Thomas more as a corner than a safety ? This is one of Thomas's big selling points you know, his versitility.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:30 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan View Post
Why are you waiting til the 6th round to fill our biggest need?
1. S Earl Thomas
2. OG Jon Asamoah
3. RB Ben Tate
4. RB Jonathan Dwyer
5. DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim
6. CB Kevin Thomas
6. LB Simoni Lawrence
7. CB Crezdon Butler

I don't think that the draft is meant to be used to fill needs in a corresponding manner. In other words, if you have a priority of 1 at CB then you HAVE to draft a CB in the 1st round and if your second priority is at RB then the 2nd round draft pick has to be a RB, etc. The draft is meant to get the most talented players on your team with an eye towards needs. Earl Thomas should be a top 12 pick and since we need a FS, we would be crazy to pass on him. The interior OL needs upgrading or it won't matter who our RB is and Asamoah is the ONLY OG in this draft that has the athleticism to play in our ZBS and the TALENT to start. So, we could wait on Shawn Lauvao, but he won't make an impact. The team has no credible run threat, so defenses will be pinning their ears back and kill Schaub unless we make them respect the possibility of a running game. So, I went after Tate, mainly because I was afraid there would be no legitimate RBs later in the draft.

Now, to the main reason I waited until the 6th round to draft a CB. I have no faith in this CB class to be able to produce an all-around CB. I'd love to spend #20 and get Revis to shut down one side of the field. Unfortunately, this class doesn't have that type of CB in it. Either the guy is slow, or not physical, or can't play man coverage, or gets lost in Zone coverage, or can't tackle, has no ball skills for interceptions, or bites on play action. All of the CBs have weaknesses. So, I figure why not get a late round CB where I can choose which strengths I want. Kevin Thomas is a complete CB and the reason he's under the radar is because of a history of injuries. He held up pretty well as a Senior and tested well at the Combine, so I may have spent a 6th on him, but I think he'll plays as well as the 2nd round pick I would have spent on Kareem Jackson or Dominique Franks. Crezdon Butler has good awareness and ball skills. He's not as fast as I'd prefer, but he has good quickness and would be great in the slot. He'd be better than Brice McCain in my opinion. I also feel as if I've upgraded the Secondary immensely by putting Earl Thomas in the middle of the field, so my CBs can be of lesser talent. If I had known I could get Dwyer in the 4th round, I would have drafted Geno Atkins in the 3rd round to go along with Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, to improve the pass-rush, thus improving the secondary. You live and learn.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
The interior OL needs upgrading or it won't matter who our RB is ...
Disagree. The interior of the line needs upgrading, but the RB does matter. A guy that hits a hole as it is opening is going to do much better than one that waits till the hole is opened. Even if all the RB does is force the defense to stop him, he can keep DEs from pinning their ears back.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Joe View Post
Disagree. The interior of the line needs upgrading, but the RB does matter. A guy that hits a hole as it is opening is going to do much better than one that waits till the hole is opened. Even if all the RB does is force the defense to stop him, he can keep DEs from pinning their ears back.

The problem I saw was the DT tackling the RB as Schaub was handing off, or the OG being pushed into the backfield so that there was NO hole being opened.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
The problem I saw was the DT tackling the RB as Schaub was handing off, or the OG being pushed into the backfield so that there was NO hole being opened.
That happens, but no where near every play. It happened a lot the first two to three weeks. I saw a lot more times that the RB stops in the backfield or stutters trying to find a hole. If there is no hole, you get as far as you can and force the defense to make the tackle instead of waiting for defense to tackle you behind line of scrimmage. Doing this helps the RB fall forward.

Slaton was very slow to the line last season. Yes, the RB will be limited to get tackled behind the line of scrimmage a lot, but that doesn't change that the RB can do a lot in the plays that he is able to get quickly to the line.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:29 PM
All-Pro

The Texans' DC shows Brice McCain starting at one corner with some dude signed off of the NOLA practice squad named Mark Parson as his immediate backup ? Therefor I'm for moving in the Draft much before the 6th round to get what will be a very beleaguered twosome this Fall some help, even if the value falls short in earlier rounds.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:24 PM
All-Pro

OK, for you chicken littles out there, here you go...

20. CB Devin McCourty 5'11" 186 4.48 Rutgers
51. CB/S Chris Cook 6'2" 210 4.46 Virginia
81. S Darrell Stuckey 5'11" 205 4.49 Kansas
118. CB Alterraun Verner 5'10" 185 4.52 UCLA
150. RB Joique Bell 5'11" 220 4.68 Wayne St
187. DT Earl Mitchell 6'2" 296 4.75 Arizona
197. OG Shelley Smith 6'3" 300 5.03 Colorado State
227. OC Joe Hawley 6'3" 297 5.21 UNLV
UDFA. RB Pat Paschall 6'0" 209 4.65 N.Dakota State
Old 04-06-2010, 12:02 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
new 7 round mock from draftsite.com

20 Dez Bryant* WR Oklahoma State
51 Nate Allen S South Florida
82 Amari Spievey* CB Iowa
119 Jarrett Brown QB West Virginia
151 Charles Scott RB LSU
188 Jeff Byers OG USC
198 Kion Wilson ILB South Florida
228 Kenny Alfred OC Washington State
Ok, updated my board and ran it against the draftsite.com mock tonight.

20. DT Dan Williams 6'3" 327 5.17 Tennessee
51. CB Patrick Robinson 5'11" 194 4.46 Florida St
82. CB/FS Brandon Ghee 6'0" 191 4.45 Wake Forest
119. RB Ben Tate 5'11" 218 4.43 Auburn
151. DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim 6'4" 263 4.73 Washington
188. CB Alterraun Verner 5'10" 185 4.52 UCLA
198. CB Trevard Lindley 5'11" 180 4.53 Kentucky
228. RB Lonyae Miller 5'11" 220 4.52 Fresno St.

I will have to say that I'm pretty pleased with this draft. I'd have liked some OL prospects but this draft is kind of bare of talent in my opinion after the 2nd round. I got 1 very talented 1st rounder, followed by what I have as 3 2nd round talents (Robinson, Ghee, Tate), and 2 4th round talents (Te'o-Nesheim & Verner), and 2 5th round picks in Lindley and Miller. All of that without a single trade I wonder if the teams come out feeling that way after they draft. Scratching their heads wondering how they made out like bandits with all this talent. No wonder they all say how the draft was so wonderful. Your treasure is everyone else's trash.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Ok, updated my board and ran it against the draftsite.com mock tonight.
I know we need some defensive backs but to draft 4 seems excessive. I believe I would rather see some offensive line people take the place of the late round picks. We can't add 4 DB's without cutting 3 of our own. They would have to be substantially better than what we have to make it not a waste of picks. I know simulators are hard to work with but did you get the outcome you wanted?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRocket View Post
I know we need some defensive backs but to draft 4 seems excessive. I believe I would rather see some offensive line people take the place of the late round picks. We can't add 4 DB's without cutting 3 of our own. They would have to be substantially better than what we have to make it not a waste of picks. I know simulators are hard to work with but did you get the outcome you wanted?
Pay no attention, he's just being sarcastic about a comment from another poster.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:49 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
The Texans' DC shows Brice McCain starting at one corner with some dude signed off of the NOLA practice squad named Mark Parson as his immediate backup ?
LCB - Quinn, Reeves, Bennett
RCB - McCain, Parson
SS - Pollard, Ferguson
FS - Busing, Russell

After the draft....

LCB - Quinn, Reeves, Verner
RCB - Robinson, McCain, Lindley
SS - Pollard, Fuguson
FS - Ghee, Russell

Perhaps Lindley goes to the practice squad or perhaps he takes Bryan Pittman's spot on the roster and we let Joel Dreesen become the Long Snapper.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
All-Pro

Strengths:
Outstanding athlete --- Excellent speed and acceleration --- Quick and agile --- Super fluid hips and transitions well --- Terrific feet --- Closes in a hurry and has a burst to recover --- Good height and bulk --- Strong with a chiseled physique --- Great leaping ability --- Good hands and ball skills --- Is effective in both man and zone coverage --- Tough, physical and feisty --- Gets a good jam at the line of scrimmage --- A decent tackler --- Still has lots of upside --- Fantastic program pedigree.

Weaknesses:
Inconsistent --- Concentration will wane --- Questionable instincts and awareness --- Is too aggressive at times --- Not a violent hitter --- Just an average run defender --- Some off-the-field issues --- Durability may be a concern --- Doesn't make enough impact plays --- Underachiever ?
http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...k-Robinson.php
I've seen this same kind of ratings about Robinson on other Draft sites, which is he's arguably the most talented, certainly the best pure athlete of all the CBs but not at all instinctive, prone to be inconsistant.
But for all we know the Texans may rate him the best corner in the Draft ?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:19 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Doesn't make enough impact plays --- Underachiever ?

certainly the best pure athlete of all the CBs but not at all instinctive, prone to be inconsistant.
But for all we know the Texans may rate him the best corner in the Draft ?
If they are like me, he's the 3rd best. Right behind Eric Berry & Earl Thomas.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:51 AM
All-Pro

I know DC is posted, but there are other safeties already on the roster, signed for another couple years, Eugene Wilson, Dominic Barber and Troy Nolan who were injured at end of 2009, but should be back. But who knows how draft and where upgrades will be, following BP when they do draft. 15 more days.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:19 AM
All-Pro

OK the huddlerreport.com has updated their list.

What would I do with the guys in their order?
20 CB Kyle Wilson
51 RB Toby Gerhart
82 RB Ben Tate
119 DT Linval Joseph
151 OG Marshall Newhouse
188 OG/OC Jeff Byers
198 CB Joshua Moore
228 DT Jay Ross

They have a computer 6 round mock

20 LB Sean Weatherspoon Missouri
51 CB Patrick Robinson Florida St
81 RB Anthony Dixon Mississippi St
118 QB Jarrett Brown West Virginia
150 S Myron Rolle Florida St
187 OG Jeff Byers USC
197 WR *Freddie Barnes Bowling Green

My cherry of the mock

20 LB Sean Weatherspoon Missouri
51 DT Lamarr Houston Texas
81 CB Syd'Quan Thompson California
118 RB James Starks Buffalo
150 OG Marshall Newhouse TCU
187 OC Jeff Byers USC
197 CB Brian Jackson Oklahoma
Old 04-10-2010, 04:33 AM
All-Pro

I could not sleep so I thought about a big change of pace.

Trade down with the Jets at 29, get Jets 2010 2nd (61), and give our 2011 4th

29 Maurkice Pouncey* OC Florida
51 Jon Asamoah OG Illinois
61 Major Wright* S Florida
81 Montario Hardesty RB Tennessee
118 Jerome Murphy CB South Florida
135 Torrell Troup DT Central Florida
187 Lonyae Miller RB Fresno State
197 Donovan Warren* CB Michigan
227 Fendi Onobun TE Houston

The OL is fixed. You got one of the 3 best RB for your system. Wright and Murphy are big hitters. Troup could be the NT we have been looking for.

Alot of these picks come from here
Old 04-10-2010, 02:19 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Trade down with the Jets at 29, get Jets 2010 2nd (61), and give our 2011 4th

29 Maurkice Pouncey* OC Florida
51 Jon Asamoah OG Illinois
61 Major Wright* S Florida
81 Montario Hardesty RB Tennessee
118 Jerome Murphy CB South Florida
135 Torrell Troup DT Central Florida
187 Lonyae Miller RB Fresno State
197 Donovan Warren* CB Michigan
227 Fendi Onobun TE Houston
29 RB Ryan Matthews
51 FS Brandon Ghee
61 OG Jon Asamoah
81 DT Geno Atkins
118 DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim
135 CB Kevin Thomas
187 RB Andre Anderson
197 CB Crezdon Butler
227 WR Stephen Williams

I didn't want to draft a RB 1st, but after the trade down, he was the BPA. It was nice though, I was able to get Asamoah, Atkins, and Te'o-Nesheim to go along with Ghee. Since I was able to also get Thomas and Butler, it allows me to move Ghee to FS.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Regular Starter

1. Maurkice Pouncey, OC
2. Morgan Burnett, FS
3. Lamarr Houston, DT
4. Perrish Cox, CB
5. Charles Scott, RB
6a. Walter McFadden, CB
6b. Dexter McCluster, RB/WR
7. Kavell Conner, OLB

I went with REAL help on the offensive line in the 1st, no more 3-4 NT's tossing aside our C and blowing up plays. I chose Burnett because of his versatility, he can play any position in the backfield, but he'll most likely start at FS. I address the DT's next, Okoye now becomes a backup. I take a flyer on Cox in the 4th since he's still on the board. After addressing our O-line issue, I picked up the best downhill/goal line runner still available, Charles Scott, to complement Slaton and Foster in the 5th. In the 6th, I get some insurance at our two positions of biggest needs in case of injury OR any unforeseen knucklehead behavior. In the 7th round I find a new WILL to challenge our current 7th round WILL.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:09 PM
All-Pro

A another site I like Great Blue North Draft Report has a ranking of the top 250 players, it title top 100 but has been expanded.

Using their ranking I would take:
20 Maurkice Pouncey C Florida BPA available with no trade down available, Smith Pouncey Caldwell would be the middle starters
51 Nate Allen FS South Florida
81 Jerome Murphy CB South Florida
119 Mike Johnson OG Alabama Makes Smith a backup at some point
151 Zane Beadles OG Utah more versatile depth, never to much depth
187 Andre Anderson RB Tulane
197 Reji Karim RB Southern Illinois
227 Vince Oghobaase DT Duke

Boy I want some more picks in the late 2nd to 5th rounds.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:48 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
A another site I like Great Blue North Draft Report

I would take:
20 Maurkice Pouncey C Florida BPA available with no trade down available, Smith Pouncey Caldwell would be the middle starters
51 Nate Allen FS South Florida
81 Jerome Murphy CB South Florida
119 Mike Johnson OG Alabama Makes Smith a backup at some point
151 Zane Beadles OG Utah more versatile depth, never to much depth
187 Andre Anderson RB Tulane
197 Reji Karim RB Southern Illinois
227 Vince Oghobaase DT Duke
I don't think that I like this mock draft very much since I came away with 3 OL, a QB, and no RBs? I suppose at some point I should have came off the board and reached, but the RB's & CB's kept coming off right before I picked.

20 LB Sean Weatherspoon - BPA
51 OG Jon Asamoah - Can paly C or RG
81 DT Geno Atkins - pass rush from the middle
118 OC JD Walton - severely underrated on this board.
150 QB Dan LeFevour - I know, but I just couldn't pass at this point.
187 S Robert Johnson - A ballhawk to get INTs
197 OC Eric Olsen - BPA at this point
227 CB Crezdon Butler - I got one CB.