IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 03-25-2015, 05:17 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
IMO, a franchise QB is the biggest need this team has. Has ever had!!
I agree with your point. I just don't have faith that either Winston or Mariota are going to be a Franchise QB. And the risk if they are a bust is too great.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:11 PM
All-Pro

I'm not convinced that either Winston or Mariota is the real deal. If they are, there's no way they are lasting to the #16 pick but if they DO happen to get to the #16 pick and we decided we don't want the risk, I'm *immediately* on the phone with Philly, Cleveland and a few others on what they would give for a trade down. SOMEBODY is going to want to jump in and grab them. Then the only question becomes what price is enough for us to pull the trigger on a trade.

I routinely get offers in Fanspeak (again, not exactly real life) to trade down into the 20-23 range for a 1st and a 2nd and I usually accept because Jaelen Strong is usually available (IMO, he's equal to Parker) and then I have the ability to add another very strong player like an ILB, a S, or a C without waiting for the third round.

The results are rather satisfying.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:00 AM
All-Pro

Walter has his newest mock up with a few of the extra picks in it. But most of the picks have not changed.

16 Houston Texans: Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
Quote:
Todd Gurley to the Texans!? Don't they have Arian Foster? Sure, but Foster is usually banged up, and Todd Gurley, despite his injury, would be too good for Houston to pass up at No. 16. The Texans don't have a quarterback, and it doesn't look like they'll be able to get one this offseason - Brian Hoyer doesn't really count - so they better make sure they can run the hell out of the ball. Foster is too injury-prone and unreliable, so having Gurley in the backfield to split the carries would solidify that aspect of Houston's offense.

Gurley obviously couldn't perform at the NFL Combine, but he did check out positively in the medical. He's ahead of schedule, and many of the teams are reportedly pleased with his progress. He could end up being a steal here, as he would be the favorite to go sixth overall to the Jets if he were healthy.
51 Houston Texans: Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami
Quote:
The Texans lost Andre Johnson to the Colts, so they'll need a No. 2 wideout across from DeAndre Hopkins. Phillip Dorsett has moved up an entire round after a tremendous Senior Bowl. He also looked good at the NFL Combine.
82 Houston Texans: Sean Hickey, OT/G, Syracuse
Quote:
The Texans managed to re-sign Derek Newton, but they still have to find some help at one of the guard positions.
116 Houston Texans: Henry Anderson, DE/DT, Stanford
Quote:
The Texans never properly replaced Antonio Smith on the defensive line, so here's a potential solution.
152 Houston Texans: Cody Riggs, CB, Notre Dame
Quote:
The Texans could use some depth at corner, as they were in trouble last year when some of their starters went down.
174 Houston Texans: Xzavier Dixon, DE/OLB, Alabama
Quote:
The Texans could target an edge rusher early on in the 2015 NFL Draft. If one falls to No. 16, Houston will consider addressing the position. It's more likely, however, that the Texans take one in Rounds 2-5.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:16 AM
All-Pro

DraftTek.com

16 Jaelen Strong Arizona St WRF 6'4" 205
Quote:
One last time, goodbye Andre, thank you for the memories! We wish you the best with Luck and hope you finish second in your division the rest of your career, the first spot is ours. Jaelen Strong may not be on Dre's level, but a WR core with Hopkins and Strong out wide with Shorts III in the slot would give the Texans the best group of WRs in team history. With room to develop! At 6'4 and 200+lbs, Jaelen has a 42" vertical, runs a 4.4, over powers defenders on 50/50 balls, maintains body control, and catches with his hands. Not only does Jaelen have good measurables, he shows up in big games when his team needs him most. Mr. Strong sounds very similar to the man he is replacing. The timing of Andre's release could not have occurred at a better time for Houston. ~CME, Texans' Analyst.
51 Denzel Perryman Miami ILB 6'0" 240
Quote:
Denzel Perryman is a violent football player. He has been one of the NCAA's hardest hitters the last couple years. When Denzel meets ball carriers, they go backwards. Houston has a hole in the middle of their defense that Denzel could fill admirably. Akeem Dent just resigned a two year deal to add depth, but he is not going to scare anyone. On paper Perryman, Cushing, Clowney, and Mercilus form an incredible LB corp. With the recent addition of Wilfork and the potential influence he has on Louis Nix, adding a thumper in the middle next to Cush will solidify Houston's front seven. In year two, Bill O'Brien's finger prints are already deeply rooted into the roster, adding a couple more roll players and the Texans defense would be set for many years. Meanwhile Vrabel gets another tool added to his toolbox. ~CME, Texans' Analyst.
82 David Johnson Northern Iowa RBF 6'4" 250
116 Charles Gaines Louisville CB 5'11" 175
152 Tyler Kroft Rutgers TE 6'6" 240
174 Leterrius Walton Central Michigan DT34 6'5" 319
194 Xavier Williams Northern Iowa DT43 6'3" 309
211 Kenny Bell Nebraska WRF 6'1" 197
216 Ray Drew Georgia DE34 6'4" 276
235 Xzavier Dickson Alabama OLB34 6'3" 265
Old 03-26-2015, 11:08 AM
All-Pro

These drafters must not be Alfred Blue fans. Our star RB is too banged up so let's use our top draft pick on a banged up RB??? Let someone else take that risk. We don't need to. If we *must* draft a RB in the first, trade down and get Gordon.

Unless we go get some good veteran to fill AJ's shoes, then my pick in the first has to be Parker or Strong, hopefully Strong. Jaelen is a similar receiver to AJ in several ways and simply lacks the polish. Those who remember AJ his first few seasons remember the drops and the failures to get open at key moments. Strong will struggle with acceleration, just like AJ did but, otherwise, he's the full package and not a head case like some of the wideouts. He's bigger and faster than Devante Parker, just not as quick off the snap.

Of the guys further down the draft board, my eye is on Antwan Goodley of Baylor. He has kick return experience, lightning fast and a boxer's mentality so despite being 5-10, he's perfect for special teams and sneaking into 4-wide packages when someone tries to cover him with a safety. He'll be the deep threat opponents didn't see coming.

I do want an ILB in the first two rounds and am not totally worried if that player is McKinney, Perryman, Kendricks or Anthony but my reading is that Perryman is the worst of these in coverage.

So, the Draftek guy is much closer to what I want than Walter. I want us to go WR-ILB in the draft. We need to add a center if we don't add a free agent and I'd like to see some D-line and secondary help plus a tight end.

RB is way down my list and so is OT since we just shelled out money for Newton. Had we let Newton walk, I would probably put RT as a second-day priority.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:26 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
So, the Draftek guy is much closer to what I want than Walter. I want us to go WR-ILB in the draft. We need to add a center if we don't add a free agent and I'd like to see some D-line and secondary help plus a tight end.

RB is way down my list and so is OT since we just shelled out money for Newton. Had we let Newton walk, I would probably put RT as a second-day priority.
I may be wrong on this, I believe DraftTek uses local guys for each city to get a better feel for the teams needs. That is a Texans fans comments in the quoted area of the 2nd post.

That would explain the better coverage of needs on DraftTek compared to Walters.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:09 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post

51 Houston Texans: Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami

116 Houston Texans: Henry Anderson, DE/DT, Stanford
I am a huge fan of these 2 players. It would not surprise me if Anderson went in the 2nd round and Dorsett lasted until the 3rd.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:09 PM
All-Pro

Default Fanspeak 3/26 with no trades

I tried to trade down from 1-16 but could not so this is what my Texans draft might look like without any trades:

1-16 Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State.
Parker was still on the board but I like Strong slightly better.
2-51 Bernardrick McKinney, ILB, Miss. St. Strong presence that goes sideline to sideline and can pass rush. A great complement to Cushing inside.
3-82 Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota. Shocked to find him here since he's the consensus best TE in the draft. A slower than expected 40 time at the combine seems to be why he's dropping a little. Still, if this seems unrealistic, I could take 6-7 Jesse James from Penn State as the TE here and be just as happy.
4-116 B.J. Finney, C, Kansas St. I was hoping a better center would fall here but the talent really drops off after Finney.
5-152 Charles Gaines, CB, Louisville Secondary help and someone expected to go sooner than mid-5th.
5-174 (comp) Antwan Goodley, WR, Baylor As mentioned above, this is the late-round WR I want because of his kick-return skills.
6-194 Adrian Amos, S, Penn St. One of O'Brien's kids and provides secondary depth.
6-211 (comp) Miles Diffenbach, G, Penn St. Supposedly, this was one of O'Brien's favorite Nittany Lion players. Gutty but lacking in NFL talent. This regime's Kasey Studdard, he is part sentimental pick and part practice squad emergency material.
6-216 (comp) Malcolm Brown, RB, Texas This is about where I'm looking for third-RB depth. Brown isn't excellent at anything but does everything reasonably well - runs, blocks, catches passes in the flat. What you want from a third-stringer.
7-235 James Castleman, DT, Oklahoma State I meant to address the d-line sooner than this. If I had traded down in the first, I would be grabbing one in the third or fourth.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:55 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I do want an ILB in the first two rounds and am not totally worried if that player is McKinney, Perryman, Kendricks or Anthony but my reading is that Perryman is the worst of these in coverage.

So, the Draftek guy is much closer to what I want than Walter. I want us to go WR-ILB in the draft.y.
It is my opinion that the team needs an upgrade at ILB. I was really wanting to sign Sean Weatherspoon or Mason Foster. The Texans re-signed Dent instead.

That being said, I am not excited about this draft class to fill the hole/need. In the 3-4, the player needs to be big enough to shed blocks of OL. He needs to be fast enough to cover TE & RBs. He has to have instincts to get to the ball and tackle once he gets there. In essence, a player that isn't found in this class. McKinney and Anthony have the size, but I am concerned about what BPA we would be passing on to fill a need. My favorite prospects are Ben Heeney, Jake Ryan, and Bryce Hager simply because of the value of when it appears that they will be selected. Now, if we got either McKinney or Anthony in the 3rd, I'll be okay with that.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:22 PM
Pro Bowler

Well, Gregory will be there at #16 if we want a pot-smoking, dimwitted Edge guy. Always amazed at these idiots that fail a drug test they know full well is coming.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:20 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Well, Gregory will be there at #16 if we want a pot-smoking, dimwitted Edge guy. Always amazed at these idiots that fail a drug test they know full well is coming.
Which means that the top 3 WRs move up draft boards as well as Shane Ray, Bud Dupree, and Eli Harold. Gregory comes off my board in essence, because I won't draft him until the 2nd round now.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:31 PM
All-Pro

I'm more concerned about OLB than ILB since there's usually only one ILB on the field anyway. Of course I do not assume Clowney will play, ever. And for some reason I believe that Cushing will be better next year than last year.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:29 PM
All-Pro

Anthony Chickillo is my "Value pick" but if he is off the board before our 3rd pick and we haven't selected an OLB in the 1st or 2nd, then we are screwed.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:26 AM
All-Pro

I thought that this was interesting and would share. I ran a mock draft where I selected for the Colts since Chuck Pagano isn't getting a contract extension and needs to show that he can be competitive against the Patriots and improve their Defense. It was essentially a "Fill The Needs" Draft. I selected the following:
29 NT Jordan Phillips
61 DE Xavier Cooper
93 OLB Za'Darius Smith
128 OC Mitch Morse
165 ILB Jake Ryan
205 RB Karlos Williams
207 CB Justin Coleman
244 OT Andrew Donnel
255 DE Ray Drew

The reason I am sharing this here is to show who the Computer selected for the Texans:
16 WR Kevin White
51 ILB Stephone Anthony
82 OC Ali Marpet
116 FS Durrell Eskrine
152 OT Tyrus Thompson
175 TE E.J. Bibbs
195 RB Josh Robinson
211 DE Deion Barnes
216 QB Sean Mannion
235 WR Jordan Taylor

I'm not Really happy with my OLB who was available in the 3rd, but the Texans didn't get much in my opinion with Penn State prospect Deion Barnes.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:13 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post

The reason I am sharing this here is to show who the Computer selected for the Texans:
16 WR Kevin White
51 ILB Stephone Anthony
82 OC Ali Marpet
116 FS Durrell Eskrine
152 OT Tyrus Thompson
175 TE E.J. Bibbs
195 RB Josh Robinson
211 DE Deion Barnes
216 QB Sean Mannion
235 WR Jordan Taylor

I'm not Really happy with my OLB who was available in the 3rd, but the Texans didn't get much in my opinion with Penn State prospect Deion Barnes.
That's not a bad draft. I would certainly be happy with that, especially 1-2.

I noticed that Fanspeak has added the CBS Sports big board, which is one I respect more than most of the ones I've seen.

I did my usual trade down in the first and still had Jaelen Strong on the board to select. Now I had two 2nds and Maxx Williams was still there so I took him along with Denzel Perryman. I've also begun trading back up into the lower third round for my natural 4th, 5th and 6th rounders. This allowed me to get a D-lineman and a center. With the remaining comp picks, I took my usual low-round favorites.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:18 PM
All-Pro

The thought of John Simon or Jason Ankrah playing opposite of Merciless scares me. I like Maxx Williams, but would draft an OLB before TE. I just absolutely need one by the third round and am nervous there is not going to be any to be found when we pick. Maybe I love Anthony Chickillo more than any other GMs, but I am pissed whenever he is off the board when I make my 3rd round pick.

Last edited by Roy P; 03-28-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:54 PM
All-Pro

Just wanted to see what I could do with the CBS draft board and committed myself to not drafting Chickillo until the 3rd round. The first couple of times I drafted Phillip Dorsett in the 3rd but couldn't get any decent OLBs in the 4th. This was my favorite Mock draft today :
#16 WR Amari Cooper
#51 TE Clive Walford
#82 OLB Anthony Chickillo
#116 RB T.J. Yeldon
#152 ILB Jake Ryan
#175 NT Derrick Lott
#195 OT Andrew Donnal
#211 CB Craig Mager
#216 WR Antwan Goodley
#235 CB Justin Coleman
Old 03-28-2015, 04:52 PM
All-Pro

Last one for the day:
#16 WR Jaelen Strong
#51 WR Breshad Perriman
#82 OLB Anthony Chickillo
#116 WR Phillip Dorsett
#152 ILB Jake Ryan
#175 NT Derrick Lott
#195 CB Craig Mager
#211 TE Nick Boyle
#216 Damian Swan
#235 QB Shane Carden

I couldn't believe that Perriman was still available after running 4.25 at his Pro Day. Considered taking him @ #16, so snatched him in the 2nd round. With 2 excellent prospects at WR, I thought about Jesse James at #116, but love Dorsett in the slot. We may go 4 or 5 Wide with this draft. Jake Ryan is my value ILB and I love Derrick Lott due to his size and quickness. Mager and Swan provide depth and special teams. I love Carden and couldn't let him go undrafted.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:20 AM
All-Pro

Bob, when you trade down who are people trading up to get?
Old 03-29-2015, 02:11 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Bob, when you trade down who are people trading up to get?
I think it is more positioning than strategy. The simulator is just simulating what it thinks is a fair trade. It's probably asking too much to ask it to actually target a player since the trade proposal normally comes at the start of the round, not when your team is on the clock.

But that leads into my latest draft which is using the CBS Sports big board and involves three trades to maximize second-day picks, knowing we have comp picks we can't trade with.

1) Traded 1-16 to Pittsburgh for 1-22 and 2-24 (PIT takes Eli Harold, OLB)
2) Traded 2-19 to Green Bay for 2-30 and 3-30 (GB takes D'Joun Smith, CB)
3) Traded 4-17, 5-16 and 6-19 to Seattle for 3-31*

* - I proposed this trade. The other two were computer-generated offers.

That leaves one pick in the first, 2 in the lower 2nd, 3 in the lower 3rd, no 4ths, 1 comp in the lower 5th, 2 comps in the lower 6th and one 7th. It's still 10 draft picks but more of them in the 2nd and 3rd where better quality resides.

With that, I chose:

1-22 (from PIT) Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona St.
2-24 (from PIT) Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota
2-30 (from GB) Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami (FL)
3-18 Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB, Louisville (tweener DE-LB for 3-4 defense)
3-30 (from GB) Eric Rowe, CB-S, Utah (three yrs as FS, played CB as Sr.)
3-31 (from SEA) Andy Gallik, C, Boston College
5-39 (comp) Antwan Goodley, WR-KR, Baylor
6-35 (comp) Joey Mbu, NT, Houston
6-40 (comp) Miles Dieffenbach, OG-C, Penn St.
7-18 Damian Swann, CB, Georgia

This hits pretty much all our needs other than a franchise QB (yeah, right). I think a RB can be found as a UDFA. I don't get many chances to pick Rowe but he's a guy I like as guy with corner and free safety skills - a hard tackler who can fill either need in a pinch. Lacks elite CB skills but could be a FS starter someday. Mauldin is big for a LB (6-4, 260) but has been played as both DE and OLB at Louisville which makes him a good fit in a 3-4 and be insurance if Clowney can't go. Mbu is your traditional fireplug nose tackle who is not a pass rusher but has enough lateral quickness to occupy blockers and stuff the run. Also had two interceptions in college.