IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2017, 08:28 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Just a quick scan of the play-by-play log for the first game against the Colts last year include these entries.

1 10 HTX 26 Andrew Luck pass complete short right to Robert Turbin for 9 yards (tackle by Benardrick McKinney)

2 7 CLT 43 Andrew Luck pass complete short left to Frank Gore for 13 yards (tackle by Kevin Johnson).

2 10 HTX 34 Andrew Luck pass complete short left to Robert Turbin for -1 yards (tackle by Kevin Johnson)

2 14 CLT 17 Andrew Luck pass complete short left to Frank Gore for 2 yards (tackle by Kevin Johnson)

3 12 CLT 19 Andrew Luck pass complete short left to Robert Turbin for 2 yards (tackle by A.J. Bouye)

3 4 CLT 30 Andrew Luck pass complete short right to Robert Turbin for 12 yards (tackle by John Simon)

This on a night when Gore rushed 22 times for 106 yards.

My point being that the Colts do throw to their backs on a regular basis as part of their game plan. Neither Simon nor McKinney were all that effective in pass coverage.
I'm not sure what play by play you perused. The night where Gore ran for 106 he had 1 catch for 2 yards.

For the season Gore had 277 yards receiving and Turbin had 179. This makes them 23 and 42 in the NFL among RBs. And that on a team with the 5th most passing yards. They have 3 WRs and 3 TEs who had more receiving yards. The RBs are not a big part of the gameplan for the Colts.

And like I said, Simon is a 34 OLB and is not expected to cover much. McKinney is a MLB who was on the field a lot on 3rd down. It was expected to be part of his game. McKinney and Cushing are guys who need to cover RBs or they have limited value. Simon and Clowney/Mercilous are not.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:06 AM
All-Pro

After I posted, I looked up the second Colts game and RBs Gore and Turpin were targeted on 9 pass attempts of which Indy completed 6 for 66 yards and a touchdown.

You're welcome to pretend this is insignificant but, for years, the Texans do not defend well against screens and flat passes to the backs. Indy, in particular, knows this and makes it a regular part of their gameplan. Sure, they'd rather pass it to Hilton instead and last year they rediscovered their tight ends as receivers (Allen and Doyle) but dinks and dunks to the backs is also a significant part of their plan.

As for the OLB responsibilities, we have pressure guys (Mercilus, Clowney) and we have cover guys who fill the zone (Cushing, McKinney, Simon). Cushing used to be fantastic before his knees blew out. McKinney is slow but he's learning angles and is improving. Simon was "just a guy" out there for the most part. I certainly wouldn't have paid what the Colts paid for him.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:40 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
After I posted, I looked up the second Colts game and RBs Gore and Turpin were targeted on 9 pass attempts of which Indy completed 6 for 66 yards and a touchdown.

You're welcome to pretend this is insignificant but, for years, the Texans do not defend well against screens and flat passes to the backs. Indy, in particular, knows this and makes it a regular part of their gameplan. Sure, they'd rather pass it to Hilton instead and last year they rediscovered their tight ends as receivers (Allen and Doyle) but dinks and dunks to the backs is also a significant part of their plan.

As for the OLB responsibilities, we have pressure guys (Mercilus, Clowney) and we have cover guys who fill the zone (Cushing, McKinney, Simon). Cushing used to be fantastic before his knees blew out. McKinney is slow but he's learning angles and is improving. Simon was "just a guy" out there for the most part. I certainly wouldn't have paid what the Colts paid for him.
So to recap your points, in the past the Colts used the RBs more in the passing game, none of that had anything to do with John Simon, and now we can take advantage of the Colts by passing to our RBs because they signed Simon. Great analysis Bob.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Texans re-signed TE Ryan Griffin to a 3-year deal. So that solves the problem there.

My Marty B lust is more about my personal cry for help to upgrade the talent at the position more than anything. The point about his relationship with Romo is a good one. I probably could have just said any capable TE's name to make my point.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:39 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Assuming he's willing to come to Houston and play ball what's the price tag on Romo gonna be ? 2-year deal at 15M a year front-end loaded where all of the guaranteed money hits the cap in 2017 ? That may all be moot as Romo might just up and retire now.
Even if we sign him I expect them to draft a QB this year and in the first round it they like their Board. In other words no more procrastination on drafting a young QB.
I'm starting to really like this MaHomes kid out of Texas Tech but he may be too wild and wooly for O'Brien but he's got a tremendous arm.
Don't know how long it's been since Romo played a full season.

I totally agree with you on the Mahomes kid, I really like him.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:17 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Texans re-signed TE Ryan Griffin to a 3-year deal. So that solves the problem there.

My Marty B lust is more about my personal cry for help to upgrade the talent at the position more than anything. The point about his relationship with Romo is a good one. I probably could have just said any capable TE's name to make my point.
I love him. I coached against him his senior year in HS. I was a low level defensive assistant and we were sure we had a great game plan for how to handle him down near the goal line.

We lost in OT when he caught a goal line TD. So much for that. The TD was more like a rebound than a fade route.

I think he was fantastic for the Patriots last year and he is the rare receiving threat at TE who still blocks. I would have loved him on the Texans in the Kubiak years when we used the TE.

Last edited by barrett; 03-11-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:26 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
So to recap your points, in the past the Colts used the RBs more in the passing game, none of that had anything to do with John Simon, and now we can take advantage of the Colts by passing to our RBs because they signed Simon. Great analysis Bob.
So, to recap your points, John Simon stands around with his thumb up his ass whenever a running back makes a catch on a screen or out in the flat because it's not his job to run down the ballcarrier and, besides, teams never throw the ball to the backs against the Texans anyway. Great analysis Barrett.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:25 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
So, to recap your points, John Simon stands around with his thumb up his ass whenever a running back makes a catch on a screen or out in the flat because it's not his job to run down the ballcarrier and, besides, teams never throw the ball to the backs against the Texans anyway. Great analysis Barrett.
Nice straw man Bob. The only difference is you actually tried to make the idiotic points I recapped. Now if your original analysis was half as smart as your sarcasm, then you probably would have had something to add to the discussion of Texans FAs.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:02 AM
All-Pro

Bottom line. John Simon is a waste at LB who can't cover backs and I will enjoy like crazy watching Miller or Hunt zoom past him for first downs against the Colts. May he have the same success in Indy that Andre Johnson had.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:54 AM
All-Pro

I'll just add that the Texans' OLBs are in fact dropped into coverage more often than never. I've never really understood this very well, why that would be part of a package, but it does happen. Perhaps the coaching changes will result in a change of strategy here, or maybe the team will get serious about the safety position for once in its existence.

On an unrelated note I knew that BO sucked at football, what I didn't know is that he's a whiny little pussy.

I also like how Cleveland - Cleveland! - had to lead Rick Smith by the hand out of the darkness and into the light. I wonder what sort of master plan that genius had in his back pocket had the Browns not done his thinking for him.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yahoo Sports' Eric Edholm reports the Texans are interested in Patriots restricted free agent Malcolm Butler, and would be willing to trade a second-round pick.

The Texans traded their 2018 second-rounder in the Brock Osweiler asset dump, but still have their 2017 second-rounder. Edholm concedes the second-rounder in and of itself probably wouldn't be enough to get a deal done. Butler is visiting the Saints on Thursday, and has begun negotiations with the team. There's a real chance he signs an offer sheet elsewhere with the understanding a trade will be worked out.
Obviously a rumor at this point, but if true, wouldn't it have been better to just keep Bouye? They'd have to pay Butler roughly the same amount and would still have a pick.

Last edited by popanot; 03-14-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:05 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
Obviously a rumor at this point, but if true, wouldn't it have been better to just keep Bouye? They'd have to pay Butler roughly the same amount and would still have a pick.
I think Butler is at least a 2nd round pick better than Bouye.

I can't imagine this gets done without one of our guys being dealt. Preferrably Jackson or Joseph, but since Bellichek likes guys on rookie contracts, maybe Kevin Johnson and the 2nd for Butler and a low round pick.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:44 AM
Pro Bowler

I'd rather have Bouye and the pick. The D was good enough with Bouye (let alone also losing Johnson in your scenario in acquiring Butler), and that 2nd RD pick could be another good player (QB, OL).

But like you said, it's not going to happen. I think Butler ends up with the Saints.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:35 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
I'd rather have Bouye and the pick. The D was good enough with Bouye (let alone also losing Johnson in your scenario in acquiring Butler), and that 2nd RD pick could be another good player (QB, OL).

But like you said, it's not going to happen. I think Butler ends up with the Saints.
I totally agree that on our team I'd rather have Bouye and the 2nd. We have good CB depth and I just don't think we ask our CBs to do enough to justify that deal.

But I do think Butler is significantly better than Bouye.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:35 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I totally agree that on our team I'd rather have Bouye and the 2nd. We have good CB depth and I just don't think we ask our CBs to do enough to justify that deal.

But I do think Butler is significantly better than Bouye.
Man I agree with that !
Our second round pick in next months Draft is extremely important to us. So right now we've got our first, second, third, and two fourth round picks remaining and we have pressing needs for those few precious pics especially @ QB, offensive tackle, and TE.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:36 PM
Regular Starter

FYI - Romo and the Texans met last night.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:01 AM
All-Pro

I don't trust whatever QB falls to us at #25 as being starter-ready. I don't even see any of them besides Deshaun Watson as first-round material. Which all means we probably have to overpay to get Romo with backup options being Cutler or Kaepernick.

I don't think Jerry Jones wants to risk Romo leading the cross-state rival Texans to a title and would rather he go to Denver but the Broncos are resolute not to give Dallas anything and wait for Romo to be cut.

Therefore, the only way I see Houston getting Romo is if they offer Dallas a draft pick and take Romo's large contract with the agreement that Romo is willing to renegotiate it to something more cap-friendly.

I think a 5th-rounder is enough to save face with Dallas and get it done so long as Dallas can be convinced that's the best offer they are going to see. Denver can be more patient. They have two potential starters already in the fold while the best we have right now is Savage.

If the Texans can't secure Romo, they are almost forced to draft a QB in the first round and I think that will be a huge flop for 2017.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:11 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't trust whatever QB falls to us at #25 as being starter-ready. I don't even see any of them besides Deshaun Watson as first-round material. Which all means we probably have to overpay to get Romo with backup options being Cutler or Kaepernick.

I don't think Jerry Jones wants to risk Romo leading the cross-state rival Texans to a title and would rather he go to Denver but the Broncos are resolute not to give Dallas anything and wait for Romo to be cut.

Therefore, the only way I see Houston getting Romo is if they offer Dallas a draft pick and take Romo's large contract with the agreement that Romo is willing to renegotiate it to something more cap-friendly.

I think a 5th-rounder is enough to save face with Dallas and get it done so long as Dallas can be convinced that's the best offer they are going to see. Denver can be more patient. They have two potential starters already in the fold while the best we have right now is Savage.

If the Texans can't secure Romo, they are almost forced to draft a QB in the first round and I think that will be a huge flop for 2017.
Why would Romo go anywhere other than the place he most wants to go? He can 100% control his destiny in this one, and if he wants Denver, he just doesn't agree to renegotiate with Houston. And the same is true vice versa.

The guy is gearing up for his last go round, and it will happen on his terms in a location of his choosing. If he doesn't choose Houston we can't change that by pointlessly giving up a 5th round pick.

Either way (trade or FA) Romo will pick where he goes.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:38 AM
All-Pro

Romo is under contract with the Dallas Cowboys. Until he gets cut, this is true. That's why Houston would obtain Romo's rights with a trade, just as Cleveland obtained Osweiler's rights with a trade. Osweiler didn't decide to be a Brown. In fact, he wasn't told until after it happened. To obtain Romo's rights prior to his being cut, Houston would have to give Dallas something of value, hence the draft pick. If that were to happen, Romo would be a Texan.

Would Dallas prefer to get something of value for trading Romo or nothing of value by cutting him? I'm sure the Texans would rather wait out the Cowboys but if they do it and either Romo is never cut or Romo is cut but doesn't sign with Houston, there's a black hole the size of NRG Stadium left at QB and very few viable options available to fix it.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:45 PM
All-Pro

If the Texans want Romo and Romo wants to be a Texan a trade would be the smartest way to accomplish that obviously so long as Romo is willing to renegotiate the contract. If he becomes a free agent who knows who might offer him who knows what and the marketplace could get very confused. Again, IF the Texans are sold on Romo the best way to control the situation is to assuage Jerry's ego with a pick.

I'm not sold on any of these quarterbacks. Hell, that Kelly kid might have the most talent. Of course you'd have to hope he wouldn't try to beat up everyone on your roster. But on the other hand, it would be very entertaining to have a quarterback who's more volatile than the head coach.

Watson couldn't throw the ball through wrapping paper, Mahomes' mechanics are terrifying, everyone else basically sucks as far as I've been able to tell. You know it's grim when you're starting to daydream about Jay Cutler. Don't anyone mention to Rick that he used to play for the Broncos or he'd immediately try to sign him.