IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Not Quite ...In the Bullseye > The Bullhorn
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
this is one active hurricane season. sure hope Ike stays away.
No kidding. I'll be looking forward to the opener next week. Especially after this weeks mess of a game.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Well, looks like we might not be able to avoid Ike, though I'll say this one is giving me Rita-vibes in how it might keep shifting eastward on us before landfall.

Regardless, Houston is in the bullseye (sorry) on this one, and certainly bears more than just watching now.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...l.html#a_topad
Old 09-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Regular Starter

I'm not a big fan of any hurricans, but if one's going to hit it might as well not do it on a weekend.....especially one with baseball and football games I was planning to attend.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

btw, I'm guessing local Houstonians already keep up with SciGuy's blog on Chron.com as he is the shizz when it comes to this sort of thing, and I'd be remiss not to link to him given he's pretty familiar with ItB.com...

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/

Good stuff from our local paper...? Hard to believe, but yup.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:00 PM
All-Pro

Since I am in North Dakota, I am not worried about drinking water right now.

But I do want to say good luck to you guys and stay dry and above the projected storm surge.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Hall of Fame

Man, I don't get it. I've been tracking Ike and if it continues on the same path, it is going to hit way south of Galveston.... like Matagorda area. The Weather Channel keeps showing projected path right over Houston but in order to do this, it is going to have to take a severe NW jaunt over the next 24 hours. This storm is the huge, lumbering variety so I don't know if it will do that... but it might....

Regardless, I'm not looking forward to the loss of electricity and the subsequent cleanup of 2.2 billion trees/branches/twigs that will fall on my property...

Be safe, everybody....
Old 09-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Regular Starter

Well, in Galveston waves are already breaking over Seawall Blvd. and it looks like there's a lot of flooding on the island even though there's been no rain and Ike and the actual storm surge are still 15ish hours away. Not looking good. Be safe!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Pro Bowler

Good luck, everyone! House is boarded and we're hunkering down here in League City! Have the gas grill ready for tomorrow...
Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Hall of Fame

Yay, back online. Dang, that one was a doozy....

Up here (New Caney), it was pretty nasty with all the trees downed on power lines. When I finally got out of the house Monday, I counted at least half dozen instances of trees on power lines just driving out to the highway. I was calculating 2-3 weeks recovery time.... Starting about Tuesday, I was very surprised to find the streets crawling with power guys in their bucket trucks. Neighbors were chainsawing up the downed trees while the power guys were doing their thing. The power came back on last night @ midnight (6 days with no power). Those guys did a great job. I had a generator to run my computer but the damn telephone (and DSL) was down. DSL came back today (7 days no DSL). So, all in all, everything is back to normal ... I lost a tall skinny oak tree that fell the right way (missed the fence, missed the house) and my 1 acre yard is ankle deep in debris but hey, I need the exercise.... Out here, we just pile it up and burn it on the spot...

The eye came over my area - first time I can remember this happening.... The wind stopped and it was dead still but still raining - no clear sky as the eye was a little messed up on this one... About 20 minutes later, the trees started roaring again..

Hope everyone else made it Ok.....
Old 09-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Out here, we just pile it up and burn it on the spot...
The eye came over my area - first time I can remember this happening.... The wind stopped and it was dead still but still raining - no clear sky as the eye was a little messed up on this one... About 20 minutes later, the trees started roaring again..

Hope everyone else made it Ok.....
that's so cool, did you go outside during the eye? my girlfriend was telling me about how creepy it is (she's been through one, i haven't) because it's so still and you can hear the winds coming even though you can't really feel them. i almost want to be in one...without the destruction of course.

glad to hear you were missed by trees and flying debris and such (i hope everyone did). a couple of people around me weren't quite as lucky but i guess the worst thing that happened to me is my shop's power was out for a week...and i went around flipping on light switches that didn't work for 3 days...