IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Hall of Fame

Default The Deshaun Watson (aka The One) thread

Named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against the Titans.

Also, Bill O'Brien wanted To Name Watson Starting QB In Preseason but Rick Smith said "give it time"....
Old 10-04-2017, 11:38 AM
Hall of Fame

Also,
Texans GM pulled out the stops to land coveted QB Deshaun Watson

Quote:
Smith wanted Watson so badly he tried to trade with the New York Jets up to No. 6 but couldn't work out a deal that was suitable to both teams.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:21 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Smith has to make sure he provides Watson with the help he needs to excel.
Somewhere, Duane Brown rolled his eyes.

In all fairness, the Patriots and the Titans are not great pass defense teams and lack a great pass rush. The Chiefs have both although they miss Eric Berry in the secondary.

That's not to diss Watson. I knew he wasn't going to last to 25 in the draft and I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the Chiefs passed on Watson to draft Patrick Mahomes (which may be a great trivia question some day). If Watson were two inches taller and 15 pounds heavier, I think he would have been in the top five. Watson is more like a point guard than a shooting guard (to mix sports) and he threw a bunch of off-balance passes Sunday that look magical when they're on target but can also look like INTs-in-waiting when they're off target.

I'm happy for the Texans but they won't have a pick in the first two rounds next spring so they are going to have to find more unpolished gems in free agency and the last day of the draft to make up for the lack of high choices. If we are not going to sign Brown, let's trade him someplace for an extra pick.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:39 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Somewhere, Duane Brown rolled his eyes.

In all fairness, the Patriots and the Titans are not great pass defense teams and lack a great pass rush. The Chiefs have both although they miss Eric Berry in the secondary.

That's not to diss Watson. I knew he wasn't going to last to 25 in the draft and I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the Chiefs passed on Watson to draft Patrick Mahomes (which may be a great trivia question some day). If Watson were two inches taller and 15 pounds heavier, I think he would have been in the top five. Watson is more like a point guard than a shooting guard (to mix sports) and he threw a bunch of off-balance passes Sunday that look magical when they're on target but can also look like INTs-in-waiting when they're off target.

I'm happy for the Texans but they won't have a pick in the first two rounds next spring so they are going to have to find more unpolished gems in free agency and the last day of the draft to make up for the lack of high choices. If we are not going to sign Brown, let's trade him someplace for an extra pick.
Forget making him bigger, if he just came out a year earlier he'd have been top 5. In recent years, the longer a QB is near the top of draft boards the longer teams have to pick him apart. There is a reason Trubisky went before Watson and it isn't because of game film or workouts. Scouts love to project potential but subtract performance. So the more performance you have the less they can project and the more they can subtract.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:34 PM
All-Pro

Watson also threw a bunch of picks early in his senior season before settling down. He was above average in limiting interceptions as a junior. He takes some chances but as long as his positive plays outnumber his negative plays, coaches will allow the bad throws some time to work themselves out. You don't want to lose that aggressiveness.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:11 PM
Hall of Fame

It's still way too early - probably won't have the definitive idea until a few years from now - but it's looking like the Texans really, really got this one right......Ya know, what will a 2017 Re-draft look like a few years from now?

Gotta admit I didn't know all that much about him a year ago. Was he another Taj Boyd? Or Brett Favre? Warren Moon? It's hard to categorize him at this point because he seems to be just a different breed of cat. I've been impressed with his demeanor, poise and football IQ (ability to learn and adapt fast). He's still a rookie and will make some mistakes but goodness, isn't it nice not to have to bitch about the QB play and actually enjoy the competence?

Last edited by Arky; 10-04-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:35 AM
Hall of Fame

Can't say Deshaun Watson is not being tested early in his career.. First he comes into the game against a Jags team that has their ears pinned back, then on the road on a short week against the Bengals on TNF. Then, a match against the Super Bowl Champion Patriots... This week, it's a game against the #1 ranked Chiefs under the bright lights of SNF.... Jeez, welcome to the NFL, kid.....
Old 10-07-2017, 08:35 AM
All-Pro

Kudos to Rick Smith for landing Watson, as it sure looks like an adroit bit of maneuvering in the Draft by the GM right now and seems to have turned the fortunes of the Texans completly around.
Why I bet the Chuckster has already got brand new gold-tinted frames with photoshopped pictures of Smith, O'Brien and owner Bob McNair hanging
over the fireplace of that ostentatious mansion of his in River Oaks.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:01 PM
All-Pro

No, no, but I did get a tattoo of Bob McNair on my calf. I admit I may have jumped the gun a bit on that but I like symmetry and for years I'd felt a little off kilter since on my other calf I have that tattoo of Drayton McLane.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:37 AM
Hall of Fame

Watson now #2 in the NFL in TD passes with 12. Aaron Rodgers is #1 with 13.

Watson's passer rating now up to 100.7.

So far, he's had the luck of Satan with the almost INT's....
Old 10-16-2017, 03:02 AM
Hall of Fame

Watson now leading the league in passing TDs with 15. Brady, Rodgers and Wentz tied for 2nd with 13.

He's about 6th in passer rating with 101.7 depending on if you want to not count Bradford's small sample. He doesn't have the yardage yet (16th) to crack the top 10 but he's moving up the list. We may be looking at a possible top ten QB finish for a guy in his rookie year. He has the possibility to outdo Dak Prescott for recent outstanding performance from a rookie QB....
Old 10-16-2017, 07:08 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Watson now leading the league in passing TDs with 15. Brady, Rodgers and Wentz tied for 2nd with 13.

He's about 6th in passer rating with 101.7 depending on if you want to not count Bradford's small sample. He doesn't have the yardage yet (16th) to crack the top 10 but he's moving up the list. We may be looking at a possible top ten QB finish for a guy in his rookie year. He has the possibility to outdo Dak Prescott for recent outstanding performance from a rookie QB....
It's exciting how so many things become possible, are opened up when we have a truly talented QB who can consistently lead drives and score TDs.
We've got several areas that need to be improved and upgraded before we are in the conversation of being among the leagues best teams and I'm not talking about just the offensive line, but getting to the top now seems within our reach.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:12 AM
All-Pro

For sure I'm a DW4 believer . The guy is very, very talented and mature as a team leader, overall good guy. Go Texans.