IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 08-09-2017, 09:53 PM
All-Pro

Well, this place is a hotbed of activity.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Hall of Fame

Final score:

Panthers 27, Texans 17

I think Watson got a little gassed towards the end, there. Gotta think everyone including him has not got the full game stamina going, yet....

Reading the scuttlebutt, we got a QB controversy....
Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Reading the scuttlebutt, we got a QB controversy....
The secondary and the OL suck so much I don't see why they wouldn't turn it over to Watson and just roll with it.

Yes, barrett, I divined all of this from the first preseason game.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:14 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The secondary and the OL suck so much I don't see why they wouldn't turn it over to Watson and just roll with it.

Yes, barrett, I divined all of this from the first preseason game.
I didn't even watch the game. I honestly forgot it was on until my wife mentioned it at 9. I'm having a hard time conjuring up the right level of care and bitterness heading into the season.

Watson is the one thing that I really care about and he's the reason I'll probably watch the replay of the game. I agree that this team has no reason not to give him the ball.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:06 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I'm having a hard time conjuring up the right level of care and bitterness heading into the season.
That's what the preseason is for, man, come on.

Me, I feel great. I may be close to midseason form. But, you know, limited reps.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:22 AM
All-Pro

Withholding comment until I can watch the game (NFL Network blacked out in Austin and no access to local feed) The comments I read was that Carolina's defense destroyed our o-line until they sat down for the night. We did all our damage against their scrubs.

Benjamin's TD against J-Jo was tight coverage. Can't blame Joseph for that. Watson was a combination of nervous rookie and unique athleticism.

I'll be interested to see how the run defense looked without Wilfork in the middle and with Watt and Clowney finally both at full strength. Say hello to Mr. Brady next week.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:10 AM
All-Pro

The game sure highlighted the Texans weaknesses which include the Oline and defensive backfield.
On the plus side Savage did throw the ball well and Watson was as advertised
very athletic and mobile and it was nice to see a QB here in Houston with those skills.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:55 PM
All-Pro

I finally saw the game last night, I had dvr issues Wednesday night, and I was impressed with Watson. He gives you a dynamic that the team has not had since David Carr, Watson has a good feel in the running game, something Tom Savage does not have.

Overall I thought this years draft class looked good. The future looks bright.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:28 AM
All-Pro

Did anyone notice last year's #2 pick, Martin, the Note Dame center, and whether he played well? I don't recall seeing him but then the Carolina broadcasters weren't too interested in the Texans at all.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:01 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Did anyone notice last year's #2 pick, Martin, the Note Dame center, and whether he played well? I don't recall seeing him but then the Carolina broadcasters weren't too interested in the Texans at all.
Download the NFL app for whatever sort of smart device you may have, phone, tablet, and see if you can watch archived games for free without any sort of subscription. I think you can. The reason I suggest this beyond its being useful in general is that they have the Texans home broadcast archived on the app for some reason.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I was out of state stuck watching the Carolina broadcast as well. Can't say I watched any OL particularly closely, sorry. I did notice Quessenberry on a handful of plays and was pleasantly surprised. He was called for being downfield on a prolonged redzone play by Watson, but I can't really fault him even then. Certainly wasn't sure what to expect from him coming back from such a long recovery, but he and his family must be extremely proud.

Lamar Miller and Alfred Blue are alright, but I think I could field a team with D'Onta Foreman and Akeem Hunt in the backfield and do just as well. No clue though how Foreman is in pass pro, but he got north-south in a hurry and can punish defenses running like that in the fourth quarter.

Braxton Miller left gimpy, and this was a huge reminder for me of how important he might be to the offense this season. Obviously, Hopkins is far more important, but as defenses scheme for Hop it will be critical that Brax keep healthy while taking in a plethora of short passes in the middle of the field.

So much focus on the Texans' inability to find a QB, and yet the same problems at safety and on special teams plague them. Watson got a good deal of national media love, but he is not ready week 1 based on what he showed Wednesday. His promise is there at least. But just bailing the pocket, prolonging a play to throw an inaccurate deep pass... hey, Case Keenum called and says he already called dibs on that move.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:27 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
I watched my recording of the game yesterday to concentrate on the Oline in the second time around and the most impressive Texans player on the Oline IMO was rookie LT Julian Davenport.
Of course he was going against a backup Carolina edge rusher but still for his first NFL game that was encouraging because offensive tackle is where we need help most of all. But the guy is really massive with incredibly long arms,
just what an OT needs, and he moves well for such a big man.