IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Regular Starter

Default Yikes (re: Keith's new article)

http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2009/20090708.html
Quote:
...Slaton could be looking forward to guarantees in the neighborhood of $19 million and possibly more, especially if the Texans continue to leave themselves bereft of alternatives and in a weakened bargaining position.

That’s some serious cash, even for a billionaire like owner Bob McNair, particularly when it's combined with his other big cash outlays, such as the $12.5 million guaranteed to defensive lineman Antonio Smith in March, the $10 million option bonus due to quarterback Matt Schaub after the season ends, and the more than $30 million owed to Mario Williams in 2010 and 2011 before his rookie contract expires and is likely extended.

Toss in the new contract money expected by Robinson, Ryans, and Daniels as well as the money to be negotiated by guard Chester Pitts and receiver Kevin Walter, and it becomes a lot harder to willingly sign Slaton to such an amount, even if he has earned the right to ask for that much.
I knew we had some money to pay after this season, but I never realized the situation was this dire. Those are a lot of top contributors fixing to get paid in the 2010 offseason. Assuming (hoping) the CBA gets worked out (which isn't looking promising,) it makes you wonder if we can afford to keep all our guys while maintaining a reasonable cap number. I don't think we can.

I think the guys who are expendable are the role guys like Pitts and Walter, which hurts to say because they are usually the most admirable. But, it's a lot easier to replace a Kevin Walter than it is to replace a DeMeco Ryans.

Last edited by nero THE zero; 07-09-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2009/20090708.html

I think the guys who are expendable are the role guys like Pitts and Walter, which hurts to say because they are usually the most admirable. But, it's a lot easier to replace a Kevin Walter than it is to replace a DeMeco Ryans.
I think right now Kevin Walter is the most replaceable. We've suffered through too many years of sub-par line play. Now that it looks like we might have a pretty good one I would prefer to keep it together...until we find a replacement. A RG is likely to be less affected by age than a WR. As much as I've pimped Walter the last year or two as not getting enough credit he's replaceable. I don't think it would necessarily be easy, but of everyone on the list Walter is the one I'm probably least likely to break the bank on.

Also, I love Demeo, but remember there were streches last year where Diles was the best LB on the field. Demeco had a sub-par season last year IMO. Some of that is probably due to unrealistic expectations though.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:46 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
I think right now Kevin Walter is the most replaceable. We've suffered through too many years of sub-par line play. Now that it looks like we might have a pretty good one I would prefer to keep it together...until we find a replacement. A RG is likely to be less affected by age than a WR. As much as I've pimped Walter the last year or two as not getting enough credit he's replaceable. I don't think it would necessarily be easy, but of everyone on the list Walter is the one I'm probably least likely to break the bank on.

Also, I love Demeo, but remember there were streches last year where Diles was the best LB on the field. Demeco had a sub-par season last year IMO. Some of that is probably due to unrealistic expectations though.
I agree. I love Walter and think he has been great for us, but a #2 WR is far easier to come by in FA than a starting OL.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Regular Starter

It's not an either/or propisition with Walter and Pitts; I was simply giving two names who might be expendable when considering the daunting task of re-signing Mario, Walter, Pitts, DeMeco, Dunta, OD, Slaton, etc. whilst considering Smith and Schaub's bonuses and cap restraints.

Some of these folks will be moving on to other teams. Who those are will probably depend on a lot of factors that aren't readily apparent right now.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Regular Starter

This is exactly why I don't want to pay Owen Daniels what he is asking. A tight end is just not worth that kind of money unless he is a great blocker and is a go-to guy on third down and in the red zone. Money is going to be very tight next year and overpaying OD will just make it tighter. Overpaying one player eventually means letting another one go. Like it or not, it's a zero-sum game.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtinylittle View Post
This is exactly why I don't want to pay Owen Daniels what he is asking. A tight end is just not worth that kind of money unless he is a great blocker and is a go-to guy on third down and in the red zone. Money is going to be very tight next year and overpaying OD will just make it tighter. Overpaying one player eventually means letting another one go. Like it or not, it's a zero-sum game.

I agree we are going to have make some decisions on who gets paid and who we have to let go in the next year or two, and Owen might be the best one to make walk. I don't really disagree with that. I do see a flaw in the logic that Owen will be so easily replaced. We have enough weapons to get by without a top flight TE. Owen is not a great blocker, but he has gotten much better since he came here. I think a lot of the replace Owen talk comes from the fact that we drafted Casey, at least indirectly. Even in the unlikely event that Casey comes in and is as successful as Owen in the passing game as a rookie it's going to take several years for him to catch up to even Owen's sub-par blocking skills.

Owen is also a decent target on third down...if you want to complain about Owen for his production in the red zone then you have to complain about Andre Johnson too...his TD numbers have been low compared to other top WR's too.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Another article expanding on the topic a bit... I purposely left Pitts and Walter out of this one since they'll be UFAs and aren't quite as tied down by the CBA expiration like Daniels, Ryans, Slaton, and (to a possibly lesser extent) Robinson.

Quote:
...While there has been mounting evidence that the NFL’s version of Armageddon is on its way, one doesn’t need to look much beyond Reliant Park and the troubles of four star players here, what with their sad eyes and upward palms, to know that the Texans who wear suits instead of jerseys think a lockout is imminent.

Because if you had these inclinations as the Texans’ front office surely must, then why in the world would anyone think they would have much motivation to dish out phat contracts to this, the CBA’s lost generation? ...