IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Chron: Daniels likely out for season with knee injury

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl//6697657.html

Tough break. I hope the team gets him some money and he comes back eventually....
Old 11-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Pro Bowler

Default OD Done for the Year?

Dammit!!!!!!

From PFT:
Owen Daniels is out for the year
Posted by Mike Florio on November 1, 2009 5:07 PM ET
The good news for the Texans is that their 31-10 win at Buffalo moved Houston's record to 5-3.

It's the first time the Texans are two games over .500 since Week Two of the 2007 season.

The bad news is that they'll have to continue their push for the first playoff appearance in franchise history without star tight end Owen Daniels.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, Daniels is out for the rest of the year with a knee injury.

Daniels, a restricted free agent in 2009, will be eligible for restricted free agency again in 2010, absent a new labor deal. The Texans are likely to again apply the highest possible RFA tender, forcing Daniels to prove that he is 100 percent before considering a long-term deal.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Pro Bowler

Argh! I posted my thoughts in the other thread, perhaps this thread and that one can be merged?

This can hurt. I have no idea if Casey or Dreesen will be able to take the full TE job.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:26 PM
All-Pro

Jeez, I was hoping that OD would have a MRI tomorrow and then they'd say, he needs rest for a few weeks. Doesn't sound encouraging at all right now for OD.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Pro Bowler

PFT updating this:

Owen Daniels hopeful, fears torn ACL
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 1, 2009 7:25 PM ET
Houston Texans tight end Owen Daniels said after suffering a knee injury today that he's holding out hope that MRI results will pleasantly surprise him, but that he fears he has torn his ACL.

"My knee doesn't feel good, and I'm really concerned," Daniels said. "There's always a little bit of hope, but the worst-case scenario is that I'll be back and ready to go next year."

Daniels was hurt on an incomplete pass, and he explained afterward, "I was running my route, and I planted and made my cut and felt something."

Daniels tore his left ACL in high school and his left ACL and MCL in college, so he knows what a torn ACL feels like, and he sounded after the game like a man who believes his season is over. He'll go into his MRI Monday hoping for the best but fearing the worst.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Drafted Rookie

Double Ouch. Really bad news for the Texans, even worse news for my fantasy team
Old 11-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Regular Starter

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...dy-and-houston

"The Texans tried out four tight ends: Tony Curtis, Tory Humphrey, Joe Klopfenstein and Martrez Milner."
Old 11-09-2009, 07:23 PM
All-Pro

That's interesting, we signed TE Dezmond Sherrod to practice squad last wk.

Then we should have James Casey back next week to have us back to three tight ends.

I thought Dreesen and Hill did ok last week.

Overall, we got plenty of good receivers, but replacing OD will perhaps take a while for all to adjust.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Pro Bowler

I guess losing him for the year finally opened my eyes to how much we need OD, and his game.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I guess losing him for the year finally opened my eyes to how much we need OD, and his game.

"Don't know what you got.....til its gone"
Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
You missed his vertical threat? Owen is solid going up the seams and across the field under the safeties. Dreesen is more an out kinda guy, not as much speed as OD.

Now when Casey comes back he might be able to develop the seam routes.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:10 AM
All-Pro

No doubt we have missed OD big-time in the last few weeks since his departure from his season-ending injury. The offense is just not the same without him. Would his presense have made the difference in us winning one or more of the games we've lost ? Very possibly.
I've been of the belief that his success is very much a product of the system Kubiak runs here, but so is the success of the system here a beneficiary of ODs skills and ability. I still think in time a player like Casey could fill the void, but that certainly takes far more than just a few weeks/games.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Regular Starter

Anyone here still underestimate the loss of OD? Or think that he is a system guy?

Every team has injuries, but it is obvious that we can't just plug and play with any TE in the system.

Get well OD.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
You missed his vertical threat? Owen is solid going up the seams and across the field under the safeties. Dreesen is more an out kinda guy, not as much speed as OD.

Now when Casey comes back he might be able to develop the seam routes.

No, I didn't miss the vertical threat, I just thought Casey would step in better than he has. I'm kinda dissapointed that Casey hasn't picked it up better than he has.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Hall of Fame

I'm a little disappointed they don't go to the TE's more. Dreesen and Casey are not exactly chopped liver but ever since OD went down, Schaub just doesn't seem to look that way much any more...
Old 12-16-2009, 11:58 PM
All-Pro

could be where the plays are called is where ball is thrown. maybe other guys being given a chance before going to newer TE's. But sure, OD is missed, just like the two guards are missed, or Wilson missed at safety.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Regular Starter

They obviously go into games with a different game plan without OD. I dont know if its because they dont trust dreesen or Casey but TE is a big part of our offense. We cant just completely abandon those TE screens completely because they get at least 5 yards almost everytime its called.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Veteran Depth

I've been pondering the same things since OD went down. I'd have like to seen how Casey would have handled plays called to him or similar to the routes Daniels runs. All we heard out of training camp was how he caught everything thrown to him.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:51 PM
All-Pro

“It’s the third ACL (tear) that I’ve had in my life, so I kind of know the ropes a little bit, so that’s helped out,” he said. “I’m four months out of surgery now. I’ve been ahead of schedule. (The trainers) have been trying to hold me back a little bit because we don’t have to rush. We don’t have huge time constraints. I should be full-go by the middle of summer — probably in May or June.
“I definitely have no doubt that I’ll be back and, if not better, just as strong.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...=pfw&type=lgns
For those of you going boo-hoo-hoo for OD because he dosent have a contract, here's a revelation - last years knee injury makes him a 3-time loser with that sort of injury. In other words he spend much of last year complaining he couldn't work out a contract with the Texans and apparently rejecting offers that reportedly included G.Money of 'bout 15 M after already having 2 knee problems in his career and therefor full knowing (or should be knowing) just how tenuous the career of a football player can be.
Now you've put yourself in the position of having to deal contract in the midst of recovering from your third knee, a time of great uncertainty in the NFL because of no league contract, and a year after the Texans just drafted 2 more TEs. I'm sorry but gotta say: OD you are even dumber than I thought you were !
Old 03-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Regular Starter

3 ACL tears. That means at least 2 to the same knee (could even be 3). I suspect that the odds in Vegas would be pretty high on him coming back at anything approaching pro bowl level any time soon and very likely never. My guess is that we keep him this year and move on from him next year. Dang good TE, but like 100s of players before him, injuries can bring a halt/slowdown to the career. Hopefully Joe or Casey will pan out for us.