IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 09-10-2019, 07:48 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Watson really needs to have one of these type of games go his way. Pendergast pointed out on the radio last night that four times in Watson's 23 starts, he has given the team a 4th quarter lead only to have the defense blow the game. Seattle and New England in 2017, Philly last year and last night. McClain takes it deeper:

I suppose he will just have to be content with the fact that he did what he had to do and that he only can control what he can control....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm liking what I'm seeing with the new running backs. Duke Johnson and Carlos Hyde were showing some moves not seen in these parts in a while. It's early but the future looks bright.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

That sound you heard in the late 4th quarter was all the Debbie Downer's heads exploding on social media when Watson engineered the 2-play 75 yard drive to take the lead. Yep, they (the Texans) eventually lost but what a beautiful mess....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next up is the Jags and the early line is Texans by 10.
Hyde was fantastic and Johnson was solid, especially receiving. RB went from a negative to a positive and all it took was a terrible injury for a good guy. Run Blocking was almost as good as the pass blocking was bad.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Lots to pick at in a tight game.

Second half defense? 27 points allowed. Kinda have to think Romeo got out-maneuvered here. Colvin seems to be who we thought he was. On that last pass completion to set up the game-winning FG, the DBs were all back but collapsed to their man... all except Colvin.

Watt double teamed all night. Couple LB blitzes worked ok, but pass rush is going to be an issue. Probably going to be an issue against guys like Brees (and Brady) anyway.

That drive with about 4 mins remaining. 2nd and long? Draw play for no gain. Third and long? Sacked (was this the Tunsil sack? I think so). Then go ahead and let that clock run while the punt team finishes their smokes before taking the field. I mean... yeesh.

And how about we let Duke Johnson run between the tackles more than he has in his NFL career? Or give the ball back to Hyde immediately after he busted a nice run (and was probably a little gassed)?

Taking a timeout only to then challenge a (yes, poor) spot in the first half... only to then lose the challenge and a second timeout. Hey, at least O'Brien didn't lose another 2021 draft pick there.

A lot of positives though. Tunsil was otherwise really good. I hope the Texans don't ruin him. Hyde was a welcome surprise. Watson is who we thought he was. Hopkins finally scored some "drops" but was still his amazing self. Some sweet luck on poor refs hating on the Saints (that end of 1st half time runoff was piss poor and the roughing the kicker call on Fairbairn's missed XP was fortunate).

A road loss to a non-conference opponent. If Watson's back is just a bruise, then the team came out relatively healthy. Looked like a squad capable of taking the division. Defense would stilll seem to be a matchup nightmare with the Pats offense.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:03 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Lots to pick at in a tight game.

Second half defense? 27 points allowed. Kinda have to think Romeo got out-maneuvered here. Colvin seems to be who we thought he was. On that last pass completion to set up the game-winning FG, the DBs were all back but collapsed to their man... all except Colvin.

Watt double teamed all night. Couple LB blitzes worked ok, but pass rush is going to be an issue. Probably going to be an issue against guys like Brees (and Brady) anyway.

That drive with about 4 mins remaining. 2nd and long? Draw play for no gain. Third and long? Sacked (was this the Tunsil sack? I think so). Then go ahead and let that clock run while the punt team finishes their smokes before taking the field. I mean... yeesh.

And how about we let Duke Johnson run between the tackles more than he has in his NFL career? Or give the ball back to Hyde immediately after he busted a nice run (and was probably a little gassed)?

Taking a timeout only to then challenge a (yes, poor) spot in the first half... only to then lose the challenge and a second timeout. Hey, at least O'Brien didn't lose another 2021 draft pick there.

A lot of positives though. Tunsil was otherwise really good. I hope the Texans don't ruin him. Hyde was a welcome surprise. Watson is who we thought he was. Hopkins finally scored some "drops" but was still his amazing self. Some sweet luck on poor refs hating on the Saints (that end of 1st half time runoff was piss poor and the roughing the kicker call on Fairbairn's missed XP was fortunate).

A road loss to a non-conference opponent. If Watson's back is just a bruise, then the team came out relatively healthy. Looked like a squad capable of taking the division. Defense would stilll seem to be a matchup nightmare with the Pats offense.
The timeout/challenge bungling was unforgivable. Just challenge the play. The NFL's challenge system is a mess but that one was all on BOB.

The roughing the kicker call was questionable but if they had called running into (which was an easy call) the result is the same re-kick. That was not a bad break for the Saints, it was just phenomenally stupid football.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:19 PM
All-Pro

It's truly sad when you score with :37 left in the game and your first thought is "did we leave Drew Brees too much time on the clock?"

The Saints had a rookie back for the kickoff who had already made two stupid plays (fair caught a ball at his own 2 which the Texans negated with a penalty and took off with another punt after signaling for a fair catch).

Instead of kicking the ball deep into the end zone and letting the Saints have the ball at the 25 with no time run off, why didn't CareBear pop the kick down to like the 5 or 10 and *force* New Orleans to run off some clock on the kick return? Yes, there's a chance the Saints get a long return but I think the odds are better that you make them burn 7-10 seconds and let them take over between the 20 and 30? Or possibly commit a penalty themselves which often happens on kick returns? Instead, we just do the stupid thing and let Brees have the full :37 to work his magic.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:12 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
It's truly sad when you score with :37 left in the game and your first thought is "did we leave Drew Brees too much time on the clock?"

The Saints had a rookie back for the kickoff who had already made two stupid plays (fair caught a ball at his own 2 which the Texans negated with a penalty and took off with another punt after signaling for a fair catch).

Instead of kicking the ball deep into the end zone and letting the Saints have the ball at the 25 with no time run off, why didn't CareBear pop the kick down to like the 5 or 10 and *force* New Orleans to run off some clock on the kick return? Yes, there's a chance the Saints get a long return but I think the odds are better that you make them burn 7-10 seconds and let them take over between the 20 and 30? Or possibly commit a penalty themselves which often happens on kick returns? Instead, we just do the stupid thing and let Brees have the full :37 to work his magic.
Great point. Make them burn some time there and who knows what happens.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Regular Starter

Per Ian Rapport:

Texans just released Aaron Colvin,

Sources: In the wake of last night’s loss, the #Texans are releasing veteran CB Aaron Colvin, just over a year into a 4-year, $34M contract. He gets his $7.5M for 2019, which was guaranteed.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:02 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post
Per Ian Rapport:

Sources: In the wake of last night’s loss, the #Texans are releasing veteran CB Aaron Colvin, just over a year into a 4-year, $34M contract. He gets his $7.5M for 2019, which was guaranteed.
It was clear that Brees was singling him out. When Colvin switched receivers to guard, Brees still found him and targeted him.

On a happier note, I read the Texans had extended Nick Martin's contract.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:10 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post
Per Ian Rapport:

Maybe he was told to play up and didn't on the last play.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post

On a happier note, I read the Texans had extended Nick Martin's contract.
I'm no authority on Oline play but many who are consider both Manz & Fulton to be better centers than Nick Martin and feel that if he's starting at all it should be at guard and not center but clearly O'Brien likes him.
Frankly I don't know what position O'Brien can accurately evaluate ?
Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Maybe he was told to play up and didn't on the last play.
The other defenders on that side were much closer up but then I've seen defensive alignments where two guys play up and one guy is back even though a receiver is standing in front of each of them.

I do believe that if it is obvious the opposing QB is picking on one defender like Brees was with Colvin, you get your defender out of the game *unless* you intend to bait the QB and go for the pick. You have to force the QB to look for another option instead of taking the easy completion to the defender he's picking on.

I saw Colvin on Thomas and Brees threw to Thomas then I saw Colvin on Cook so Brees started throwing to Cook and then Colvin was moved to Ted Gimp, Jr. and - surprise - Brees starts throwing there. I don't think O'Brien cut him for one play. I think O'Brien cut him because he was Brees' personal key to where he was throwing the ball.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:55 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I'm no authority on Oline play but many who are consider both Manz & Fulton to be better centers than Nick Martin and feel that if he's starting at all it should be at guard and not center but clearly O'Brien likes him.
Frankly I don't know what position O'Brien can accurately evaluate ?
At least we now know where all this free cap money is going. They're going to give top 5 money to bottom 5 players.

PFF had Martin ranked 5th in the division at his position. You'll note that there are only 4 teams. Yet he ranked 5th.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Hall of Fame

There is still a buzz going on about this game:

Quote:
Saints Off Wild Win

The Saints were 30-28 winners at home Monday night as touchdown favorites over Houston in quite possibly the most entertaining game we might see all season. In fact, it was the first time in Monday Night Football a lead changed more than once in the final minute of the fourth quarter.
I've heard the game described as a "heartbreaker" to Texan fans. Oddly, I didn't have the heartbreak feeling after this one. I felt the Texans gave as good an effort as they could have in a game they weren't supposed to win. But, here's hoping that the Texans keep giving us entertaining games and winning a few of them.....