IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2019, 12:23 PM
All-Pro

Now I see we got a 3rd rounder too. I am more okay with that.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:36 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Now I see we got a 3rd rounder too. I am more okay with that.
They were going to get a 3rd anyway if he walked, which he would have.

Compare this to what the Raiders got for Mack. Criminal.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:42 PM
Regular Starter

They traded Clowney for Martin. That’s it. Mingo was getting cut and we would have gotten a 3rd letting him walk in free agency.

I wasn’t around here much anymore due to kids and other priorities in life but this just about does it for me. Absent a complete overhaul, this franchise will never achieve anything of significance and they’re no longer worth the aggravation. Sundays will now be spent on the golf course.

Best of luck to everyone here. I wish I could say it was fun.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:56 PM
Regular Starter

This is terrible
bob is gutting the team based on his feelings being hurt,
Complete and utter incompetence...
Old 09-02-2019, 10:37 PM
Regular Starter

Background info from my friend now that all is said and done.

Quote:
The Texans and Clowney's agent, met at the end of the season in January at which time the Texans offered an initial 5 year deal worth $90 million dollar deal which a week later Clowney and his agent rejected.

The Texans felt that was a fair deal and the structure gave them some flexibility when it came to sign Watson and a future LT long term. Bus and Clowney felt it was to low.. They also wanted a 6 yr deal.

The Texans countered with a six year deal right around $110. Again, Bus and Clowney rejected. The Texans stewed over what to do and then decided to tag him.

Clowney and Bus were pissed... Bus made it very clear his client would never report or play under a tag. Things cooled off for awhile.

Clowney and OB spoke a couple times before camp but didn't talk contract. OB wanted to know how he was and how his training was going.

I would say second week of camp rumors started circling that D. Brown was helping Clowney try to figure away out of Houston.

The Texans made one more offer to Clowney which was a 6 yr deal right around $115 million. It wasn't Donald or Mack money but it was a fair offer.. Again, Clowney and Bus said no..

I don't know at this point of the last offer if Brown had gotten so far in Clowneys head he wanted out or if it was more Bus. Weird thing is, Clowney let his agent go a day or two later.

At that point, the Texans realized this wasn't going to work long term and instead of dealing with him sitting out and not plying, the decision was made to trade him.

Why the Texans picked up the $7 million, IMHO, right, wrong or indifferent, was partly to show Clowney the organization was committed to him.

That's the best summary of how it played. Now I know my numbers are right. The structure of the deals I had slight insight into. My time line might be off a tad in some spots.

From what I know now, Bus was looking for a 6 yr deal between $128-130 million.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:15 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
Things make much more sense when you get the inside info they are basing there decisions on.

And I would love to know why Clowney decided to fire his agent. Did it have to do with Clowney not being willing to miss a check, a smart stance btw, and Bus wanting him to hold out.

If the player that was voted #52 (iirc) by the players thinks he will get that kind of money they must be crazy. He passed up $115MM, that is a bigger contract than JJ got. I've never been a Bus fan, and now I am seeing more info that supports my side of that opinion.

And Bikerack, thank you again for this summary.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:41 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm very interested in the terms of the contract the Texans supposedly offered Clowney but those numbers mean nothing to anybody unless you tell us
the amounts that were guaranteed ?
This whole episode between Clowney and the Texans has been very bizarre and
could be the textbook example of how not to negotiate with a player who's contract was expiring.
Houston did everything wrong especially in negotiating with Clowney to consummate a new deal with him or trade him on or before the two key dates which were the 2019 NFL Draft in April and July 15, the deadline for the team to negotiate a new long-term contract.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:52 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I'm very interested in the terms of the contract the Texans supposedly offered Clowney but those numbers mean nothing to anybody unless you tell us
the amounts that were guaranteed ?
This whole episode between Clowney and the Texans has been very bizarre and
could be the textbook example of how not to negotiate with a player who's contract was expiring.
Houston did everything wrong especially in negotiating with Clowney to consummate a new deal with him or trade him on or before the two key dates which were the 2019 NFL Draft in April and July 15, the deadline for the team to negotiate a new long-term contract.
I'm not going to defend the Texans in how they did everything from start to finish, but I don't know how you can say they did "everything wrong" when they negotiated with his agent and gave some solid offers in the Spring.

Also, I asked my friend if he knew anything about the guaranteed money and he said the best offer had around $75 million guaranteed with around a $30 million signing bonus.

Mack was $90 mil guaranteed with a $60 million signing bonus and I don't think any of us would argue that Clowney should have received anywhere close to that kind of offer.

My own opinion is that the Texans offered close to what they knew they could afford knowing that Watson, Watt, Hopkins, Mercilus, etc. were going to get extensions or bumps soon (and that doesn't even factor in an extension for Tunsil).
Old 09-04-2019, 10:55 AM
Regular Starter

One last thing...something I learned through this whole ordeal.

Everyone kept saying that the Texans lost the ability to sign Clowney to a new deal once that July deadline passed. That's all John McClain or the other guys on the radio would talk about.

After the deadline, you can still negotiate and come to an agreement...then you rescind the tag making the player a FA...then you sign him to the negotiated deal.

There is some trust you have to have that the player doesn't just bolt once they are a FA, but signing a new deal after that deadline is possible.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:15 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not going to defend the Texans in how they did everything from start to finish, ..............
Yep, when I heard the numbers, I thought they were fair and not insulting. As for the trade, I think the value received is what is upsetting to most people.

OTOH, some "experts" have predicted that Clowney will not have a very long career due to his knee surgeries. If this proves to be true, then the Texans might have avoided a bigger faux pas....
Old 09-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Regular Starter

I've seen the same thing...apparently the ROI for the type of surgery he had is about 5 years.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:33 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm not going to defend the Texans in how they did everything from start to finish, but I don't know how you can say they did "everything wrong" when they negotiated with his agent and gave some solid offers in the Spring.

Also, I asked my friend if he knew anything about the guaranteed money and he said the best offer had around $75 million guaranteed with around a $30 million signing bonus.

Mack was $90 mil guaranteed with a $60 million signing bonus and I don't think any of us would argue that Clowney should have received anywhere close to that kind of offer.

My own opinion is that the Texans offered close to what they knew they could afford knowing that Watson, Watt, Hopkins, Mercilus, etc. were going to get extensions or bumps soon (and that doesn't even factor in an extension for Tunsil).
I should have said that once the Texans realized that they would not meet Clowneys demands for a new deal they then proceeded to do everything wrong in terms of getting something close to reasonable value for him.
I never thought Clowney was worth anything like multiple first round picks but maybe multiple picks with the top pick of the batch being a second rounder.
And thanks for the specifics on the guaranteed money which to me seems reasonable.