IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Honestly, there's decent value at 4.35 for a couple of those QBs. But none of them should likely see the field in 2014.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:34 AM
All-Pro

My assessment of the picks:

1-1 Clowney (Bob would have chose...Clowney). Not knowing what trade-down options were available and knowing all the Manziel love was window dressing, the Texans stayed home and got the best talent on the draft board. I still say his career track will resemble Jevon Kearse but is it all that bad? Kearse was a terror for the first few years.

2-1 Sua-Filo (Bob would have chose...Sua-Filo). We desperately needed to upgrade the offensive line and we did so with the best guard prospect in the draft. Should be a top guard in the NFL for years to come.

3-1 Fiedorowicz (Bob would have chose... Moses Morgan, OT, UVa). There were four top tight ends in this draft and the Texans took the last of them. From that standpoint, hard to argue this pick if you thought TE was a big need. I didn't but that doesn't mean O'Brien has different ideas for the offense. I would have rather grabbed my right tickle which, IMO, is a greater need.

3-19. Nix (Bob applauds the trade up but unsure if Nix was the guy to trade up for). We needed more second-day bodies I've said all along so I can hardly be upset that we traded back up into the third round. Good job, guys. DT is certainly a position of need but is it vital in a Romeo Crennel defense or would big tubs of goo we can find later fill the bill as well? Nix was supposed to be a first-round guy and I do not know why everyone passed on him twice (and Houston three times). That's the big mystery and until I learn what turned off all the other teams, it is hard for me to endorse the selection.

We sacrifice two of our tradable picks on Day 3 but I am okay with that although I would have liked to packege 4-1 and one of the 6th instead of the 5th. But, to get to 3-19, that's a reasonable sacrifice.

Overall, I give the Texans an A-. The first two picks were spot on and the third one is defendable. Trading back up was a great move and choosing Nix may be a fantastic move or it may be a total waste. I'd still like to know why he dropped so far.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Regular Starter

I've heard some speculate that Nix dropped because he'll primarily be a run stuffer and will come off the field on 3rd downs. Personnally, if a guy helps to consistently put the other team in 3rd and long, he's done his job and I'm fine giving him a blow and bringing in the pass rushers.

Can't say I dislike the picks so far. All make a certain amount of sense. Just wish I knew what the plan is at QB. Until we get one, I'm concerned this is all Titanic deck chair shuffling.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:48 AM
All-Pro

Understood we probably wouldn't take a QB in the first round, but figured it would be in the 2nd or 3rd, not the 4th or later ? Very surprising. And then it also seems puzzling that they'd draft a LG before a RT, especially with the 33rd overall, unless they plan on playing the "X-man" at RT (he's played quite a bit of tackle in college at UCLA according to his resume).
Old 05-10-2014, 08:52 AM
All-Pro

These likely qualify as rumor red flags on Nix.

First, apparently he tweaked his knee for a few games this past season so some durability question.

Second, condtioning , apparently the boy likes to eat and can easily get up to 350, with ideal playing weight around 330.

And as mentioned is he a one, two or three down player.

Lots of upside and likely a first round value we got.

Overall, seems we got best player available at each pick and built with picks from inside out, OL and DL. Good plan on building a team.

Fidorowixz should help blocking and some possible flexibilty in backfield, 6'5" , 265 . Red zone help as well.

Last edited by Nconroe; 05-10-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Understood we probably wouldn't take a QB in the first round, but figured it would be in the 2nd or 3rd, not the 4th or later ? Very surprising. And then it also seems puzzling that they'd draft a LG before a RT, especially with the 33rd overall, unless they plan on playing the "X-man" at RT (he's played quite a bit of tackle in college at UCLA according to his resume).
I think the Texans are going BPA. I suspect the Texans only liked either Bortles or Bridgewater if that and without trade down from 1-1, the Texans didn't have picks to trade up into first round.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:15 AM
All-Pro

Some thoughts on OL. Could be by getting our LG for next 10 years we now let three RT , incl Quessenberry, Williams, and Newton compete.

And by using Clowneyat OLB with Mercilus, possibly Brooks Reed can go to ILB.

At QB, in a way lucky, could be Savage or Mettenberger are better than any of 5 QB already drafted. And maybe 3 QB we already have aren't that bad. Or we might trade for MCGloin or Mallett. Or something else.

And soon will have 6 or so more picks.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Pro Bowler

I'm starting to suspect the Mallett rumors are more media and Pats driven. Being that he's in the last year of his contract, if you trade for him, you have to start him in order to see what you have. And if that's the case, they wasted $8MM on Fitz. The only way Mallett works is if you get him for a cheap pick and he's signs a cheap, super cap friendly extension. But again, you've probably burnt $8MM on Fitz that could've went elsewhere. Smith and BOB have to see this, right?

Personally, I think they'll draft one of these rookies sooner or later and hope they strike gold. If not, pray they're in position for a top QB in 2015.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
I'm starting to suspect the Mallett rumors are more media and Pats driven. Being that he's in the last year of his contract, if you trade for him, you have to start him in order to see what you have. And if that's the case, they wasted $8MM on Fitz. The only way Mallett works is if you get him for a cheap pick and he's signs a cheap, super cap friendly extension. But again, you've probably burnt $8MM on Fitz that could've went elsewhere. Smith and BOB have to see this, right?

Personally, I think they'll draft one of these rookies sooner or later and hope they strike gold. If not, pray they're in position for a top QB in 2015.
If the Texans aren't in position to take a QB next season, something will have went horribly right this coming season.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Pro Bowler

Re Mallett: I fully understand they likely signed Ftiz before they even thought about Mallett and wasting $8MM is secondary. However, signing Fitz also implies they were wanting to draft a QB, and probably high. While things can change, it just adds to my thought that Mallett just doesn't make sense.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Joe View Post
If the Texans aren't in position to take a QB next season, something will have went horribly right this coming season.
Is .500 ball horribly right? End up at pick 12+ in 2015 and we might have a hard time getting a top QB.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:09 AM
All-Pro

If I can get Mallet for one of our 6ths I am not against it. I heard a report yesterday he was willing to add a year to his deal to get it done. Under those circumstances I am for it. And it still wouldn't stop me from drafting Murray/McCarron/Mettenberger/Savage if one is left in the 6th.

As for Fitzpatrick, backup QBs are paid what he is paid these days. If he is your backup this year at that salary you are fine. If you accidentally solve your QB with Mallet or a 6th round guy, you can cut Fitzpatrick, eat the cap hit, and still spend less in 2015 at QB than almost any team in the league. If you are drafting your QB in 2015, then Fitzpatrick is not a bad option as a veteran backup. Either way, I really don't see Fitzpatrick or the $8 million as a problem.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:26 AM
All-Pro

Quote:

Negatory ! Let's pray we aren't in position for a top QB in 2015.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:33 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
Some thoughts on OL. Could be by getting our LG for next 10 years we now let three RT , incl Quessenberry, Williams, and Newton compete.
Former UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel, who recruited Su’a-Filo and started him as a freshman, said he’s talented enough to play left tackle in the pros but is a better fit at guard because he doesn’t have unusually long arms.

“He’s a dancing bear,” Neuheisel said. “His feet never stop, and they’re not just moving to move. They’re purposeful. He still has huge upside in terms of his strength potential, but there isn’t a better athlete in the offensive front in this draft.”
http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la...505-story.html
I'm thinking that less than ideal arm-length is not the liabilty at RT it is at LT, and given this guys athleticism I'm starting to get hopeful the Texans see
him as their salvation at RT ? Of course don't know, unless anybody has heard anything from the Texans about their specific intentions for the X-man ?
Old 05-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Regular Starter

I haven't seen anything from the team, but one scouting report I read said X "struggled mightily" at LT and should be considered only as a G. At RT he'd still have to deal with long-armed DE rather than the shorter DTs inside.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:20 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post

And by using Clowneyat OLB with Mercilus, possibly Brooks Reed can go to ILB.

At QB, in a way lucky, could be Savage or Mettenberger are better than any of 5 QB already drafted.
These are three great points that I've been trying to keep in mind myself. We have a couple of unseen RT types that may be good solutions now that they're presumably healthy.

And I'm not at all convinced that one of the quarterbacks yet to be drafted won't be better than the five that already have been.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Is .500 ball horribly right? End up at pick 12+ in 2015 and we might have a hard time getting a top QB.
No QB and play .500...I would consider that horribly right. Also, at 12 would likely have be as good a chance at a QB as any in this draft.