IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Not Quite ...In the Bullseye > The Other Sports

Old 08-13-2013, 11:13 AM
All-Pro

Default Voters will get to decide fate of Astrodome

Quote:
A $217 million bond authorization that would pay to turn the iconic Astrodome into a convention and exhibit hall is officially headed to Harris County voters.

Harris County Commissioners Court on Tuesday ordered a November bond election for the renovation, and also approved $8 million for asbestos abatement, selective demolition and other work county staff says needs to be done on the vacant stadium whether it is revamped or torn down.

That includes allowing the county purchasing agent to inventory and sell Dome-related "sports memorabilia," including signs.

If the referendum passes and the county chooses to issue the entire bond amount, county budget staff have said it would increase the average property tax bill by $8 a year.

That's for a home valued at $200,000, minus a $40,000 homestead exemption.
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...php?cmpid=hpbn
I will be sprinting to the polls in November when they open to vote this sukker down ! More 1st rate politicians with a 4th rate business idea.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:12 PM
All-Pro

As a longtime Houston sports fan who remembers the Dome when it truly was the Eighth Wonder of the World, I sincerely hope a way is found to breathe new life into the Astrodome so it can stay intact and a vibrant part of the community.

However, as someone who no longer lives in the Houston area, it's not my place to tell the voters how they should respond. It won't be my tax money they will be spending. I am glad, though, that the voters will finally get a say in the fate of the historic icon. It has waited way too long.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 PM
All-Pro

Red face

I sure have a lot of good memories of Astrodome starting with seeing Astros play there in 1965.

So, I hope there is good use found for the Dome.

I don't live in Harris County either so can't vote either.

Have they said what happens if bond issue fails?
Old 08-14-2013, 12:55 PM
All-Pro

Sounds like both of you have the luxury of clinging to sentimental memories of the old Dome while not being in the position of being a Houston/Harris Co taxpayer who
would be stuck with subsidizing and sustaining the existence of a fiscal fiasco.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Administrator

I am not a Harris County voter either, but since there is already venue in the same parking lot that can be used as a convention hall (not to mention the GRB downtown), why is another one necessary? Seriously asking... haven't been keeping up with this.

Seems to me the Texans could use the extra real estate for parking, which would generate some revenue since so many fans seem to enjoy gameday traffic without a ticket for the game itself. Sure a new convention venue would generate more revenue, but the A/C bill on the Dome alone must be pretty expensive too.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:35 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I will be sprinting to the polls in November when they open to vote this sukker down ! More 1st rate politicians with a 4th rate business idea.
i agree with this thought
Old 09-13-2013, 06:44 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Reliant Park and Harris County officials on Thursday announced the launch of a campaign to garner voter support for a plan to redevelop the Astrodome, with Harris County Judge Ed Emmett and Precinct 1 Commissioner El Franco Lee each pledging $5,000 to the effort.

A referendum to fund the project will appear on the ballot this November. If approved, the county would issue up to $217 million in bonds to turn the now-vacant stadium into "The New Dome Experience," an energy-efficient event center flanked by an "inviting" outdoor green space.
Officials from Harris County, which owns the Dome and Reliant Park, and the Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation, the agency that oversees the complex and conceived the renovation plan, will drive the campaign, along with a coalition of local and national historic preservation groups keen on saving the structure.
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news...gn-4810625.php
Usual line-up of suspects here, including the fat-cats like Emmett who already "manage" the fiscal affairs of Harris country, who are pushing this deal. We all know that there's never been any project for the Dome that's made economic sense to the private sector, that's why it's stood vacant all these years.
I saw a story on the national TV news this week about some of the nations largest municipalities including Chicago & Philly that may be right behind Detroit in terms of their futures fiscally speaking, so if you are a Houston taxpayer and you like that kind of publicity for your home town on the 5:30 news I suggest you vote for this project in November. But if you don't want to add more debt to the citys balance sheet for something that's not economically feasible, say "NO" to the referendum in November !
Old 09-13-2013, 09:12 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
flanked by an "inviting" outdoor green space.
Translation: something that isn't concrete or asphalt.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Old 10-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Pro Bowler

I don't live "in" Houston, so I don't really have a dog in the tax game hunt, but man, that would be pretty cool if they could pull it off.

We went up to NE for the playoff game, and we were all pretty impressed with Patriots place. It seems that video is along the same lines.

Nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to have to pay for it....
Old 10-26-2013, 10:21 AM
All-Pro

Speaking of the upcoming elections in Houston, the incumbent mayor has sure gone negative on Ben Hall, so he's obviously her main competitor or she certainly seems to think he is. She's just completing her second term, yet I've seen nothing positive about any achievements she thinks she might have had up to now ? I'm starting to fill sorry for ole Ben, they are really bashing that guy.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Dumping this here instead of starting a new Astrodome thread...

Quote:
Astrodome seats, turf, turnstiles, and other memorabilia are being pulled out of the iconic building Monday for a sale and auction to be held at Reliant Center Saturday.

Larger items are headed for auction, while smaller items will be sold at a fixed price. Registration for the auction begins at 7 a.m. The sale begins at 8 a.m.

Highlights of the sale include roughly 500 pairs of seats to be sold for $200 per pair. A 12 inch by 12 inch piece of turf will go for $20. There's a limit of four pairs of seats (eight seats total) per person and a limit of four squares of turf per person. ...
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...#photo-5379661
Old 11-06-2013, 07:08 AM
All-Pro

So that's about a quarter Bill less $s that the politicians/bureaucrats will have to pocket, so take a pic if you want to remember, 'cause it's Dome Down ! Yipeee !
Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 AM
All-Pro

If there was a politician anywhere who wasn't going to spend the money on something more worthless, I might celebrate but a renovated dome was something I might have actually benefited from.

I guess they can put the money toward a battered womens shelter since Jim Crane ran out on the last one.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:03 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
If there was a politician anywhere who wasn't going to spend the money on something more worthless, I might celebrate but a renovated dome was something I might have actually benefited from.
You might have somehow benefited Bob, but easy for an Austin resident to say since there's not the down side for you that there is for us who live in Harris County/Houston who are stuck with the debt service on the Bonds.
And check out below the "benefit" we taxpayers got for that 100 million plus
bonds the politicians floated 4 or 5 years ago. Yea, local taxpayers did the right thing yesterday.
HOUSTON (FOX 26) -
For the first time, a cruise ship has set sail from its home port at the controversial Bayport Cruise Terminal.

The Caribbean Princess cast off, Tuesday evening, for a four-day cruise to Progresso, Mexico.

Better late than never for an inaugural cruise at the Port of Houston's Bayport Terminal, which was built with bond money and completed in 2009 at a cost of $108 million.

For the better part of four years, the terminal sat unused – until now.

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/23...#ixzz2jsimoWMN
Old 11-06-2013, 11:52 AM
All-Pro

Who thought it was a winning idea to sail your first/last half-hour of a cruise viewing the scenic and romantic Houston Ship Channel with its noxious gases from Pasadena and Baytown? I could have told them that wouldn't fly.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 PM
All-Pro

The results of the Dome vote was at the very least a mild surprise, and one of the more interesting post election analysis I've heard was that the Ben Hall "turnout" was very instrumental in producing those results.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Pro Bowler

I went to the dome many times and watched a great deal of Oilers and Astros games as well as a few concerts. Fond memories, indeed. However, my lasting impression of the dome will forever be the dilapidated carcass it became after it was abandoned and the ensuing cesspool it became after Katrina. That mess of a facility should have been torn down 10+ years ago. Now, I'm all for a developer coming in and building a nice green space and possibly putting a quality hotel or two there. I certainly think those two things would help us get on the Super Bowl rotation more often.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:23 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Astrodome, Adios
Houston voters show their good architectural judgment.
Conservatives believe in preserving what is good and true, including some classic architecture, but then there is the Houston Astrodome. The nation's first large covered sports stadium, which opened in 1965, may be razed after Houston voters on Tuesday rejected a $217 million bond measure to fix up the creaking place.

Congratulations to Houstonians on their fiscal wisdom and architectural judgment. Though born of Texas bravado, the Astrodome was always a lousy sports venue—too cavernous for baseball, and football should be played outdoors. Houston's sports teams have abandoned the Dome, and the fire marshal has declared it unsafe to use even for rodeos and livestock shows.

Rather than waste taxpayer money for renovations, better to tear the place down and put up something else. The Astrodome is not the Alamo.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...82311210206636
Old 11-07-2013, 03:05 PM
All-Pro

I agree with thoughts Popanot had. Seem final decisions should happen fairly soon.