IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 04-01-2019, 08:18 AM
All-Pro

Default Getting Closer to Draft Weekend Mock

Upfront I want to apologize on the All Caps on the mock, I'm to lazy to retype the names.

This is an OnTheClock mock

23: R1P23 TE TJ HOCKENSON IOWA
All the OT and CB were gone with 1st round talent in the Mock. This kid is supposed to be a blocking beast, a plus route runner. Top rated TE in the draft at 23.

54: R2P22 CB JOEJUAN WILLIAMS VANDERBILT
6'4" CB, not a supper fast guy, but he has played against elite talent. Is a press coverage guy, very disruptive at all levels. Needs work, should be a solid #2 CB. Very Smart.

55: R2P23 OT GREG LITTLE OLE MISS
Lance Zierlein compared him to Duane Brown coming out. Started all 3 season he was at Mississippi. Junior tackle, played against elite talent, will learn from play to play. Smart guy.

86: R3P22 OT MAX SCHARPING NORTHERN ILLINOIS
6'6" monster of a man. Can handle bull rush, but needs to improve his feet. Right Tackle prospect. Team player, went back for senior season to win MAC championship and they did. Ivy league recruited him hard, so another smart guy. Once he adjust to NFL, should start a long time. played both sides in games, so could swing if needed.

143: R5P5 RB BRYCE LOVE STANFORD
Gave up 2020 4th round pick, to trade with the Giants to grab Love. Like Bob I really like this kid. Is projected to be ready for training camp, but I gave a future pick for a future player.

161: R5P23 WR HUNTER RENFROW CLEMSON
Again Bob and I like the same player. Renfrow has good chemistry with D4, and why not have another Clemson player here. Quicker than fast, and would be good insurance for Coutee.

195: R6P22 CB JIMMY MORELAND JAMES MADISON
Small CB, but will play in the hip pocket. needs works to adjust, but willing to take a chance, and when he picks the ball off he is trying to score. Also has some character flags, so Texans may not go here.

220: R7P6 G DEION CALHOUN MISS. STATE
Smallish height wise, but with long arms. determined blocker. Another SEC guy in the trench.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:13 PM
Regular Starter

Here is the one I just did...made one small trade (moving further back in the 3rd to pick up a 4th).

23: R1P23 DL RASHAN GARY MICHIGAN - BPA. He's consistently ranked in the top 10 prospects for the draft and I wasn't going to pass him up. He can play both interior and edge DL.

54: R2P22 OT GREG LITTLE OLE MISS - Turns out passing on OL and CB in the 1st doesn't hurt too much this time. I also agree that Little's college experience in the SEC is a plus.

55: R2P23 CB TRAYVON MULLEN CLEMSON - One of the 2nd tier CBs from a top program lasts until the end of the 2nd.

93: R3P29 S TAYLOR RAPP WASHINGTON - Very versatile safety. UW utilized him all over the field.

105: R4P3 RB DARRELL HENDERSON MEMPHIS - Unless it is all smoke, the Texans haven't been hiding the fact that they are interested in drafting a RB. They've also met with Henderson a couple of times.

161: R5P23 G BEN POWERS OKLAHOMA - Best OG available at this point in the mock. 6'4" and 315+

195: R6P22 WR HUNTER RENFROW CLEMSON - like everyone else, I like him

220: R7P6 CB IMAN MARSHALL USC - best DB available but insert whoever would make the best special teamer here.

The trade...

TRADE PARTNER:

NEW YORK JETS
SENT:
ROUND: 3 PICK: 22

RECEIVED:
ROUND: 3 PICK: 29
ROUND: 4 PICK: 3
Old 04-01-2019, 01:13 PM
All-Pro

I used the newly-published "On the Clock Composite" board. I can seemingly always trade down from 2-23 to 2-26 and pick up Dallas' 4-26 which gives us a choice in every round. Otherwise, I made no trades:

23: R1P23 OT CODY FORD, OKLAHOMA

I actually had a wealth of OL choices, which is unusual. Even though Andre Dillard is my OT preference, I chose Cody Ford because he has LT potential but is more versatile.

54: R2P22 OT KALEB MCGARY, WASHINGTON

McGary is a LT prospect who has been sneaking into the bottom of the first round in some mocks. Either way, the LT issue should now be considered resolved.

58: R2P26 CB JUSTIN LAYNE, MICHIGAN ST.

JoeJuan was still available but I like Layne better.

86: R3P22 TE JACE STERNBERGER, TEXAS A&M

Sternberger has deep-middle potential. I was disappointed with the choices here.

128: R4P26 WR HUNTER RENFROW, CLEMSON

No need to go over this again.

161: R5P23 RB MYLES GASKIN, WASHINGTON

I felt safe when the fifth round started but there was a "run" and I missed out on Love and my other choice, Benny Snell. Gaskin was the last guy I like at that point.

195: R6P22 LB JOSIAH TAUAEFA, UT-SAN ANTONIO

All-around athlete who should be great at special teams, if nothing else.

220: R7P6 DL RICKY WALKER, VIRGINIA TECH

Finally, some added beef for the d-line.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:44 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
23: R1P23 OT CODY FORD, OKLAHOMA

I actually had a wealth of OL choices, which is unusual. Even though Andre Dillard is my OT preference, I chose Cody Ford because he has LT potential but is more versatile.
A solid OL prospect that should be a long term starter, but I see him as more of a OG. Now the Texans could use a couple of studs in the middle, and Ford and Ranking on paper look like fixes for both guards. and I think you might have fixed the OLT with your next pick
54: R2P22 OT KALEB MCGARY, WASHINGTON

McGary is a LT prospect who has been sneaking into the bottom of the first round in some mocks. Either way, the LT issue should now be considered resolved.

58: R2P26 CB JUSTIN LAYNE, MICHIGAN ST.

JoeJuan was still available but I like Layne better.
i do not think I am the DB expert, so I'm game for anyone who is an upgrade.

161: R5P23 RB MYLES GASKIN, WASHINGTON

I felt safe when the fifth round started but there was a "run" and I missed out on Love and my other choice, Benny Snell. Gaskin was the last guy I like at that point. That is why I tend to take Love before the 5th round, I don't see him making it to the Texans 5th round pick. Then I worry I need a healthy body to fill in.
I like seeing the different options.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:23 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Upfront I want to apologize on the All Caps on the mock, I'm to lazy to retype the names.

This is an OnTheClock mock

23: R1P23 TE TJ HOCKENSON IOWA
All the OT and CB were gone with 1st round talent in the Mock. This kid is supposed to be a blocking beast, a plus route runner. Top rated TE in the draft at 23.

54: R2P22 CB JOEJUAN WILLIAMS VANDERBILT
6'4" CB, not a supper fast guy, but he has played against elite talent. Is a press coverage guy, very disruptive at all levels. Needs work, should be a solid #2 CB. Very Smart.

55: R2P23 OT GREG LITTLE OLE MISS
Lance Zierlein compared him to Duane Brown coming out. Started all 3 season he was at Mississippi. Junior tackle, played against elite talent, will learn from play to play. Smart guy.

86: R3P22 OT MAX SCHARPING NORTHERN ILLINOIS
6'6" monster of a man. Can handle bull rush, but needs to improve his feet. Right Tackle prospect. Team player, went back for senior season to win MAC championship and they did. Ivy league recruited him hard, so another smart guy. Once he adjust to NFL, should start a long time. played both sides in games, so could swing if needed.

143: R5P5 RB BRYCE LOVE STANFORD
Gave up 2020 4th round pick, to trade with the Giants to grab Love. Like Bob I really like this kid. Is projected to be ready for training camp, but I gave a future pick for a future player.

161: R5P23 WR HUNTER RENFROW CLEMSON
Again Bob and I like the same player. Renfrow has good chemistry with D4, and why not have another Clemson player here. Quicker than fast, and would be good insurance for Coutee.

195: R6P22 CB JIMMY MORELAND JAMES MADISON
Small CB, but will play in the hip pocket. needs works to adjust, but willing to take a chance, and when he picks the ball off he is trying to score. Also has some character flags, so Texans may not go here.

220: R7P6 G DEION CALHOUN MISS. STATE
Smallish height wise, but with long arms. determined blocker. Another SEC guy in the trench.
LT is the teams single biggest need so if you think Greg Little is your long-term solution to protect Watsons blind side then why not just take him at 23 in the first round and not try to get cute with it when somebody else could grab him well before you had the opportunity to use your second round pick.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:37 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
LT is the teams single biggest need so if you think Greg Little is your long-term solution to protect Watsons blind side then why not just take him at 23 in the first round and not try to get cute with it when somebody else could grab him well before you had the opportunity to use your second round pick.
Fair point. In this mock I was trying to go best player available based on needs. The TE was off the chart the BPA, similar to Reed last season. According to the list I was using Little was a reach where I took him. Some of the guys making these lists have no clue about a lot of these guys.

And I will admit to it today, I liked Duane Brown as a 3rd or 4th round pick. I was not happy when they took him in the 1st, and I admit I was wrong. He might of been the best OT in his class in hind sight.

And lastly how I look at the mocks, can I take a not OLT or CB at 23, and still get talent later. I like to hear the guys that are here and their different opinions on the player. Don't think I love every player I select in these mocks, especially late in the draft.

As to what I want the team to do is get the middle OL strong, so D4 can step up, and I think Bob's mock does that best.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:16 PM
All-Pro

Duane Brown was the Kaleb McGary of this year's draft. There were (iirc) five OTs taken before Brown and he was expected to be a mid-to-low second-rounder but when it got to Houston's pick, he was the best OT left on the board and the only one they thought could handle the LT position in the WCO. So they "reached" and, thank goodness, he panned out.

McGary was regarded as a mid-round pick but he graded out well at the combine and now gets taken in the early second and sometimes low first in the mocks I see. It's not unusual to "overpay" for QBs, LTs and CBs in the draft. Sometimes you reach and get Duane Brown. Sometimes you reach and get Paxton Lynch. Sometimes you reach and get Kevin Johnson.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:56 PM
All-Pro

Default CBS Aggregate With Trades (4/4)

I was set to draft Cody Ford at 1/23 when I was hit with a trade offer by the Evil Patriots. It was too good to pass up:

TRADE PARTNER:
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
SENT:
ROUND: 1 PICK: 23

RECEIVED:
ROUND: 2 PICK: 24
ROUND: 2 PICK: 32
ROUND: 3 PICK: 33
ROUND: 3 PICK: 37

That gave me no first but four seconds and three thirds. So I traded back up to get the best OT on the board.

TRADE PARTNER:
ARIZONA CARDINALS
SENT:
ROUND: 2 PICK: 22

RECEIVED:
ROUND: 2 PICK: 1

and then I did my standard deal with Dallas to pick up a fourth.

TRADE PARTNER:
DALLAS COWBOYS
SENT:
ROUND: 2 PICK: 23

RECEIVED:
ROUND: 2 PICK: 26
ROUND: 4 PICK: 26

Now I have three picks in the second, three in the third and one in every round afterward. With this, I had the luxury of reaching for some players I wanted earlier than I think they'll fall. The results:

33: R2P1 OT KALEB MCGARY, WASHINGTON

Yodny Cajuste was also available but McGary seems to have passed him.

56: R2P24 CB TRAYVON MULLEN, CLEMSON

His stock seems to be sliding but I still think he's just below the first tier.

58: R2P26 G MICHAEL DEITER, WISCONSIN

Between McGary and Deiter, the OL gets a big boost.

86: R3P22 TE JACE STERNBERGER, TEXAS A&M

Could be better as a pro than he was at A&M.

97: R3P33 CB ISAIAH JOHNSON, HOUSTON

Local kid who will give us, along with Mullen, two chances to find an eventual replacement for JJo.

101: R3P37 RB BENNY SNELL, KENTUCKY

Can be a three-down back in the pros. Blew me away with his bowl game.

128: R4P26 WR HUNTER RENFROW, CLEMSON

No need to explain this again.

161: R5P23 DL GREG GAINES, WASHINGTON

I missed out on Daylon Mack but Gaines is another run-plugger for the d-line.

195: R6P22 LB GARY JOHNSON, TEXAS

Smallish LB but very active and packs a punch.

220: R7P6 S ANDREW WINGARD, WYOMING

Typically doesn't fall this far in mocks. We have Hal, Reid and Gipson so safety isn't the priority it was earlier.

Thoughts? Was the trade down out of the first worth it?
Old 04-05-2019, 07:41 AM
All-Pro

Andre Hal retired suddenly this week so that may affect the team's perception of need.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:58 PM
All-Pro

It certainly changes mine. Shame. He was a good one.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:14 PM
All-Pro

Default CBS Aggregate With Trades (4/6)

I made one major difference. I normally choose the "classic" difficulty setting but, today, I used the "difficult" setting. What it says is that good players don't fall as far and trades will be harder to make. Well, we'll see. I could not do my normal swap of 2-23 to the Cowboys for 2-26 and 4-26 but I was still able to craft a deal with the Evil Patriots:

TRADE PARTNER:
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
SENT:

RECEIVED:
ROUND: 4 PICK: 32

I still got the guy I wanted at 2-23 and added a pick in the fourth.

When it was time for my third-round pick, I wasn't fond of the options and Atlanta showed up with a nice offer:

TRADE PARTNER:
ATLANTA FALCONS
SENT:
ROUND: 3 PICK: 22

RECEIVED:
ROUND: 4 PICK: 15
ROUND: 4 PICK: 35
ROUND: 5 PICK: 14
ROUND: 7 PICK: 16

Now I had an abundance of fourth-round picks so I traded back up. I started at 4-1 and kept going until the computer accepted the offer:

TRADE PARTNER:
CINCINNATI BENGALS
SENT:
ROUND: 4 PICK: 15
ROUND: 5 PICK: 14

RECEIVED:
ROUND: 4 PICK: 8

So this left me with a first, two seconds, no thirds, three fourths, a fifth, a sixth and two sevenths. Here's who I selected:

23: R1P23 OT ANDRE DILLARD, WASHINGTON ST.

Considered the best pure LT in the draft. Still needs work on technique.

54: R2P22 G MICHAEL DEITER, WISCONSIN

G/T guy who will fill in the side that Rankin doesn't.

64: R2P32 CB TRAYVON MULLEN, CLEMSON

Should be a great addition.

110: R4P8 DL DAYLON MACK, TEXAS A&M

I love this wide-body to anchor the middle.

134: R4P32 RB BENNY SNELL, KENTUCKY

As mentioned before, three-down feature back at Kentucky.

137: R4P35 WR HUNTER RENFROW, CLEMSON

As mentioned before, has chemistry with Watson from college days.

161: R5P23 S MARVELL TELL III, USC

Not a ballhawk but a thumper.

195: R6P22 EDGE LANDIS DURHAM, TEXAS A&M

Pass-rushing OLB who lost most of last season to injury.

220: R7P6 LB GARY JOHNSON, TEXAS

As previously discussed, smallish ILB who is a big hitter.

230: R7P16 QB BRETT RYPIEN, BOISE ST.

After signing McCarron and Webb, I figure we don't need another QB but when this guy is still around in the seventh, he needed to be taken. Son of former Redskins QB with big arm who can be developed.

So, it looks like the difficult setting wasn't as difficult as I thought.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:47 PM
All-Pro

23: R1P23 OT ANDRE DILLARD WASHINGTON ST IMO you can teach run blocking
54: R2P22 C ERIK MCCOY TEXAS A&M Not that i have to have a OC but he can push Martin and One of those two can become an OG
55: R2P23 CB AMANI ORUWARIYE PENN STATE
86: R3P22 CB ROCK YA-SIN TEMPLE Two CBs cause they need depth at CB, and youth.
161: R5P23 RB DEXTER WILLIAMS NOTRE DAME Need someone to become the new Blue
195: R6P22 WR HUNTER RENFROW CLEMSON D4 knows the kid and he appears to be a big game player
220: R7P6 S MALIK GANT MARSHALL depth since Hal retired
Old 04-14-2019, 08:45 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
23: R1P23 OT ANDRE DILLARD WASHINGTON ST IMO you can teach run blocking
54: R2P22 C ERIK MCCOY TEXAS A&M Not that i have to have a OC but he can push Martin and One of those two can become an OG
55: R2P23 CB AMANI ORUWARIYE PENN STATE
86: R3P22 CB ROCK YA-SIN TEMPLE Two CBs cause they need depth at CB, and youth.
161: R5P23 RB DEXTER WILLIAMS NOTRE DAME Need someone to become the new Blue
195: R6P22 WR HUNTER RENFROW CLEMSON D4 knows the kid and he appears to be a big game player
220: R7P6 S MALIK GANT MARSHALL depth since Hal retired
I would be thrilled. Hard to imagine Ya-Sin falling all the way to the lower third-round but this is otherwise a plausible draft.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:11 PM
All-Pro

Ok I played trade down and get lots of picks. IMO I have to many picks.
First the trades

TRADE PARTNER:
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
TEXANS SENT:

RECEIVED:

ROUND: 3 PICK: 33
ROUND: 3 PICK: 37

TRADE PARTNER:
LA RAMS
TEXANS SENT:

RECEIVED:

ROUND: 3 PICK: 30
ROUND: 3 PICK: 35
ROUND: 4 PICK: 31
ROUND: 5 PICK: 31
ROUND: 6 PICK: 30
ROUND: 7 PICK: 37

Picks

54: R2P22 S JOHNATHAN ABRAM MISS. STATE
55: R2P23 CB JULIAN LOVE NOTRE DAME
64: R2P32 C ELGTON JENKINS MISS. STATE
86: R3P22 CB ISAIAH JOHNSON HOUSTON
94: R3P30 G CONNOR MCGOVERN PENN ST.
97: R3P33 RB DARRELL HENDERSON MEMPHIS
99: R3P35 OT DENNIS DALEY SOUTH CAROLINA
101: R3P37 DL ANTHONY NELSON IOWA
133: R4P31 WR JALEN HURD BAYLOR
161: R5P23 RB BRYCE LOVE STANFORD
169: R5P31 EDGE SHAREEF MILLER PENN ST.
195: R6P22 LB JOE GILES-HARRIS DUKE
203: R6P30 QB GARDNER MINSHEW WASHINGTON STATE
220: R7P6 CB JAMAL PETERS MISS. STATE
251: R7P37 TE CJ CONRAD KENTUCKY

Way to many picks, no way the team can keep 2/3 of the picks. The OTs were gone by the 54th pick, Had to reach for a guy at 99. So I don't like the deep drop trade down, early 2nd might be a better place. I could have traded back up but wanted to see the mock play out.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:28 AM
All-Pro

Another attempt.

23: R1P23 OT KALEB MCGARY WASHINGTON
54: R2P22 OT YODNY CAJUSTE WEST VIRGINIA
55: R2P23 CB AMANI ORUWARIYE PENN ST.
86: R3P22 CB ISAIAH JOHNSON HOUSTON
161: R5P23 TE ISAAC NAUTA GEORGIA
195: R6P22 G NATE HERBIG STANFORD
220: R7P6 S MALIK GANT MARSHALL

Two big OT might have growing pains but they can push each other. McGary is a big man, and Cajuste is a very strong handed man.
Got two CB, not a fast draft class and was not impressed at the combine with the class of CB, so I took two back to back cause i need young numbers.

I will consider the Texans draft a success if they get 2OL and 2CB in the first 5 picks. They don't have to take the guys I have picked just get some numbers and coach them up.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:08 AM
All-Pro

Default Would this Fix OL?

23: R1P23 OT ANDRE DILLARD WASHINGTON STATE
54: R2P22 OT TYTUS HOWARD ALABAMA STATE
55: R2P23 CB ROCK YA-SIN TEMPLE
86: R3P22 OT YODNY CAJUSTE WEST VIRGINIA
161: R5P23 CB LONNIE JOHNSON KENTUCKY
195: R6P22 RB JAMES WILLIAMS WASHINGTON STATE
220: R7P6 WR DAVID SILLS WVU

3 of the the first 4 picks on OTs? Why? by 2020 the OL could be Dillard at LT, Ranking at LG, Martin at OC, Cajuste at RG, Howard at RT. Then BOB and Devlin will have the size and youth they need. Plus that would be 4 OL starters playing on rookie deals.

Not saying I want them to do this, but our greatest asset is Watson, and they need to get him some beef up front that can stop the pounding. Look at the difference a great draft had on the Colts OL, could we have a similar type jump with our offense?

I know we need DBs, but IMO having 3 stud CBs on the field will not matter if Watson is taking a pounding and Bill is going max protect on every play. Give Watson time and a clean middle of the pocket and look out AFC.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:33 AM
Regular Starter

I'm seeing more and more mocks with Dillard going around 15-18...and Rock Ya-Sin is gaining a lot of ground and could be one of the 1st CBs taken. Casserly, of all people, has had him in the 1st all draft season long and now everyone else is starting to agree.

If you were the Texans and liked a guy like Dillard, would you be willing to give up one of your 2nds to move up to the mid-teens to draft him?

Its a little too steep for me. I don't think I would do it.

I think I would rather stay put or trade back a little and take one of the OGs or Greg Little.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:46 PM
Regular Starter

Related to my post above...I just did a mock and traded back with GB when Hockenson fell to me but all the 1st rd OTs were gone. I was only able to get a 4th and 7th from GB to trade back 7 slots...should have been more...

30: R1P30 G CHRIS LINDSTROM BOSTON COLLEGE
54: R2P22 OT GREG LITTLE OLE MISS
55: R2P23 CB JULIAN LOVE NOTRE DAME
86: R3P22 CB AMANI ORUWARIYE PENN STATE
114: R4P12 RB DARRELL HENDERSON MEMPHIS
161: R5P23 LB CAMERON SMITH USC
195: R6P22 WR HUNTER RENFROW CLEMSON
220: R7P6 DL MICHAEL DOGBE TEMPLE
226: R7P12 S EVAN WORTHINGTON COLORADO

TRADE PARTNER:
GREEN BAY PACKERS
SENT:
RECEIVED:
ROUND: 1 PICK: 30
ROUND: 4 PICK: 12
ROUND: 7 PICK: 12
Old 04-23-2019, 01:01 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
If you were the Texans and liked a guy like Dillard, would you be willing to give up one of your 2nds to move up to the mid-teens to draft him?

Its a little too steep for me. I don't think I would do it.
I almost think I would be willing to Trade Up. But only if they think he is a future All Pro. There are about three guys after Dillard, that I think can be good starters in the next couple years. Not great, but good.

But I am more inclined to want one or two more picks, so a trade down would be preferred. But I want to stay in the 1st round.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:53 AM
Regular Starter

According to the draft trade chart I usually use (http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp), this trade would be fair...

Texans send #23 and #55 (1,110 pts) to Carolina for #16 and #100 (1,100 pts).

I think I would pull the trigger on that...assuming the guy at #16 is going to be an impact player for years to come.

---

I tried the above trade with Carolina, but they wouldn't send me pick #100. They did make the trade sending me their 4th rounder along with #16 (1,064 pts total). This is how the first 4 rounds went...

16: R1P16 OT ANDRE DILLARD WASHINGTON STATE (Jawaan Taylor also was there and Carolina took him at 23...LOL)
54: R2P22 CB ROCK YA-SIN TEMPLE
86: R3P22 OT TYTUS HOWARD ALABAMA STATE
115: R4P13 RB MILES SANDERS PENN STATE

TRADES
TRADE PARTNER:
CAROLINA PANTHERS
SENT:
RECEIVED:
ROUND: 1 PICK: 16
ROUND: 4 PICK: 13

---

Edited to add: I tried it again and was able to get them to include their 6th rounder as well...