IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Regular Starter

Default Quinn Gray

Just heard on Sirius that we released Quinn Gray and Jordan Black.

Black doesnt suprise me, but Gray does. I figured we would keep him over Boyd this season. This could mean that we only carry 2 QB's on the roster and 1 on the PS.

Some of this could be to free up cap space in order to sign Colvin also.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Chron.com reports the same:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5826910.html
Old 06-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2008/20080609.html

I'm surprised. I wonder if the Titans, Colts, or even the Jags might be curious to add Gray to their rosters.

This should mean good things for Shane Boyd at least.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Hall of Fame

Kubiak said about Gray on the radio (paraphrasing): "When a guy has no chance to make the team, I like to let him go so he can sign up with somebody else".

Sounds like they are happy with the skills of Boyd and Brink (or perhaps their smaller contracts)....
Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Regular Starter

I heard this.....right before I got on an airplane, and it confused me as well. I really think there was a draft day deal for Rosey that fell through. They gave Quinny a looksie in OTA'a and then decided to let him go. Kubiak seems real worried about the 80 man limit for training camp without any NFLE exemptions...I think that played a part as well. He's probably not quite broke of his 3 QB habit and decided it would be better to let Brink and boyd battle it out. I think the idea is that Brink will be the project when it is all said and done....although they could put brink to the PS and let Boyd be the #3.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
I really think there was a draft day deal for Rosey that fell through. They gave Quinny a looksie in OTA'a and then decided to let him go.
I'm wondering how much Gray thought the Texans were close to dealing Sage, too. I doubted that Gray would sign here to be the #3, and maybe once the trade of Sage fell through, he wasn't quite as motivated as when he thought he might be the #2.

Just speculation on my part, but Gray's signing and release are too close for us to just accept that he didn't "fit".

I'm curious to see where Gray might go next. I'm sure he'd be looking for a place where he could seriously challenge to be the #2, something that wouldn't happen in Houston with Sage still on the roster. Places that jump to mind for me are Buffalo, Minnesota, and New Orleans. As I alluded to earlier, a couple AFC South destinations would be interesting, particularly Tennessee and Indy. Since the Jags signed Cleo Lemon, I'm not sure Gray would have interest in returning to Jacksonville, but stranger things have happened.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:19 AM
Regular Starter

i just wonder what the deal was on draft day...
Old 06-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Drafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
i just wonder what the deal was on draft day...
The 80 man limit may mean that there will be some players available from other teams that may be worth a look. The Texans may be positioning themselves.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Regular Starter

They still have 3-4 more cuts to make just to get to the 80, although this is taking into consideration all unsigned rookies signing by TC.

KJ3 I dont think that Gray would slack off just because he was set at 3 and fighting for a 2. You dont make it in the NFL with that mentality. Especially not a QB.

I am with you about the "fit" comment though. That would be some piss poor scouting IMO. Especially since they had plenty of NFL tape on the guy.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeg View Post
The 80 man limit may mean that there will be some players available from other teams that may be worth a look. The Texans may be positioning themselves.
ah, quite possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
KJ3 I dont think that Gray would slack off just because he was set at 3 and fighting for a 2. You dont make it in the NFL with that mentality. Especially not a QB.

I am with you about the "fit" comment though. That would be some piss poor scouting IMO. Especially since they had plenty of NFL tape on the guy.
i think you're talking to keith but i agree with you.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Pro Bowler

I think a lot of teams are having trouble adjusting to that 80 man roster limit going into training camp.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:00 PM
All-Pro

This is shocking. A lot doesn't add up here. The most compelling scenario is that Quinn was told he'd be the backup as soon as they traded Sage. But then they didn't trade Sage. So either a) Gray made himself look bad so he could get cut b) went to the Texans and demanded to be let out of his contract or c) the Texans saw no need to pay him that sort of coin to be the third-stringer and the "fit" they are referring to is their salary structure, not his on-field abilities.

There is one way it makes sense. I've often wondered whether Jacksonville's offense just isn't very sophisticated and perhaps Gray was overwhelmed by the playbook when he got here and just couldn't adjust to it. J-Ville's playbook has often struck me as being rather basic and they just expect the talent to make it work. It might explain why they have so many players who don't live up to their potential (see their #1 receivers) while others come from nowhere and play great.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:57 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
There is one way it makes sense. I've often wondered whether Jacksonville's offense just isn't very sophisticated and perhaps Gray was overwhelmed by the playbook when he got here and just couldn't adjust to it. J-Ville's playbook has often struck me as being rather basic and they just expect the talent to make it work. It might explain why they have so many players who don't live up to their potential (see their #1 receivers) while others come from nowhere and play great.
I thought he signed for veteran minimum? #3 type money, not even close to #2 money. But I've been wrong before...
Old 06-10-2008, 08:36 PM
All-Pro

Yes, you are right but the vet minimum may be tied into years with the league so a guy with less years might have a lower vet minimum. I don't know.

That's another reason I find this so curious. He wasn't costing them much many.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
\I've often wondered whether Jacksonville's offense just isn't very sophisticated and perhaps Gray was overwhelmed by the playbook when he got here and just couldn't adjust to it. J-Ville's playbook has often struck me as being rather basic and they just expect the talent to make it work. It might explain why they have so many players who don't live up to their potential (see their #1 receivers) while others come from nowhere and play great.
That's an interesting theory. J-ville has always seemed to me a pretty basic offene in the sense that they wanted to run the ball, run it some more, and then run it again. I don't know that I have ever really paid attention to the sophistication of their passing game. I've always attributed it to just bad picks at the WR spot. Let's face it Matt Jones wasn't the safest pick in the book. It does make sense that they have a fairly basic passing attack. A helathy Fred Taylor and Jones-Drew can definitely open up the passing game.

Much like anything else I'm sure it was a combination of things. I still think that high on the list was the idea of trading Rosey not working out, next was probably an unhappy Grey. He went into this offseason thinking that he would have the chance to possibly compete for a starting gig. When that didn't happen, and he couldn't even lock down a relatively lucrative backup spot, I have to think the decision for Houston was made because he assumed he would be the de facto back up once Rosey was traded.....and playing behind a guy who had problems staying on the field last year. Guys like Boyd and Brink are cheaper, but in the grand scheme of things Gray wasn't expensive...I'm sure that played a part, but if I was to take a guess I would say that was down towards the bottom of the list.

You do have me thinking about what type of offense is j-ville really running....there must be a reason someone who was as succesfull as Gray was filling in last year didn't generate more interest. Robb Johnson and our own Matt Schaub come to mind as QB's who were able to turn a few standout games into huge deals/contracts....maybe you are on to something Bob.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Hall of Fame

According to McClain, it only cost them the $40k signing bonus to let him (Gray) go...
Old 06-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Regular Starter

hey bob, kubiak was quoted saying something to the extent of "i don't like keeping vets who have a shot elsewhere and no shot here" so i don't think gray had to make himself look bad. maybe Q did talk to kubiak about letting him go...but...kubiak was certainly willing to oblige.

i think he had to have been the backup plan for the backup plan.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Pro Bowler

All I can think of is, somewhere in that fertile mind of Rick Smith, there is a plan. We will know in due time.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Regular Starter

I think that behind this whole Gray episode there's a fascinating story, but i really doubt if it will ever be told. The only people who may know the truth are Gray, his agent, Kubiak, Smith, Shannahan, and possibly McNair.

From what I saw from Gray in the Texans game last year, he has a very strong arm, seems to have at least average accuracy, and is very tough to bring down. Those are normally the ingredients for a good NFL QB. Which means something else must be missing: either on-field judgement or off-the-field attitude. Coming into OTA's overweight and out of shape points toward the latter being at least part of the problem, but I guess we'll never know. All in all, a strange story.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Regular Starter

The take on Grey from J-vill fans is that he is arrogant, hard to teach and a putz in the locker room. Any one of those things probably wouldn't set very well with Kubes. I suspect that Grey was the plan "B" fall back if they got the offer for Sage that they would have to take. They didn't, the young kids look fairly good, so he is gone.