IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2009, 04:20 PM
All-Pro

Default Disappointment

This season is probably the end of the line for me. I've threatened this before and cried wolf. This year I think I might have to totally abandon ship.

I've been pretty silent around here on the new site. Frankly, I felt quite betrayed by Sweeney's cowardly and whipped decision to pull the plug on the old site without giving someone else the chance to keep it going. We had a good community over there I think, far better than the monkey cages at all the other Texans sites. So I was pretty disheartened to learn that Ric would turn his back on the contributions that everyone had made to the site and simply act like they didn't mean anything. Perhaps he issued an explanation. I never saw one. I was pleased and not surprised that a stand-up guy like Keith would take over but for me it was never the same.

And the team. They are terrible, of course. They always have been and they will be for the foreseeable future. Eight years in and they still have a clueless coaching staff. And no running game and no pass protection (did they not know that Rex Ryan was going to blitz???) and no sacks and two passed to Andre Johnson for 12 yards or whatever it was, barely more than Kevin Walter. And honestly I got tired of being the dark cloud following everyone around like you'd see in a cartoon strip. I say David Carr sucks and lots of people say NO. I say this year's team sucks and lots of people say IT'S JUST PRESEASON. Well, if you can't f'king run the ball in preseason then how are you going to run the ball in the regular season, particularly against an opposing coach who isn't a mouthbreathing moron unable to process more than one thought at a time?

But beyond any of that the thing that has finally driven me over the edge is the stadium experience. I didn't make it to either of the preseason games so I was surprised by what I saw today. Less what I saw and more what I didn't see, actually. To those of you who never attend games at Reliant (Hi Bob!) this is going to sound incredibly picayune. But believe me, it is not. The in-game stats used to be displayed constantly on one panel of the end zone scoreboard. You know, yards amassed by each team passing, rushing, time of possession, first downs, etc. Basic stuff. Now, in place of that useful information I get to view an ad for HEB. Furthermore, the band of media available directly above the mezzanine used to show prominently a rotating scroll of out of town game scores. You could easily keep track of the action around the league. No more. Now you can easily keep track of the brands of three or four advertisers.

I am completely disgusted by this, more so than by the team's play. The Texans are telling me, an interested fan, that I do not merit receiving the information that I require to enjoy fully the game day experience. And perhaps they know what they are doing. Perhaps they know that the stadium is filled with fat idiots who are there to eat and jump around when some fool shoots t-shits into the crowd. Maybe they understand their demographic.

But they don't understand me, obviously. Tomorrow I am going to phone Jamey Rootes and tell him that unless they restore the statistical information and the out of town scores THIS SEASON I will not renew my season tickets regardless of whether the team goes 15-1 or 0-16. I have been a season ticket holder and PSL owner since day one.

I'll return to let everyone know if he takes my call and, if so, what his response is. But I am naive. I expected the Texans to win today's game. And I also expect to get Mr. Rootes on the phone. We'll see.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Regular Starter

I imagine that if you could speak to Mr. Rootes, which you won't, he'd tell you that there is a board with game scores on it. Maybe you were looking in the wrong spot and didn't see it; maybe they moved it (I was a season ticket holder for the past two seasons, but I couldn't tell you where it was then or now, even after being there only 6 hours ago); but I can promise you it is there, because I made much use of it this afternoon.

I don't know about the stats board, I don't recall seeing it this afternoon, but I know they still show scores.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Regular Starter

I saw the stats board. I sit in the south end zone and looking north, it was on the lefthand side, way up high. I recall looking at the end of the first Q and noticed the Jets had the rock for 10:01 and us for 4:59. I saw the stats intermittently throughout the game, and each time I had a small tear in the corner of my eye. If I still teared the way I did pre-lasik, I would have cried buckets.

NFL stats were harder to find, I saw them finally in the second half, they were in the corners of the small boards that are under the first section of suites. They had out of town scores, but no stats of the scoring from those games.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:01 PM
All-Pro

Not a season ticket holder so I do not have a comment on that stuff.

But why am I fan? I followed the Oilers through good and bad years, and had my heart broken by Bud and his finger when he moved to the east.

I have watched the Texans go from a decent team their 1st year to a bunch of softies.

The head coach I wanted them to hire just embarrassed them with a rookie QB.

Our "star" player do not get it, they have not won yet, so they should not be paid. Who was it Harmon Killebrew who wanted more money and we into the owners office to demand better pay for himself. The owner told him, the team is in last place with you in the lineup, I can save the money and still be in last.

I want this team to win for Chester, and Andre, but I not sure we can.

One last history lesson, and NBT can back me up on this, In 1993 the Oiler where supposed to win easily, and they start off 1 and 4. The fans booed and dropped like flies. What happened next? 12 game win streak. Now I am not saying we have a team good enough for that, but stranger things have happened.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Chuck,

Excellent comments.

The lack of a readable stats board annoyed the hell out of me, too. Even more annoying was the displaying of advertisements in the locations where they used to have the out-of-town scoreboard. They did this during timeouts! The only time you could actually look at out-of-town scores was between plays. When you actually had time to check the scoreboard they put ads there. It was outrageous and it drove me absolutely nuts.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:52 PM
All-Pro

You may have heard about this thing called a r-e-c-e-s-s-i-o-n. The Texans are probably scrambling to sell ads after some companies bailed, just like the Astros and Rockets have had to do. Be glad McNair resisted the temptation to have Chik-Fil-A Fowl Uprights on the goalposts.

So, it is likely that they've had to sell more ads to get back some of the money lost to bigger sponsors (like car companies, maybe?). If/when the economy heals, I'm guessing they'll return some amenities to their former levels.

Chcuk, have you considered buying the ad space and putting out of town scores on it with a periodic ad for your company?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Regular Starter

Nice post Chuck, as usual.

So it's all about the money huh? Well, I've decided to mail McNair a letter from an out of state fan and suggest he pull the plug on the traditional ran team.

Screw the name brand players and coaches. We got SMOKED by the Jets at home. That being the case, fire Koobs and hire a coach from Baytown Lee or Bellaire. Trade down every single draft pick and build a different type of team...real blue collar. Make a name for yourself as a player and go somewhere else to get paid...

Somewhat similar to the hated Steelers.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post

The head coach I wanted them to hire just embarrassed them with a rookie QB.

I want this team to win for Chester, and Andre, but I not sure we can.

One last history lesson, and NBT can back me up on this, In 1993 the Oiler where supposed to win easily, and they start off 1 and 4. The fans booed and dropped like flies. What happened next? 12 game win streak. Now I am not saying we have a team good enough for that, but stranger things have happened.
Agreed PK! The Oilers & now the Texans build us up only to send us crashing down (like the Astros do, but they'er another story) to the very depths. Will the Texans bounce back like the Oilers of old did? Maybe - Maybe not, but the disturbing thing to me now is how easily a team that throws it in your face, can so intimidate a Kubiak led team. Baltimore did it last year, so did Pgh, just to name two. And now we can add the Jets with Ryan the head man.

The worst NFL game the Texans have ever played according to John Mc
Clain. Where was Frank Bush's attacking defense? I sure didn't see many blitzes, and when I did they were telephoned in without any thought put to them what-so-ever! Schaub and the offense never scored a point, and just barely got across the 50 yard line. How can Kubiak expect his team to react to a game that poorly coached? If I were McNair, I would have my feelers out for a tough minded coach that wants to be a head coach.

Last edited by NBT; 09-28-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:31 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Chcuk, have you considered buying the ad space and putting out of town scores on it with a periodic ad for your company?
Bbo, outstanding idea. I'll discuss this with the Texans brass tomorrow. We need a snappy tagline, though, something like, ChuckCo - we build content management systems that you can't see for web sites that you probably don't visit, and we build document management systems that you can't see for sites that I know damn well you can't visit. And we have the best store locator tool in the market. Dot com.

Though that's longer than 'HEB, Why the Hell Not? You're Already Fat.'

The good news is that the Texans' offensive numbers should leave plenty of room for my message. You have to look on the bright side is what I always say.

The stadium experience to me used to be about football with a healthy dose of commerce. I can handle that. Now it seems - again, to me - that it is about commerce with a healthy dose of football. If so, this is where I get off the train.

I left a message this morning for Mr Rootes with his 'assistant.' I had a million calls to make this morning and this afternoon and will be able to be more diligent in tracking him down tomorrow.

By the way, tonight I have watched three teams that are on the Texans' schedule, and based on what I saw yesterday and what I am seeing today I cannot find a single one of the three that would not thrash the living frook out of the Texans today, tomorrow, next week, next month, etc.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Regular Starter

Dot com!

One more thing my little letter of 'insanity ran football' will include. Based on how poorly the new team will perform for a time period of about 4 years, the new front office will have already done its' homework and begin to run the stadium just like ah Japanese baseball stadium.

Going to the stadium should be both entertaining AND affordable for the fan base.

Our current system is neither both. And to add insult to our injury, the players are actually demanding higher rates of pay and with what results? Just see my signature below.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Pro Bowler

Maybe they need the extra revenue to sign Kubiak and his merry band of no-name coordinators to huge contract extensions. Either that or the next flop free agent... Oh well, I'm sure they're using it to improve the team and continue their march towards mediocrity.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 AM
All-Pro

I felt the run defense did a fine job but that the pass defense was terrible which shouldn't be a shock because the organization refuses to get serious about fixing the secondary.

Now, the offense was a different story. The line looked terrible, wasn't opening holes, wasn't giving Schaub time to throw.

At this point, I'm willing to say it was one game and a bad start but if Alex Gibbs can't fix the problem then we need an overhaul of the line.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:46 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I felt the run defense did a fine job but that the pass defense was terrible which shouldn't be a shock because the organization refuses to get serious about fixing the secondary.

Now, the offense was a different story. The line looked terrible, wasn't opening holes, wasn't giving Schaub time to throw.

At this point, I'm willing to say it was one game and a bad start but if Alex Gibbs can't fix the problem then we need an overhaul of the line.
The safeties are terrible and always have been (with the lone exception of, what was his name, McCree?) but I'll tell you that I have high hopes for all of the young corners on this team, Molden, Quinn, McCain, from what I've seen I think these guys can play. Of course their inexperience will get exposed. We've already seen that. But I really believe that the team has addressed the corner issue pretty effectively.

To me the interior OL is at least as large a problem as the lack of safeties who can contribute anything. I don't know whether Caldwell and Studdard are long term answers or indeed any answer at all, but it's evident to me that when the Texans play teams with talented and aggressive NTs they are going to have to radically redesign their protection schemes and keep someone bigger and better than Slaton back there to protect. They have seven TEs on the roster, maybe they can find a pair who want to block someone and use two TE sets for short passing plays in order to keep the opposing team's blitzing in check a bit.

I spoke with Mr Rootes' assistant just now and it seems pretty likely that I'll get a call back.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

I'm with you on the out of town scores. I would be less p.o.'d about it though if they would sell those kangaroo tv's again.

And the new ads are bad, but what's worse is they're soooooo bright. It was less of an issue in Sunday's afternoon affair, but it was a distraction during the night games of the preseason. I've been waiting for a player or coach to let a complaint slip about it, but nothing yet.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:35 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'm with you on the out of town scores. I would be less p.o.'d about it though if they would sell those kangaroo tv's again.

And the new ads are bad, but what's worse is they're soooooo bright. It was less of an issue in Sunday's afternoon affair, but it was a distraction during the night games of the preseason. I've been waiting for a player or coach to let a complaint slip about it, but nothing yet.
Most anyone can follow out of town scores and the in-game stats on their phone, but as I've said I'm upset by what the team is telling me by not displaying football-related information in a prominent way inside the stadium. It's as if they expect anyone not sitting in club level not to care about the game one way or another. I go to the games to watch the game in person, not to be assaulted by a relentless and inescapable barrage of advertisements.

And yes, the band of ads above the mezzanine is indeed very, very bright. Keith, I'm surprised that it bothers you too terribly because your angle of vision should be below the ads in question.

I did receive a return call. Not from Mr Rootes who is obviously fantastically busy running a highly successful professional sports franchise but from one of his flunkies. She politely listened to my comments and ensured that she would share them with all involved. I asked her if she attends the games. I work them, she said. Have you noticed a difference in the signage from last year to this? I wasn't here last year. OK, look, at the next home game please make a point to watch what I'm describing and judge for yourself if the information displayed is adequate for those who are interested.

She promised she would phone me the Monday after the Jags game with her comments.

I have had the good fortune to visit many, many stadiums around the world. The only stadium I can think of that offered less in-game information was the new basketball arena in San Antonio, SBC or whatever it's called. I attended a game there in its second year or so and for all I know things have changed but I vividly remember being astounded at how little in-game information was available.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Most anyone can follow out of town scores and the in-game stats on their phone, but as I've said I'm upset by what the team is telling me by not displaying football-related information in a prominent way inside the stadium.
Actually, it's hell to get any kind of 3g network access for me in Reliant. Enough so that the out-of-town scoreboard actually had some value.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Regular Starter

I have not been able to get scores either inside Reliant. Maybe that will change with the roof open.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:12 PM
All-Pro

Just to follow up on this idiocy - those of you who are season ticket holders will have received a message last week that said:

"In Game Stats

You may have noticed that we moved our closed captioning display to the scoreboard adjacent to the large video board on the north and south ends of the stadium. We feel this is the best spot for the hearing impaired community to not only be able to see the captioning but also the corresponding video board. The display that is now being used for closed captioning was used previously for in game stats (yards rushing/passing, first downs, time of possession, etc). In game stats can now be found:

a. On the lower ring of LED signage on both the east and west side of the stadium

b. On the main video board several times per quarter

c. Adjacent to the main video board during all time outs as a replacement of the score, down and distance information"

Despite the explanation of where the information might be (I already knew this) I found the availability of the signage at the game to be completely unacceptable. Moreover, the out of town scores are NOT displayed during time outs when the attentive fan would be looking for them but only during game-time action.

These idiots are intent on putting a substandard product on the field for an entire decade AND they are intent on creating an in-game experience that irritates longtime PSL owners to the point where we will not renew our tickets.

As I've indicated I was promised a call tomorrow by some lackey who was not with the team last year. I'll let everyone know if I get such a call. I'll also send a registered letter to Bob McNair, the leader of this billion dollar disaster, and his chief lapdog Jamey Rootes that will explicitly enumerate my in-game grievances and plainly outline the conditions under which I will renew my season tickets. I would think that the team would be sensitive to a committed fan such as myself who in reality wishes to renew his tickets. But the truth is I am totally willing to dismiss the team altogether and loudly publicize why I am doing so if it comes to that.

How many others here are season ticket holders? How many of that group are PSL owners?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
How many others here are season ticket holders? How many of that group are PSL owners?
I am, and would be willing to sign on to a campaign to reverse the current signage in the stadium. It sucks. It's not necessary. And it's salt in the wounds of a piss-poor product on the field.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Regular Starter

I am a season ticket holder and PSL holder. I can't help it, I think I secretly enjoy the torture. In years past, I was raised on an expansion hockey team, the New York Islanders, and went through the lowest of lows. When they finally won the Stanley Cup, it was pure elation. I want to experience that with the Texans, and be in my seat at Reliant when it happens.