IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 01-16-2021, 07:58 PM
All-Pro

That idiot isn’t filing a lawsuit against anybody, and he’s obviously lying about the death threats.

I didn’t think Cal would be any sort of improvement over his father, regardless of how low a bar he set, and I correctly assumed he was stupid, but I did not allow for the possibility that he might be insane.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:27 AM
All-Pro

Could someone provide the quick version on Easterby's alleged misconduct? I missed it with my other battles.

As for the "Dusty Baker" to calm the locker room, you mean to say Romeo doesn't do that already?
Old 01-17-2021, 01:50 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Could someone provide the quick version on Easterby's alleged misconduct? I missed it with my other battles.

As for the "Dusty Baker" to calm the locker room, you mean to say Romeo doesn't do that already?
Regarding the first question, there has been talk about required Bible study/prayer times...keyword being "required". This is where some of the "too many people think they are in charge" statement came from. Why can JE force me to be somewhere if he isn't my coach?

Regarding the second question, they are interviewing Frazier today. I have not heard anything about Romeo, but I would not be surprised if he retires. I have been told that the longer this goes on, more people (including my friend) will just leave.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:37 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I don't understand why the league would get involved. What's their concern? The Texans have always had some know nothing snake oil huckster with the ear of the owner. The organization usually awards that person the title "General Manager." So I don't see what the big deal is that the team chaplain is running the football org.
Besides the issues about religion in the workplace, there is also the fact that there were two search processes -- the one where Cal and Easterby hired Caserio (without, I think, even a formal interview unless you count when they flew up and offered him the job), and the one where Cal, Jamey Rootes, and Jed Hughes interviewed the other "candidates," which included the interviews that made the Texans compliant with the Rooney Rule. So in the first hiring cycle after the NFL revised the Rooney Rule, the NFL could look into whether the sham interview process was really a good-faith effort to comply.

The league "stepping in" could also just mean Goodell or someone else from the league office sitting down with Cal and trying to help him since he is so clearly in over his head and seems to have no clue what's going on. Having an owner look so completely inept isn't in the NFL's best interest.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:49 PM
All-Pro

Yeah, I can see where his total ineptitude would be a bad look for the league. Although there are several other serially inept owners.

I hadn’t appreciated that Easterby’s zealotry had become a workplace issue, but if he’s trying to make players attend prayer sessions, obviously it has. I mean, that’s just absolutely egregious.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:14 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
A former team chaplain turned “character coach” in New England and now Houston’s executive VP of football operations, Easterby had made a habit of asking coworkers to take his hand and pray for wisdom when making workplace decisions. He often did so with people who reported to him; some felt they had no choice but to oblige, even if this made them uncomfortable.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/te...y-kept-his-job
Old 01-17-2021, 09:50 PM
Regular Starter

Staley to LAC
Dan Campbell to DET

Texans and Eagles are the last 2 with vacancies.

EB, Daboll and Brady still available...

Saw something interesting today where the Texans interviewed Leslie Frazier today and are interviewing David Culley (BALT asst HC/WRs) tomorrow.

Both have history with EB.

Could we really be interviewing EB's future DC and OC?
Old 01-18-2021, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Frazier is already a DC for the Bills. Not sure why he would make what feels like a lateral move? The Bills, in spite of their success this season, are still something of a poverty franchise, so perhaps a pay increase could be involved.

I of course don't know, but talking with guys who worked with Bieniemy previously almost seems as much like they are checking with Bieniemy's references.

The league is allowing the teams (notably the Texans and Eagles) to speak with candidates still coaching their current teams in the playoffs, so the Texans will talk with Bieniemy today per reports. Maybe this is the league's version of stepping in?
Old 01-21-2021, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Eagles have hired a head coach, leaving the Texans opening as the last one to be filled. So the first one to be opened will be the last one filled.

Assuming they fill it... never know with this franchise. Ya know they didn't really find a GM after Brian Gaine until Caserio was hired two weeks ago.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:48 PM
All-Pro

Maybe the Oilers can now hire Bienemy so the league can save face since every liberal sports journalist thinks racism is the ONLY possible reason Bienemy hasn't been hired yet. Watson is already on record that he wants Bienemy. Frankly, if he can turn around the Oilers, Bienemy deserves every plaudit he gets.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Texans announce they've interviewed BACKUP QB Josh McCown for head coach and re-interviewed Jim Caldwell (his first though since Caserio was hired).

Caldwell is a Dungy guy, and Dungy was part of Cal's advisor group, however informal that group may have been. He took over a very good Colts team from Dungy and led it to the Super Bowl, losing to the Saints. It was Peyton's team though; once Manning wasn't playing, the Colts sucked, and Caldwell was fired.

Caldwell then was part of a Ravens Super Bowl staff before becoming the Lions HC. Spent 4 seasons there and left with a winning record.

McCown has spent some time between NFL gigs helping coach at the HS level for many years. Well respected, from Texas and played collegiately at SMU and Sam. Has involvement with FCA and related church groups, which probably makes him a candidate for Easterby.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:44 PM
All-Pro

That seems like a bold move, bypass the college ranks altogether and reach down into high school to find you a coach. I wonder if that guy from Katy is interested in an interview. Anyone know where he attends church?
Old 01-22-2021, 05:10 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Maybe the Oilers can now hire Bienemy so the league can save face since every liberal sports journalist thinks racism is the ONLY possible reason Bienemy hasn't been hired yet. Watson is already on record that he wants Bienemy. Frankly, if he can turn around the Oilers, Bienemy deserves every plaudit he gets.
I get annoyed at the constant refrain, but can you come up with another reason he doesn't have a job? The past 2 OCs there both quickly got HC jobs even thought neither called plays either. And obviously there offense has done far better under Bienemy then previous guys. If Kingbury can fail up because he coached Mahomes in college, why doesn't Bienemy get a job for actually succeeding with Mahomes? Why has Bienemy made the same amount of job progress as McCown? Can you come up with another reason why he's not a HC?

I remember a few years ago the refrain was that teams wanted offensive guys and there were no black OCs and that's why they weren't getting HC jobs. Then this year you have black OCs in the top offense (KC) and another top 4 offense (TB) and neither found any of the half dozen jobs.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:52 AM
All-Pro

Personal life
During the 2017 offseason, McCown, his wife Natalie, and their four children moved from Waxhaw, North Carolina to Waxahachie, Texas.[299][300][301][302] He is a Christian.[303] He grew up a Dallas Cowboys fan.[304] His inspiration for wearing No. 12, the jersey number that he wore the majority of his career, comes from Roger Staubach, who also wore No. 12.[305][304][295][39] He was also a fan of Cowboys players Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman. He was a fan of quarterbacks Joe Montana, John Elway, and Randall Cunningham.[68]

McCown is the older brother of former NFL quarterback Luke McCown and younger brother of former Texas A&M quarterback Randy McCown.[306] In 2003, the McCown brothers hosted the first-ever McCown Passing Camp in their hometown of Jacksonville, Texas.[4][307][308][309]

McCown is a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.[68] He has served in Pro Athletes Outreach and Coaches Time Out, which are both ministries.[181] He has also spent time speaking to church youth and men's groups during the offseason.[68]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_McCown
--
Ok here it is. So we know that Tommy Boy is a big-time Jesus freak plus he's very likely a Cowboys fan, you know he's just got that Baby Huey look about him.
But I can see Cal, Easterby, and Josh all holding hands together while they pray for devine guidance on the right path to the SB for the Texans. Yea these Bible pounders really believe that BS works.
McGown is the anti-Bieniemy in practically every way, so in other words just the kind of guy the McNairs are looking for as their next HC.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:12 AM
All-Pro

Ahbee got dang. After all these years nunu finally makes a sensible post.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:31 PM
All-Pro

Wow. Did Hetero Doxy sneak back in? Looks like ignorance, bigotry and intolerance on parade here. I find the direction of this conversation highly insulting on multiple levels.

I don't know Cal, Easterby or Caserio or their personal beliefs and I don't know if I would agree with them but to insult the fundamental beliefs of hundreds of millions of Christians is deeply offensive to me.

I would rather just terminate my account than be subjected to such hatred.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:52 AM
Administrator

Wow, Bob with a member callback to the old HPF days.
Memories...

With Bieniemy headed with the Chiefs to the Super Bowl, silence from the Texans on a coaching hire for a full two weeks would seem deafening. The last to fill their HC opening, I suppose they should be in no rush assuming Bienemy already has a Defensive Coordinator in mind. The Texans are blocking other teams from talking to OC Tim Kelly, which seems to indicate that he isn't leaving.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:02 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Wow, Bob with a member callback to the old HPF days.
Memories...
Ankle-grabbing Bushneck polesmoke trailertrash.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:54 PM
All-Pro

Lackey. Damn it. How could I forget lackey.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:41 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Ankle-grabbing Bushneck polesmoke trailertrash.
You forget... BUSH is on YOUR team now, Bubba! He voted for Hillary AND Bid*n.

He's yours and you can have his RINO traitor Clinton-kissing commie-loving defense contractor cheerleading ass. He and his whole murderous family. Never voting for another Bush ever again or his RINO stooge Cornyn.