IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Other 31 Teams
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2011, 08:34 PM
All-Pro

Default Shaun Rogers to become available

League sources say Cleveland NT Shaun Rogers will be released when the NFL year officially ends. Rogers is a former Longhorn and, IIRC, played at Galveston Ball HS. If Wade is going to switch us to a 3-4, he's a nice building block.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:32 PM
On the Sidelines

Sounds like the perfect fit. He's a big guy with experience and recent success as nose tackle in a 3-4. He's a veteran, so we don't have to worry about a learning curve, like we would with a rookie. And as a bonus, he's from the area, although I hope Kubiak doesn't hold his burnt orange past against him.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:38 PM
All-Pro

6'4'' and 350, 3 pro bowls, 31 years old, a couple dumb incidents in his past, and injured during 2009, didn't fully recover in 2010

I hope he's healthy and we can get him, he'd likely help bigtime for a couple years. Guess he's in town, so maybe Texans are visiting with him.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Pro Bowler

I wouldn't mind Rogers in our neighborhood. Wonder how much it would take to get him?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Teams are probably going to be offloading some expensive talent while they can before a new CBA is agreed upon. Players cut now really won't have any cap ramifications since there was none for 2010.

A smart team with money to spend would be wise to evaluate their options and pick up some talent... NT isn't a position you throw a rookie into and expect immediate success.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:19 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
A smart team
OK, stop right there. Oh. This is in the 31 Other Teams forum. Sorry. Carry on.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
On signing with Houston:

“Like I said it would be most definitely a fairy tale situation, but again you just look forward to exploring all opportunities and hopefully whoever reaches out to me and wherever I go it will most definitely be a positive experience.”
610 AM. It doesn't sound like the Texans are one of the teams that has reached out to him at this point.

Addressing the big hole at NT with a free agent like Rogers would also give the Texans more flexibility in the draft, because they wouldn't have to pick a player to plug into the starting lineup, which, as Keith mentioned, is a risky proposition at best at NT and was a colossal failure of a strategy last year when they tried it at CB.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 PM
All-Pro

After being a Lion and a Brown, I can understand wanting to go to a "positive" situation.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Regular Starter

Signed today with the Saints. 1 year, $4 million. Saw a couple of reports that he was very interested in the Texans (as he's from around here) but they never called.

So, here's a guy at a position of extreme need who expressed interest in the Texans and was willing to sign a short-term, moderately low money/risk contract. Hell, he could have just been camp fodder, if structured properly a la Rosevelt Colvin. As this makes imminent sense on numerous levels, it should be no surprise the Texans gave him the ol' "if nobody calls, it's me" routine.

For the life of me, I can't figure out this organization. Not saying Rogers would have been a difference maker, but how is this guy not even worth a look? I hate this team.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:57 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
For the life of me, I can't figure out this organization. Not saying Rogers would have been a difference maker, but how is this guy not even worth a look? I hate this team.
Have to agree with you on this one...i'm
Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 PM
All-Pro

I heard Rogers said he wanted to play on a 4-3 team and has family in N.O. as well.

But seems we cudda talked to him or his agent atleast.