IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Other 31 Teams
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2015, 01:14 AM
All-Pro

Default Joel Dreesen on Gary Kubiak vs John Fox (w/ video)

http://sportsshow.denverpost.com/201...oach-position/

How come the Kubiak that Dreesen is describing doesn't sound at all like the Kubiak we watched in Houston? I believe the shorter practices part, though. That's how teams show up unprepared.

I know Kubes is a local favorite and most people think he's a great guy. He was Elway's roomie (some would say caddie) for over a decade but I don't forsee him having success in Denver for the same reasons he eventually had to go in Houston. He only knows one system and that system peaked in 1998. The rest of the NFL has caught on to it.

And he can't be of any value on defense. Denver would need to find the perfect DC which was Shanahan's achilles heel. How many great DCs with no head coaching asperations can you find now that Dick LeBeau is retiring?

In the end, I think he gets the job, lasts five years and will never get past the first round of the playoffs.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:06 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
http://sportsshow.denverpost.com/201...oach-position/

How come the Kubiak that Dreesen is describing doesn't sound at all like the Kubiak we watched in Houston? I believe the shorter practices part, though. That's how teams show up unprepared.

I know Kubes is a local favorite and most people think he's a great guy. He was Elway's roomie (some would say caddie) for over a decade but I don't forsee him having success in Denver for the same reasons he eventually had to go in Houston. He only knows one system and that system peaked in 1998. The rest of the NFL has caught on to it.

And he can't be of any value on defense. Denver would need to find the perfect DC which was Shanahan's achilles heel. How many great DCs with no head coaching asperations can you find now that Dick LeBeau is retiring?

In the end, I think he gets the job, lasts five years and will never get past the first round of the playoffs.
You love the idea of his system being passed up schematically.

I am pretty sure I just saw his system carve up the Patriots in Foxboro. I also know his system resulted in career years for basically everyone on the Baltimore offense (except Smith Sr.).

His offense is fine. It is not on the top 10 list of reasons why he failed in Houston.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Regular Starter

His system works, but I also don't think he is going to come up with something outside the confines of his system at this point. So, he has a hard time thinking outside the box on the days his system isn't working. What New england did last week is a good example of something I don't think Kubiak has in him. Kubiak would never come up with running 4 offensive linemen and have an eligible receiver report ineligible.

IMO, his primary weakness here was his reliance on his guys and the loyalty that came along with it. Refused to even consider numerous good players and coaches as a result.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 AM
All-Pro

Wonder how many local cap casualties like maybe Cushing and Andre Johnson might end up playing for Kubiak in Denver ?
Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 AM
All-Pro

Poor Bob. The rest of us have put Lickey in the rear-view but now Bob's A-team goes and hires Lickey for who knows how many more years of punishment and abuse.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Wonder how many local cap casualties like maybe Cushing and Andre Johnson might end up playing for Kubiak in Denver ?
Cushing isn't going anywhere; too cost-detrimental to the 2015 cap. I am also in the camp that the Texans and Andre figure out a way to keep him here until he retires.

Speculating here, but the cap casualty and UFA-types that are now maybe desirable to the Broncos are going to be Garrett Graham, Chris Myers, and Derek Newton.

Graham fits the TE mold for Kubiak's offense much moreso than O'Brien's. It would be great if the Texans could get a late round pick in exchange. Myers, traded from the Broncos to the Texans many years ago, is 34 and entering the final year on his contract. I think he's still worth what's he paid and necessary for 2015 success, but this has the makings of a trade scenario if the Broncos had the need. Newton wasn't much of a success while Kubiak was here, but he ought to know the offense and could be a target since Newton showed dramatic improvement in 2014.

Others like Keyshawn Martin and Danieal Manning might be of minimal interest. The defensive players will be more dependent on whomever the Broncos hire as their coordinator. Kubiak-types are limited to offense.

Rant Sports lists the following as Bronco needs. Perhaps Bob might comment to confirm or deny as I do not follow them as closely:

1. Offensive Line
2. Defensive Line
3. Safety
4. Middle Linebacker
5. Tight End
Old 01-19-2015, 01:30 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
1. Offensive Line
2. Defensive Line
3. Safety
4. Middle Linebacker
5. Tight End
And, likely, quarterback.

I can't believe I'm saying this but it is absolutely imperative that the Texans re-sign Derek Newton and Kareem Jackson.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:36 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Perhaps Bob might comment to confirm or deny as I do not follow them as closely:

1. Offensive Line
2. Defensive Line
3. Safety
4. Middle Linebacker
5. Tight End
The Broncos had a gaping hole at RT after moving Orlando Franklin to guard. Manning is not a moving target so it was killing the Broncos for a few games. If they draft a RT early, that would be smart but isn't their glaringest need.

Help at LB is needed most. When Travathan and Marshall were injured, their backups were awful. I don't think they will draft ILB high however.

The problem is Kubiak only answers who the HC/OC is going to be. Losing Fox and Del Rio means the defense could be in for a major re-org. And if Manning retires, the QB situation becomes the #1 priority. I don't have much hope in Osweiler, the untested backup.

If Manning goes, that actually helps Kubiak because he'll have the built-in excuse he needs for a regression season while he tries to rebuild. If he's the HC and Manning hangs on for one more year, it better be Manning's offense, not Kubiak's because Manning won't survive in a Kubiak offense.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:38 PM
All-Pro

And, yes, I'm preparing myself for more slow white boy reverses.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:53 PM
All-Pro

The Kubiak hire seems to me to signal that the team has no interest in Manning going forward. It's difficult to imagine a more mis-matched head coach and quarterback tandem.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:57 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
And, yes, I'm preparing myself for more slow white boy reverses.
Wes Welker, come on down!

I hope they draft a left-handed quarterback.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Regular Starter

While it doesn't shock me to hear that Kubiak showed more fire and emotion behind closed doors than in public, I am surprised at the way Dreessen gushed over his motivational ability. I agree that his choice of DC will be crucial -- I wonder if Wade is on the short list?

BTW, when LeBeau was leaving Pittsburgh he made a point of saying he was resigning and not retiring. There's been some speculation that he'll end up in Arizona since he's coached with Bruce Arians before, although possibly in some role other than DC. Tennessee has also been mentioned as a possibility since Whisenhunt is another former Steeler assistant.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:55 PM
All-Pro

Hearing Wade Phillips is now defensive coordinator in Denver.

So good luck to all the exTexan coaches and players likely headed to Denver now.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:51 AM
All-Pro

Rick Dennison was named offensive coordinator. It looks like they're putting the band back together...