IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 09-24-2013, 10:14 PM
All-Pro

Default 2014 Mock Drafts

WalterFootball.com 9.25.13

19 C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
The Texans really wanted to add some inside linebackers in the 2013 NFL Draft, but never got around to it (Arthur Brown was snagged off the board right before they picked in Round 2). They remain pretty thin at the position.

51 David Fales, QB, San Jose State
If Matt Schaub disappoints yet again, the Texans will be tempted to grab one of the talented quarterbacks in this class during the first two days of the draft.

83 Deandre Coleman, DE/DT, California
The Texans have a couple of defensive linemen heading for free agency in March, including Antonio Smith.

My cherry pick of this mock, I am not claiming to know anything about the player I am picking only going for the position.

19 Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
51 Jackson Jeffcoat, OLB, Texas
83 Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky

I think LG is an issue which can be filled by Quiss. I think that Antonio is either resigned or Crick and Montgomery are used to fill the spot ( see the other thread where Montgomery has been moved to DE). It's real early and there is no telling what happens between now and next May.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 PM
All-Pro

Exclamation

Not sure what all might happen between now and 2014 draft but seems there are quite a few QB rated as first and second round picks, so we shall see.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:31 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
Not sure what all might happen between now and 2014 draft but seems there are quite a few QB rated as first and second round picks, so we shall see.
For the first time in years I am going to be tracking early round QBs.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:11 PM
All-Pro

Default WalterFootball.com 10.2.13

WalterFootball.com 10.2.13

17 C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
The Texans really wanted to add some inside linebackers in the 2013 NFL Draft, but never got around to it (Arthur Brown was snagged off the board right before they picked in Round 2). They remain pretty thin at the position.

49 Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
What the hell was Matt Schaub thinking when he tossed that pick-six to Richard Sherman? It's time for Houston to move on.

81 Jeoffrey Pagan, DE/DT, Alabama
The Texans have a couple of defensive linemen heading for free agency in March, including Antonio Smith.

An all SEC draft? Not a bad one here, don't currently think Murray will last this long, but he is a solid pick. I also agree with ILB help, and Mosley is a machine.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:43 PM
All-Pro

I thought we only took ACC players and U. of South Carolina. Now I'm confused.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:10 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
WalterFootball.com 10.2.13

17 C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama

49 Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
What the hell was Matt Schaub thinking when he tossed that pick-six to Richard Sherman? It's time for Houston to move on.

81 Jeoffrey Pagan, DE/DT, Alabama

An all SEC draft? Not a bad one here, don't currently think Murray will last this long, but he is a solid pick. I also agree with ILB help, and Mosley is a machine.
When Cushing went down Sharpton was terrible. He could have cost us the game twice (going inside shoulder on the 4th down play that would have kept it 20-6, and then the dumb horse collar when the guy was already going out of bounds). If a training camp cut like Mays starts for us, and Sharpton is the best of the rest, count me in. I don't think it is a round 1 player in our defense, but I would love it if we could just draft a healthy tackler in the 3rd-4th.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:43 PM
All-Pro

Default Walters 10.9.2013

Walters 10.9.2013

14 C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama

46 Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia

78 Henry Anderson, DE/DT, Stanford

Pick change; previously Jeoffrey Pagan, DE/DT

Almost the same as last weeks

Like last week the need for a QB is growing, Johnny Football is on the board with the first pick and I do not see McNair biting on him. Only pick I might look at a different position is CB in the 3rd.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:13 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Walters 10.9.2013

14 C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama

46 Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia

78 Henry Anderson, DE/DT, Stanford

Pick change; previously Jeoffrey Pagan, DE/DT

Almost the same as last weeks

Like last week the need for a QB is growing, Johnny Football is on the board with the first pick and I do not see McNair biting on him. Only pick I might look at a different position is CB in the 3rd.
Who do we get for drafting in the top 5?
Old 10-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Who do we get for drafting in the top 5?
A QB that Kubiak won't know how to utilize and will stymie with his antiquated schemes.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:42 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
A QB that Kubiak won't know how to utilize and will stymie with his antiquated schemes.
I would guess a player that is chosen by the new head coach.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:05 AM
All-Pro

Default Walters 10.16.2013

Walters 10.16.2013

Quote:
10 C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama

I thought about slotting Johnny Manziel here, but the Texans put so much stock into character that they may look elsewhere for a solution at the quarterback position.

42 Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU
What the hell was Matt Schaub thinking when he tossed that pick-six to Richard Sherman? Schaub's confidence is completely gone. It's time for Houston to move on.

Pick change; previously Aaron Murray, QB

74 Ed Stinson, DE/DT, Alabama

Pick change; previously Henry Anderson, DE/DT

What do you guys think?

As of right now, I think it's time for a change, but a rookie QB is not what this team needs, is it? A new HC maybe. So I have no way of knowing how this team will draft next year.

Last edited by painekiller; 10-16-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:15 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Walters 10.16.2013

What do you guys think?

As of right now, I think it's time for a change, but a rookie QB is not what this team needs, is it? A new HC maybe. So I have now way of knowing how this team will draft next year.
Interesting logic from him. We pass on one QB due to character issues to draft a guy who was kicked out of his first school for legal troubles.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 AM
All-Pro

If we're truly going to pick 10th, it may be the year to take a rookie QB. Who knows how long it may be before we pick that high again. Then again, I'm not wowed by any of the QBs who might be there - even Bridgewater.

Manziel might make sense if the Texans were having trouble selling out the place but otherwise, no. Too many ways for that scenario to go wrong.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:39 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
If we're truly going to pick 10th, it may be the year to take a rookie QB. Who knows how long it may be before we pick that high again. Then again, I'm not wowed by any of the QBs who might be there - even Bridgewater.

Manziel might make sense if the Texans were having trouble selling out the place but otherwise, no. Too many ways for that scenario to go wrong.
I like Taj Boyd more than any of the other QBs, and I am sure that Hopkins wouldn't mind.

Manziel is intriguing in our current offense due to his mobility and ability to throw on the run. But if it's a whole new offense it is far less intriguing.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:02 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Manziel is intriguing in our current offense due to his mobility and ability to throw on the run. But if it's a whole new offense it is far less intriguing.
I agree with that, I just see him being an issue, an issue that McNair will not want to deal with.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
I agree with that, I just see him being an issue, an issue that McNair will not want to deal with.
I would agree, but a new HC will likely come with the mandate to find a QB. A Smith/New Guy combo would likely have the juice to go with anyone they wanted. Especially if it was Sumlin.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 AM
All-Pro

Default Walters 10.22.2013

Walters 10.22.2013

Quote:
5 Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
This was a tough decision. I considered C.J. Mosley, as I've been mocking him to Houston the past four weeks, but it's too early for an inside linebacker, despite the glaring need. Tajh Boyd was an option, but I wanted to move him down into the middle portion of the first round. Louis Nix was also a candidate, but I ultimately settled on Taylor Lewan.

The Texans let Eric Winston go this past offseason, thinking they could easily replace him because of their system. As it turns out, the new right tackle, Derek Newton, has been one of the worst starting linemen in all of football.

Pick change; previously C.J. Mosley, ILB

37 Stephen Morris, QB, Miami
Case Keenum will get a chance to prove himself for the rest of the season. If he doesn't convince Houston's front office that he can be a solid starter, the team will attempt to find a franchise quarterback in the spring.

Pick change; previously Zach Mettenberger, QB

69 Yawin Smallwood, ILB, Connecticut
The Texans really wanted to add some inside linebackers in the 2013 NFL Draft, but never got around to it (Arthur Brown was snagged off the board right before they picked in Round 2). They remain pretty thin at the position, especially in the wake of yet another injury to Brian Cushing.

Pick change; previously Ed Stinson, DE/DT
If the Texans have the 5 pick, I trade up for

3 Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
37 Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas
69 Yawin Smallwood, ILB, Connecticut

Ok I admit, no way do the Texans go this way. But Matthews can play RT until it's time to move on from Brown. i chose Jeffcoat cause I just love the kid, but i don't think it's the right move right here in the draft, but I did it anyway.
As for Smallwood, we need as many ILBs as we can find. IMO
Old 10-24-2013, 12:39 AM
All-Pro

Rob Rang at CBSSports.com now has the Texans selecting 4th and taking Johnny Manzeil. My reaction is "wrong Aggie". If the Texans are drafting that high, they should take Jake Matthews and start him at RT (his natural position). That would instantly upgrade the offense because the backs will have better holes to run through and the QB (whoever he is) will get more time to throw.

Plus, there are no issues with Matthews not being focused on football. With his bloodlines, he knows how to be a pro.

I'd be shocked if they were drafting that high because they'd probably lose all their remaining games (including both with Jacksonviile) in order to get there. But if you gave me a choice between Manziel and Matthews, that's a layup for me. Get Matthews.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Rob Rang at CBSSports.com now has the Texans selecting 4th and taking Johnny Manzeil. My reaction is "wrong Aggie". If the Texans are drafting that high, they should take Jake Matthews and start him at RT (his natural position). That would instantly upgrade the offense because the backs will have better holes to run through and the QB (whoever he is) will get more time to throw.

Plus, there are no issues with Matthews not being focused on football. With his bloodlines, he knows how to be a pro.

I'd be shocked if they were drafting that high because they'd probably lose all their remaining games (including both with Jacksonviile) in order to get there. But if you gave me a choice between Manziel and Matthews, that's a layup for me. Get Matthews.
It's a QB driven league. Jacksonville had a great RT this year they drafted and it meant just about nothing because they did not have a QB. I don't care "which Aggie" or if it's an Aggie at all, but I hope it's a QB, especially if we are that high.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:48 AM
All-Pro

Quote:

LTs are worthy of the 4th overall pick, but not RTs unless they would be drafted with the plan of ultimately being the "franchise" LT. However since we've already got Duane Brown, well like I said in the first place, the 4th overall is too high for a RT.