IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 03-04-2019, 12:24 PM
Regular Starter

Default Clowney tagged

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/...32083132948480

https://twitter.com/TexansPR/status/1102633502758092800

Interesting that the official release from the Texans doesn't say whether it was the LB designation or the DE designation.

Edit to add - my friend with the team confirmed he was tagged as a LB (and that the league determines it).

https://twitter.com/SeanTPendergast/...37547237330947

Last edited by bikerack; 03-04-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:11 PM
All-Pro

CBS Sports.com says that gives the Texans right of first refusal if an offer is made but that if the Texans decline the offer sheet, they would receive two first-round picks in return. So what would prevent a team like the Raiders from making an offer and include a poison pill in the contract where (for example) the offer amount doubles for any team based in Texas? Did the NFL ever get rid of that tactic?
Old 03-04-2019, 04:37 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
CBS Sports.com says that gives the Texans right of first refusal if an offer is made but that if the Texans decline the offer sheet, they would receive two first-round picks in return. So what would prevent a team like the Raiders from making an offer and include a poison pill in the contract where (for example) the offer amount doubles for any team based in Texas? Did the NFL ever get rid of that tactic?
What would stop the Texans from celebrating at the receipt of 2 first round picks?

What would lead a Raiders team that is void of talent and nowhere close to contending to use 2 first round picks and brinks truck full of money to sign Clowney?
Old 03-05-2019, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Poison pills aren't quite the same threat today that they might have been years ago. The Texans are loaded with cap space, especially as if they have been budgeting for Clowney's contract for awhile now.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:40 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
What would stop the Texans from celebrating at the receipt of 2 first round picks?

What would lead a Raiders team that is void of talent and nowhere close to contending to use 2 first round picks and brinks truck full of money to sign Clowney?
To be honest, I agree with you. Clowney will be overpriced and I'd rather have the draft picks.

I singled out the Raiders because they have a ton of top draft choices in the next two years from their sell-off of Mack and Cooper, they have even more cap space than us PLUS they are going to need some "name" players to sell tickets when they move to Las Vegas in 2020. I also don't trust the Raiders to have a whole lot of sense - just look what they've done the past two years.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:20 AM
All-Pro

Just because we know who he is I don't believe qualifies JD as a 'name' player.

But, hey, if they want Clowney and they have two first round picks burning a hole, have at it, Skippy.

Maybe you can get on that, Buford, right after you trade Derek Fisher for a starting pitcher.