IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 07-28-2012, 10:08 AM
All-Pro

Default Training Camp Report

Today marks the first practice of the 2012 season. Football is back, and Houston loves them some Texans. I arrived at Reliant at 7:10am and the parking lot was half full, the line was long to get in and the stands for 90% full.

I moved to the north end zone to watch, usually a good move, but today not so much.

Due to the new bargaining agreement, teams have to have 5 practices in shorts before they put on full pads. So today was a dress rehearsal in many ways. And boy was it hot. No breeze to speak of either. So hot that Kubiak moved the team inside the bubble at 9:15. And that was it for the fans.

Not sure I am going back tomorrow.

OK that is the overview. I do not have many observations about individuals, hard to see today due to the locations on the field.

Schaub was out there, and he ran unto the field to start the practice season. I am sure that was to send a message to the fans. He did look rusty IMO. He appeared to have less zip on the ball. TJ looked more at ease with the deep ball than Matt. But I think that has been a Schaub signature since he got to Houston.

AJ was there and he was AJ.

Guys that flashed for me, Justin Forsett, was the biggest flash for me. He is super fast, and upgrade for the #3 RB.

I remember a very good defensive play in coverage by Keo. So maybe he makes the sophomore jump.

Kelvin Martin is as advertised. He was targeted a few plays and that had to be because he was able to get that step on the defender. He made some plays out there and I noticed him.

Keenum looked good, not saying that any QB looked bad, but I have seen many UDFA QBs looking lost at the first open practice and he looked natural.

Sorry I don't have much more, I just did not have the best seat to get more info. I saw plays being made, but was not always sure who was the player/players involved.

But guys, it's great to have football back!!!!
Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Thanks pk. Was it as crowded as ever? I miss the old days of camp when it wasn't so packed.

Texans posted a link from their Facebook page to get tickets to Sunday's morning practice for those still in need.

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/tex...y/details/HTC2
Old 07-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the report! All info, much appreciated....
Old 07-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Minor groin injury for Andre Johnson this morning.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ted-by-injury/

Can't make it through 2 days of camp... not sure why we should expect he'd make it through 16 regular season games and a deep playoff run.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Minor groin injury for Andre Johnson this morning.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ted-by-injury/

Can't make it through 2 days of camp... not sure why we should expect he'd make it through 16 regular season games and a deep playoff run.
Don't want to over-react after 2 days of camp, but as you stated it is going to be real hard to continue to count on AJ if he can't stay on the field. Rick Smith has shown that he has no qualms about cutting the "stars" of the franchise, and this might be another notch on the bedpost.

The sad thing is, I'm not so sure I wouldn't be OK with that, provided we had someone that develops or we aquire another legitimate #1. AJ has been my fav since he arrived, but it seems as if he is holding them back from getting another top end WR. When is enough.....enough?

Food for thought....sadly
Old 07-30-2012, 10:57 AM
All-Pro

Just returned from Monday's open practice. They have issued attendance numbers of 5,700+, largest crowd ever. And boy was it hot.

Today was the 1st day in shoulder pads, so a little more hitting, but still not full blown pads. Not that they ever really hit (tackle) in practice.

Well today I watched more of the WR drills then the other day.

First my no duh statements.

Jonathan Joesph is a stud. Very few balls are caught by his guy. He has the amazing ability to swipe the ball away before the WR pulls the ball in.

This is the deepest this team has been since they started to play. And they have done it the right way.

JJ Watts is a beast. He is almost unblockable in the one on one drill. His quickness and strength are hard for anyone to stop. Plus IMO he has become the fan friendly guy. (that was Eric Winston before). I think he is going to be very special.

Duane Brown maybe the best OLT is football. These guys were taking ahead of him, Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Branden Albert, ok they are good, but Gosder Cherilus, Jeff Otah, and Sam Baker. Those last guys have not panned out for various reason. And I thought he was only worth a 3rd round pick. Duane Brown is a hard worker and it has paid off in a big way. Pay him Rick!!

Now some observation.

Keshawn Martin continues to flash. Posey also had some moments, he also had a big drop on a very deep ball in 1 on 1.

Schaub's throws looked a lot better today then on Saturday. John Beck has a huge arm. And Case Keenum continues to look solid. I am not slighting Yates here, I just did not focus on him.

Foster looks like he is in mid season form.

Lestar Jean has made the team, the question is can he move up the ladder. I can't tell you how many time I saw a play being made and then noticed it was Kevin Walters making the play. Walters is the clear #2 guy. We are going to be cutting some WR that play in this league for someone.

Stop calling Brandon Harris a bust, he was looking very good in coverage. Also keep an eye on Roc Carmichael. He is looking good.

Ben Jones has a mean streak, and I like that. Plus he the shortest OL guy we have.

Staying with the OL, Derek Newton has really improved, he is going to push Butler, who also looked solid. And Brandon Brooks is looking like a guy who is finding his way. That is not a slight, he has a lot of things to catch up on. And I think he will.

This is a deep team with not many roster spots open, and I am glad I am not the coaches having to make that cut down.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
Don't want to over-react after 2 days of camp, but as you stated it is going to be real hard to continue to count on AJ if he can't stay on the field. Rick Smith has shown that he has no qualms about cutting the "stars" of the franchise, and this might be another notch on the bedpost.

The sad thing is, I'm not so sure I wouldn't be OK with that, provided we had someone that develops or we aquire another legitimate #1. AJ has been my fav since he arrived, but it seems as if he is holding them back from getting another top end WR. When is enough.....enough?

Food for thought....sadly
More food for your thought, It is rumored that Mike Wallace is on the trading block for a 2nd and a 5th round pick. Or the Sportsradio 610 guys, asked "would you" with a Wallace for Tate trade right now?

If AJ plays in 12+ games including the playoff, then I think we are OK.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:49 AM
All-Pro

Nice work PK, thanks.

The organization has made some questionable draft day decisions but those involving Duane Brown and JJ Watt were plainly not among them. I never foresaw Brown becoming the anchor that he is and an elite LT, nor did I have the slightest inkling that Watt would be very good much less the best player on a pretty damn good defense.

If anyone has any insight on what Mercilus is up to at these practices I'd love to hear it.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 PM
All-Pro

I went to practice this morning and for the first time ever I was disappointed in the experience, but actually for a good reason I suppose because it was the largest crowd I've ever seen at any Texans' TC practice including past years when I've attended on weekends. In past years there'd be places where you could get with maybe a small cluster of other fans, say 10 or a dozen, and watch certain drills with good visibility and even almost a sense of intimacy. Not this morning ! As they say, we are the victims of our own success.
And call me an alarmist if you want, but the situation with AJ is really a big deal because I have doubt about us being able to count on him again to be there for us in most of the games of a season ? Groins don't go away without rest, and I mean lengthy rest, not a week or 10 days. And this comes right out of the blocs, just the second session of TC. And what kind of injury could be next ?
I sure hope I'm wrong about this ?
Old 07-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
More food for your thought, It is rumored that Mike Wallace is on the trading block for a 2nd and a 5th round pick. Or the Sportsradio 610 guys, asked "would you" with a Wallace for Tate trade right now?

If AJ plays in 12+ games including the playoff, then I think we are OK.
The Steelers may be willing to let Wallace play out his final year then let him walk as UFA next year. Could get them a compensatory pick in 2014 plus allows them to keep him on the roster one more season.

I would love for the Texans to acquire Wallace this month, and giving up Tate or that pick combo would be ok (would prefer to give up the picks though). The real problem comes when trying to fit Wallace into the cap, one which will also need to find room for Duane Brown, Connor Barwin, and Matt Schaub, among others.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:49 PM
All-Pro

Wallace isn't going anywhere unless the new team can give him the huge new deal Pittsburg won't. We can't do that even if we were willing to give up the picks.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Yeah, sad but true.

To lighten the mood, hear Jerrah talk about the 'glory hole' days of the Crackwagon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1del...e_gdata_player
Old 07-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Wallace isn't going anywhere unless the new team can give him the huge new deal Pittsburg won't. We can't do that even if we were willing to give up the picks.
Yep, while it is an interesting thought, but a move for Wallace would force another MAJOR chop off the roster. Shoot, I don't know that we could get his $2.7MM tender under the cap, and still have flexibility during the season for the vet min. guys that will be coming in to fill in for injury.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:09 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

If anyone has any insight on what Mercilus is up to at these practices I'd love to hear it.
Mercilus, is very quick. He will benefit greatly from playing next to/ behind Watts. In the 2 on 2 drill today, Watts destroyed the two OL guys, and I believe it was Mercilus, had a free shot at the ball. Mercilus did not show me any pass rush moves other than speed.

Mercilus is still raw and will need time to grow. We have 5 young OLB (Barwin, Braman, Reed, Mercilus, and Nading) right now so I am not concerned about us having any trouble there.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:13 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The Steelers may be willing to let Wallace play out his final year then let him walk as UFA next year. Could get them a compensatory pick in 2014 plus allows them to keep him on the roster one more season.

I would love for the Texans to acquire Wallace this month, and giving up Tate or that pick combo would be ok (would prefer to give up the picks though). The real problem comes when trying to fit Wallace into the cap, one which will also need to find room for Duane Brown, Connor Barwin, and Matt Schaub, among others.
I agree with this, I was only relaying the radio talk show banter.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:19 PM
All-Pro

fwiw, I'm not panicking on WR's, atleast not yet.

I think we got a good group of 10 WR in TC already.

And I don't think AJ is hurt bad and I think KW is a reasonable 2.

And we have other excellent TE and RB receiving options as well.

All receivers drop a pass once in a while and everyone gets a ding once in a while.

A slight groin pull can be gone in a day or two as well, just depends.

Last edited by Nconroe; 07-30-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:43 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

They had a replay of the past years "Kraft Fight Hunger" bowl on one of the local Houston cable channels couple weeks ago which featured Illinois vs UCLA and I got to watch Mercilus.
As advertised he's very athletic and truly does have a nonstop motor as he appears to be hustling on every play. He was very strong on rushing plays and made several tackles behind the los and also got a sack and many hurries even though UCLA had 2 & 3 men blocking him on every passing play. Plus the guy seems to be an enthusiastic teammate as the camera caught him jumping up and down on the sideline several times when his offense made a long-play and was right in the middle of the celebration at the end of the game with the Illinois win.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
fwiw, I'm not panicking on WR's
I am and I gotta think the Texans are also concerned and would use maybe up to a mid-round pick to trade for a vet WR before the season starts, though I have no idea who that might be in terms of a fit for our offense ? Would a potential trade include somebody like Tate as rumored ? Good question ?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM
All-Pro

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Tuesday that he hopes injured wide receiver Andre Johnson could return to the field next Monday.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...a-4a26d8964cfa
Old 07-31-2012, 02:54 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I am and I gotta think the Texans are also concerned and would use maybe up to a mid-round pick to trade for a vet WR before the season starts, though I have no idea who that might be in terms of a fit for our offense ? Would a potential trade include somebody like Tate as rumored ? Good question ?
In a worse case, I see them waiting for any vets that might be on the trading block to be released, and then signed to a team friendly contract. If you trade for a guy then you assume their contract and with our cap space being tight, I don't see them taking on anybodies else's dead weight.

Every year some veteran WR is cut and they can pick up someone. Remember there are now 3 other teams running very similar styles of WCO. That just adds to the pool.

Right now I think they want a vet for leadership in camp, not necessarily to make a big splash during the season.

I saw talent in our young WR, just no history.