IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 10-12-2009, 11:32 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2009/20091011.html
And it's a shame considering how close this team really is to being 4-1 right now. But instead, we're probably looking at another 8-8 finish at this rate.
And on the other hand we really aren't that far from 1-4.
Lets face it, we're plateauing under Kubiak - he may have hit his limit at .500 ?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:57 PM
All-Pro

Re-watching the game and noticed when the Cards ran 4 - WRs in their formation, we actually had only 3 Downlinemen and kept Cushing on the field as a "blitzer" so we still rushed 4.

That first drive Warner did a great job of finding mis-matches in our defense. He hit Fitzgerald out of the slot when we had DeMeco Ryans covering him while Zac Diles blitzed. Ryans couldn't keep up and Fitzgerald out ran him to the next window between the safety and CB. Also, Warner passed to Hightower out of the backfield when we ran a Zone-Blitz that had Connor Barwin dropping into coverage.

The second drive, Steve Breaston made a push-off on Glover Quinn at 5:32 1st Qtr for a completion. You can see Kubiak yelling at the refs.
The next play, Fitzgerald comes in motion and continues to run in the flat out of the reach of Pollard. Bolden took the CB deep out of the play leaving Fitz on Pollard for a quick pick up. That set up 2nd and 1 and they run a play-action pass and Fitzgerald schooled Dunta Robinson on a comeback and Dunta lost his footing. They ran up the middle next, and Pollard stopped the run for a 1 yard gain. Shotgun, RB goes left for an empty backfield, we rush 4 and get some pressure making Warner step up to hit Urban coming across underneath zone coverage. The zone had a big hole as Robinson went back toward the endzone, Ryans and Diles covered other players. Warner hits a slant and Quinn and Wilson create a fumble for Ryans to pick up. Score remains 7-0. Defense gave the offense the ball and created a turnover in the Red Zone.

Our offense gets into the Red Zone and Schaub overthrows Andre in the endzone. Kris Brown gets his FG attempt blocked.

Cards 3rd drive. Hightower gets stopped by Okoye in the backfield. Bolden catches a pass over the middle (couldn't see play b/c they were showing blocked FG replay). 3rd and 7 - shotgun Hightower tackled immediately in flat, Cards go 3 and out. Punt.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:47 PM
All-Pro

After Dre dropped the 3rd and 2 slant pass, we punted setting up Cards next drive. Tight trips left, Fitz to right, Wells follows pulling guard for 2 yard gain, Bulman makes tackle. 4-Wrs, Shotgun with RB to Warner's left, Cushing bltzes and we rush with 4 DLs, Breaston slides behind Zone CB Reeves and in front of Pollard. Beanie runs "Wildcat" and we stop him for gain of 2 yards. Hightower tries to go outside for a gain of 1. 3rd and 7, shotgun with 2 RBs, Stephens-Rowling can't catch pass. Okoye was in Warner's face. Cards Punt.

Slaton couldn't convert 3rd and 1 following Leach, Winston and Myers. Texans punt. Cards start at their own 32 yard line. Warner has pass knocked down by Okoye. Shotgun, Fitz in motio for screen. Reeves couldn't get off block, Mario was pass rushing, Cushing blocked by TE, so Fitzgerald gets 10 yards after making the catch behind the LOS. Play-action, Bulman takes Warner down and Warner throws into the dirt. Sendlein called for holding anyway for loss of 10. 1st and 20, Shotgun w/ 4-WRs, Urban makes out and gains 12 as McCain gave him too much cushion. Cushing was the 4th rusher as we only play Okoye, Williams, and Smith on the DL. 2nd and 8, 4WRs, shotgun, we blitz Cushing and Ryans this time: Warner completes pass to Bolden while Quinn tried to cover. 1st and 10 - 4WRs, play action fake reverse, Breaston is wide open between Ryans, Quinn, Pollard, Wilson, Robinson, and McCain. That was good for 22 yards... Definitely a breakdown in Zone coverage. 2 minute warning. Wells goes up the middle, Cody stops him for 4 yards. 2nd and 6 - WRs to left, I formation, Reeves gets called for PI on Bolden during the Slant route. 1st and Goal - Shotgun 4WRs: we rush Barwin, Okoye, Smith, and Williams. Cushing and Ryans both stand in the middle of the field and Cushing takes the RB coming out of the backfield. Warner has plenty of time - Dunta Robinson trail Fitzgerald in the back of the endzone and Warner finds him for a TD. I believe we could have sent Ryans or Cushing on a delay-blitz. Cards up 14 - 0.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
OK, I've said this before but it's worth repeating. ZBS is not conducive to gaining a short yard. We do not have the O-line to move a DL off the line of scrimmage. Antoine Caldwell isn't even active because he lacks the experience to beat out White. I realize that Alex Gibbs is considered a GURU and we are lucky to have him, but short yardage is not the strength.

This team is built to pass. The catch in the back of the endzone was a good play, as Rich Gannon mentioned, Schaub simply let the pass sail. We should have spread out the defense and ran a draw up the middle.

I don't blame Chris Brown for not getting in, I blame the stubborn coaches who had faith in Myers and Briesel to get some push against Gabe Watson and Darnell Dockett.
What was it with Schaub? He was high seems like all game. Not only that endzone play, but several sideline plays in the first half. Then in the 4th quarter, with a chance to tie it up, he floats a lazy ball out to Walter on the Sideline and Dominick Cromartie quick sixes the int. Schaub had his head up his ass the whole game.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Schaub had his head up his ass the whole game.
I would have to respectfully disagree with that statement. Completing 70% of his passes for 371 yards is not exactly having your head up your ass. He was off target on some throws, he should have put more mustard on the pick, and he should not have rushed the throw to Dressen, but QB play was not our issue yesterday. My biggest complaint with Schaub is he is such a slow starter. Once he gets going, he is good, but man, we can't wait until Q2to get the O going.

Based on Kubes comments in the post game interviews, I am looking for a shake-up in the play calling next week against the Bengals. I think he is finally going to listen to Roy P () and use the passing game, which I would imagine ranks near the top of the NFL, to set up the run. Get Slaton and Moats into space and get some points on the board.
"We've got to move the football," Kubiak said. "If we've got to go out there and throw it all the time, that's what we'll do."

Last edited by WMH; 10-12-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:19 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
What was it with Schaub? He was high seems like all game.
I'm not sure that Schaub is 100% healthy. That stupid ankle twist he had in the pre-season may be causing him to throw a little high. He had several throws that went higher than where they should be. I think maybe he's not getting his feet set properly. The 4th and 1 play in the 3rd QTR with 10:55 left in the game, Schaub overthrew AJ by 5 yards in the back of the endzone. It is really apparent when he rolls to his left and has to throw.

We had a 3rd & 1 on the 20 yard line and Kevin Walters motioned into the backfield. Andre was out wide and Schaub was able to sneak for the one yard gain. I would have liked to have seen that formation on the goal line and have Schaub pitch it out to Walters. Andre could have blocked Rolle, while Walters went wide. On this same drive, Schaub over threw AJ in the corner of the Endzone. Then on 2nd and goal, we had David Anderson go in motion to the left and gained 3 yards. Then 3rd and goal, we had I formation and 3 TEs, with Dreesen going in motion behind Schaub and Chris Brown scored the TD.

That is when the defense started doing better. Why? We played more man-to-man coverage. For some reason, these young players haven't figured out how to play Zone. When we went man, and blitzed Cushing or Ryans, we got hits on Warner and made him inaccurate.

Schaub was doing well, but in the 4th at 13:52, he overthrew a wide open OD. Then turned around and threw a dart to David Anderson. Ball at the ten, and Bob's favorite was called, Slow whiteboy reverse to Walter. Then empty backfield screen to AJ for a TD. D. Brown and Studdard got out there to block.

That Cromartie pick was just a good read by the CB. Schaub was a little late on that throw and Cromartie just jumped it. He looked left first and came back to the out route on the right where Cromartie was waiting.

On the run play before the pick, Dockett blew up Briesel and it looked like he was hurt. Supposedly, Briesel will most likely miss this week. Wonder why we thought running behind a hurt OL was a good idea on the goal line.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree with that statement. Completing 70% of his passes for 371 yards is not exactly having your head up your ass. He was off target on some throws, he should have put more mustard on the pick, and he should not have rushed the throw to Dressen, but QB play was not our issue yesterday. My biggest complaint with Schaub is he is such a slow starter. Once he gets going, he is good, but man, we can't wait until Q2to get the O going.

Based on Kubes comments in the post game interviews, I am looking for a shake-up in the play calling next week against the Bengals. I think he is finally going to listen to Roy P () and use the passing game, which I would imagine ranks near the top of the NFL, to set up the run. Get Slaton and Moats into space and get some points on the board.
"We've got to move the football," Kubiak said. "If we've got to go out there and throw it all the time, that's what we'll do."
You are quite correct WMH. I said that in the aftermath of the game when I was still too hot over the outcome. But I do stand behind that fact that he was wild high on some of those out passes. And Kubiak doesn't seem to listen to anybody when it comes to thinking he can run the ball with our undersized line.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Pro Bowler

RP, you may well have hit the nail on the head. Schaub just seems like one of those people that doesn't heal very fast.