Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2009, 11:31 PM
All-Pro

Default Kubiak discusses OTAs

Nothing much new here.

Short summary:

Ready to get on the field.

Demeco is practicing and he thinks the business side will take of itself.

Dunta has chosen the other route, but told Kubiak he can be counted on. Rick Smith and Mr McNair handle the business side, Kubiak just works with whats here.

Okoye is healthy and ready to go.

Bush is not really installing a new system so much as changing the way it has been taught. Of course some new wrinkles will be added.

This is by far the best group of LBs the team has had since Kubiak has been here. Will play the 3 best.

Does not see us adding any new faces but who knows what a week of practice may uncover.

DE Connor Barwin and RB Jeremiah Johnson will not be able to attend until later this summer due to league rules, but does not see that as a problem for these guys.

RBs situation, told Slaton they expect him to have a big jump as a player, and if he does they will be fine. Chris Brown is healthy, and they expect to some good things from Moats. The kid from Tennessee will be here from the start of OTA, and he sees the OL improving again due to experience.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:29 PM
All-Pro

From what I read, you can't attend OTAs if your are still enrolled in school which is why some rooks don't attend.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Default Reports from OTA's

Only Dunta Robinson, Jeremiah Johnson, and Connor Barwin were no-shows, as expected, for day one of the OTAs this week. Travis Johnson was present, but injured.

Live chat transcript with the paid writer at the official.
Quote:
ben - spring, TX, US: how do the rookies look in the OTAs?

Brooke Bentley:
Hi Ben,
A lot of these rookies look that part of pros right away. Brian Cushing was the biggest linebacker on the field by far. The Texans aren't tackling right now, but Cushing looked like he wanted to lay some people out. He's going to have to work on his technique and learn the defensive schemes, but the learning curve should be steep for him. Third-round draft pick Antoine Caldwell was holding his own at center. He can play both guard or center, but assistant head coach Alex Gibbs worked him hard at center. Caldwell is sharp and he should pick up the zone scheme quickly. Tight end Anthony Hill has long arms and looks like he could develop into a good blocker. James Casey layed out to make a catch that was impressive. Defensive end Connor Barwin wasn't there because he is in school until June13. ...

Last edited by Keith; 05-18-2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: added Jeremiah to the missing list, thanks pk!
Old 05-18-2009, 05:00 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
RBs situation, told Slaton they expect him to have a big jump as a player, and if he does they will be fine.
REALLY?!?!?

I'll take what he gave last year and be happy. Just as long as he doesn't get hurt, I'll take it.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:22 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Only Dunta Robinson and Connor Barwin were no-shows, as expected, for day one of the OTAs this week.
RB Jeremiah Johnson was supposed to also miss OTA due to graduation date for Oregon? Was he there? Or just misreported?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:23 PM
All-Pro

Heard from the 610am update that Diles worked at SAM with Cushing today. Have not seen any other reports of Diles to confirm or refute.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:44 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
RB Jeremiah Johnson was supposed to also miss OTA due to graduation date for Oregon? Was he there? Or just misreported?
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5288
Johnson can't participate either.

(on DE Connor Barwin and RB Jeremiah Johnson not being able to show up for OTAs because of their late graduation dates) “It sets them back – they miss some reps – but there’s nothing you can do. When we signed them, we understood the issue, but they’re both very smart young men. They’ll catch up. Just something you have to deal with in our league.”

I did catch this and wanted some more info...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5290
everyone’s pretty healthy except for Chester (Pitts).

What is wrong with Chester?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Day 2 quotes from Kubiak on the injuries:
Quote:
(on DE Antonio Smith’s injury) “He’s had a hamstring issue for about the last two weeks, and instead of pushing him through this—we thought he might do something yesterday, but watching him work, to me it didn’t look like he was doing a lot.”

(on G Chester Pitts) “Chester had his elbows cleaned out. He had one elbow one week and the other elbow the following week, so he’s pre-cautioned. He probably will not work much at all in the OTAs – if any, there at the end. (DT) Travis (Johnson) was doing fine throughout the offseason. Last week, he started on a few different things, so he’s got to catch up physically before we let him on the field.

(on DT Amobi Okoye) “He’s been fine. He was good yesterday. He has a quad problem, actually, that has given his knee some soreness, and we feel like we’re on top of that. He’s had a good offseason, so unless he’s telling you something he doesn’t tell me, I think he’s OK.”

(on DT Travis Johnson not being on the field) “It’s not good. He needs to be out there. He needs to be out there helping the football team and he’s got a long, long way to go as a player, but he’s got issues, so we’ll get the issues solved and then we’ll let him get out there and compete.”
Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Day 2 quotes from Kubiak on the injurieson DT Amobi Okoye) “He’s been fine. He was good yesterday. He has a quad problem, actually, that has given his knee some soreness, and we feel like we’re on top of that. He’s had a good offseason, so unless he’s telling you something he doesn’t tell me, I think he’s OK.”
Not sure what Okoye is telling the coaches/trainer but he told Anna Megan he was not well on the Chron.com. Link to video

This might not be anything, but than again a player telling the reporters he is not well and not relaying to the coaches his issues concerns me.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Pro Bowler

If it is just a pull and not a tear, he should be able to work his way through it. I like his reaction to coach Kollar, too.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:30 PM
All-Pro

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5295

On Glover Quinn

"He’s a big, thick, good-looking kid. He moves around well. From the tape, we know he’s not afraid to hit. So we’re encouraged by him.”

I think Molden is hurt and if Dunta pouts about the Tag, we are going to have Reeves, Bennet, and Quinn at Nickle.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Pro Bowler

Premature.............but, he may be the hitter we've been loking for in the secondary.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Regular Starter

After watching the kid for several years I can tell you hE is not that
Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Pro Bowler

Why? He looks like the real deal. Is it that he talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk, or what?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Regular Starter

John Harris says from watching film on the guy that he hits like a ton of bricks and is a prime candidate to move to safety if the Texans so wish.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Administrator

More good news about Glover from today's practice, picked off his fourth INT today after three his first week. The flip side here though is that Moulden is still not where he needs to be, but the team sounds optimistic he'll be ready for training camp.

Quote:
Head coach Gary Kubiak
(on CB Glover Quin) “He just seems like he makes a play every day. He’s got a knack for getting his hands on the ball and when he does, he tends to come up with it. So he’s doing a lot of good things. He’s getting a great deal of reps because of (CB) Dunta’s (Robinson) situation, so, good chance for him to help the team quickly.” ...

Defensive backs coach David Gibbs
(on the interceptions CB Glover Quin is getting) “He took last week off. He had three his first week, he didn’t get any last week. I think he slept through all three days and got one today. But the other two rookies are doing good, too—(CB Brice) McCain and…I can’t remember my other guy’s name right now. But he’s doing good, so we’ll see what happens.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5315

Quote:
Health report: The only Texans to sit out of practice on Monday were wide receiver Jacoby Jones and defensive tackle Travis Johnson. Last week, Jones bruised his tailbone at home and is expected back any day. Johnson has been sidelined for all of OTAs with a hamstring injury.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5316

From last week...
Quote:
Strong safety Dominique Barber got his first taste of starting duties this week, taking reps with the first team in place of Nick Ferguson. ...

“Yeah, I’ve noticed a difference,” head coach Gary Kubiak said of Barber. “I think he’s more comfortable in what he’s doing. (Defensive backs coach) David (Gibbs) yesterday flipped him, told Nick, ‘Hey, I’m going to work Dominique with the first group, see how he responds.’ So he got some reps with the first group. You know, it’s a great opportunity for him.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5310
Old 06-02-2009, 10:36 PM
All-Pro

Seems to be quite a few stories about our RB's coming out of OTA on official site, so don't worry. And FB options. no more red zone troubles? hmm? was it maybe play calling and clock management also in the red zone. I guess experience of coaches might be getting better as well.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:54 PM
All-Pro

“Well, the reason I think the secondary is going to be better is for three things,” Ferguson said. “Frank Bush is our defensive coordinator. We have David Gibbs as our coach. And the acquisitions we made in the offseason. Antonio Smith will give us some pressure. Hopefully, the quarterbacks throw some balls off the wrong foot and give us an opportunity to get interceptions. And Brian Cushing . He’s going to allow us to do so many things with our defense.
I don’t know if we’re going to do this, but this personnel allows you to do 4-3 or 3-4 types and really keep the offense guessing. It’d be great for the defensive backfield. We’d have more opportunities for interceptions.” http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5321
I like the sounds of that.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I like the sounds of that.
Me to. I also liked the quote from Cushing about how he has no friends on the field. Seems like he is intense like a LB should be. Kind of like back in the 60's when they asked Ray Nitchkie why he played so hard in practice and he answered "Blood makes the grass grow".
Old 06-05-2009, 04:26 PM
All-Pro

Sizing up Okam: Big Frank Okam has been taking advantage of a huge opportunity during OTAs, getting added reps with defensive tackle Travis Johnson on the sidelines.
During the offseason, Okam struggled with his weight, entering the strength and conditioning program at 365 pounds. He has gotten down to 339, which is paying dividends on the field.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5323