IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Default Official Search for a New Defensive Coordinator Thread - Bush Hired!

Seems some of our hopes for Gray returning to Houston are possibly shared by Gray himself, assuming he isn't offered any HC opportunities.

Quote:
Gray a Wanted Man in Houston?

Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray confirmed that, while he loves his job here, he is very interested in being a defensive coordinator again. He will interview with Detroit for its head coaching job, and while it isn't certain that he will land a head coaching gig, he seems very likely to get strong consideration for the job of defensive coordinator in Houston.

Several players believe that position is very intriguing to Gray (a former Houston Oiler with ties to that area), and expect him to leave the Redskins for a promotion. Safeties coach Steve Jackson has strong ties to members of the Texans' front office, and with their defense being reshaped, they might make a play for Jackson, too.

By Jason La Canfora | December 31, 2008; 5:49 AM ET
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...edskinsinsider

As I posted in another thread, I think Gray might be the ideal candidate for the Texans if Kubiak doesn't just give the job to Frank Bush. Gray interviewed here for the HC job when it was awarded to Kubiak, and he has had documented success as a DC on his resume.

The Steve Jackson speculation is also interesting... I'm sure many of us remember him from the Oilers. Jackson was a CB at Purdue, which I think must be the reason behind the comment on his ties to the front office. GM Rick Smith was his teammate at safety.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Regular Starter

http://www.redskins.com/gen/coaches/Jerry_Gray.jsp

"From 2001-05, Gray served as defensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills.

In 2004, Gray led a defense that finished in the top five in the NFL in touchdowns allowed (29), yards allowed per game (264.2), passing yards allowed per game (164.0) and sacks registered (45). The unit led the league with 39 turnovers forced.

In 2003, Gray’s defense finished the year ranked second in the NFL in total defense, second against the pass and eighth against the run.

Prior to his time in Buffalo, Gray served four seasons as an assistant with the Tennessee Titans, including the last two as defensive backs coach. He helped Tennessee finish No. 1 in total defense and pass defense in 2000."
Old 01-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Pro Bowler

So why did he take the job as a secondary coach if he was so successful as a DC? All joking to the side.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Administrator

A couple reasons. First, as good as Gray's defenses were with the Bills in 2003 and 2004, they weren't so hot in 2005.

Second, Gray tried to become a HC, and notably lost to Kubiak here for that opportunity. He then interviewed to be the DC in Green Bay, but that job went to someone else. I think the coaching musical chairs were nearing the end by the time Kubiak was hired in 2006.

Lastly, Gregg Williams in Washington wanted him back. Gray had worked with Williams in Tennessee and again in Buffalo. Plus, I am guessing Dan Snyder probably was willing to pay Gray like a DC to be his DB coach.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Pro Bowler

Wasn't Greg Williams the DC for the Hags last year? Isn't he out of a job this year? Why not Greg Williams for our DC? He certainly seems to have the pedigree, it just remains do the Texans want him, and at what price? He won't come cheap!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:53 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
A couple reasons. First, as good as Gray's defenses were with the Bills in 2003 and 2004, they weren't so hot in 2005.

Second, Gray tried to become a HC, and notably lost to Kubiak here for that opportunity. He then interviewed to be the DC in Green Bay, but that job went to someone else. I think the coaching musical chairs were nearing the end by the time Kubiak was hired in 2006.

Lastly, Gregg Williams in Washington wanted him back. Gray had worked with Williams in Tennessee and again in Buffalo. Plus, I am guessing Dan Snyder probably was willing to pay Gray like a DC to be his DB coach.
Your leaving off a fact, Gregg Williams was the DC of Tennessee when he was hired to be the HC of Buffalo, he brought Gray, his DB coach from Tennessee to be his DC in Buffalo. When Williams was fired, and picked up by Washington Williams hired Gray as Gray's last option. Gray had interviewed for the HC position with us, and we decided late and most of the gigs where gone.

Williams and Gray's movement is normal, Williams likes his position coaches, Gray likes to work with Williams. But Gray has earned the right to be DC without Williams.

Gray is a victim of the very thing that keep Kubiak from being hired as a HC before. They worked under a person that was considered a genius on there side of the ball, so was it the HC or the coordinator he did the job.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Regular Starter

Gray's become my favorite for the position. Second to him in Coyer. I also wouldn't mind Marinelli.

I really don't want Bush though, I want some fresh blood and I want someone with success on their resume.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Wasn't Greg Williams the DC for the Hags last year? Isn't he out of a job this year? Why not Greg Williams for our DC? He certainly seems to have the pedigree, it just remains do the Texans want him, and at what price? He won't come cheap!
I think I'd rather have Gray by himself or maybe accompanied by Steve Jackson who has the title of "Passing Game - Safteties" coach. Maybe if he were the "Entire Secondary" coach here, it would be considered as a promotion.

As for the Hags, they have Donnie Henderson on their staff. I like that guy.

I'm still waiting to see what the Bears are offering Marinelli.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Pro Bowler

Marinlli would improve the defensive line for sure. Gray, I'm not too sure about. He wanted to be a HC when Kubes got the job. He is still a position coach with Washington 3 years later.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 PM
On the Sidelines

Default Sean McDermott

I heard Sean McDermott sounds a good option as well.
Here's an excellent comparison of some of the possibilities done by Matt in DGDB&D.
http://www.atexansblog.com/2009/01/0...abbit-coaches/
Old 01-06-2009, 09:15 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyk352 View Post
I heard Sean McDermott sounds a good option as well.
Here's an excellent comparison of some of the possibilities done by Matt in DGDB&D.
http://www.atexansblog.com/2009/01/0...abbit-coaches/
McDermott is my top choice by far. DGDB&D basically summed up my opinion on how our defense should look with this post.

http://www.atexansblog.com/2008/06/1...ensive-theory/
Old 01-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Regular Starter

Anybody else growing slightly concerned that the regular season has been over for almost 2 weeks and we still haven't heard of any coordinators even being scheduled to interview here. I mean, Williams and Gray (and every other coach that was on a team that didn't make the playoffs) were free to interview almost 2 weeks ago. I was certainly hoping we would be a little more proactive in our search. For instance, Profootballtalk is reporting that Nolan is close to getting the Packers' D coordinator job.

The Texans should have had a short list of candidates and if any of them were on staffs that did not make the playoffs, they should have been moving on evaluating them. Now, maybe they are doing this and it's just not being reported but I find it hard to believe that someone in Houston or in the city where the coach is currently on staff wouldn't have leaked this.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
Anybody else growing slightly concerned that the regular season has been over for almost 2 weeks and we still haven't heard of any coordinators even being scheduled to interview here.
No, I'm not concerned at all. Maybe they're waiting for McDermott or someone currently on staff with a playoff team. They may not be interested in Williams or Gray, and if that's the case, why bring them in?
Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Anybody else growing slightly concerned that the regular season has been over for almost 2 weeks and we still haven't heard of any coordinators even being scheduled to interview here. I mean, Williams and Gray (and every other coach that was on a team that didn't make the playoffs) were free to interview almost 2 weeks ago. I was certainly hoping we would be a little more proactive in our search. For instance, Profootballtalk is reporting that Nolan is close to getting the Packers' D coordinator job.

The Texans should have had a short list of candidates and if any of them were on staffs that did not make the playoffs, they should have been moving on evaluating them. Now, maybe they are doing this and it's just not being reported but I find it hard to believe that someone in Houston or in the city where the coach is currently on staff wouldn't have leaked this.
I'm not concerned about it. The Texans are pretty good about keeping things under wraps. I do have a feeling that Bush is getting the job. That is based on absolutely nothing....although McClain's piece about the search sounded a little like an attempt to soften the blow when Bush is hired. The chronicles never disguised a public relations piece for the Texans as actual jounralism have they? Seriously, I just have a gut feeling that it's going to be Bush.

McDermott and Gray would be my top choices, but I'm fine with Bush and would actually prefer him to some of the other names being tossed around.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
All-Pro

Not at all, KubiaK said he was taking a week off and then compiling the list of canidates. Now if we still do not have a DC by the Pro Bowl, then panic.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Pro Bowler

I wouldn't have a huge problem with Bush, I guess. However, I'd be a bit disappointed and really feel this team needs to bring in some fresh blood. Most of my disappointment or displeasure with it would come from the fact that if you're going to go with a guy that was already on staff (let alone one you had already flagged to be the DC), then why the hell didn't you make the move at the beginning of the season or when things were really bad? It's not like the Texans defense was anything special last year, and in fact they sucked and most media/fans were already on Richard Smith's ass for it. If you have that much confidence in the guy (Bush) to give him the job now, well then the move should have been made before the season. I say bring in a fresh, new approach.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Not at all, KubiaK said he was taking a week off and then compiling the list of canidates. Now if we still do not have a DC by the Pro Bowl, then panic.
Well, this sort of bothers me too. It's not like Smith's firing came out of the blue or was based on anything he did in the last month of the season. Hell, a lot of people thought he may have saved his job during the last 6 weeks. Kubiak had to know by midseason that a change was likely. If so, why is he waiting until after a week's vacation to start compiling a list of replacements? What if after this week off and he starts putting together this list he discovers that Mike Nolan would be a good fit? Well, it's too late because Nolan was hired by the Packers while he was on vacation. And if you have staff to fill and want to get your pick of the litter, why are you vacationing now?

Now, I see I'm clearly in the minority on this and most don't have a problem with it. Also, I agree with those who think the coaching search is probably just a smokescreen before hiring Bush. However, if they are serious about looking outside the organization, you're telling me there isn't a single coach on any team that either didn't make the playoffs or lost in the first round that is worth at least bringing in and taking a look at? I find that hard to believe as well as showing a lack of due diligence. Maybe they prefer someone currently still in the playoffs. That's great and they should interview them when they can but that shouldn't stop them from pursuing other avenues at the same time. Clearly, other teams are already on the move to fill their vacancies. The Texans aren't and I don't see any way this could be viewed as a positive. Best case scenario is that it ultimately doesn't impact who we hire. But when the only outcomes are either negative or neutral, that's not good business.

As for keeping it under wraps, I just don't believe this is likely at all. Not only would the Texans have to keep it quiet but so would the coach being interviewed (and his family and friends) and the team he is currently with. Throw on top of this the notion that no one saw him at the facility, airport, restaurant around town, etc. I just can't believe that candidates have come to town to interview and literally no one knew about it.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Regular Starter

To further my point, this article indicates that the Bears may be close to signing Marinelli as their defensive line coach -

http://www.freep.com/article/2009010...46/1048/sports

Now, Lovie Smith and Marinelli are friends and maybe the Texans would not have had a shot, but Marinelli is considered one of the best D line coaches in the business. Do you really think it is to the Texans' advantage to have their head coach on vacation, then come back and compile a list of candidates (which presumably will take some time as well), and then start the interview process? All the while, teams like the Bears are on the move and wooing potential candidates like Marinelli? How is it good for the Texans if Marinelli is hired by another team before Kubiak even sits down to decide whether he is a good fit?
Old 01-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
To further my point, this article indicates that the Bears may be close to signing Marinelli as their defensive line coach -

http://www.freep.com/article/2009010...46/1048/sports

Now, Lovie Smith and Marinelli are friends and maybe the Texans would not have had a shot, but Marinelli is considered one of the best D line coaches in the business. Do you really think it is to the Texans' advantage to have their head coach on vacation, then come back and compile a list of candidates (which presumably will take some time as well), and then start the interview process? All the while, teams like the Bears are on the move and wooing potential candidates like Marinelli? How is it good for the Texans if Marinelli is hired by another team before Kubiak even sits down to decide whether he is a good fit?
In all likelyhood they have no interest in running a Tampa 2 system.... If that is the case, why would you even consider a coach that would bring in and instill that type of defense.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:03 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
No, I'm not concerned at all. Maybe they're waiting for McDermott or someone currently on staff with a playoff team.

If that's the case, then I'll be more than happy. Just because nobody has seen a potential coach at the airport, that doesn't mean that Rick Smith and Kubiak haven't made any phone calls to let potential candidates know that they are interested in their services.