IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Regular Starter

Default Texans FA Tracker

Per multiple sources on twitter...

Texans re-sign Lechler and Novak.

Also, Texans interested in Ravens RT Rick Wagner but he may be too expensive.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:21 AM
All-Pro

So does that mean they'll be cutting Fig Newton?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
So does that mean they'll be cutting Fig Newton?
Can't answer the Newton question but sounds like they have been priced out of Wagner.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account
@RapSheet

The #Lions and OT Ricky Wagner have agreed in principle on a contract, source said. It will eclipse $9M per year, setting a new market.
Wagner (supposedly) off the market
Old 03-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Regular Starter

I'm sure everyone has seen/heard it but Romo will be released tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Regular Starter

Demps is gone. Signing with Chicago.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Regular Starter

https://twitter.com/mortreport/statu...15288799903744

Cowboys now expected to trade Romo to either DEN or HOU.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:03 AM
Regular Starter

John Simon to Indy
Old 03-10-2017, 09:05 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
John Simon to Indy
I saw 17M with 5.5M guaranteed. Those numbers seem reasonable for Simon but guess Rac & Vrabel didn't think he was worth it.
I would have restructured or cut Cushing to retain Simon but maybe they don't want to keep either of them.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:32 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I saw 17M with 5.5M guaranteed. Those numbers seem reasonable for Simon but guess Rac & Vrabel didn't think he was worth it.
I would have restructured or cut Cushing to retain Simon but maybe they don't want to keep either of them.
I love Simon, but you can't pay him that money to be your 4th edge rusher, and I don't think you can pay him that money with the plan that JJ/Mercilous/Clowney are getting hurt again.

Stinks that he went to Indy though.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:33 PM
All-Pro

It's good, really. Now we can exploit Simon's inability to cover backs out of the backfield just like Indy would do to us.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:56 PM
All-Pro

I never really thought Simon was anything more than just a guy.

Bouye we'll miss; Simon, I doubt it.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:50 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
It's good, really. Now we can exploit Simon's inability to cover backs out of the backfield just like Indy would do to us.
34 OLBs cannot cover backs out of the backfield. Nor should they be asked to for longer than 1-2 seconds. That has nothing to with Simon.

Also, the Colts did little in the passing game against us in general last year, and even less with their RBs. What little they did get to their RBs had nothing to do with Simon. So I have no idea where this comment comes from.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:48 PM
All-Pro

I think we will miss all three guys lost from Defense so far, all three had positive contributions.

Wonder when we will start spending our 30 mil free cap space?

And, I am not one hoping for Romo. Though QB for sure our biggest need.

Further, pretty surprized they had a reasonable end to Osweiler story. Seemed like a nice guy so wish him well.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:04 PM
All-Pro

I hope for Romo even expecting him to play less than 6 games next year. I think this defense is so good that if we get above average playoff QB play, we could win a super bowl. You have to take a shot at the only way you get that QB play.

But don't let Romo stop you from drafting a QB on the first 2 days.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:18 AM
Administrator

I will miss Bouye, Simon, and Demps, but this was the #1 defense because of several other guys. Those guys leaving opens a door for players like Robert Nelson, Brennan Scarlett, and Eddie Pleasant. Not impressed? How impressed were you when the Texans first added Bouye, Simon, and Pleasant to the roster? I'll wait as you scroll back your memory banks to when they were signed.

And, oh yeah, they're going to get to add J.J. Watt back to a front-7 that features J.D. Clowney just now hitting his peak. Shed no tears for the Texans defense. They're fine.

If you want to wring your hands over something (besides QB, duh), then think about what's happening (or not happening) at right tackle. And TE, too. For the second straight year the team has not signed Martellus Bennett in FA, instead losing him to the Patriots and Packers, a couple teams that know a thing or two about offense.

As for TE, it has been a huge need ever since Owen Daniels left. I am optimistic about Stephen Alexander's development in the passing game, but the Texans have used him so little they seem less than enthused.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:28 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I will miss Bouye, Simon, and Demps, but this was the #1 defense because of several other guys. Those guys leaving opens a door for players like Robert Nelson, Brennan Scarlett, and Eddie Pleasant. Not impressed? How impressed were you when the Texans first added Bouye, Simon, and Pleasant to the roster? I'll wait as you scroll back your memory banks to when they were signed.

And, oh yeah, they're going to get to add J.J. Watt back to a front-7 that features J.D. Clowney just now hitting his peak. Shed no tears for the Texans defense. They're fine.

If you want to wring your hands over something (besides QB, duh), then think about what's happening (or not happening) at right tackle. And TE, too. For the second straight year the team has not signed Martellus Bennett in FA, instead losing him to the Patriots and Packers, a couple teams that know a thing or two about offense.

As for TE, it has been a huge need ever since Owen Daniels left. I am optimistic about Stephen Alexander's development in the passing game, but the Texans have used him so little they seem less than enthused.
If we sign Romo that completely prevents a Bennett signing. Bennett has spoken out loudly about his unhappiness with the Romo/Witten crowd in Dallas and how he was frozen out.

If we don't sign Romo, Bennett is not a guy I'd like to have on a team with a bad QB. Put him with a great QB and he'll be eccentric and fun. Put him with a bad QB and he'll be a constant headache.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:33 AM
All-Pro

But if I was in the mood to cherry pick Patriots front office moves, I love the Cooks trade. NE has been so bad drafting WRs, but they turned #32 and the limited impact it would have in 2017 into a really good young deep threat and YAC guy without it costing them much money in 2017. That's a smart move when your QB is 40 and you're trying to win as much as possible while he lasts.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:41 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Also, the Colts did little in the passing game against us in general last year, and even less with their RBs. What little they did get to their RBs had nothing to do with Simon. So I have no idea where this comment comes from.
Just a quick scan of the play-by-play log for the first game against the Colts last year include these entries.

1 10 HTX 26 Andrew Luck pass complete short right to Robert Turbin for 9 yards (tackle by Benardrick McKinney)

2 7 CLT 43 Andrew Luck pass complete short left to Frank Gore for 13 yards (tackle by Kevin Johnson).

2 10 HTX 34 Andrew Luck pass complete short left to Robert Turbin for -1 yards (tackle by Kevin Johnson)

2 14 CLT 17 Andrew Luck pass complete short left to Frank Gore for 2 yards (tackle by Kevin Johnson)

3 12 CLT 19 Andrew Luck pass complete short left to Robert Turbin for 2 yards (tackle by A.J. Bouye)

3 4 CLT 30 Andrew Luck pass complete short right to Robert Turbin for 12 yards (tackle by John Simon)

This on a night when Gore rushed 22 times for 106 yards.

My point being that the Colts do throw to their backs on a regular basis as part of their game plan. Neither Simon nor McKinney were all that effective in pass coverage.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:21 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I hope for Romo even expecting him to play less than 6 games next year. I think this defense is so good that if we get above average playoff QB play, we could win a super bowl. You have to take a shot at the only way you get that QB play.

But don't let Romo stop you from drafting a QB on the first 2 days.
Assuming he's willing to come to Houston and play ball what's the price tag on Romo gonna be ? 2-year deal at 15M a year front-end loaded where all of the guaranteed money hits the cap in 2017 ? That may all be moot as Romo might just up and retire now.
Even if we sign him I expect them to draft a QB this year and in the first round it they like their Board. In other words no more procrastination on drafting a young QB.
I'm starting to really like this MaHomes kid out of Texas Tech but he may be too wild and wooly for O'Brien but he's got a tremendous arm.