IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 01-06-2011, 10:51 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Thanks...that was awesome.

Doing a little dot-connecting, I am wondering about the LB and Secondary Coaches that Wade may want. Greg Manusky the D.C. of SF has LB experience in a 3-4, Reggie Herring is the LB coach in Dallas, and Cris Dishman is the Asst. Secondary Coach in S.D. Then, there is Todd Bowles of Miami, but I'm not sure if he'll be available...he may get a H.C. gig someplace or a D.C. job.
Well most likely a few of his Dallas guys would follow him, and I have Dishman on my short list for the DB coach.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Pro Bowler

Looks like Bob opened the wallet a bit to make this happen.....Sure hope it works.

From ESPN:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...cherreport.com

A source told ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton that Phillips' deal is worth $2.1 million over three years. The contract makes Phillips the highest-paid defensive coordinator in the NFL.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:11 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
A source told ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton that Phillips' deal is worth $2.1 million over three years. The contract makes Phillips the highest-paid defensive coordinator in the NFL.
Given the urgency to fix our D, I appreciate McNair shelling out the big-bucks for his new DC.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Pro Bowler

The Good 'Ol Boy concept is certainly alive and well with the Texans.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cland View Post
Not to be a Kubiak apologist... but if I could recraft the quote: ...prior to becoming the widely considered best coach in the NFL. Not saying this will happen with Mr. K, but the truth is that nobody knows.
There's a couple key differences, though:
  1. In Year 3, the Browns made the playoffs and won a playoff game. The Texans didn't make the playoffs.
  2. In Year 4, the Browns were hit with the fallout from the in-season announcement of the franchise's move to Baltimore. The Texans didn't have to deal with any distraction even close to that scale.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
There's a couple key differences, though:
  1. In Year 3, the Browns made the playoffs and won a playoff game. The Texans didn't make the playoffs.
  2. In Year 4, the Browns were hit with the fallout from the in-season announcement of the franchise's move to Baltimore. The Texans didn't have to deal with any distraction even close to that scale.
ok, just to be correct, above is off by a year, use year 4,5 not 3,4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belichick

year 1 6-10 (same)
year 2 7-9 vs 8-8
and 3 7-9 vs 8-8
year 4 11-5 vs 9-7 and to playoffs
year 5 5-11 vs 6-10
whatever, just being correct maybe
so if scoring overall 36-44 vs 37-43,
so Kubes one game better on 5 years on his first coaching assignment, likely would be more happy since had the 11-5 and one playoff appearance
Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 PM
All-Pro

main thing, would like to welcome Wade Phillips as a coach to Houston, look forward to him and players helping Texans and Houston have a great defense next year and many years to come.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:21 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
ok, just to be correct, above is off by a year, use year 4,5 not 3,4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belichick

year 1 6-10 (same)
year 2 7-9 vs 8-8
and 3 7-9 vs 8-8
year 4 11-5 vs 9-7 and to playoffs
year 5 5-11 vs 6-10
whatever, just being correct maybe
so if scoring overall 36-44 vs 37-43,
so Kubes one game better on 5 years on his first coaching assignment, likely would be more happy since had the 11-5 and one playoff appearance
And Bellichick turned out pretty good, we gotta hope Kubiac does similar soon, hopefully hiring Wade will help get us there.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Hall of Fame

I was looking at Del Rio's stats the other day:

2003 JAC 5 - 11
2004 JAC 9 - 7
2005 JAC 12 - 4, playoffs 0-1
2006 JAC 8 - 8
2007 JAC 11 - 5, playoffs 1-1
2008 JAC 5 - 11
2009 JAC 7 - 9
2010 JAC 8 - 8

Totals = 65 - 63

He's got stats similar to Kubes (average/below average) except for the obvious spikes where he went to the playoffs - twice in 8 years. According to the latest, he needs another spike really quick or he will be gone after 2011. I'd say Kubes needs a spike pretty dang quick, himself.

Fisher, Kubes, Del Rio..... the AFC South hangs on to their coaches...
Old 01-07-2011, 08:44 AM
All-Pro

I'm with Nconroe, welcome back Wade. Glad to see you finally made it back home.

On a side note, has anyone caught what Wade is doing later this month? Coaching the East-West Shrine Game. He will have hands on, in the meeting room, and on the field time with roughly 50 of the 2nd tier prospects in this years draft.

That is invaluable when it come to draft time.

I know the top guys go to the Senior Bowl, but Wade will have time with our scouts and be able to have a first hand look at the talent.

Nice gig.

Here is the current list of players for the game, doesn't look complete nor divided up by teams just yet. (bolded players I have interest in seeing play in this game)

Quote:
Name Pos. College
Mario Butler DC Ga. Institute of Technology
Adam Grant OT University of Arizona
Akeem Dent IB University of Georgia
Alex Linnenkohl OC Oregon State University
Allen Pierre DE University of Nebraska
Andrew Jackson OG Fresno State
Anthony Parker WO University of Calgary
Anthony Sherman FB University of Connecticut
Armon Binns WO University of Cincinnati
Ben Jacobs IB Fresno State
Brandon Bair DT University of Oregon
Brian Lainhart FS Kent State
Brian Rolle OB Ohio State University
Bruce Miller IB University of Central Florida
Bryant Browning OG Ohio State University
Caleb Schlauderaff OG University of Utah
Cecil Shorts WO University of Mt. Union
Charles Gantt TE Michigan State
Chris Carter OB Fresno State
Chrs Conte FS University of Calfornia
Da'rel Scott OH University of Maryland
Darrin Walls DC University of Notre Dame
David Arkin OG Missouri State
David Carter DT UCLA
David Sims SS Iowa State
Delone Carter OH Syracuse University
Demarcus Van Dyke DC University of Miami-FL
Dontay Moch OB University of Nevada
Doug Hogue OB Syracuse University
Eric Gordon SS Michigan State
Evan Royster OH Penn State University
Graig Cooper OH/PR/KR University of Miami-FL
Gregory Lloyd IB University of Connecticut
Greg Smith TE/HB/LS University of Texas-Austin
Ian William NT/DT University of Notre Dame

Name Pos. College
Jah Reid OT/OG University of Central Florida
Jeron Johnson SS Boise State
Jerrod Johnson QB Texas A & M
Johnathan Nelson SS University of Oklahoma
Joshua McNary OB Army
Justin Rogers DC University of Richmond
Justin Taplin-Ross FS University of Utah
Karl Klug DE University of Iowa
Kyle Adams TE Purdue University
Kyle Hix QT University of Texas-Austin
Lawrence Wilson IB University of Connecticut
Lester Jean WO Florida Atlantic University
Martin Parker DT University of Richmond
Marvin Austin DT University of North Carolina
Matthew O'Donnell OT Queen's University
Michael Mohamed IB University of California
Nate Williams SS University of Washington
Orie Lemon IB Oklahoma State University
Patrick Devlin QB University of Delaware
Ricky Dobbs QB U.S. Naval Academy
Ryan Bartholomew OC Syracuse University
Ryan Whalen WO Stanford University
Ryan Winterswyk DE Boise State Univerity
Scott Lutrus IB University of Connecticut
Scott Tolzien QB University of Wisconsin
Shiloh Keo SS University of Idaho
Terrance Turner WO Indiana University
Terrell McClain DT University of South Florida
Terrence Toliver WO Louisiana State University
Tyrod Taylor QB Virginia Tech
Vai Taua OH University of Nevada
William Rackley OG/C Lehigh University
Winston Venable OB Boise State University
Zachary Hurd OG University of Connecticut
Zachary Williams OG Washington State
Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Drafted Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Interesting article on the 3-4 defense from the NY times

Read the whole article to understand the concepts and the ultimate defense like New England runs.
PK, Thanks for the link here. I learned a lot from that series. Most anybody that is not directly involved in the game, like me, will learn something if they read it. For those interested, I recommend reading all 7 sections. I couldn't find the last 3 sections from the link above, so I Googled "guide to NFL defenses", opened part 7, and used the links from within the Times blog.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Regular Starter

If you want a blast from the past, here is the thread from 2 years ago on the Texans hiring Bush as the DC -

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/...read.php?t=367

Although I'm usually happy to toot my own horn, it actually depressed me to go back and read this (particularly my reservations). What depresses me even more is that the Texans appear to be conducting themselves in essentially the same manner still. Although Wade clearly has the superior resume and has some tangible results which can be pointed to, once again I see a coach and front office with absolutely no experience, much less success, on defense making up their mind before even remotely interviewing or evaluating all potential candidates. The continual failure to exercise even a little due diligence astounds me.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:45 AM
All-Pro

Well, from what I understand, they may atleast use a little methodology for picking new LB and DB coaches. Appararently Wade will get to choose a few who he thinks will be good, they will be called for interviews, then all get to agree on who those coaches are.

Similarly with defensive players, apparently Wade will have a strong part in the decisions who to get for defense starting now.

But, it was interesting reading the concerns from a couple years ago and seeing how some of those repeated this time.

And it should be great to have Wade seeing so many potential draft picks first hand at the Senior bowl.

Perhaps Wade will be a big help in our analysis of who to draft and get in FA this year, time will tell.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
If you want a blast from the past, here is the thread from 2 years ago on the Texans hiring Bush as the DC -

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/...read.php?t=367

Although I'm usually happy to toot my own horn, it actually depressed me to go back and read this (particularly my reservations). What depresses me even more is that the Texans appear to be conducting themselves in essentially the same manner still. Although Wade clearly has the superior resume and has some tangible results which can be pointed to, once again I see a coach and front office with absolutely no experience, much less success, on defense making up their mind before even remotely interviewing or evaluating all potential candidates. The continual failure to exercise even a little due diligence astounds me.
reading that sting makes me a little sick to my stomach.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
Well, from what I understand, they may atleast use a little methodology for picking new LB and DB coaches. Appararently Wade will get to choose a few who he thinks will be good, they will be called for interviews, then all get to agree on who those coaches are.

Similarly with defensive players, apparently Wade will have a strong part in the decisions who to get for defense starting now.

But, it was interesting reading the concerns from a couple years ago and seeing how some of those repeated this time.

And it should be great to have Wade seeing so many potential draft picks first hand at the Senior bowl.

Perhaps Wade will be a big help in our analysis of who to draft and get in FA this year, time will tell.
kubiak should have absolutely ZERO input as to who wade brings in
Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Pro Bowler

Wade should be able to pick his own defensive people. Kubiak has already shown he knows next to nothing about defensive personnel.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 PM
All-Pro

The head coach has to be involved in the hiring of all assistants. He has to have at least nominal say. Otherwise you end up like this year's Cowboys where the head coach is only in charge of one side of the ball and the other side's players and coaches know it. So you either fire Kubiak or you don't (and for whatever reason, we didn't). But you don't cut him off at the knees and let his staff and players know he has no real authority over half of the team.

He has to be involved in the hiring and he has to make the choices based on Wade's input (which I would expect him to follow).
Old 01-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
The head coach has to be involved in the hiring of all assistants. He has to have at least nominal say. Otherwise you end up like this year's Cowboys where the head coach is only in charge of one side of the ball and the other side's players and coaches know it. So you either fire Kubiak or you don't (and for whatever reason, we didn't). But you don't cut him off at the knees and let his staff and players know he has no real authority over half of the team.

He has to be involved in the hiring and he has to make the choices based on Wade's input (which I would expect him to follow).
whether true or not, the perception is that mcnair rbought wade in, and kubiak really didn't have any say so. i know they tried to spin it after the season like gary was interviewing him, but i don't think that was the case. that said, i don't think letting wade having complete control over the defensive coaches he brings in would cut gary off at the knees anymore than his complete ineptitude at hiring assistance has already done
Old 01-10-2011, 04:22 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadams View Post
whether true or not, the perception is that mcnair rbought wade in, and kubiak really didn't have any say so. i know they tried to spin it after the season like gary was interviewing him, but i don't think that was the case. that said, i don't think letting wade having complete control over the defensive coaches he brings in would cut gary off at the knees anymore than his complete ineptitude at hiring assistance has already done
The way to deal with ineptitude is to fire a guy. You simply cannot have an NFL head coach who is only in charge of half his staff. And if it is the case, then you better make sure only he and Wade know that. Wade is a guy who actually seems like he wouldn't take advantage of it. Especially after Garrett tanked him this season to take his job.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Regular Starter

The Texans asked the Cowboys for permission to talk to LB coach Reggie Herring and were denied.