IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Not Quite ...In the Bullseye > The Other Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Regular Starter

Looks like Kinnear is getting that new forward he wants...sounds like Ngwenya 2.0.

http://blogs.chron.com/soccer/archiv...aim_for_1.html
Old 07-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Administrator

There's some untapped potential here. Far from a complete player, but the Dynamo need finishers. I like his size, too, if he learns to use it.

Here's his goal against the Dynamo earlier this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpmAYvC2MXU

And another goal he had for the Quakes earlier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdRya0ZGheQ

I think the Dynamo gave up a first round pick for him, which I know is nothing like a first rounder in the NFL... but there's talent available in the first round. I give Dom the benefit of the doubt here though.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Craig Waibel is so ready to take Kris Brown's job. Dude made a field goal from 63 yards out, no problem.

Article: http://houston.mlsnet.com/news/team_....jsp&team=t200

Video: http://houston.mlsnet.com/media/play...e=v_free&_mp=1

Quote:
From Brown's hold, Waibel nailed field goals of 20, 25, 30, 35 and 40 yards for the first half of his intended 10 kicks.

"You have the best job in the world!" Waibel told Brown, before admitting that on-rushing NFL defenders might make a slight difference.

Moving back to 45 yards, Waibel had plenty of distance but hooked two attempts wide left before hitting successfully. He then hit a 50-yarder, setting up a 55-yarder for his 10th kick. On what was described as "the money ball," Waibel pulled his first 55-yarder just wide, but all present granted a re-kick, and he connected on his second attempt from 55 yards.

With the kicks for tickets completed, Brown told Waibel he had to try to match Brown's career best - a 57-yard kick from the right hashmark. Waibel dutifully obliged by making the kick on his first try.

The duo then moved back to the NFL record of 63 yards, held by Jason Elam and Tom Dempsey. Waibel's first attempt fell slightly short and to the left of the goalposts, but he sent his second attempt just over the crossbar, prompting Texans employees and media members alike to hold their arms aloft and signal the kick "good."

Waibel finished with a 10-of-14 rate on the day, including four of six kicks made from 50 yards or longer.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Regular Starter

much different when you have guys there trying to block it, but 63 yards is impressive nonetheless.

Superliga Semi-Final tonight.....you going Keith?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator

No, it's Telefutura for me, and my continuing adult education in trying to remember all that espanol I took in high school and college. Robertson is quite a drive for me, and I have to be up early tomorrow morning for work.

I am, however, about to call up my ticket rep with the team to round up some tickets for Saturday's match against the Crew. My Saturday evening plans just got an opening, and I need to make sure the Dynamo can make it with DeRo out for card accumulation.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
much different when you have guys there trying to block it, but 63 yards is impressive nonetheless.
Yes, much different. And I can't quite kick it like I used to, but 63 yards is pretty far away. I was one of like a hundred semi-finalists for a Meritage Homes contest a couple years ago (remember when there would be a fan attempting a field goal at halftime of a Texans game?), and I practiced in case I was picked to kick. I could make it from 35 yards no problem, but 40+ (with accuracy) was a challenge.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Yes, much different. And I can't quite kick it like I used to, but 63 yards is pretty far away. I was one of like a hundred semi-finalists for a Meritage Homes contest a couple years ago (remember when there would be a fan attempting a field goal at halftime of a Texans game?), and I practiced in case I was picked to kick. I could make it from 35 yards no problem, but 40+ (with accuracy) was a challenge.

many moons ago I was playing around and I could hit from 40-45 yards maybe a little better than 50% of the time...honestly probably a little less than that. Any farther than that was highly unlikely.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Regular Starter

great win last night. I've never had a soccer team to focus my hate on like I do in other sports....Cowboys, Jazz, Bud Adams, etc. I think Pachuca just made that list.

They got hosed on the offsides call, but anyone who has ever played even a little soccer knows that call is missed either way quite a bit. I would have been pissed too....but all the cheap shots after the ball had been cleared out of bounds in the closing minutes were uncalled for.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Dynamo are just kicking it into a higher gear that I don't think any other MLS team has. They are so deep.

Rico has been absolutely wonderful for them the last two months. The Dynamo really seemed to start clicking once he began taking over games.

The addition of Nate Jacqua has been amazing. It's like he really learned how to become a more complete player between his stints here in Houston. He put a wonderful ball into the box for Kamara tonight.

Speaking of Kamera, two goals tonight. He's a little bit of a one- or two-trick pony at times, but he's got some speed and power though. He is a matchup nightmare, especially combined with the size of Ching and Jacqua.

And to think ERob isn't all the way back... once he and Mulrooney are back to full speed, this team could put together another terrific run deep into the playoffs.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Regular Starter

I really think Kinear is a genius. I don't know how much he has to do with trades/aquisitions but it always seem they find the perfect fit....jaqua twice, kamara( keith is dead on with his speed pairing with the size of Jaqua and ching), and plenty others. His subsitutions/formation changes against Pachuca were brilliant. I'm in Germany so I've missed the last couple of matches, but once again he seems to have them ready for a run at the MLS cup.

I like what Bradley does, at least initially, with the national team. It seemed he was more willing to experiment with new players compared to the mouth breather that preceded him. I think kinear would be a fantastic with the national team....but I don't want to lose him from my home club.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Administrator

And the Dynamo just keep on rolling. Watching them wipe the Wiz 3-1 on the DVR last night helped make yesterday a little better for me. Minus DeRo, Ching, Rico, and Pat (i.e. almost half their starters, the better half), the Dyanmo still treated their opponents like they were a reserve squad.

They have a pretty substantial lead in the conference now, but I worry since the West sucks so much that they might have to play the NYRB on that turf in the first leg of the playoffs. As good as the Dynamo are, astroturf is their undoing every time.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Very entertaining game tonight in Mexico City, the Dynamo earning the unusual 4-4 draw in CONCACAF champions league play. If I'm not mistaken, it is the first result a MLS team has had on Mexican soil.

Intriguiging matchup, what with the size and set piece ability of the Dynamo versus the speed and creative play of UNAM Pumas. I think the Dynamo's SuperLiga play, albeit mostly at Robertson Stadium, really helped them tonight. They played some smart soccer in the last 20 minutes or so and even created a chance or two to steal three points.

I think competitions like these sometimes expose just how slow (and in most cases, old) the backline is. I don't know who took Eddie Robinson, but I want the old one back immediately. Just lots of flat-footed defending back there, and Jacqua, who yes I know is a forward, was nothing special defending set pieces either. I was a little surprised not to see more from Rico given how he tore up SuperLiga.

That said, guys like Kamara, Cameron, and Holden did great. Our reserves are simply amazing, and they rarely disappoint on nights like these when given then chance at more minutes. There is talk of DeRo and Jacqua leaving in the offseason (to Toronto and Seattle, respectively), and while that would suck, Kinnear has assembled more than enough depth - young depth - to keep on keeping on. I love it.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Regular Starter

Yep, fantastic game. If you would have told me we would come out of Mexico city with a point I would have taken it in a heartbeat. Watching the game it is one I feel we should have won. Our backline has major problems against faster opponets....they are slow, but some of it last night was just lack of focus. It's also amazing to me how good Jaqua can be on corners on one end, but so bad on the other. That's not his job, but there are plenty of times when we need him to defend set pieces.

I thought this was much better ref'd match than most of the Super Liga games. I thought their could have been at least a few cards handed to the Pumas for diving, but you can say that in just about every game.

I thought the tackle on Holden was pretty blatant and should have drawn a card as well. There is a pattern of hard late fouls with a high potential for injury from the Mexican clubs any time they lose or are down to a US side. That and the fact that Pumas got their first goal with Holden on the ground had me more than a little irritated. It wasn't like they played for several minutes and didn't play it out of bounds, and they were in a attacking position so I understand....but throw that in with the fact that Holden was down to a dirty tackle got me a little excited. There was no reason for our defense to be that flat footed, and Holden being on the ground really shouldn't have affected our D on that particular play. I really hope Holden's injury is not to serious.

Any time you can get any points on the road in a competition like this is a plus though. I'm really starting to like this team more with some of the younger guys on the field. I really enjoy watching guys like Cameron, Ashe, and Holden. As much as I would hate to lose D-Ro I think we are capable of filling that hole...I woulds till rather keep him though.

Kamara was fantastic last night....even if you take away his two goals. He did a beautiful job of holding possession until the attack could get organized. Another genius personnel move for the Dynamo.

I think Kinnear's next move will be to work his magic and find some youth for the backline. Hopefully Ianni develops, but it would be nice to have one more young guy back there. As much depth as I think we have at forward and especially mid-field I don't have that same comfrot level with the backline.

The schedule is brutal, but I'm pretty optimistic about our chances to gain some respect internationally in this tournament.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Regular Starter

Tonights a great chance to get 3 more points towards advancing in Champions League. I hope the weather clears out by then. If it wasn't for the weather and the late start I would probably go....I still might.

I've really gotten into this tournament....even though it's made our schedule brutal.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Regular Starter

I hate caig
Old 10-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Hou 2:1 SF

De-fureaking-Ro. 'nuf said.

This was a painfully frustrating second half to watch until DeRo did what DeRo usually does.

Caig is total rubbish. I think Ashe would have to be my MOTM, but DeRo singlehandedly saved Caig's arse here tonight. I would have loved to have gone (seemed like I could have had my pick of any seat), but these 9pm midweek international start times are just brutal for those of us with kids and jobs living an hour away.

The new CCL is the way this thing ought to be. I love watching Liverpool in the UEFA CL. SuperLiga is nice and all, but the CCL needs to be the premier midseason tournament for MLS and really all club teams in CONCACAF.

On a side note, Beckham picked up a yellow and will miss the match here (again) on 10/18. I don't have a ticket to the game only to see him (I'm there to see another win, of course), but I was kinda looking forward to it regardless. F'ing Capello picking up his old ass for England this weekend... otherwise he'd suffer his suspension this Saturday instead of next.

Speaking of... wtf MLS?? Quit scheduling games on World Cup Qualifer / FIFA weekends. Seems other leagues can figure this out. The whole MLS schedule just frustrates me. I wish they kept a calendar more like the Euros do. I'm guessing they think it's too cold to play in Boston/NY/Chicago in the winter? I dunno... sucks to have such counter-programming to the rest of the soccer world.

Lastly, have you seen the new jersey? Ugh, absolutely horrible. The lone blue sleeve is about the dumbest kit design I have seen. I was holding off on buying a long-sleeved jersey for when the new ones came out, but that's off now. No way I'm paying for that thing.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Regular Starter

I was so pissed from the Baltimore game that I made myself a whiskey drink and turned off the TV...nd completely forgot about the dynamo game until after it was over. Sounds like we outplayed them, but just couldn't convert while they made the most of their limited opportunities. I was shocked when I saw the final. There was no way I expected them to lose this game.

Oh well, maybe they get extra fired up for the Champions league now.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Administrator

waaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!

As if losing to the Ravens weren't bad enough, the Dynamo fell in a collossal upset at home to the Red Bulls, 3-0. I actually gave my Texans tickets to a friend so I could go to the Dynamo (I watched Texans on DVR afterward). STUPID MLS with their STUPID scheduling.

MLS season is over. The Dynamo still have one more game left in the CCL, 11/26 against Firpo.

If I understand this correctly, we need for Columbus to beat Chicago to ensure the Dynamo get a shot at the CCL qualifying next year.

As for the next year, I think there probably needs to be a bit of a youth movement with the squad. There are too many old legs on the back line (Wade Barrett, Richard Mulrooney, Craig Waibel) to play so many minutes. And Eddie Robinson needs to return to 2007 form ASAP. Bobby Boswell has aspirations to play overseas I think, so it will be interesting to see if he's picked up in the next transfer window... I have my doubts though.

Brian Mullan can still be a useful player for another couple years, but he had way too much PT this year at his current position. Maybe try him as a RB and free up more minutes for Geoff Cameron. Corey Ashe and Brad Davis should probably split time more evenly.

With the expected departure of Nate Jacqua to Seattle, rather than go gung-ho for another forward (unless Ngwenya somehow wants to return), instead push DeRo to play more up top and let Stuart Holden play the attacking mid more often, assuming Holden doesn't go overseas. Sign someone else to develop behind Kei Kamara (Chris Wondolowski will likely never be the answer), and give Brian Ching more rest to focus on being better for the USMNT.

Speaking of DeRosario... if Holden doesn't go anywhere, I'd consider offers to move him. Not saying I would move him to the best offer, but if there is a team willing to pay for a DP-type player in DeRo, I'd consider it.

Lastly, and goes without saying, but this team needs a better goalie to develop behind Pat Onstad than Tony Caig. The NYRB showed that there's probably some young depth on other MLS rosters, we just need to find it. Pat found the fountain of youth this year, but I don't want to bank on him being this good again in 2009, at least not for as many games he had to play in 2008.

There's the plan. Time for Firpo and the expansion draft.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Regular Starter

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I hate Tony Caig.

I'm with you about letting De-Ro play forward more and letting Holden play the attacking mid-role. Ashe and Cameron earned bigger roles next year as well.

The back line is physical, but they are getting slow. Your rioght on about getting some younger legs back there.

I have zero doubt that the dynamo will make a couple of great roster moves, and the Kinnear will get the most out of them.

Am i missing something....if we beat Firpo we advance to the quaterfinals to begin in February. What does Columbus and Chicago have to do with it?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Administrator

I'm talking about qualification for the 2009-2010 CCL, not the current one. This would make more sense if MLS played a season schedule with a calendar similar to the rest of the world (too cold in northern cities to do this though I suppose).

The MLS representation will include the Supporter's Shield winner this season (Columbus), the two MLS Cup finalists (not the Dynamo ), and I think the US Open winner (can't remember who, but it isn't the Dynamo). Well, if Columbus reaches the MLS final, they can't represent themselves twice, so my understanding is the team with the second most regular season points (which would be the Dynamo) would get to go.