IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 12-30-2017, 07:38 AM
Hall of Fame

Default O'Brien - Staying or Going?

I think this deserves a separate thread.

Rumors are picking up steam that Bill O'Brien may be let go at the end of the year. OB has come out publicly and said (paraphrasing) "I will not quit as the head coach of the Houston Texans". But that doesn't mean he'll be sticking around. Some are projecting that a "mutual parting of ways" is in the offing.

This is not without precedent. A coach on the hot seat at the end of the year is either going to get fired/released or be retained (duh!). If he's released, major changes thoughout the organization follow. If he's retained, everyone goes back to studying their cell phones.

Does OB know the ending already? Recent comments from him don't seem particularly encouraging.....
Old 12-30-2017, 11:05 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post

Rumors are picking up steam that Bill O'Brien may be let go at the end of the year.
And that's literally because I think we will find something out tomorrow night right after the Colt game or maybe just hours into 2018 early this upcoming week.
I'm not gonna be that surprised if McNair keeps O'Brien or if he fires O'Brien
but I will be totally stunned if he fires Rick Smith.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:26 PM
All-Pro

Smith's contract is through 2020 which is why I think he survives over Coach Foul Mouth who's contract runs through next season. Of course, if any chick comes out of the woodwork to say one of these two patted her on the ass, then that will make the difference.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:54 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Smith's contract is through 2020 which is why I think he survives over Coach Foul Mouth who's contract runs through next season. Of course, if any chick comes out of the woodwork to say one of these two patted her on the ass, then that will make the difference.
I'm still amused by your Trump - McCain analogy. Inserting McCain implies that one of these guys has a brain.

OF COURSE Slick Rick survives, outstanding take. Smith is like family to these Bodine boneheads. Dude got extended for making the worst signing of the last ten years, maybe longer. You don't think some addled old fool is going to fire the guy who wipes his ass and takes him to church simply because he is literally the worst GM of equal tenure that does not own the muffukin team, do you?

By the way, Buford, your absence was noted round these here parts. I figgered the revenoors done throwd you in the hoosegow agin. I'm glad Pappy'n them done paid yer bail in time for the tradishnal New Year's buzzard hunt, I shorely am.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:29 AM
Hall of Fame

I didn't particularly like that in the Pittsburgh game, I don't believe there was ever a camera shot of the McNair suite. Not there? "Hiding"?

Front office has been awful quiet lately..... not a good sign for OB....
Old 12-31-2017, 04:06 AM
All-Pro

ESPN reporting now that O'Brien will be back for 2018 and an extension may also be in the works. Perhaps a big key is the endorsement O'Brien got from Deshaun Watson. Good thing there's ONE adult in the room, even if he is the rookie quarterback.

If the little taunt was about *my* absences here, honestly, up through November, it was because I have an Astros site (www.astrosdaily.com) to run and the team were dominating the city's attention. Since November, what's been there to get excited about? 2017 - other than drafting a QB - was simply a non-year for the Texans.

It could get worse as I'm likely to change jobs soon but I do check the site almost daily.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:42 AM
All-Pro

Watson already has voiced his support for O'Brien.

"That's out of my control, but I would love to have Coach O'Brien with me," Watson said earlier this month. "We have a great relationship. Ever since the draft process, we've been communicating. We talk football, we talk about life. And we have a lot things that kind of relate, the way we were both raised up. So we kind of connected [and have] been ever since."
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ch-next-season
Yup the rook has O'Brien's back big-time. They talk football and life - not just a mentor on the gridiron but also a father figure.
You know kinda like what the Chucksters next door neighbor in River Oaks Bob McNair has been to him. Well lets hope for O'Briens sake Watson doesn't turn on him like you know who turned on McNair.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:59 PM
Regular Starter

Statement from Texans' GM Rick Smith:

"Effective immediately, I have chosen to take an extended leave of absence to focus my attention and intention on my wife's complete recovery from her recent diagnosis of breast cancer. We are faithful and trust in God's promise of healing and Wholeness. I am eternally grateful to the McNair family for their unwavering support during this trying time. This was an extremely difficult decision for me to make as I love this organization and every member of this team both on and off the field. I remain committed to our quest to bring a championship to the city of Houston, yet my family needs me now and they are my priority."
Old 12-31-2017, 04:28 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Statement from Texans' GM Rick Smith:

"Effective immediately, I have chosen to take an extended leave of absence to focus my attention and intention on my wife's complete recovery from her recent diagnosis of breast cancer. We are faithful and trust in God's promise of healing and Wholeness. I am eternally grateful to the McNair family for their unwavering support during this trying time. This was an extremely difficult decision for me to make as I love this organization and every member of this team both on and off the field. I remain committed to our quest to bring a championship to the city of Houston, yet my family needs me now and they are my priority."
Next man up. Brian Gaine is in the rumor mill.....
Old 01-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Hall of Fame

Bill O'Brien expected to sign extension with Texans

Quote:
Texans coach Bill O'Brien took a break today from "positive, productive discussions" with owner Bob McNair and vice chairman Cal McNair to meet with the media.

O'Brien wouldn't talk specifically about his contract that has one year remaining, but he's expected to sign an extension once the new general manager is hired to replace Rick Smith..................

"The McNairs are fantastic bosses, and they don't rush into anything," O'Brien said. "The talks are about what's best for this organization. There's a bright future for the organization. We're having positive, production discussions. Mr. McNair wants to win a Super Bowl and to give back to the city.

"The big thing for me and the McNairs is alignment philosophically (with new GM)."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Texans receive permission to interview Buffalo's Brian Gaine
Old 01-02-2018, 02:58 PM
All-Pro

The Rick Smith question is still outstanding, it's out there in terms of getting a definitive explanation as to when and if he returns to the Texans will he then once again have the GM job waiting for him and obviously only Bob McNair has the answer to that question.
And the answer from McNair, and only the right answer will attract qualified candidates to Houston to interview for the GM position.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:26 PM
All-Pro

I would like to see a strong-willed but not inflexible person as the GM. Many of the candidates mentioned so far seem to me to be good possibilities. Pioli is an exception. No one seems to like him anywhere he goes. It's not a popularity contest but you do have to be able to work on various fronts.

I would also like to see the owners recuse themselves from any future decision involving individual football players. No more Ed Reeds, no more BOs, find someone good, pay them properly, get the hell out of the way, do not become best friends, fire their ass if they do not produce.

I would extend BOB for two years and I would say You need to show development from Deshaun each year, no regressions, you need to win, now, I know your roster sucks but so does the division so win, at the end of your three years we need to have played in a conference championship game at a minimum.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:54 PM
All-Pro

Chuck I've got to admit I looked forward to you blasting Rick Smith despite the circumstances of his departure. I didn't think you'd go easy on a guy just because his wife is sick. I especially thought any pity you do possess would be removed by Smith mentioning God in his statement.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:03 PM
All-Pro

[QUOTE=Arky;47188]
Bill O'Brien expected to sign extension with Texans

I think that the team is looking for alignment. I am perplexed by the idea that Rick Smith is going to come back. It would make sense organizationally to close that door in terms of player personnel. You give Rick the responsibility of booking the Greenbriar and plane tickets. Setting prices for suites at NRG. But you make sure that the person who you are wanting to hire as a GM that he has the keys to the car in terms of draft picks, free agent signings, and contract extensions. I interview College Scouting Directors and Phil Savage and Mike Lombardi, any Front Office man from the Patriots. Then give them a 4-year contract with 100% roster control. I am going to also interview Packers and Ravens guys because I admire Ted Thompson and Ozzie Newsome.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:30 PM
All-Pro

I think McNair is being merciful. By keeping Smith, he allows the family to stay on the team's insurance during a very difficult and expensive time. Fighting cancer is not cheap. Once Smith is ready to deal with football again, then McNair can decide Rick's future.

I think Rick did the right thing in making this year totally about getting his wife better and McNair did the right thing making sure Rick would not have to go through the anxiety of paying bills and hunting for a new job during all of that. There's a time and a place for everything and both men are doing the right thing.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:58 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I think McNair is being merciful. By keeping Smith, he allows the family to stay on the team's insurance during a very difficult and expensive time. Fighting cancer is not cheap. Once Smith is ready to deal with football again, then McNair can decide Rick's future.

I think Rick did the right thing in making this year totally about getting his wife better and McNair did the right thing making sure Rick would not have to go through the anxiety of paying bills and hunting for a new job during all of that. There's a time and a place for everything and both men are doing the right thing.
I completely disagree. There are plenty of ways for a billionaire to cover a guys medical expenses that don't include holding Smith's return over any GM you hire. And Smith spoke up today that he's not done and he will come back. If McNair just wanted to cover his expenses there are 100 easier ways to do it.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:11 AM
All-Pro

McNair is leaving his options open, I suppose or letting Smith's fate twist in the wind for a year without knowing what his fate will be. Cancer battles changes people's focus and perhaps Smith won't have the will to go back to the job 12 months from now. You can't say.

As a cancer patient himself, maybe McNair just didn't have the nerve to kick Smith out the door at such a vulnerable time in his life.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:19 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Chuck I've got to admit I looked forward to you blasting Rick Smith despite the circumstances of his departure. I didn't think you'd go easy on a guy just because his wife is sick. I especially thought any pity you do possess would be removed by Smith mentioning God in his statement.
I don't know what sort of ogre you think I am. As a human being of course I'm sympathetic. As a follower of the Texans I would like to think that he is now completely irrelevant to me, but of course since this is the Texans and not a competently run organization, the owner refuses to provide any clarity and any prospective GM is of course going to have to deal with the specter of Slick Rick.

So who knows, it's not at all impossible that I'll get to continue to enjoy complaining about him for years to come.

And I'm still laughing my ass off that Buford thinks that Smith's getting fired means he loses his family's health coverage. And the 2018 sign-up window for the ACA has closed, more's the pity!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
"The GM is going to have full authority over personnel, and he'll report to Cal and me," McNair said. "That's our main message to potential GMs, and there's no question about it."

"Rick needs to take care of his family. Hopefully they'll get good results. Some people have raised the question if Rick comes back at the end of the year, he's going to have undue influence on the GM. That's not the case. Rick might not want to come back."

"We don't know what Rick might do. That's something we'll discuss a year from now. The only concern is to take care of his family, and we're not going beyond that."
McClain

That authority would be set out in the GM's contract, so (assuming the contract doesn't allow for it) Smith couldn't just be reinserted in the personnel power structure if he comes back. It looks to me like Smith is being given the option of either being able to look for another job when he's ready to do so, without being fired, or to come back in some football operations role that doesn't involve personnel. Keep in mind that Jamey Rootes is responsible for all business functions, so I don't know what duties that would leave. Smith's entire career has been in coaching and personnel and he's only in his late 40s so it seems unlikely that he'd be ready to permanently move to a different role.

Last edited by Warren; 01-03-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Regular Starter

Packers Director of Player Personnel Brian Gutekunst is an interesting candidate. Green Bay GM Ted Thompson was pushed into an advisory position and capologist Russ Ball is the favorite to take over. That would involve denying Gutekunst and Director of Football Operations Eliot (son of Ron) Wolf, even though they both are considered ready to be GMs and may no longer be content to wait for that job to open back up. Gutekunst was reportedly very impressive in an interview with the 49ers last year before withdrawing from consideration.

The Packers have historically used a draft-and-develop strategy and have not been big players in the free agent market. They have tended to sign free agents who had been cut by other teams because those signings don't count against them in the rules for awarding compensatory picks, and as a result have received more of those extra picks than any team but the Ravens. This philosophy has been criticized recently, which is why Thompson is out. The Texans would need to do a better job drafting, especially after the first round, to make this approach work.