IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Other 31 Teams

Old 11-23-2010, 12:03 AM
All-Pro

Default How could I forget Special Teams Coach?

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coac...0-dfbe56cdb54f

Brad Smith is a college QB who averages 28 yards per kick return. Ben Kotwica is from West Point, but I'm not going to let that cloud my judgment. Hopefully he has learned a lot from Special Teams guru Mike Westhoff.

Ben Kotwica was promoted to assistant special teams coach after two seasons as a quality control coach on defense and special teams.

◊ Joined the Jets after two seasons as the defensive coordinator at the U.S. Military Academy Preparatory School, in Monmouth, NJ.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:08 AM
All-Pro

The more I read on this the more it seems that Bud Adams is siding with VY, which could/should mean that Fisher will want out of Tennessee.

If Kubiak is fired also look for Rick Smith to go, if that is the case then we need a real GM.

IMO I would look at Floyd Reese, former GM of the Oilers/Titans and current Senior Football Advisor for the Patriots. He was hired to replace Scott Pioli.

Floyd was a position coach and scout. He is well respected and he built a Super Bowl Team for the miser Bud Adams.

Add the fact that Floyd and Fisher have worked together and their connections to Houston makes this a nice fit.

GM Floyd Reese

HC Jeff Fisher

OC Rick Dennison
Leave the rest of the offensive coaches alone

DC Chuck Cecil
AHC/LBs Mike Singletary
Secondary Marcus Robertson
Ast Secondary CBs Cris Dishman
DL Jason Fisk
Old 11-23-2010, 07:56 AM
All-Pro

I can only guess that fond Oilers memories have clouded your memory on Fisher. The guy has had his job for 17 years without a superbowl win. In fact only 5 playoff wins that entire time. And none since 2003.

Is 6 playoff appearances in 17 years really what we aspire to? I know it would be an improvement on what we have had, but for me it really is superbowl or bust.

If we are going to hire a re-tread coach why not hire one with a superbowl win.

Or go with a guy who is fresh.

To me it is either Cowher, Dungy (if we have a miracle up our sleeves), Harbaugh if we want to roll the dice and try for a guy who may be great, or the top defensive assistant who can compliment our offense the way Dungy/Gruden came into teams who already had one side of the ball figured out.

But if you told me the Texans weren't going to win a superbowl in the next 17 years but they would make the playoffs 5 times, I wouldn't take it.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:06 AM
All-Pro

In defense of Fisher, he has had to do all of that with Bud Adams as the owner. I suspect he could do a lot more with a guy like Bob McNair making it possible.

In addition, Fisher is definitely a defensive coach with defensive coach's mentality. And what exactly do the Texans lack? 1) a defense and 2) toughness. Fisher would insist we had both. Plus we have talent on our front seven but we still aren't able to stop teams. I've never seen a Fisher team who wouldn't sell out to stop an opponent.

I'd move him to the front of my candidate list if he became available.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Add the fact that Floyd and Fisher have worked together and their connections to Houston makes this a nice fit.
Reese and Fisher didn't part ways on the best of terms; the story was that Fisher won a power struggle. Reese's wife described the situation as more of a backstabbing than a battle. I'd have interest in both of those guys, but it doesn't look like the combination would work.

Like Bob said, Fisher would bring many of the qualities that the current staff lacks. He's gotten a lot out of the talent he's had (and the organization he's worked for) and he generally hires quality assistants -- Gregg Williams, Jim Schwartz, Norm Chow, Mike Muchak, Jim Washburn (not a big name but consistently makes productive DLs out of the likes of Jason Babin), etc.

I haven't looked closely back at Reese's track record but I remember it being pretty solid with more hits than misses. The fact that he's been working for the Patriots boosts his stock in my eyes.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:51 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Reese and Fisher didn't part ways on the best of terms; the story was that Fisher won a power struggle. Reese's wife described the situation as more of a backstabbing than a battle. I'd have interest in both of those guys, but it doesn't look like the combination would work.
I was not aware of the falling out between the two men. I thought it had to do with Reese not wanting the VY pick and Bud forcing that on him and the team.

Your version seems to have much better sources.

So then bring in Reese and let him hire the HC, like most great organizations do. They let the GM be the boss.

If you are not going to go with a guy like Reese, then throw money at Bill Parcells.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
I thought it had to do with Reese not wanting the VY pick and Bud forcing that on him and the team.
The story I heard about that draft was that Reese wanted Cutler, Fisher and Chow wanted Lienart, but Bud wanted VY. Who knows, maybe that did play into Bud's eventual decision to get rid off Reese.

If Bud backs VY over Fisher, and he's given that indication so far, I bet that he just doesn't can Fisher, especially if he thinks Houston is interested. He's going to try to milk compensation out of the situation, like the Raiders got for Gruden and the Jets got for Belichick and later Herman Edwards.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:49 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Some Dolphins AHC/DB coach Todd Bowles -- Parcells protege
Browns DC Rob Ryan -- based on his twin brother's success and recent signs of life in Cleveland. The Ryan style would seem to be a "programmatic non-fit" with Bob McNair.
Iowa HC Kirk Ferentz -- the Texans reportedly wanted to talk to him during their last HC search
Stanford HC Jim Harbaugh
I have loved Rob Ryan for years...perhaps it's because he's a hard-ass biker-looking dude who likes to blitz! I'm concerned he may be like Singletary and Mike Nolan (better coordinator than Head Coach). Todd Bowles is VERY intriguing because I think anyone that Parcells brings into his inner circle has ability. Might want him to just be the Defensive Coordinator though at first and groom him. Jim Harbaugh is a favorite, because I liked him as a player at Michigan and Indy. However, out of your list here - Kirk Ferentz has the most 'Head Coach' Vibe to me. Ferentz also has a lot of 'connections' to other pro-coaches, so it's not like he's just another college football coach who will be overwhelmed by the Pro game. Also, his 'good ole boys' network might be a formidable staff of position coaches. You start connecting Ferentz to guys like Bob Sutton, Dean Pees, Greg Mattison, Brian Ferentz(coming off the Parcells/Belichick coaching tree) and I get excited. Team that up with Floyd Reese and you have a winning combo. Peyton Manning is 6-10 against the Patriots, just to remind you.

The "issue" is getting Capt. Kirk to take the job....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Ferentz
Many major college and NFL teams have considered Ferentz as a candidate for their head coaching jobs. However, Ferentz has publicly declined any interest in other coaching positions, opting to stay at Iowa. On February 12, 2009, Ferentz and Iowa athletics director Gary Barta agreed to a new contract extension that keeps Ferentz at Iowa until 2015.[2]

On January 2, 2006 the head coaches of five NFL teams, Green Bay, St. Louis, Houston, New Orleans, and Minnesota, were fired. There was renewed speculation that Ferentz would be offered a head coaching job with one of those professional franchises. But such speculation was soon put to rest when Ferentz stated that he was still happy with his job at Iowa, and that he had no plans to leave.[3]

On June 2, 2006, Ferentz became the highest paid coach in the Big Ten and third highest in college football when he was given a restructured contract that boosted his annual salary to $2.7 million.[4]

Following the 2006 NFL season, rumors circulated that Ferentz may have been in consideration for the Pittsburgh Steelers' head coaching job after Bill Cowher stepped down. However, before Cowher's departure, Ferentz was asked about his possible interest in the position, and stated: “I know that staff pretty well and they’ve got some good guys in that building. My guess is that's where they would go. But I’m not interested, and I doubt they are, either. I’ve got a great job right here.”[5] The Steelers job eventually went to Mike Tomlin.

In 2008, Ferentz was again rumored to be a candidate for an NFL head coaching job, particularly as successor to Romeo Crennel for the Cleveland Browns.[6]

In January 2009, rumors surfaced citing Ferentz as a potential candidate to be hired as head coach in place of Herman Edwards soon after the hiring of former New England Patriots VP of Player Personnel Scott Pioli as the new GM of the Kansas City Chiefs. However, the Chiefs eventually hired Todd Haley, and Ferentz received a contract extension to remain at Iowa through 2015.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Regular Starter

Here's an article that covers some of the assistants mentioned on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
However, out of your list here - Kirk Ferentz has the most 'Head Coach' Vibe to me. Ferentz also has a lot of 'connections' to other pro-coaches, so it's not like he's just another college football coach who will be overwhelmed by the Pro game. Also, his 'good ole boys' network might be a formidable staff of position coaches. You start connecting Ferentz to guys like Bob Sutton, Dean Pees, Greg Mattison, Brian Ferentz(coming off the Parcells/Belichick coaching tree) and I get excited. Team that up with Floyd Reese and you have a winning combo. Peyton Manning is 6-10 against the Patriots, just to remind you.
I liked Ferentz the last time around and would definitely have him on my short list again if he's ready to move. Iowa typically doesn't attract the blue chip recruits in droves so Ferentz must be able to spot and/or develop talent. He has a solid track record of producing guys like Dallas Clark (a former walk-on LB), Bob Sanders (only scholarship offers were from Iowa and Ohio), Chad Greenway (played 9-man football in South Dakota), and a number of OL who were coverted from TE (Eric Steinbach, Robert Gallery, Bruce Nelson).

The rumor back in the day was that Ferentz would want to pick his own personnel guy, and then-Ravens director of player personnel Phil Savage was linked to him because they'd worked together in Cleveland. Since then Savage has been GM of the Browns with mixed, at best, results and is now a consultant with the Eagles. Ferentz has never worked with Reese but they do have a mutual friend in Belichick.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:45 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Here's an article that covers some of the assistants mentioned on this thread.

The rumor back in the day was that Ferentz would want to pick his own personnel guy, and then-Ravens director of player personnel Phil Savage was linked to him because they'd worked together in Cleveland.
I have been and continue to be a huge fan of Phil Savage. Getting him to run the talent acquisition would be a step up in my opinion.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:35 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
I have been and continue to be a huge fan of Phil Savage. Getting him to run the talent acquisition would be a step up in my opinion.
IMO hire both Floyd Reese to be the VP of Pro Personnel and General Manager and Phil Savage to be VP of College Scouting/Draft
Then Let Reese hire the next HC.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:11 PM
All-Pro

Brian Van Gorder DC for the Falcons should be on the interview list. He has been a college HC on two occasions. And his defense has progressed each year he has been the DC in Atlanta.

Mike Smith has been one of the most progressive HC in the league when it comes to training and I would hope that some of that has rubbed off on Gorder.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The more I read on this the more it seems that Bud Adams is siding with VY, which could/should mean that Fisher will want out of Tennessee.

If Kubiak is fired also look for Rick Smith to go, if that is the case then we need a real GM.

IMO I would look at Floyd Reese, former GM of the Oilers/Titans and current Senior Football Advisor for the Patriots. He was hired to replace Scott Pioli.

Floyd was a position coach and scout. He is well respected and he built a Super Bowl Team for the miser Bud Adams.

GM Floyd Reese

HC Jeff Fisher

OC Rick Dennison
Leave the rest of the offensive coaches alone

DC Chuck Cecil
AHC/LBs Mike Singletary
Secondary Marcus Robertson
Ast Secondary CBs Cris Dishman
DL Jason Fisk
I respect Floyd Reese, but wasn't a guy named Diamond the true architect of the Tack's SB year? Reese was just his assistant. He is just a frontman for the real guru of the Patriots, Bill Bellicek.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I respect Floyd Reese, but wasn't a guy named Diamond the true architect of the Tack's SB year? Reese was just his assistant. He is just a frontman for the real guru of the Patriots, Bill Bellicek.
Jeff Diamond was President and Chief Operating Officer while Reese was Executive VP and GM (with the Director of Football Operations title added the next year). It's hard to say who really did what but based on the titles my guess is that Reese did the hands-on personnel work while Diamond oversaw all aspects of the team, including both football and business matters. FWIW, the Titans' president before and after Diamond was Bud himself.

Belichick is clearly calling the shots for the Patriots but I'd consider having worked in that system to be a big plus for Reese as a GM candidate. Former Patriot front office guys like Scott Pioli and Thomas Dimitroff have had more success than former Patriot assistant coaches.