IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Not Quite ...In the Bullseye > The Other Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Regular Starter

Default Franchises on the Move: Leave the Mascot Behind?

does anyone else believe that if a team moves they should be forced by whatever league to abandon team name, team logos, team colors and whatever else anyone can think of?

i think the seattle supersonics owner just had to give all of that up to get his franchise/players moved to oklahoma. serves the basketball community of seattle justice in my book. it's their team, they know who and what they are....they just don't know when they'll be seeing them again!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:42 PM
All-Pro

Well, "Oklahoma City SuperSonics" is a bit of a mouthful, not to mention an oxymoron. I'm still scratching my head over this one. It makes as much sense as leaving the nation's fourth largest city for some Tennessee backwater.

Then again, the "Utah Jazz" has survived now for three decades (for you young guys, they were the "New Orleans Jazz" back in the day - does the name make some sense now?) and that name makes as much sense as "Los Angeles Lakers" which is at least alliterative if inaccurate. In fact, it would make more sense to have the "Utah Lakers" and the "Los Angeles Jazz".

Here's an even better idea: Let's return the name "Jazz" back to New Orleans, move "Lakers" to Utah, move "Hornets" to Oklahoma City (although "Tornadoes" would be my preference) and "SuperSonics" to Los Angeles. Myabe L.A. can't do much with "Sonics" but I'm sure they could do something with "Super".

Last edited by HPF Bob; 07-08-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Regular Starter

hahaha...the l.a. ssssssssssssssuper-team!!! ::wrists everywhere go limp::

i feel like watching the first segment of baseketball. it explains all of this awesomely. "the houston oilers moved to tennessee where there is no oil, the new orleans jazz moved to utah where they don't allow music..."

for oklahoma's new team...tornadoes is good, a little predictable but good. i would suggest maybe the oklahoma city "holes in the ground" or maybe the "f-ing dust bowls" or even the oklahoma city "worst place to be ever".

seriously though, i hate oklahoma and most of the stuff in it.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:32 PM
All-Pro

The NBA filed patent rights for six different team names for the transplanted Oklahoma City franchise. The candidates:

Oklahoma City Barons
Oklahoma City Bison (no plural)
Oklahoma City Energy
Oklahoma City Marshalls (plural)
Oklahoma City Thunder
Oklahoma City Wind

My thoughts: Energy is a crappy name. That's what they name Arena League and WNBA teams. Thunder and Wind aren't much better. (I can see headline writers now making comments about "Breaking Wind".) Wind also sounds like this new cockamamie scheme by T. Boone Pickens who has his name all over Stillwater.

Bisons make me think of that front line for the Rockets back around 1978 which were dubbed the "Water Buffaloes" because all three were big, black and slow. Too racist. That won't stick. Barons would be cool if they are able to get Baron Davis in a trade. Otherwise, they might as well be called the Durants.

Marshalls sounds like law enforcement, not to mention a cheap clothing store chain so this has to be the favorite here. Only problem is that it doesn't roll off the tongue that well.

You'd think "Claim Jumpers" would be a natural and no more syllables than "Super Sonics". Everyone would start calling them the "Jumpers" which would be a good name for a baseketball team, not to mention the obvious marketing tie-in with auto parts stores.

For you guys not up on their state history, "Sooners" were essentially claim jumpers and since Oklahomans seem to have no shame over that seeing as it is the nickname of the state university, "Claim Jumpers" is simply another way of stating the same thing.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
The NBA filed patent rights for six different team names for the transplanted Oklahoma City franchise. The candidates:

Oklahoma City Barons
Oklahoma City Bison (no plural)
Oklahoma City Energy
Oklahoma City Marshalls (plural)
Oklahoma City Thunder
Oklahoma City Wind

My thoughts: Energy is a crappy name. That's what they name Arena League and WNBA teams. Thunder and Wind aren't much better.
my thoughts exactly as i read the list. wind is lame but a very accurate, descriptive name. marshalls would be a little weird but okay. bison is...not....really....a sports name...barons probably gets my vote out of these. how 'bout something OK has a lot of....OK city scorpions?