IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Not Quite ...In the Bullseye > The Other Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Regular Starter

Default Something Big for the Rockets?

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rock...277798-34.html

let's hope so. i know, i know it's the summer league but c'mon....the kid can play. i heard on the radio this morning he was 12/20 from the field and 11/12 from the line. pretty good but i don't think t-mac is about to let someone else have 20 shots haha...if he keeps putting it down like this i think we should be expecting him to make the team and in a significant role. i think he would automatically reduce luther head to 3rd string 2-guard especially with his length. if he can play backup to tmac and be the scoring where the scoring is not then he would be a great pickup.

not such a glamorous report for aaron brooks though. 9 personal fouls and 6 turnovers? 9?! how many do you get?! i really hope he does well, with his speed he gets around anybody for a layup, pesty defense, great handles, great range-shot...sigh really i just root for the "under 6 foot" group of the nba for keeping my dream alive hahahahaha.....
Old 07-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Regular Starter

Heck yeah, something really big for the Rockets.

Ron Artest for Bobby Jackson, Donte Green and a 2009 #1. Great job by Daryl Morey. That is a heist. Who is the GM of the kings, Charlie Casserly?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Regular Starter

i'm not flipping for the deal but it is pretty much in our favor at this point. ron artest is bonified. it sucks to have to give up 2 firsts including the pick you just made and signed but....ron artest, tracy mcgrady, yao ming, luis scola, rafer alston. i'm good with that starting lineup and having brooks, novak (who needs to get minutes already), landry, dorsey and i suppose luther head off the bench. oh yea, and shane "the defense" battier too.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Regular Starter

I think it is way in our favor. Especially since we will have the "Bird" rights on Artest after this year and he LOVES Adelman.

Ron Artest will not take any crap from the Jazz. Dorsey and Artest and no more Mr. Nice guy Rockets. Let's hope the other "Ronnie" keeps his head on straight and this is a great deal. I am not concerned about giving up a 19 year old and a late #1, especially when Morey has shown the flair to manipulate the draft so far.

I might be on board for a mini-plan to secure playoff Rocket tickets. Woa boy. Calm down, no Rockets until after we are done with the Texans in January.. Hopefully.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:51 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Who is the GM of the kings, Charlie Casserly?
Heck no. Casserly would have released Artest with no compensation whatsoever as a good faith gesture to future free agents while acquiring Bobby Jackson for a pair of seconds, a third, a fourth, a couple of Latvians and a Brazilian to be named later while explaining that second-rounders never develop into starters so he thinks he made a great deal.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Regular Starter

I like Artest because he apparently got into it with Jazz fans. If you compare him vs. Bobby Jackson we came out ahead. Green was a year or two away from helping, but it would have been nice to hang onto him. Not concerned about the first next year.

The Rockets are obviously going for it. I think the team is better with the trade....I just hope Artest takes all his meds. Even if he doesn't charge into the stands, or get in trouble I worry that he sometimes just dumps the offense and does his own thing....that's the last thing the Rockets need.

I have a feeling it's going to be a great success, or a miserable failure.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I think it is way in our favor. Especially since we will have the "Bird" rights on Artest after this year and he LOVES Adelman.

Ron Artest will not take any crap from the Jazz. Dorsey and Artest and no more Mr. Nice guy Rockets. Let's hope the other "Ronnie" keeps his head on straight and this is a great deal. I am not concerned about giving up a 19 year old and a late #1, especially when Morey has shown the flair to manipulate the draft so far.

I might be on board for a mini-plan to secure playoff Rocket tickets. Woa boy. Calm down, no Rockets until after we are done with the Texans in January.. Hopefully.
uh...what are the "bird" rights?

not only will ron artest not be taking crap from the jazz, he's most likely not going to be taking crap from anybody including the rockets. hopefully this is the end of mcgrady's 7/26 shooting nights and hopefully mcgrady realizes this is the end of him shooting 26 shots per night.

i know it's still too early for green but good trades usually have to hurt a bit to get what you want. honestly i think i might've expected more to go the kings' way than as is. bobby jack is a nobody, an old one at that, daunte green is a nobody, yet young and full of promise and you're absolutely on target with morey's draft day prowess.

this one trade and picking dorsey have filled tremedous voids in our team this offseason. we've got another good ball-handler, a slasher, a scorer, another tenacious defender, a clutch shooter, some of that needed on-the-court attitude....all without giving away scola, landry, head, brooks or anybody that actually mattered. go rockets!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Heck no. Casserly would have released Artest with no compensation whatsoever as a good faith gesture to future free agents while acquiring Bobby Jackson for a pair of seconds, a third, a fourth, a couple of Latvians and a Brazilian to be named later while explaining that second-rounders never develop into starters so he thinks he made a great deal.
burn points= +12
victim status= megaburned
action taken= victim DOA, no ressucitation effort necessary
secondary action= *reminder* don't ever cross hpf bob
Old 07-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Regular Starter

definition of "Bird rights."

Larry Bird exception
Perhaps the most well-known of the NBA's salary cap exceptions, it is so named because the Boston Celtics were the first team permitted to exceed the salary cap to re-sign one of their own players (in that case, Larry Bird). Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "qualifying veteran free agents" or "Bird Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception falls under the auspices of the Veteran Free Agent exception. In a nutshell, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Regular Starter

oh wow. that's cool but i'm not so sure les alexander wants another max contract on his hands....maybe winning that championship will loosen everybody up!!

i can't wait to see how adelman is going to play this team. there is a great balance of offense a defense, so i wonder if the lineups (particularly the starting and finishing lineups) will represent that fact. i could see starting/playing dorsey with yao as his own personal bodyguard to give out at least as many bruises as yao gets. maybe you end it with yao, battier, artest, mcgrady, alston? that's some tough mud for a 4th quarter. they have size from big to small, legitimate inside and outside shooters, lock-down as lock-down can get defenders and we're still trying to sign deke who continued to defy age until the last horn sounded. it's august and i'm pumped about basketball. first time for everything...

Last edited by KJ3; 08-01-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Veteran Depth

I had no idea that Artest qualified all the way up to a max deal. That's fantastic news, not because I think we'll have to give him that, but if it works out and he fits like I think he's going to, It's good to know that we have the power to match any offer that's thrown at him should he test the free agent waters.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Regular Starter

yea, i'm not very adept at following how contracts and such work out...if i were i would probably want to get paid for it...but the bird rights on artest should give us an option worth having a look at.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
All-Pro

Rockets preseason about to begin, so far everyone is saying the right things. looks like we got a lot of the right pieces and plenty to look forward to.