IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 10-07-2018, 09:59 PM
Hall of Fame

Texans bad play in the red zone continues - settle for a Fairbairn 19-yard FG.

Texans 16, Cowboys 13

8:31 left in the game.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:06 PM
Hall of Fame

Cowboys answer with a 48-yard FG by Maher.

Texans 16, Cowboys 16

5:39 left in the game.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:26 PM
All-Pro

Roughing the passer in the NFL really is overtly racist. I get when running QBs don't get calls in running or semi-running situations. But Watson just sat in the pocket and got drilled in the face. I've seen that exact call half a dozen times this year. I saw that call repeatedly last year before the new emphasis. Watson gets drilled on calls that white QBs routinely get, and it's disappointing to see. It's full Cam Newton treatment.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:46 PM
Hall of Fame

Fairbairn connects on a 36-yard FG to give the Texans the win in OT.

Final score:

Texans 19, Cowboys 16
Old 10-07-2018, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Watson gets drilled on calls that white QBs routinely get, and it's disappointing to see. It's full Cam Newton treatment.
I coulda sworn I saw Watson take a helmet-to-helmet hit and of course no flag.

For the second straight week, O'Brien matched wits with a more witless head coach than him. Burning TOs, strange playcalling… but Garrett's decision to punt on 4th and short in Texans territory in OT was not 'playing to win the game'.

That said, I could exceed the character limit detailing all of O'Brien' questionable decisions in this game.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:20 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I coulda sworn I saw Watson take a helmet-to-helmet hit and of course no flag.

For the second straight week, O'Brien matched wits with a more witless head coach than him. Burning TOs, strange playcalling… but Garrett's decision to punt on 4th and short in Texans territory in OT was not 'playing to win the game'.

That said, I could exceed the character limit detailing all of O'Brien' questionable decisions in this game.
Compare the way flags fly on Kirk Cousins and Deshaun Watson. And I'm not talking about Watson going head first to try to score. Just sitting in the pocket getting 2 handed whacks to the face. The guy gets hit late. Hit in the head. Hit out of bounds. And never a call.

I agree on O'Brien. He's been slightly smarter than the opposing dummy 2 straight weeks.

As for the Cowboys punt, that's a good decision. Their offense was atrocious all game. Our offense failed to score TDs while theirs just failed. If you convert and get another first down you are in FG range and not much has changed. We still get the ball with a chance to tie or win. If you don't convert you are completely giving away the game. By punting they put us on the 10 yard line with 4 minutes left and they have 2 timeouts. Punting and getting a stop gives you more than enough time to win.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Love beating the Cowboys....

-----------------------------------------------

Obviously, something needs to be done about the red zone execution. Texans were 1/6 in the red zone. Why is it always a run up the middle or a pass into high traffic? Run off tackle, pitch out, roll-out - many unused options.....

Some extreme adjustments need to be taken to keep Watson alive for the rest of the season. He'll never make it at this rate....

I'm seeing an early line of the Texans favored by 8˝ to 10 pt favorite over the Bills next week which is just silly. Every Texan game so far has been decided by 7 pts or less.....
Old 10-07-2018, 11:58 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Love beating the Cowboys....

Obviously, something needs to be done about the red zone execution. Texans were 1/6 in the red zone. Why is it always a run up the middle or a pass into high traffic? Run off tackle, pitch out, roll-out - many unused options.....

Some extreme adjustments need to be taken to keep Watson alive for the rest of the season. He'll never make it at this rate....

I'm seeing an early line of the Texans favored by 8˝ to 10 pt favorite over the Bills next week which is just silly. Every Texan game so far has been decided by 7 pts or less.....
Almost all of the punishment Watson took tonight was on plays he decided to scramble and then put his shoulder down. Very few hits in the pocket. The OL was actually not bad tonight. The best adjustment Watson can make is to slide, run out of bounds, throw the ball away, etc... Just tell him to watch Russell Wilson game tape for how to finish a QB run. That guy is a master of making the defense chase him for 50 yards of zig zagging only to escape the hit in the end with one of the many options open to QBs who want to escape hits.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:39 AM
Administrator

First blush, the OL wasn't bad, but I wouldn't say they were good, either. Some credit is owed to the Cowboys defense... they aren't bad. But the Texans seem to be increasing the shotgun snaps and deep drops in recognition of their subpar OL pass pro. Could be helping Watson improve his pocket vision as well. Regardless, I think it is contributing to the redzone offensive woes, kinda like the Oilers back in the red gun/run n' shoot days.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:53 AM
All-Pro

Wow talk about coming back from the dead.
After that 0-3 start I figured that was it for 2018, but now after two straight
wins and the rest of the division losing yesterday we are now just a game out of the division lead.
So expectations for a Super Bowl appearance now ? Hardly but atleast we've got something to play for in the upcoming weeks.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:01 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Wow talk about coming back from the dead.
After that 0-3 start I figured that was it for 2018, but now after two straight
wins and the rest of the division losing yesterday we are now just a game out of the division lead.
So expectations for a Super Bowl appearance now ? Hardly but atleast we've got something to play for in the upcoming weeks.
Yep. Wait a day or so after an ugly win and it's indistinguishable from any other win. Especially in the small sample sized 16 game NFL schedule. In December nobody cares how you won your games, and the Texans did exactly what they needed to in the last two weeks. If they don't fix some of the problems then those wins won't mean what they could, but they saved their season for now.