IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2012, 01:16 AM
All-Pro

Draftek will let you play with a team's priorities.

I changed a few, particularly downgrading ILB after recent developments. and it came up with:

26. Andre Branch, 34OLB, Clemson
58. Marvin Jones, WR, California
76. Mitchell Schwartz, OT, California
99. DaJohn Harris, 34DE, USC
121. Lucas Nix, OG, Pittsburgh
161. James Michael Johnson, ILB, Nevada
195. Aaron Henry, FS, Wisconsin
233. Evan Rodriguez, FB-TE, Temple

Hmmm. Fits the formula well even though, as Roy would say, these aren't "my guys". Rodriguez in the 7th, though, is your classic good hands hybrid H-back who could take Casey's place if we ask Casey to take Dreesen's place. Not really a solid blocker though. More the receiver type.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
26 Dont'a Hightower Alabama SILB
58 Marvin Jones California WRF
76 Jonathan Massaquoi Troy OLB34
99 Matt McCants UAB LOT
121 Matt Conrath Virginia DE34
161 Brandon Brooks Miami (OH) OG
195 Ishmaa'ily Kitchen Kent State DT34
233 Asa Jackson Cal Poly CB

I still think they are overvaluing the Texans need at ILB.
Looks like somebody else noticed the Cal receiver before I did. It'll be interesting to see where and when he actually goes in the Draft next week ?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:08 PM
All-Pro

Here is a question for those who have really done their homework (I have not).

Stephen Hill makes me nervous as a GT WR considering how little they throw the ball and the limited experience and route tree. But then I considered the blocking expectations and requirements made of WRs on the Texans. So the question is whether Hill is considered a superior blocker at the WR position. I know he had to be called on to block on 90% of his snaps so I wonder if it translates to superior technique/willingness.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Pro Bowler

But that is the reason he will be there when it's our turn to draft. If he is still there, I would have no qualms taking him. His potential is off the chart.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
But that is the reason he will be there when it's our turn to draft. If he is still there, I would have no qualms taking him. His potential is off the chart.
Potential is a scary word, remember the saying from B. Billick:
"He is an intriguing prospect. He has great potential. But you know, just remember, the old saying, 'Son, your potential is going to get me fired.'"
Super Bowl winning coach Brian Billick.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Here is a question for those who have really done their homework (I have not).

Stephen Hill makes me nervous as a GT WR considering how little they throw the ball and the limited experience and route tree. But then I considered the blocking expectations and requirements made of WRs on the Texans. So the question is whether Hill is considered a superior blocker at the WR position. I know he had to be called on to block on 90% of his snaps so I wonder if it translates to superior technique/willingness.
I haven't necessarily done my homework but the Cliff's Notes that I've read say he's a physical, aggressive blocker. Randle is considered a good blocker but Wright is supposed to be pretty mediocre.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I haven't necessarily done my homework but the Cliff's Notes that I've read say he's a physical, aggressive blocker. Randle is considered a good blocker but Wright is supposed to be pretty mediocre.
That makes me feel better about him as a potential pick. At least I know he won't be kept off of the field for not blocking like we expect.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Pro Bowler

Default Sporting News

I don't know about you guys, but I'm just about mocked out. Looking forward to something else to read about....

Don't recall seeing this name before:

26. Houston Texans: Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State
Sources tell us the Texans are more confident in Rashad Butler playing right tackle this season than they are with Antoine Caldwell at guard, so they select Silatolu to handle that spot.

Russ Lande
Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...#ixzz1sUwAj0ja
Old 04-19-2012, 11:07 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post

26. Houston Texans: Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State
Sources tell us the Texans are more confident in Rashad Butler playing right tackle this season than they are with Antoine Caldwell at guard, so they select Silatolu to handle that spot.
I guess we are back to first-round choices with more vowels than consonants in their first name like Mario, Amobi and Duane. We were doing pretty well with Brian and J.J....
Old 04-19-2012, 12:08 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I guess we are back to first-round choices with more vowels than consonants in their first name like Mario, Amobi and Duane. We were doing pretty well with Brian and J.J....
Excellent point. Save the players with vowel heavy first names for undrafted free agency where the team has a sterling track record.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMH View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I'm just about mocked out. Looking forward to something else to read about....
Not to insult anyone (to each their own) because I know it's fun for some, but I've always found any and all mocks senseless for the obvious reasons. Fun reading the ones that have in-depth player profiles, but the pick slotting is pretty useless and borders on silly beyond the first 5 or so picks.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:50 PM
All-Pro

I'm just thankful that we're finally good enough to be picking a few hours after the draft begins. Picking early was fun but I kinda like picking late for depth instead of picking early for need.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Pro Bowler

Silatolu would be nice in the 3rd round or so, but I am hoping for an athletic OT or TE in the 2nd. I am like most of you, I am tired of waiting.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Silatolu would be nice in the 3rd round or so, but I am hoping for an athletic OT or TE in the 2nd. I am like most of you, I am tired of waiting.
3rd round ? Why wait, why not use our 1st round pick on him ?
Seriously we know that's not going to happen, but there was a mock-drafter on 790 today who made just that prediction. Check the link for his mock:
http://www.russlande.com/2012-mock-draft/
Old 04-20-2012, 04:29 AM
All-Pro

Leave it to Mel Kiper to come up with the most puzzling Texans draft projection:

1. Bobby Massie OT, Mississippi
2. Alshon Jeffrey, WR, South Carolina
3. Bobby Wagner, ILB, Utah St.

CBS Sports also notes that the Texans are unlikely to choose OT Mike Adams of Ohio State due to character issues and also claims that Kendall Wright has fallen all the way down to 3rd round territory due to slow 40 times and high body fat.

Don't forget, this is NFL disinformation season so don't believe much of what is reported. Surely, there will be some legit surprises on draft day(s) but there's also a lot of hogwash going around.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:02 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Leave it to Mel Kiper to come up with the most puzzling Texans draft projection:

1. Bobby Massie OT, Mississippi
2. Alshon Jeffrey, WR, South Carolina
3. Bobby Wagner, ILB, Utah St.

CBS Sports also notes that the Texans are unlikely to choose OT Mike Adams of Ohio State due to character issues and also claims that Kendall Wright has fallen all the way down to 3rd round territory due to slow 40 times and high body fat.

Don't forget, this is NFL disinformation season so don't believe much of what is reported. Surely, there will be some legit surprises on draft day(s) but there's also a lot of hogwash going around.
The best was a few years back when somebody tried leaking concerns that Adrian Peterson was too dumb to play RB so everyone should just let him slip.

I think it is pathetic that teams covertly rip guys in the media to try to make them fall to them.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 AM
All-Pro

I believe the reports that Wright is dropping. And if John McClain is to be believed, the Texans will not go WR in the first. The only OLB I would currently be in favor of would be Perry or McClellin . As for other position in the first I don't see the value at 26. I could see Rick Smith trading down.

I'm on vacation this week, just left Canton, on my way to Cooperstown on Monday. I'll be back on Friday or Saturday, so my post will be spotty this week. Hope I'm happy with the early draft picks or I will wear this phone out
Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 AM
All-Pro

I've been to both Hall of Fames and they are a great experience although the baseball hall was the better exhibit. Great time of year to see them when the weather is warm but not hot and not chilly. The difference between the two? The Pro Football Hall still proudly displays the bust of O.J. Simpson while the Baseball Hall won't even allow Pete Rose.

Last edited by HPF Bob; 04-21-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I believe the reports that Wright is dropping. And if John McClain is to be believed, the Texans will not go WR in the first. The only OLB I would currently be in favor of would be Perry or McClellin . As for other position in the first I don't see the value at 26. I could see Rick Smith trading down.

I'm on vacation this week, just left Canton, on my way to Cooperstown on Monday. I'll be back on Friday or Saturday, so my post will be spotty this week. Hope I'm happy with the early draft picks or I will wear this phone out
There are also reports that C. Upshaw is dropping. If true, and he's still there when we are up, I have a hard time seeing us pass on him, if in fact OLB is our target in the 1st. Championship pedigree , SEC, and dominated talents like Massie last year.

Enjoy you're vacation.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:04 PM
All-Pro

Default Draftsite.com 4/21 mock

1. (26) Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan St. (my choice: Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama)
2. (58) Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida St. (my choice: Sanders)
3. (76) Antonio Allen, S, South Carolina (my choice: Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa)
4a. (99) Eric Page, WR, Toledo (my choice: Josh Chapman, DT, Alabama)
4b. (121) Travis Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma (my choice: Mike Brewster, C-G, Ohio St.)
5. (151) Darron Thomas, QB, Oregon (my choice: Tony Dye, SS, UCLA)
6. (195) Micah Pellerin, CB, Hampton (my choice: Demario Davis, ILB, Arkansas St.)
7. (233) Bryce Brown, RB, Kansas St. (my choice: Randy Bullock, PK, Texas A&M)

Last edited by HPF Bob; 04-21-2012 at 02:15 PM.