IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2015, 10:26 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I can't believe Mariota falls to 17. Surely the Jets draft him if nobody else will. If we're at 16 and Mariota is still on the board, we're going to get some great offers to trade down, particularly from Philly.
I am hopeful, just not sure if Chip Kelly pulls the trigger. If Cleveland gets on the phone to express interest, then maybe. Chip may be bluffing, but it sounded like he was content with Sam Bradford & Mark Sanchez. Then, again he may be betting on Mariota falling to him at 20 after that bad Pro Day.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:34 AM
All-Pro

Some things to keep in mind. Mariota could fall because he isn't NFL Ready for any other team except the Eagles. There are other players available who can make an impact in the rookie year. Now, Cleveland has an extra first round pick to risk. So, we would have to make a market and have Cleveland bidding against Philadelphia for the chance to leapfrog. We tell the Browns that Mariota isn't dropping to #19 because Philadelphia isn't staying at #20.

Looking at the Trade Value chart our #16 pick is worth 1000 points.
Cle : #19 (875), #77 (205), #108 (78) #139 (37) #173 (22)
Phi : #20 (850), #84 (170), #110 (74) #148 (32) #180 (19)

So, we could get a 3rd & 4th from Philly or a 4th, 5th, and 6th from Cleveland. So, you give up the opportunity to get a "Top 3 WR" for an extra 3rd or 4th rounder. I would do it, not sure if Rick Smith would. Of course he may only be offered a 4th & 5th or nothing at all if both teams believe that Mariota continues to free fall.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:44 PM
All-Pro

I just completed another mock draft on Fanspeak.com and came away with the following :
#16 WR Amari Cooper
#51 CB Kevin Johnson
#82 WR Phillip Dorsett
#113 OC Ali Marpet
#144 OLB Anthony Chickillo
#179 OT D.J. Humphries
#210 ILB Bryce Hager

I have a hard time believing Humphries lasts that long, but was using the "Composite" Draft Board.

Considering the Eagles potential draft trade, the players available at #84 included DL Henry Anderson, QB Bryce Petty, OL Donovan Smith, & WR Devin Smith. The players available at #110 included ILBs Jake Ryan, Stephone Anthony, and Jordan Hicks.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:21 PM
All-Pro

My latest mock attempt had all four receivers disappear on me. I traded down with the Steelers to pick up their 2nd and still able to land Malcom Brown, DT from Texas. With the board being a bit crazy, I could still get Landon Collins amd Maxx Williams in the second. I didn't get a WR until the 4th (Kevin Lockett) and 6th (Deonte Greenberry). Couldn't land a good ILB and the WRs are not star caliber but those were some nice additions.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:33 PM
All-Pro

D.J. Humphries is the oddest selection on these mocks and big boards. He's either Top 50 or down in the fifth or sixth rounds. The NFL evaluators told him he should go back to Florida for another year and he ignored them. Apparently had a good combine.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:18 AM
All-Pro

My first mock with the Comp Picks added:

16 *Malcom Brown DT Texas Jr 6-2 319
51 Jalen Collins CB LSU rJr 6-1 203
82 Phillip Dorsett WR Miami (Fla.) Sr 5-10 185
116 Bryce Petty QB Baylor rSr 6-3 230
152 Taiwan Jones ILB Michigan State Sr 6-3 245
174 Nick Marshall CB Auburn Sr 6-1 207
194 Shaquille Riddick DE West Virginia Sr 6-6 236
211 Nick Boyle TE Delaware Sr 6-4 268
216 Josh Robinson RB Mississippi State rJr 5-8 217
235 Miles Dieffenbach OG Penn State rSr 6-3 305

I admit that I don't have great knowledge at the bottom of the draft, and two CBs might be one to many. With the owner and the HC both attaching Nix, Brown is the young guy that has time to develop under Wilfork, and can play DE or DT. Dorsett adds blazing speed and allows you play Short outside. Petty is allowed to develop behind Hoyer/Mallett. Giving us our best QB room in team history.

After that, I am filling positions more so than drafting players. Some of you guys will have better selection in the late rounds.

Also I know I have been on Brown for some time, but I don't see a WR at 16, and I am not sure they go RB that early.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:04 PM
All-Pro

A key question is whether Bryce Petty is an O'Brien type of quarterback. Plus, if he drafts someone too famous to hide on the practice squad, is it admission that they wasted a pick on Savage?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:31 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
A key question is whether Bryce Petty is an O'Brien type of quarterback. Plus, if he drafts someone too famous to hide on the practice squad, is it admission that they wasted a pick on Savage?
We will not know if Petty is an BOB type guy until he is or isn't picked. As for Savage, no one knows what BOB thinks there either. To my knowledge, BOB has not discussed Savage this offseason. And taking a flyer on a QB last year does not preclude us from taking a another guy this year. That is just my opinion.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:50 PM
All-Pro

I think its excellent for Texans to now have ten draft picks to work with this year. We already have three promising young QB, why confuse the issue further by drafting a fourth which couldn't stay on active roster , unless super good.

I suppose comments by BOB and RSmith are in full mislead the public mode to do with draft right now.

Found this interesting list of about 50 guys Texans have met with and had private workouts preparing for this draft. The list keeps growing. Wonder how many of these will be drafted or UDFA for Texans.

http://hou.scout.com/story/1528951-2...ect-list?s=116
Old 03-24-2015, 05:28 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
My first mock with the Comp Picks added:

16 *Malcom Brown DT Texas Jr 6-2 319
51 Jalen Collins CB LSU rJr 6-1 203
82 Phillip Dorsett WR Miami (Fla.) Sr 5-10 185
116 Bryce Petty QB Baylor rSr 6-3 230
152 Taiwan Jones ILB Michigan State Sr 6-3 245
174 Nick Marshall CB Auburn Sr 6-1 207
194 Shaquille Riddick DE West Virginia Sr 6-6 236
211 Nick Boyle TE Delaware Sr 6-4 268
216 Josh Robinson RB Mississippi State rJr 5-8 217
235 Miles Dieffenbach OG Penn State rSr 6-3 305

I admit that I don't have great knowledge at the bottom of the draft, and two CBs might be one to many. With the owner and the HC both attaching Nix, Brown is the young guy that has time to develop under Wilfork, and can play DE or DT. Dorsett adds blazing speed and allows you play Short outside. Petty is allowed to develop behind Hoyer/Mallett. Giving us our best QB room in team history.

Also I know I have been on Brown for some time, but I don't see a WR at 16, and I am not sure they go RB that early.
I am okay with Malcolm Brown, he has size to play the NT and can push the pocket. I am a fan of Dorsett, he reminds me of Steve Smith. The 2 CBs you drafted you let battle for the Nickel and the other can play Safety when you want D. Swag on the bench because he's a liability in the passing game.

Petty is my favorite QB in the draft, if you can get him in the 3rd round or later. He is behind a guy like Andrew Luck because he's been in a gimmick Offense, which is why I shake my head about Mariota being discussed as a 1st round pick. He needs time to adjust to the NFL, but I think he could be better than Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, or Ryan Mallet in two years.

T. Jones can tackle, but I am concerned about pass coverage.

The TE reminds me of Fedorowicz. Solid, but not spectacular.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Since Savage was only a 4th rounder I don't think there would (or at least should) be much wailing if another young QB were drafted to compete with him. It's not like they invested much in him. Heck, since they drafted him they've already traded for and re-signed Mallett and signed Hoyer.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:42 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
D.J. Humphries is the oddest selection on these mocks and big boards. He's either Top 50 or down in the fifth or sixth rounds. The NFL evaluators told him he should go back to Florida for another year and he ignored them. Apparently had a good combine.
He is "raw" but the upside is great. He reminds me of a better Loadholt or Oher. Could play RT starting day one.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:49 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
I think its excellent for Texans to now have ten draft picks to work with this year. We already have three promising young QB, why confuse the issue further by drafting a fourth which couldn't stay on active roster , unless super good.

I suppose comments by BOB and RSmith are in full mislead the public mode to do with draft right now.

Found this interesting list of about 50 guys Texans have met with and had private workouts preparing for this draft. The list keeps growing. Wonder how many of these will be drafted or UDFA for Texans.

http://hou.scout.com/story/1528951-2...ect-list?s=116

Nice List Thanks
Old 03-25-2015, 10:45 AM
All-Pro

Fanspeak.com updated their Draft Board and it feels like it is getting closer to the truth. This was the top 15 picks:
1 TB - Marcus Mariota
2 Ten - Leonard Williams
3 Jax - Shane Ray
4 Oak - Kevin White
5 Was - Dante Fowler
6 NYJ - Vic Beasley
7 Chi - Amari Cooper
8 Atl - Randy Gregory
9 NYG - Brandon Scherff
10 StL - Trae Waynes
11 Min - Devante Parker
12 Cle - Landon Collins
13 NO - Malcolm Brown
14 Mia - TJ Clemmings
15 SF - Bud Dupree

So, for the Texans I selected the following :
16 OL - La'el Collins
51 CB - Kevin Johnson
82 OLB - Anthony Chickillo
116 QB - Bryce Petty
152 WR - Chris Conley
174 ILB - Jake Ryan
194 RB - Karlos Williams
211 CB - Justin Coleman
216 DL - Leterrius Walton
235 DL - Ray Drew
Old 03-25-2015, 01:48 PM
All-Pro

What happened to Jameis Winston at 1 to TB?
Old 03-25-2015, 01:54 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
What happened to Jameis Winston at 1 to TB?
That one pick made me stop looking at that mock.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:03 PM
All-Pro

Jameis Winston was selected #20 by the Eagles.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:26 PM
Pro Bowler

If Jameis is there at #16, we take him.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:29 PM
All-Pro

I have seen some Mock Drafts where Mariota falls to #20, so for the purpose of "What If" - it would be better for the Texans if both QBs were selected before our pick, pushing down a player who would fit into a need. Unless you are one of those people who would draft Winston or Mariota or hope to trade the pick to someone else who does.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Pro Bowler

IMO, a franchise QB is the biggest need this team has. Has ever had!! No way they should pass up on Winston or Mariota if one of them is sitting there at #16. Good God we have a Cleveland cast-off, an unproven cast-off, and an unproven 1-yr guy who didn't last a whole game. It would be insane to pass up Winston or MM. And I don't buy into this "BOB's type of guy". What is BOB's type of guy? He has a ~6' noodle-armed QB, a 6'5" strong-armed QB that nobody knows anything about, and someone in between. What is BOBs type of guy? If you have a shot at one of the top QBs in the draft - especially at a value-pick like #16, you fire that bullet, IMO. You don't sit and hope someone (Petty) will be there in RD2/3/4 or that you'll get your guy next year.