IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Pro Bowler

I think WR is a fairly big need. 1) We have no one who can step up when AJ goes down with an injury (which seems to be occurring with increasing frequency and length), 2) AJ isn't getting any younger and we need to groom a decent WR, and 3) what's wrong with upgrading that position with a better starter or depth? The Steelers and Packers - just to name 2 - don't seem to have a problem with multiple threats at WR. I don't buy the "oh we throw to the TE or run multiple TE sets" argument for ignoring a weakness at WR. We saw how this team struggles without AJ as proof there's a gaping weakness there.

As for the draft, I'm hoping like all get out that Kendall Wright drops down to us. I think he'd be a great return guy and could develop into a player like Victor Cruz or Antonio Brown. Alshon Jeffery has talent, but I'm concerned about his character and his motivation considering his weight problems. He doesn't fit that return role either.

Now, I wouldn't have a problem if the Texans went and got a FA like Robert Meachem and looked to the later rounds for a sleeper WR and return guy. I think the Saints are going to lose either Meachem or Colston since they have to sign Brees. Meachem would be the most likely to leave and he's probably within budget. I think he'd fit in nicely with this offense. I know, Meachem has never broken out, but I still think he's better than JJ as a WR.

If we're going to trade down, I'd like for us to find a team who thinks they're close and try to give up our #1 (and maybe another later pick) for their 2012 #2 and their 2013 #1. Sort of like how NE and Philadelphia work the draft every year. Of course, there's the Mario Williams factor that might come into play with our picks as well.

Last edited by popanot; 01-11-2012 at 08:15 PM.