IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 07-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Texans outlook for 2017

Video - Texans outlook for 2017. TRT = 8:19

Summary: Wiseguys Teddy and Pauly review the 2016 season and give an outlook for 2017. Conclude Texans have a shot - a lot of teams don't.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:41 PM
All-Pro

I've seen some doom-and-gloom predictions based on 2016 point differential. I think they failed to understand how this team plays. They win close or lose large.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:40 PM
All-Pro

I don't get the doom and gloom stuff at all. I mean, the quarterback play literally could not get any worse. They'll get back the guy who's been the best player in the league over the last three to five years... I don't know, I know I'm a well known sunshine pumper but I don't see why the Texans can't be among the better teams in the conference.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:43 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I don't get the doom and gloom stuff at all. I mean, the quarterback play literally could not get any worse. They'll get back the guy who's been the best player in the league over the last three to five years... I don't know, I know I'm a well known sunshine pumper but I don't see why the Texans can't be among the better teams in the conference.
Whoa the Chuckster is all in with the Texans and with language like "better teams in the conference" sounds like he's calling for a run deep into the POs in the 2017-18 season by the Texans.
I'm not quite there but I still like that kind of optimism.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:10 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Whoa the Chuckster is all in with the Texans and with language like "better teams in the conference" sounds like he's calling for a run deep into the POs in the 2017-18 season by the Texans.
I'm not quite there but I still like that kind of optimism.
It all depends on the offense. The defense last year, without JJ, was good enough to win a championship. Average offensive production would have won a championship. There are a lot of unknowns, obviously, the quarterback most important among them, but also the OL, the TE, the RB and the WRs outside of Nuk. So, that's about everything.

I should also mention special teams while I'm having fun. They've been among the worst in the league (bottom five at best) for something crazy like five years in a row. Typically special teams units sort of rise and fall depending on the quality of a team's back ups. It is very unusual for a team to dwell at the cellar of special teams statistics for years at a time. But that's where we are.

We know what shit quarterback play looks like. Last year it won the division and won a playoff game. (And kept the Texans respectably in a playoff game against the Patriots until the turnover machine got fired up.) Will that win a division this year? Maybe not. Maybe. People always run in predicting that other teams in the division will improve dramatically. Sometimes I'm one of those people. It never seems to happen. I don't see how the Titans couldn't be significantly better next year. People say the same about the Jags, but they say that about the Jags literally every year and then they suck every year so I'm going to ignore them until they demonstrate that they can win more than a game every month or so.

Yeah, anyway, with league average offensive production the team will be a real force. It's confusing that they're getting written off in so many places but I suppose that's to be expected when your starting quarterback going into the season has ten NFL snaps to his credit.