IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 12-20-2020, 09:19 PM
All-Pro

Default New GM and HC search [Nick Caserio Hired as GM] [David Culley Hired as HC]

There was news this week that the Texans are interviewing possible GM candidates https://www.nfl.com/news/louis-riddi...jobs-this-week

Is this the first guy on the list? Or has there been others?

As for Riddick, I like what I've seen about him, and I don't want them to miss out the Detroit on him. He has ties to the 3 top HC candidates and he is not a slave to Easterby.

I am surprised there has been so little news on the search.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:21 PM
Hall of Fame

The guys on 610am have talked about him.

Went to Pitt. Played for 6 years at Atlanta, Cleveland, Oakland as a DB. Only started 8 times in his career but saw a lot of action. Age 51. ESPN analyst.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...R/RiddLo20.htm

OK, maybe he's got the smarts. Seems to have a lot of interest from other teams. He'd be a rookie GM. Between Head coach and GM, only one rookie, please.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:27 PM
Regular Starter

They interviewed former Colts and Lions HC Jim Caldwell today.

They reportedly are going to interview former Chiefs and Browns GM John Dorsey and former Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff soon.

They can't interview anyone who is currently employed by an NFL team until after their season is over, with certain exceptions for teams in the playoffs (which I need to look up because those rules have changed). So things will probably stay pretty quiet for a few more weeks.

Dorsey has been working as a consultant for the Eagles. I haven't seen anything that has said whether or not he is an Eagles employee, which would impact when he could be interviewed by the Texans.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:27 PM
All-Pro

Tom Herman could be available. He already has vast experience coaching teams who f--k up at the end of games.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:26 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
They interviewed former Colts and Lions HC Jim Caldwell today.

They reportedly are going to interview former Chiefs and Browns GM John Dorsey and former Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff soon.

They can't interview anyone who is currently employed by an NFL team until after their season is over, with certain exceptions for teams in the playoffs (which I need to look up because those rules have changed). So things will probably stay pretty quiet for a few more weeks.

Dorsey has been working as a consultant for the Eagles. I haven't seen anything that has said whether or not he is an Eagles employee, which would impact when he could be interviewed by the Texans.
I was coming here to update this interview, thank you.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex...g-15820306.php
Old 12-21-2020, 08:34 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
The guys on 610am have talked about him.

Went to Pitt. Played for 6 years at Atlanta, Cleveland, Oakland as a DB. Only started 8 times in his career but saw a lot of action. Age 51. ESPN analyst.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...R/RiddLo20.htm

OK, maybe he's got the smarts. Seems to have a lot of interest from other teams. He'd be a rookie GM. Between Head coach and GM, only one rookie, please.
Yes those guys have me liking Riddick, and Robert Saleh 49ers DC for head coach.
Yes I've drank the koolaid.

Maybe I could be sold on Dorsey, but not Thomas Dimitroff even though he did have his team in the Super Bowl.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:42 PM
All-Pro

Another point I missed about the Caldwell interview, I thought they were going to let the the new GM pick the HC, shouldn't he be here for the interview process? This has the look of the team getting the Rooney rule out of the way. Caldwell deserve better treatment than that.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:16 AM
All-Pro

Remember when Bob McNair would drop players who ran afoul of the law (and weren't stars)? Now we're coming full circle as the Texans plan to interview former Bengals coach Marvin Lewis

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/m...fl-per-report/

whose personnel kept the Cincinnati Police Department busy besides being a generally crappy coach. He was 0-7 in the playoffs as a head coach in 16 seasons, including two wild card losses to the Texans in 2011-12.

He's 62 so they might as well just keep Romeo if they're planning on hiring him. Maybe it's just that the Bagels are this week's opponent or they need to satisfy the Rooney Rule but this is one hire I hope they don't make.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:32 AM
Regular Starter

Tony Dungy, who is part of McNair's advisory committee that may or may not actually be a committee, is a vocal proponent of Caldwell.

I wouldn't want Marvin Lewis but I think he is a competent NFL head coach. He never did anything in the playoffs but deserves some credit for getting more out of the notoriously cheap Bengals franchise than anybody else has in a long time.

The Texans interviewed current Director of Player Personnel Matt Bazirgan for the GM position. That must have been an interesting conversation given that he was part of the front office that made terrible move after terrible move. I guess he would have to take the same approach that Easterby clearly has and blame it all on BOB?

Here is a timeline of what interviews are allowed when under the NFL's rules: https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...824961/photo/1
Old 12-24-2020, 06:07 PM
All-Pro

I'm not sure what there is about the Lions or the Bengals that would make any NFL executive say "I wish we were like those guys".

I'd support Kevin Sumlin for head coach. He had success at UH, minor success at Texas A&M, coached a Heisman winner and runs a very wide-open offense with running QBs. We'd have to find a defensive coach to run the defense because he seems to be to be an offense-only coach but the same was true with Kubiak.

First make a play for Dabo and find out what his price is to try the pros then fall back on Sumlin. That works for me.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:58 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I'm not sure what there is about the Lions or the Bengals that would make any NFL executive say "I wish we were like those guys".

I'd support Kevin Sumlin for head coach. He had success at UH, minor success at Texas A&M, coached a Heisman winner and runs a very wide-open offense with running QBs. We'd have to find a defensive coach to run the defense because he seems to be to be an offense-only coach but the same was true with Kubiak.

First make a play for Dabo and find out what his price is to try the pros then fall back on Sumlin. That works for me.
Nothing like hiring a guy who just finished up his winless season at Arizona with a 70-7 loss to rival ASU for ASU's only win of the season. Sumlin will be lucky to find a college coordinator job, so I guess that makes him about as qualified to coach the Texans as a team chaplain is to run them.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:22 PM
All-Pro

I was already aware of this but the guy didn't suddenly forget how to coach. Sounds like some sort of divorce. Sumlin obviously lost control of the team. That happens.

He strikes me as someone who would be a better professional coach than a college one. Just a hunch. And he doesn't need to start at the top. Make him a O-coordinator for an NFL team and see how he does.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I thought they were going to let the the new GM pick the HC, shouldn't he be here for the interview process? This has the look of the team getting the Rooney rule out of the way.
Agreed. Let's get a GM and HC on the same page from the jump. Rooney rule was my initial thought too, but I suppose it isn't a poor idea for the Texans to go through a "practice" round of interviewing themselves. Maybe help them query and parse the actual candidates when they interview them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I wouldn't want Marvin Lewis but I think he is a competent NFL head coach. He never did anything in the playoffs but deserves some credit for getting more out of the notoriously cheap Bengals franchise than anybody else has in a long time.
My initial reaction too was to be repulsed by the thought of Lewis. And I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise here, least of all me, but Lewis had a winning record as HC of the Bengals at 131-122-3. That's like 16 years, and the last 3 had win totals of just 6, 7, and 6. He produced winning teams with such a woeful franchise and ownership. Was also the DC for that stout Ravens defense that won SB XXXV and set a record for fewest points allowed.

Now for the bad - his teams went 0-7 in the playoffs, all wild card games. Six wild card losses over a seven year span actually. Feels very Oiler-esque from their late 80s-early 90s run, but unlike a few of those Oilers squads, how many of those losses did Lewis clearly have the better talent on the field? He entered as the home team with a division championship a few times, but I'm not sure he lost with clearly better talent. His QB for most of those seasons was Andy Dalton, not a HoF guy like Warren Moon.

Quote:
I probably said the same thing about Bill Belichick after his stint with the Browns though.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:27 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
I probably said the same thing about Bill Belichick after his stint with the Browns though.
I knew this would come up. Belichick was a highly successful DC under Parcells and he had to learn how to coach without Tuna behind him. There are few top head coaches who were big winners with their first head coaching gigs. Most of them (cough, Kubiak) reached their peak with a second team.

But you can't overcome a lack of talent although Bum certainly tried.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:11 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
I was already aware of this but the guy didn't suddenly forget how to coach. Sounds like some sort of divorce. Sumlin obviously lost control of the team. That happens.

He strikes me as someone who would be a better professional coach than a college one. Just a hunch. And he doesn't need to start at the top. Make him a O-coordinator for an NFL team and see how he does.
He'd be much worse as an NFL coach. He is a fantastic recruiter who then mostly gets the least out of his guys. And it's not like he was great as a coach and then had an off year. He's been on a constant downward spiral since the Manziel days. Manziel won the Heisman and the team went 11-2 in Sumlin's first year at A&M. Since then he's gone...

9-4
8-5
8-5
8-5
7-5
5-7
4-8
0-5

And that includes 12 straight losses currently to complete a pretty easy to spot trend. I legitimately can't think of a worse candidate. But I guess Kliff Kingsburry failed up into the Cardinals job so it's possible Sumlin could fail upwards too.

I'd much prefer an NFL guy like Beinemy or Saleh.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:39 PM
All-Pro

Why hasn't anyone hired Bieniemy as head coach yet?

Well it might be incidents like this:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/6...joseph-broncos

Granted, nothing has been added to the list in over a decade but we all know the passage of time doesn't matter to certain activist groups.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:33 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Why hasn't anyone hired Bieniemy as head coach yet?

Well it might be incidents like this:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/6...joseph-broncos

Granted, nothing has been added to the list in over a decade but we all know the passage of time doesn't matter to certain activist groups.
Or could it be he is not the guy that is calling the plays?
Old 01-04-2021, 11:09 AM
All-Pro

Texans appear to be going backwards:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex...M-15844228.php

And a HC request:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex...t-15844366.php

If McNair stays with Easterby, then I'm done.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:24 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Texans appear to be going backwards:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex...M-15844228.php

And a HC request:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex...t-15844366.php

If McNair stays with Easterby, then I'm done.
I could live with Caserio. He's supposed to be a really sharp guy contrary to some of the other Patriot imports...
Old 01-04-2021, 02:04 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
I could live with Caserio. He's supposed to be a really sharp guy contrary to some of the other Patriot imports...
I want to move on from the Patriots, no team has been able to emulate the Pats, and I want a real front office. A GM who is the boss, he is the personel guy. He picks the HC. Like most teams in the league.

Without Belichick, this system has not work anywhere else in the league.