IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 PM
All-Pro

I thought Keo was supposed to be good.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Hall of Fame

Texans had called a timeout before the play got off.... 5 seconds goes back up on the clock...

McElroy can't find a receiver and runs out of bounds. Clock runs out.

Final score:

Texans 20, Jets 16
Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 PM
All-Pro

Well, nice to beat Rex and jets even in preserasom. Lb braham looked pretty good.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
Well, nice to beat Rex and jets even in preserasom. Lb braham looked pretty good.
Yes, I'd say surprises-of-the-game were:

Braman LB
Friday LB
Adibi LB
Jean WR
Ogbannaya RB

Did I leave anyone out? Yates wasn't too bad considering his 1st NFL game...
Old 08-15-2011, 10:33 PM
All-Pro

Admit it. You expected the Texans to choke at the end. I know I did. And if that was Santonio Holmes instead of that scrub who had an easy touchdown at the end, the headlines would have read "Same old Texans".

We do seem to have a lot of guys who can rush the passer suddenly and maybe they'll finally get to Peyton Manning but if they leave Dallas Clark as open as the Jets TEs were, it will be the same old story.

Let's see what happens when the starters are left in.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I think we already know.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:40 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This team's return game is a disgrace.
They sure looked like graduates of the Steve Slaton School of Kick Returning tonight - which is to say "run sideways then duck". Terrible. Where's J.J. Moses? That little dwarf was fearless.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Admit it. You expected the Texans to choke at the end. I know I did. And if that was Santonio Holmes instead of that scrub who had an easy touchdown at the end, the headlines would have read "Same old Texans".

We do seem to have a lot of guys who can rush the passer suddenly and maybe they'll finally get to Peyton Manning but if they leave Dallas Clark as open as the Jets TEs were, it will be the same old story.

True, but if Holmes was in, Joseph would have been in. I'll take that match-up.

1st Preseason game is what it is. A little rusty at times, but decent effort, and some possible diamonds in the rough.

I'm cautiously encouraged by tonights effort.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Well, we couldn't wrap up for a few more sacks and they couldn't catch. Sounds about even to me....
Old 08-16-2011, 01:27 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
They sure looked like graduates of the Steve Slaton School of Kick Returning tonight - which is to say "run sideways then duck". Terrible. Where's J.J. Moses? That little dwarf was fearless.
He's about six years retired from the league. And I bet he could improve on the team's return game today. Of course, so could Mel Gray. What I want to know is what the hell is the deal with Trindon Holiday. Is he hurt? I haven't heard anything to that effect. But he didn't play at all that I saw. And among all the fast pass catchers that they have in camp, why Demps?

As a ten year fan of the Texans I can tell you right now that neither Jean nor Braman will make this team. Chris O is seriously on the bubble. If Tate is able to get out of the tub and hobble around on crutches for fifteen minutes or so, forget it.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:36 AM
All-Pro

JJ Watt and Brooks Reed both were impressive, but 2 other rookies who impressed very much last night were undrafted -
as ESPNs "Jaws' said, rookie OLB Bryan Braman was relentless and another
URFA, WR Jean, was impressive with his excellent hands & size.
I hate to say this, but rookie Shiloh Keo should be cut this morning - what a disappointing NFL debut he had, and Mario should immediately be moved back to the DLine. Wouldn't that be a strong combo, both Mario and Watt at DE, and then let the rookie guys who are real standup 3-4 edge rushers like Brooks & Braman play at OLB along with Barwin.
Schaub was really off target, but no big deal. Leinert was OK, but rookie TJ
looked to have a little better arm strength and some limited mobility.
The Texans across the Board seemed to have as much talent as the Jets,
who I think have dropped off a bit. Overall I was favorably impressed with our
team.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:00 AM
All-Pro

I came in worried about our OLBs. Now I am impressed with them.

I cannot say the same about our ILBs. Not sure we have the beef there to play a 34 with a 1 gap NT. I am afraid it will be the running game that gouges us this year instead of the passing game.

I am not worried about the offense at all. They can play and nothing that happens in the preseason will affect that at all.

Leinhart looked like a guy who could make an appearance in a game and play fine. But I don't like the idea of him ever starting due to injury. With a week to prepare, defenses will realize he checks everything down and never throws it more than 10 yards in the air.

Watt looked great. Really great. Like homerun draft pick great. Reed is fast and should have value. outside of that I was not real impressed with our defensive draft picks. I did like Yates though. Good mobility and head to run our bootleg offense.

I am really not sure how Braman went undrafted with all the 34 teams and the premium on pass rushers. Great find.

Dickerson had a block on the TD run that was about as nice an inside block as I've seen a WR make. Totally cleaned out the force man on the outside and actually knocked him into the safety who was coming over. That will get him on the field in our offense (if he can catch).

And casey actually looked good as a lead blocker. No missed assignments and didn't get blown up. Competent lead blocking. In a weird turn of events Vickers actually looked better with the ball in his hands though.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This team's return game is a disgrace.
Aside from Rackers, this team's whole 'Special' Teams is a disaster. I realize it was only a preseason game and can only HOPE they get better, but they've been this way for about 4yrs running now. The return game is awful and the coverage game is awful. I don't think I've think I've ever seen a team where the ST makes so many negative plays. I'm amazed that Marciano has been employed by the team this long.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:38 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Dickerson had a block on the TD run that was about as nice an inside block as I've seen a WR make. Totally cleaned out the force man on the outside and actually knocked him into the safety who was coming over. That will get him on the field in our offense (if he can catch).
I meant to comment on this at the time but got distracted. You're absolutely right, it was a monster block, very impressive. I loved seeing that.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Pro Bowler

I will tell Chuck right now, that WR Lestar Jean makes the team. It may only be the taxi team for the time being, but that young man is going to be heard from. And in a similar way, so is Oregon Duck Jeff Maehl.

I was right, we did win the game.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Default New York Jets vs Houston Texans: NFL Preseason Week 1 Cliff Notes

Check out NFL scout Jayson Braddock’s opinion on Matt Leinart, TJ Yates and Chris Ogbonnaya in their first preseason game against the Jets.