IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Regular Starter

Default rick smith

so, i don't want to go overboard here, but i am really not liking the way he is handling our veterans. i really don't have any idea why they have not been in serious negotiations with daniels and ryans. ryans more importantly. maybe i am missing something , but i can't think of any good reason not to get at least ryans locked up this year, especially given that this will be an uncapped year, and they could theoretically structure the contract so that it doesn't have much of a cap implication once a new cba is in place. worst case scenario here? a team like the vikings ponies up and takes him and we are left with a 1st and 3rd in return. while that is a lot to get for a player, anyone want to put money on either of those pics being year in, year out pro bowl players?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:25 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadams View Post
so, i don't want to go overboard here, but i am really not liking the way he is handling our veterans. i really don't have any idea why they have not been in serious negotiations with daniels and ryans. ryans more importantly. maybe i am missing something , but i can't think of any good reason not to get at least ryans locked up this year, especially given that this will be an uncapped year, and they could theoretically structure the contract so that it doesn't have much of a cap implication once a new cba is in place. worst case scenario here? a team like the vikings ponies up and takes him and we are left with a 1st and 3rd in return. while that is a lot to get for a player, anyone want to put money on either of those pics being year in, year out pro bowl players?
First off if I am not mistaken we can match any offer. Now the Vikings have been know to use poison pills in their offers to FA before, but it unlikely any team is going to be willing to give up a 1st and 3rd.

Lastly, Ryans is a heck of a MLB, but IMO he is overrated, every season a guy comes out that would be just as solid as him.

This season Weatherspoon is that guy, add Rolando McLain, Brandon Spikes and Pat Angerer. They all can play the MIKE at an above average level IMO.

Now I agree with you that the Texans are playing with fire with the veterans, but at the same time I think we the fan base have some of these guys higher rated than they are worth on the open market.

Also with the current rules, the players for the most part cannot move from team to team when they are restricted, except when a team screws up and under tenders them.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:56 PM
All-Pro

According to Chron they are meeting and negotiating since February and making offers to Demeco and Daniels and Walters and Pollard which sounds reasonable to me.

Demeco and OD are both RFA's, I think, so you tender them is it for now isn't it. Wait and see if get offers and then match to keep them.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
First off if I am not mistaken we can match any offer. Now the Vikings have been know to use poison pills in their offers to FA before, but it unlikely any team is going to be willing to give up a 1st and 3rd.

Lastly, Ryans is a heck of a MLB, but IMO he is overrated, every season a guy comes out that would be just as solid as him.

This season Weatherspoon is that guy, add Rolando McLain, Brandon Spikes and Pat Angerer. They all can play the MIKE at an above average level IMO.

Now I agree with you that the Texans are playing with fire with the veterans, but at the same time I think we the fan base have some of these guys higher rated than they are worth on the open market.

Also with the current rules, the players for the most part cannot move from team to team when they are restricted, except when a team screws up and under tenders them.
No doubt there are guys that come out of the draft every year that can play ball immediately, but there are a lot more that end up underperforming, and you can't count on getting those guys everytime. If this team was made up differently with less holes I wouldn't have brought this up, but they still have issues that need to be addressed, and they don't need to have more issues added. and the more rookies we have to rely on, the higher chance we end up with another 8-8 (or worse) type year. especially with the schedule they have in 2010. as for the poison pill, i would be willing to be the farm that if a team tried to sign him, it would include a pill.

now, typically this type of move doesnt occur with respect to rfa's, but givent that the final 8 from last season can't go after ufa's this year like in the past, there is at least the possibility that the risk is greater this year. hell, worse would be if indy decided to pull this move.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Regular Starter

By my count, the only significant re-signing on Rick Smith's watch is Eric Winston. Anyone else think of any other big names that he has re-upped?

Now, maybe DeMeco, OD, Walter, Dunta, etc. have all been making outlandish demands which the Texans have rightfully rebuffed. However, I find it hard to believe that every single restricted/unrestricted free agent that the Texans have had over the last few years have all been unreasonable. Makes me wonder if there is some disconnect somewhere. I guess time will tell.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:42 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
By my count, the only significant re-signing on Rick Smith's watch is Eric Winston. Anyone else think of any other big names that he has re-upped?

Now, maybe DeMeco, OD, Walter, Dunta, etc. have all been making outlandish demands which the Texans have rightfully rebuffed. However, I find it hard to believe that every single restricted/unrestricted free agent that the Texans have had over the last few years have all been unreasonable. Makes me wonder if there is some disconnect somewhere. I guess time will tell.
The just signed DelJaun Robinson a few weeks ago, not a big name but I thought it was a multi year deal.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Signing DeMeco is imperative. I'd venture to say signing OD is imperative, too.

DeMeco and Cushing, you have ANCHORS of the LB corp you can wrap up for YEARS. You gotta do it, money aside. That combo is just too damn crucial from a performance AND leadership standpoint.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Regular Starter

I have to agree with some of the concerns here regarding Rick. It looks like the Ravens may want Kevin Walter, still a couple of days till free agency though. Perhaps the perceived non action has a lot to do with the uncertainty about the NFL labor deal about to expire, but it seems like we are only going to be able to tread water and fill only a need or two. Maybe they hope the team will mature and grow into a winner, but as of now we need: CB, FS, LG, C, RB, DT, and now perhaps a WR, not to mention adding depth all around. It's nice to think they can hit on all their draft picks, like '06, but with a thin free agent class it might not be realistic to try and fill all of your needs through the draft. I am not one of those "McNair is cheap" types and again free agency is thin (maybe not totally bare) this year anyway. The off season has barely started, but so far if we lose Dunta followed by Chester and Kevin with DeMeco and/or Owen unhappy or holding out, that just does not bode well for turning the corner. I hope this man has a real plan for this team.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanJedi View Post
I have to agree with some of the concerns here regarding Rick. It looks like the Ravens may want Kevin Walter, still a couple of days till free agency though. Perhaps the perceived non action has a lot to do with the uncertainty about the NFL labor deal about to expire, but it seems like we are only going to be able to tread water and fill only a need or two. Maybe they hope the team will mature and grow into a winner, but as of now we need: CB, FS, LG, C, RB, DT, and now perhaps a WR, not to mention adding depth all around. It's nice to think they can hit on all their draft picks, like '06, but with a thin free agent class it might not be realistic to try and fill all of your needs through the draft. I am not one of those "McNair is cheap" types and again free agency is thin (maybe not totally bare) this year anyway. The off season has barely started, but so far if we lose Dunta followed by Chester and Kevin with DeMeco and/or Owen unhappy or holding out, that just does not bode well for turning the corner. I hope this man has a real plan for this team.
Well said and I agree with pretty much everything you're saying. I would further add that next year's schedule (at least right now) looks brutal and has a lot of the type of aggressive defenses which have traditionally given us fits. Suffice it to say, I'm very concerned about next year if we now have to replace several starters from last year in addition to the holes we had to begin with.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Pro Bowler

It's too soon to panic over these guys. After March 5th, we will know more since that is the first day a FA can be signed, I think. The Texans would rather these negotiations be kept low key so as not to get too much publicity, I guess.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Regular Starter

I guess we'll just wait and see how it all unfolds. However, I'll admit that even though we supposedly had our best year last year, I nevertheless became quite pessimistic about this team over the last year. That doesn't mean that I think Kubiak and Smith are terrible. Actually, I think they are something that can often times be worse-average. I think they are average, and average rarely wins championships. However, by being just good enough to provide a glimmer of hope allows them to hang on well past their expiration dates. In short, I've pretty much concluded we're the Jacksonville Jaguars. I would put Kubiak on about the same level as Del Rio. Del Rio is just good enough, and has just enough success to keep his job, but I don't think anyone really expects him to get the Jags over the hump. Similarly, much like the Jags have been the last few years, we've positioned ourselves to be competitive and maybe even make the playoffs if things go right. Thus, I see Kubiak being like Del Rio and continuing to hang on even though no one really thinks he's the guy to win it all. I truly hope I'm wrong but this is the vicious cycle I think we're headed for.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 PM
All-Pro

I think I am much more optimistic about the team and coaches and GM to get to playoffs and SB. I think other than a particular RB and/or Kicker we could have made playoffs this past year, don't expect those two to be back.

It seems to me the coaching on offense and defense has been a big improvement this past year. Way above average results other than wins which can be explained.

And teams depth has constantly improved.

I am not so worried as some of you, I don't think we will loose our RFA and likely not the FA who need to be kept. It is the process to follow and every team has to do this. There are several hundred RFA , some who are top 5, who are in the same position as our top guys.

Hopefully we keep all of last years starters and get some consistency and then next years schedule can maybe be ok. If we have three new OL starters, could take a while for them to jell. That would worry me.

But certainly time will tell.