IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2020, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Default Bill O'Brien Fired

Bill O'Brien has been fired, both as Head Coach and General Manager, and whatever other titles he had given himself.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:09 PM
All-Pro

Only about 12 months too late to save our roster. Hopefully the hiring process embraces a rebuild instead of giving the job to whoever convinces them we're a talented team that just needs a new voice. There are about 10 NFL players on this roster and almost every one of them is way overpaid.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Just signed meaningful extensions to Watson and Tunsil. I'm not sure a full rebuild is what I'd be looking for with the two biggest cornerstones entering their prime.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:22 PM
Hall of Fame

Goodness, I'm shocked. I didn't think they would do it especially, this early in the season.

Might be the Texas only "win" all year.....

I do hope they will hire some experience this time around. Two first-timers in a row really didn't play out well.....
Old 10-05-2020, 04:27 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Just signed meaningful extensions to Watson and Tunsil. I'm not sure a full rebuild is what I'd be looking for with the two biggest cornerstones entering their prime.
I don't think it matters what the team is looking for. We are terrible with no reasonable way to get better. We have no draft capital and no money. We are anchored with bad contracts. Deshaun deserves better, but that means nothing if you can't take any steps to help him. Not to mention a full regime change is going to mean turnover, tons of dead money, and no guarantee that what young talent we have matches with the new system going forward.

This is a completely broken team today with Watson and Tunsil. Nothing we do in the next 12 months is changing that.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:01 PM
Regular Starter

My friend still has his job for now and he thinks he is on solid footing.

He says you can thanks Mrs. McNair, Watt and Watson for this.

As is coming out elsewhere, BOB lost the locker room for good a couple of weeks ago.

Revenue also tanking as a ton of season ticket holders were walking away.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:17 PM
Regular Starter

more...

BOB got into some heated verbal arguments over the last couple of weeks. One was with Easterby and another was with someone on my friend's group. The wrong people (for BOB) witnessed them...
Old 10-05-2020, 05:20 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
My friend still has his job for now and he thinks he is on solid footing.

He says you can thanks Mrs. McNair, Watt and Watson for this.

As is coming out elsewhere, BOB lost the locker room for good a couple of weeks ago.

Good info....

Don't think I've ever seen Watt so bummed as at the press conference yesterday. And good on Watson for being diplomatic and just rolling with the flow....

-----------------------------------------------------

There talk of Eric Bienemy..... I dunno... maybe as the new OC? As I mentioned, not crazy about first-timers....
Old 10-05-2020, 05:39 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I think this is the data point we have been searching for.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:52 PM
All-Pro

Unless the Texans think they have somebody on the inside, I really question the timing of this. They still have 12 more games to go. If they fill it with an interim coach, I don't see much chance for improvement. If they fill it with someone from outside the organization, how good could he be if 31 other teams didn't have a job for him?

I think you have to fill it with a veteran head coach who is already in semi-retirement and is talked into coming in just to finish out his own legacy but not as a permanent solution, only a temporary fit. Someone like Dusty Baker.

Someone like Marvin Lewis.

Last edited by HPF Bob; 10-05-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Romeo Crennel named as the interim head coach. Tim Kelly reinstated as the offensive play caller.

I don't think this is a lightning rod-type change, but players ought to have greater respect for RAC at least.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:10 PM
Regular Starter

Easterby apparently will survive (and may have had a hand in BOB's ouster) which seems really stranger given his involvement with GM BOB's questionable moves.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:43 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Easterby apparently will survive (and may have had a hand in BOB's ouster) which seems really stranger given his involvement with GM BOB's questionable moves.
See my post above. BOB and Easterby got into it in the past couple of weeks.

Also, reading between the lines with what my friend has told me....I think BOB's son being immunocompromised during COVID (with all the false positives and everything else going on in the league) had something to do with some of his outbursts. His stress level was definitely up.

BOB did seek out my friend before he left the building and thanked him for a couple of things...

I'm not sorry to see him go but I wish him and his family well.

Edit to add - BOB has some $$$ coming to him due to the extension he signed a year or so ago, so don't be surprised to see him take another year off after this one.

Last edited by bikerack; 10-05-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:59 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Unless the Texans think they have somebody on the inside, I really question the timing of this. They still have 12 more games to go. If they fill it with an interim coach, I don't see much chance for improvement. If they fill it with someone from outside the organization, how good could he be if 31 other teams didn't have a job for him?

I think you have to fill it with a veteran head coach who is already in semi-retirement and is talked into coming in just to finish out his own legacy but not as a permanent solution, only a temporary fit. Someone like Dusty Baker.

Someone like Marvin Lewis.
The only thing wrong with the timing is that it wasn't sooner.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:39 PM
All-Pro

As much as I think BOB is a bad head coach and an even worse GM, I have boundless respect for him as a father to a child with some very, very seriously fked up health issues. I can’t imagine what it’s like to have that weight on you all the time. I mean, the child is surely a source of tremendous love, but he requires constant care and has very limited mobility and it must be very, very difficult as a parent.

For Jack’s sake I’m glad BOB’s been able to make off with a great deal of McNeck money.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:40 PM
All-Pro

What’s Easterby’s actual, day to day role, by the way?
Old 10-05-2020, 07:46 PM
Regular Starter

EVP of Football Ops
Old 10-05-2020, 11:51 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
don't be surprised to see him take another year off after this one.
He could take a color analyst job although the network would need somebody full time manning the bleep switch.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:04 AM
All-Pro

Nobody on the football side should keep their job in this one. There might be good people who aren't directly to blame, but the entire structure was created by BOB from top to bottom. There is zero reason to try to salvage it. And there is even less reason to have your new hire have to navigate existing personnel issues.

Hire a GM/President of Football operations with total authority and do it by November. Then let that guy make the HC hire at the end of the season when guys become available.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:30 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Good info....

Don't think I've ever seen Watt so bummed as at the press conference yesterday. And good on Watson for being diplomatic and just rolling with the flow....

-----------------------------------------------------

There talk of Eric Bienemy..... I dunno... maybe as the new OC? As I mentioned, not crazy about first-timers....
Why would Bienemy leave the OC position in KC to take the same job with a winless team, but as the new Texans HC I'd think he'd make that move ?