IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 10-06-2020, 01:23 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Why would Bienemy leave the OC position in KC to take the same job with a winless team, but as the new Texans HC I'd think he'd make that move ?
OC/AHC more $$$$
Old 10-06-2020, 01:50 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
OC/AHC more $$$$
Bienemy cares most about being a head coach. Getting a fake promotion or a slight pay bump isn't going to help make that happen. Unless we can offer him a head coaching job he'll stay in KC where he get his name on the NFL's best offense throughout the playoffs. Then he'll take a head coaching job next year with an actual promotion and a much bigger pay raise.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:29 PM
Regular Starter

FYI - apparently there are issues out there that make hiring Bienemy as a HC a little more delicate. I don't even know what they are exactly, but I was told that there is a reason he isn't a HC yet.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
As much as I think BOB is a bad head coach and an even worse GM, I have boundless respect for him as a father to a child with some very, very seriously fked up health issues. I can’t imagine what it’s like to have that weight on you all the time. I mean, the child is surely a source of tremendous love, but he requires constant care and has very limited mobility and it must be very, very difficult as a parent.

For Jack’s sake I’m glad BOB’s been able to make off with a great deal of McNeck money.
I hope Bill takes a lot of time off to help care for Jack. He can certainly afford to at least. And da real MVP here is his wife.

I initially thought Bill's best move would be to return to college football as a head coach, but I doubt that happens. Those with a second chance at being an NFL head coach have had a decent track record of success in spots, and to a lot of woeful franchises, the consecutive playoff appearances and division titles to O'Brien's resume probably look quite appealing.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
FYI - apparently there are issues out there that make hiring Bienemy as a HC a little more delicate. I don't even know what they are exactly, but I was told that there is a reason he isn't a HC yet.
Article on Bienemy's past.
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/6...joseph-broncos

DUIs, rape allegations... stuff is fairly old now, but it's not clean. That said, in spite of this, his alma mater and former employer, Colorado, reached out to him about their coaching job in Feb this year.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...y-coaching-job
Old 10-06-2020, 05:33 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Bienemy cares most about being a head coach. Getting a fake promotion or a slight pay bump isn't going to help make that happen. Unless we can offer him a head coaching job he'll stay in KC where he get his name on the NFL's best offense throughout the playoffs. Then he'll take a head coaching job next year with an actual promotion and a much bigger pay raise.
I really don't care. Everyone else is talking about him. He's not my cup of tea. Just a suggestion on how they could maybe get him onboard....

I'd rather have experience. Texans are in very good shape to have pick of the litter at the end of the year...
Old 10-06-2020, 06:46 PM
Regular Starter

Pretty interesting podcast interview from last New Year's Eve with former Eagles and Browns executive Joe Banner on hiring head coaches: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000461194339. The interview starts at around 15:30.

When the Eagles were looking for a coach in 1999, they did a study of all of the coaches who had won at least two Super Bowls. They found no commonalities in football background (offense or defense, etc.), but they all had several traits:
  • Great leader
  • Great evaluator and manager of people
  • Detail-oriented, to the point of being obsessive
  • Strong convictions -- regardless of what their philosophy was, there was no ambiguity about what they wanted to do and how they wanted to do it

Reid checked all of the boxes and so the Eagles hired him even though he had never been a coordinator or head coach, which was a very unusual move at the time. The Packers also had an opening that year but didn't interview him even though he was on their staff (QB coach). Banner also talked about two hires that he was involved in that didn't go as well -- Rob Chudzinski and Mike Pettine with the Browns.

He felt the then-current (last offseason) candidate pool had been pretty well picked over due to the high turnover of head coaches in recent years and that college coaches needed a closer look. He really liked Baylor's Matt Rhule and Ohio State's Ryan Day, because they had some NFL experience and had shown leadership skills and the ability to put together an entire college program.

He said that the top mistake that NFL teams make is not hiring strong leaders. They say that's what they want then end up going with guys because they are great playcallers or because they are associated with certain successful coaches or teams. He said that there is a huge difference between the job description of a head coach and the job description of a coordinator.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:53 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Pretty interesting podcast interview from last New Year's Eve with former Eagles and Browns executive Joe Banner on hiring head coaches: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000461194339. The interview starts at around 15:30.

When the Eagles were looking for a coach in 1999, they did a study of all of the coaches who had won at least two Super Bowls. They found no commonalities in football background (offense or defense, etc.), but they all had several traits:
  • Great leader
  • Great evaluator and manager of people
  • Detail-oriented, to the point of being obsessive
  • Strong convictions -- regardless of what their philosophy was, there was no ambiguity about what they wanted to do and how they wanted to do it

Reid checked all of the boxes and so the Eagles hired him even though he had never been a coordinator or head coach, which was a very unusual move at the time. The Packers also had an opening that year but didn't interview him even though he was on their staff (QB coach). Banner also talked about two hires that he was involved in that didn't go as well -- Rob Chudzinski and Mike Pettine with the Browns.

He felt the then-current (last offseason) candidate pool had been pretty well picked over due to the high turnover of head coaches in recent years and that college coaches needed a closer look. He really liked Baylor's Matt Rhule and Ohio State's Ryan Day, because they had some NFL experience and had shown leadership skills and the ability to put together an entire college program.

He said that the top mistake that NFL teams make is not hiring strong leaders. They say that's what they want then end up going with guys because they are great playcallers or because they are associated with certain successful coaches or teams. He said that there is a huge difference between the job description of a head coach and the job description of a coordinator.
This is really good stuff.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:40 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Texans are in very good shape to have pick of the litter at the end of the year...
Listen my friend Arky, do you really think the Texans' organization is currently in a position of strength when it comes to attracting a capable HC ?
We do have a young QB who is talented but beyond that it's unclear to me what allure this NFL franchise holds for a prospective HC, but I can think of several significant liabilities including depleted cap space & high Draft picks ?
Old 10-07-2020, 08:15 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Listen my friend Arky, do you really think the Texans' organization is currently in a position of strength when it comes to attracting a capable HC ?
We do have a young QB who is talented but beyond that it's unclear to me what allure this NFL franchise holds for a prospective HC, but I can think of several significant liabilities including depleted cap space & high Draft picks ?
It all depends on if ownership thinks we can have a quick turnaround.

If I'm being hired to fix O'Brien's mess and win right away with a broken roster, hard pass.

If I'm being hired to help rebuild a broken roster with input on the roster along with a competent GM, then there won't be a better job open.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:56 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Barrett made some good points. I think they should fill the GM spot, first - and get it right.

Unless I am missing something, the Texans have posted the first want-ad for a new head coach so this has a small advantage right there. The qualified will take note.

It's a tough situation for a new coach to walk into but it also has some things to like. I would think owner/GM/new coach all would adjust their expectations to the circumstances...
Old 10-08-2020, 01:30 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Barrett made some good points. I think they should fill the GM spot, first - and get it right.

Unless I am missing something, the Texans have posted the first want-ad for a new head coach so this has a small advantage right there. The qualified will take note.

It's a tough situation for a new coach to walk into but it also has some things to like. I would think owner/GM/new coach all would adjust their expectations to the circumstances...
Sure the ownership hires the GM, and then the GM is the principle agent of ownership in hiring the HC. That's clearly the most logical progression.