IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2020, 09:46 AM
All-Pro

Default Pendergast column "Texans Miss the Mark..."

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/te...m_medium=email

Pendergast reviews a Friday conference call with season ticket holders.. and comes away not happy.

The real take away is that fans aren't happy. He makes two salient points: Better to have angry fans than tuned out fans (radio hosts understand this principle very well) and that there are probably many season ticket holders feeling an economic crunch right now and could be looking for areas to downsize - football tickets being one tempting target - so it behooves the Texans to do better PR as if they *need* some fans supporting them.

Pendergast spends way too much time spouting how he and his fellow beat writers must feel (hey, Sean, nobody gives a rat's ass how the media feels - feel lucky you're still getting paid, moron)

We have to understand that the Hopkins trade was 2-for-1 (offsetting the fourth-rounders) - Hopkins for Johnson and a second. The Hopkins for Johnson part stinks to high heaven. Nobody outside Kirby Dr believes otherwise. But there's a slim chance Bill O'Brien, draft expert, will nail that second-rounder we got from Arizona. If we grab, say, Jalen Raegor and he turns into the next Jerry Rice, we can say "good trade". If we draft the next Xavier Su'a-Filo, gulp!

So, let's wait until the draft at least runs its course and also pray we get a 2020 season at all before becoming too irate. If they let fans into the stadiums at all, I suspects we may see only a fraction of NRG Reliant Enron Your-Name-Goes-Here Stadium filled once the season begins.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:00 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
https://www.houstonpress.com/news/te...m_medium=email

Pendergast reviews a Friday conference call with season ticket holders.. and comes away not happy.

The real take away is that fans aren't happy. He makes two salient points: Better to have angry fans than tuned out fans (radio hosts understand this principle very well) and that there are probably many season ticket holders feeling an economic crunch right now and could be looking for areas to downsize - football tickets being one tempting target - so it behooves the Texans to do better PR as if they *need* some fans supporting them.

Pendergast spends way too much time spouting how he and his fellow beat writers must feel (hey, Sean, nobody gives a rat's ass how the media feels - feel lucky you're still getting paid, moron)

We have to understand that the Hopkins trade was 2-for-1 (offsetting the fourth-rounders) - Hopkins for Johnson and a second. The Hopkins for Johnson part stinks to high heaven. Nobody outside Kirby Dr believes otherwise. But there's a slim chance Bill O'Brien, draft expert, will nail that second-rounder we got from Arizona. If we grab, say, Jalen Raegor and he turns into the next Jerry Rice, we can say "good trade". If we draft the next Xavier Su'a-Filo, gulp!

So, let's wait until the draft at least runs its course and also pray we get a 2020 season at all before becoming too irate. If they let fans into the stadiums at all, I suspects we may see only a fraction of NRG Reliant Enron Your-Name-Goes-Here Stadium filled once the season begins.
We could draft Jerry Rice and it's still a bad deal. If I sell my car for $10 and then buy a Ferrari with that $10, it was still a bad deal to sell my car for $10, because I could have gotten much more and still bought the Ferrari for $10 after.

We could make a great pick and it doesn't change the fact that we could have made 3 or 4 great picks if we didn't value David Johnson %1000 higher than the rest of the NFL.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:35 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
We could draft Jerry Rice and it's still a bad deal. If I sell my car for $10 and then buy a Ferrari with that $10, it was still a bad deal to sell my car for $10, because I could have gotten much more and still bought the Ferrari for $10 after.

We could make a great pick and it doesn't change the fact that we could have made 3 or 4 great picks if we didn't value David Johnson %1000 higher than the rest of the NFL.
Thank you Barrett for explaining it to the OP and for anybody else who might be confused about why O'Briens stunning trade was so egregiously bad for the Texans.
It's still difficult for me to understand how somebody in the NFL over ten years as an offensive coach including several as a Bill Belichick disciple could make that trade ?