IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 01-12-2019, 06:51 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Speaking of Kubiak I've read where some would like the Texans to hire him as their offensive cordinator which is silly for anyone to think for a moment that a man as insecure as HC Bill O'Brien would accept a popular Houstonian & former super bowl winning HC on his staff.
I've never heard Kubiak described as popular. Fans here ran him out of town.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Regular Starter

Don't be surprised to see Kubiak join the JAX staff. Lots of interest there.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:00 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I've never heard Kubiak described as popular. Fans here ran him out of town.
I know a lot of people who liked Kubiak and I'm one of them. And I was happy for him when he won a SB with the Broncos.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:35 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I know a lot of people who liked Kubiak and I'm one of them. And I was happy for him when he won a SB with the Broncos.
I liked and like him a lot. But I would never describe him as popular in Houston.

As far back as 2010
http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5962120

And the low point in 2013
https://houseofhouston.com/2013/11/1...ery-right-boo/

Fans bashed him as boring and too nice and unimaginative and too loyal to his guys. By the end the city couldn't wait for him to be fired. He may rightly have a whole new image as a super bowl winner, but that doesn't mean he's some kind of insecurity inspiring legend in the city. D'antoni hiring Rudy T as an assistant it wouldn't be.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 AM
All-Pro

Not saying Kubiak was beloved in Houston or anything like that, just popular with a significant portion of the Texans' fan base.
After the stroke, mini-stoke , whatever kind of attack Kubiak suffered many were very sympathetic, and the fans didn't run him out of town, the ownership did.
Schaub was the one who was really mistreated by the fans. That was disgusting
which made me realize that many Houstonians aren't just really ignorant football fans, they are also insensitive if not mean-spirited.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Hall of Fame

Kubiak's first gig as a head coach in Houston lasted 8 years and in the end, he just wasn't getting it done. Towards the end, I'd say many were ready for a change. Until he got that SB win as the Broncos HC, he had a better reputation as an OC than a HC. In Denver, he probably has a higher approval rating having been a part of three SB wins there....

Side note on Denver: They've been to 8 SB's and have won 3. They started off 0-4 (ouch!) until Shanahan and co. broke through in '98 (1997 season).... They went to their 1st SB in their 18th year of existence. Texans begin their 18th year in September....
Old 01-14-2019, 06:48 PM
Hall of Fame

Kubes on his way to Minnesota:

Quote:
Gary Kubiak is back on an NFL coaching staff, but it's not in Denver.

The Minnesota Vikings hired the former Broncos and Texans coach on Monday with an expected title of assistant head coach/offensive advisor, sources told NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

Kubiak interviewed earlier Monday in Minnesota and was scheduled to travel to Jacksonville to interview with the Jaguars on Tuesday. The Vikings apparently didn't let him out of the building.
More at link.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:27 PM
All-Pro

Cousins was best under Shanahan so it's a nice hire by Minnesota.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:55 PM
All-Pro

Kubiak played his high school ball in Humble (or Kingwood), was a starter at Texas A&M and kept ties in Houston during all those years in Denver. I'd say he was very popular in Houston and was definitely a class act. Any disagreements began and ended with his failure to get over the first-round playoff hump.

I think he's more beloved in Denver because of his playing career there and his record of success as an OC and HC up there.

Elway has been rumored to mull over converting to a college spread offense while Kubiak wanted no part of it. Once it became clear Kubiak wouldn't help him build that sort of offense, Kubiak chose to withdraw from the position he had not officially taken. He thinks his health can handle the stress of being the OC, just not as head coach.

If Elway stays with the spread concept, expect him to possibly trade up for Murray or Haskins if he needs to. Keenum did a lot of running laterally but he isn't a downfield runner.

Choosing Munchak as an OC for this seems odd but keep in mind that when Mariota is healthy, his offense works. The problem with Mariota is that he's too fragile.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:17 PM
All-Pro

Kubiak went to high school at St Pius which is very much in Houston.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:31 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Kubiak played his high school ball in Humble (or Kingwood), was a starter at Texas A&M and kept ties in Houston during all those years in Denver. I'd say he was very popular in Houston and was definitely a class act. Any disagreements began and ended with his failure to get over the first-round playoff hump.

I think he's more beloved in Denver because of his playing career there and his record of success as an OC and HC up there.

Elway has been rumored to mull over converting to a college spread offense while Kubiak wanted no part of it. Once it became clear Kubiak wouldn't help him build that sort of offense, Kubiak chose to withdraw from the position he had not officially taken. He thinks his health can handle the stress of being the OC, just not as head coach.

If Elway stays with the spread concept, expect him to possibly trade up for Murray or Haskins if he needs to. Keenum did a lot of running laterally but he isn't a downfield runner.

Choosing Munchak as an OC for this seems odd but keep in mind that when Mariota is healthy, his offense works. The problem with Mariota is that he's too fragile.
Didn't Munchak leave Tennessee in 2013 when Mariota was in college?
Old 01-17-2019, 09:23 AM
All-Pro

BTW Munchak took the job as the Broncos offensive line coach as it seems that he has a daughter & grandchild in Denver which was his reason for making a lateral move from Pittsburg.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:55 PM
All-Pro

Good catch. Munchak was fired after the 2013 season and Mariota wasn't drafted until 2015. So, I have no idea why the hell he's their OC other than he's been a previous head coach and they need help on their OL as badly as we do.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:09 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Kubiak went to high school at St Pius which is very much in Houston.
Yes, you're right. I could have sworn I watched him in high school but it must have been somebody else. The memory bank is just not as reliable as it once was.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:13 PM
All-Pro

If Deshaun Watson was officiated like this we'd score 1000 points next year.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25813053
Old 01-20-2019, 11:03 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
If Deshaun Watson was officiated like this we'd score 1000 points next year.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25813053
Eh, so sick of the Pats. I'll be rooting for the Rams.

Lots of early birds coming in on the Pats. Right now, it's Pats by 1 to 2.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:50 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Well, I considered the Irish-gangster card, the loser football program card and the Hitler card - the Hitler card seemed less offensive....
Now that's funny....
Old 01-22-2019, 06:56 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
Kubiak played his high school ball in Humble (or Kingwood)
St. Pius. class of 1979, a rival school to my HS.

Sorry, I see Chuck has corrected this.

As for Munchak and the spread, what do you think the Run-N-Shot is?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:14 PM
Regular Starter

Sounds like Welker is looking for other opportunities.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/28/su...-roger-goodell

Quote:
8. Texans offensive assistant/ex-Patriots receiver Wes Welker is on the circuit—he interviewed for a job with Green Bay last week and San Francisco on Monday. The Niners are restructuring a bit after the departure of passing-game coordinator Rich Scangarello to Denver.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:20 AM
Regular Starter

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/...97821662756865

Quote:
Former #Texans star Brian Cushing has joined the team as an assistant strength coach. Expected to work with the defense as well.