IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2009, 01:52 PM
All-Pro

Default DraftTek Mock

Draft Tek update.

I have once again updated MY Guys and thought I'd run it through their simulator. While I obviously got players that I like, the overall substance of it kind of got me bummed. I was not able to get the Needs filled that I wanted to and on few occasions when I was ready to pounce on a player, a team snatched them before they fell to me. On a weird note, Corvey Irvin and John Parker Wilson were drafted by their Sim and my draft board.

1. WR Jeremy Maclin
2. RB Donald Brown
3. CB Domonique Johnson
4. TE Shawn Nelson
5. DT Corvey Irvin
6. QB John Parker Wilson
7. LB Lee Robinson
Old 02-09-2009, 02:51 PM
All-Pro

Here's the link

Draft Tek has us taking

1st Tyson Jackson DE43 LSU -11 Reach
2nd Duke Robinson OG Oklahoma +5 Value
3rd Marcus Freeman OLB43 Ohio State +0 Value
4th DeAngelo Smith CB Cincinnati +6 Value
5th Corvey Irvin DT43 Georgia +0 Value
6th John Parker Wilson QB Alabama +12 Value
7th John Phillips TE Virginia -5 Reach

Interestingly no QBs or RBs taken before our 1st pick at 15. That should mean a trade down might be in play here.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:22 PM
All-Pro

9 Green Bay Peria Jerry DE34 Mississippi -9 Reach
Huh ? Jerry is obviously wasted in a 3-4 !
Old 02-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Veteran Depth

I hope Draftek is wrong in what is available in some rounds. Based on their consensus, I would pick:

1. Aaron Maybin
2. Paul Kruger
3. Andy Levitre
4. Nic Harris
5. Pat White
6. Devin Moore
7. Gartrell Johnson

I know White is really small, but he had great pocket presence, NFL arm and electrifying feet in the Senior Bowl. He really wants to play QB. He could eventually be our backup qb, after this next season. I think Kubiak could use him in spots as a change of pace. Again, if he could keep from getting killed, he is quite a weapon.

Maybin, I think, would be high risk, high reward. I think Kruger in the 2nd would be excellent.

Devin Moore is small, but with great speed. Could rotate in for Slaton some. I think Gartrell Johnson would be a good value pick at 7. A 7th round pick that could actuall see the field next year.

UFA - Jeremy Childs. I actually think Childs will be drafted after his combine. And I think he will run the 40 in the 4.4's. This guy catches every type of pass. He comes down with the ball with defenders hanging all over him. He runs very crisp routes and can run away from most db's. He caught 80+ passes in 07 and 70+ passes in 08.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Pro Bowler

Methinks maybin is a little light in the butt for a 4-3 DE. He would fit best as a LB in a 3-4 set IMO.

He also got somewhat exposed at the Combine where he didn't do too well on some of the drills.

Last edited by NBT; 03-08-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by idymoe View Post
I hope Draftek is wrong in what is available in some rounds. Based on their consensus, I would pick:

1. Aaron Maybin
2. Paul Kruger
3. Andy Levitre
4. Nic Harris
5. Pat White
6. Devin Moore
7. Gartrell Johnson

I know White is really small, but he had great pocket presence, NFL arm and electrifying feet in the Senior Bowl. He really wants to play QB. He could eventually be our backup qb, after this next season. I think Kubiak could use him in spots as a change of pace. Again, if he could keep from getting killed, he is quite a weapon.

Maybin, I think, would be high risk, high reward. I think Kruger in the 2nd would be excellent.

If we got both Maybin and Kruger, I'd be ecstatic!- regardless of what happened the rest of the draft.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Methinks maybin is a little light in the butt for a 4-3 DE. He would fit best as a LB in a 3-4 set IMO.

Well, that was one of the rounds I hope Draftek is wrong about who is available for us.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Do you ever watch the games when Indy plays us. Maybin is larger than Mathis, who plays on the strong side DE on passing downs. If they identify him as a very good pass rusher, I don't think the fact that his size might force him off the field during short yardage is an issue at all!
Old 02-09-2009, 05:21 PM
All-Pro

In the 1st round, Maclin is currently #5 on my draft board, but I'll admit that I looked at my other options. I was looking at CBs and RBs (Moore, Smith, & Davis, along with McCoy & Moreno) and possibly DE Maybin. I figured Maclin was simply too good to pass up and did not want to reach for Maybin. They had us taking Jackson which in my estimation does nothing to improve the Pass Rush - he's just a cheaper Weaver.

In the 2nd round, it was apparent that the RBs slid because I was able to get Donald Brown (who is the last player I had with a 1st round grade) or Shonn Greene, my top 2nd round player. There was a part of me that wanted to just get DE Kruger or S Chung, but I went BPA again. I also considered another DT Marks or Hood, but hoped that they may fall to the 3rd.

In the 3rd round, I had my eye on FS Derek Pegues, but Dallas snatched him at #69. CB Coye Francies went right before I picked leaving Dominique Johnson. These guys are similar to Antwaun Molden and can provide some height to the secondary. With the uncertainty that is Dunta Robinson, I felt ok bringing in another CB thinking the day for Petey Faggins are numbered. Other considerations were TE Jared Cook for a Red Zone target, Cody Brown as a pass rushing SAM/DE combo, or S Rashad Johnson to play FS. D.Johnson is about the same size as R. Johnson and in theory could possibly play FS if he didn't pan out at CB. Having another 3rd round pick could be very nice so I could have gotten a couple of these guys.

The 4th round I could have gotten a pass rusher, DE Matt Shaugnessy who has had some injury history. When I saw him play, he doesn't get much push, so he needs to play with quickness. The Combine may show me that he has more burst or that he has lost a step because of injury. Anyway, Shawn Nelson impressed me at the Senior Bowl, and should provide a Red Zone target that we apparently need. I also could have gone RB here, but since I had Brown, I disregarded James Davis and Andre Brown. My third round pick made Keenan Lewis a non-factor. The other TE I could have gotten was Bear Pascoe, who may be a better blocker and could be Breuner's replacement, but I think Nelson has better hands and runs better routes.

The 5th round was when I started getting excited thinking Shaugnessy would slip. However, Washington got him two slots ahead of me. There was a thought that AQ Shipley could play C, but Philly took him at #133. When it was my turn to pick at #144, DT Corvey Irvin was my top rated player. He is like many of the 3-Tech DTs in this draft, but we could use him as a rotational guy. I'm also not sure what the future holds for Travis Johnson. Theoretically, Lawrence Sidbury Jr. could have been the guy here to give me a DE opposite of Mario, but I have him rated in the next round. Unfortunately, Sidbury and FS C.J. Spillman were drafted in the bottom of this round.

The 6th round was a pleasant surprise. I have John Parker Wilson as a 4th round prospect and he was the top guy on my board. 5th round prosects were still available (LB Lee Robinson, G Andy Kemp, SS Keith Fitzhugh, and DE Derek Walker), but I didn't think twice about JPW. Can we still get a 3rd round pick for Sage Rosencopter?

The 7th round saw some of My Guys coming off the board. OL Kemp and Greg Isadaner went early. I took my WILL LB Lee Robinson here. If I had been hell-bent on a pass rusher, DEs Derek Walker and Will Davis were available.

In FA I suppose I would be going after DE Will Davis and DE Pierre Walters.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Veteran Depth

We all get do-overs after the combine, right? I know Maclin is the better prospect, I just don't like taking a wr that high. If the draft went the way Draftek predicts up til pick 15, then I would really like to see a trade down. It would be nice to get Maybin further down, plus an extra pick.

I don't really want to take a running back higher than the 3rd round either. We got a steal in Slaton in the 3rd. I don't think any rb is going to put his butt on the bench. Unless Slaton gets a long term injury, there's no way a new rb could be as productive as Slaton last year. Paying Slaton less than a guy who won't be as productive as he was last year doesn't seem like a good move.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:36 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't really want to take a running back higher than the 3rd round either. We got a steal in Slaton in the 3rd. I don't think any rb is going to put his butt on the bench. Unless Slaton gets a long term injury, there's no way a new rb could be as productive as Slaton last year. Paying Slaton less than a guy who won't be as productive as he was last year doesn't seem like a good move.

Felix Jones/Marion Barber
Chris Johnson/LenDale White
Rashard Mendenhall/Willie Parker
Jonathan Stewart/DeAngelo Williams

These are just four off the top of my head from last year's draft. Jones and Mendenhall got hurt, but the Titans and Panthers did pretty well with 2 RBs.

I'm not saying that is my preferred strategy, but if the players line up on draft day so that the BPA is a RB, Steve Slaton wouldn't preclude me from drafting one early on. If that 5' 9" 203lbs fella gets hurt and we have to rely upon Ryan Moats or Gartrell Johnson, I won't be pre-purchasing my Texans playoff tickets.

edit-
The DraftTek mock had no RBs being drafted after us in the 3rd round. Rashard Jennings went early in the 3rd. The next RB to be selected is Andre Brown in the 4th at #121, so we could have drafted him at #108. Mayock says he should be a better Pro than a college player because he had 2 foot surgeries that prevented him from playing up to his potential.

Last edited by Roy P; 02-09-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:25 PM
All-Pro

If the draft where to fall this way, I would be willing to trade out of the 1st round. I know this is not going to be a popular move, but it's one I am willing to do with this board.

So I am trading my #15 to NE for their #47 and #58 this year and their #1 next season. Why because there is not a single player I want to pay 1st round money to available when we select, and NE 1st round pick this year is not much better to me.

46 Donald Brown RBF Connecticut
47 Paul Kruger DE43 Utah
58 Tyrone McKenzie OLB43 South Florida
77 Rashad Johnson FS Alabama
108 Cary Harris CB USC
144 Lawrence Sidbury Jr. DE43 Richmond
175 Stephen McGee QB Texas A&M
206 Gartrell Johnson RBF Colorado State

And remember I get a 1st in 2010 from the Pats, someone like Mark Herzlich, OLB, Boston College might be the guy.

It's a something different.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I just don't like taking a wr that high.

I don't really want to take a running back higher than the 3rd round either.
Taking into considerations only the "needs" of the team, LB, FS, DE, DL, G/C, and RB later than 3rd round, I scrubbed my Draftboard. I took out all of the "fluff" in terms of positions that aren't seen as needs today. Generally, this is the reason GMs get fired, but for the sake of argument, I did it anyway. This is how that turned out....

1. DE/OLB Aaron Maybin
2. DE Paul Kruger
3. FS Rashad Johnson
4. RB James Davis
5. DT Corvey Irvin
6. OLB Lee Robinson
7. DT Darryl Richard

After taking Maybin in the 1st and having Kruger available in the 2nd, I figured maybe this is the guy I have my experiment with. The Giants tried Matthias Kiwanuka at SAM and DE, so I might give Maybin a shot. Kruger would then play all three downs and Mario would be moved over to DT on passing downs and nickle situations. That would give me a line of Kruger, Mario, Okoye, Maybin.

Anyway, Johnson gives me a Centerfielder that I've wanted since McCree left. Davis isn't a "big" back, but is insurance for Slaton and helps share the workload. Irvin is the same in the 5th round.

Interestingly, I drafted Lee Robinson a whole round earlier this time without gaining a backup QB. The new addition is Darryl Richard. That got me to thinking about Michael Johnson again. The Ga Tech DL had Vance Walker and Darryl Richard in the middle, which should have boosted MJ's production.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Regular Starter

1. Micheal Johnson
2. Darry Beckwith or Victor Harris
3. Rashad Johnson
4. Brandon Tate
5. Pat White
6. Graham Cano
7. Gartrell Johnson
Old 02-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Veteran Depth

I thought Andre Brown looked pretty solid in the Senior Bowl. Like any player, he needs to be lucky and stay away from injuries.

I was hoping to get more flack or comment from my Pat White pimping.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I thought Andre Brown looked pretty solid in the Senior Bowl. Like any player, he needs to be lucky and stay away from injuries.

I like your Pat White idea, my problem is I do not see Kubiak as the type to be an innovator. Maybe young Shanny is. To get the most out of White you will need a coach who is outside the box.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:10 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I would be willing to trade out of the 1st round.

So I am trading my #15 to NE for their #47 and #58 this year and their #1 next season.

46 Donald Brown RBF Connecticut
47 Paul Kruger DE43 Utah
58 Tyrone McKenzie OLB43 South Florida
77 Rashad Johnson FS Alabama

And remember I get a 1st in 2010 from the Pats, someone like Mark Herzlich, OLB, Boston College might be the guy.
That sounds pretty good to me. Who do you think NE wants at #15?

Getting those first 4 guys would be pretty good. Having NE's 1st in next year's draft might be something to use to trade up for Taylor Mays.

108 DT Vance Walker
144 OLB Victor Butler
175 QB John Parker Wilson
206 OL Robert Brewster

That might be a way I'd like the back end of the draft to look. McKenzie would be WILL and Butler the SAM. Brewster could be the OT that slides into the RG slot.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:10 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Taking into considerations only the "needs" of the team, LB, FS, DE, DL, G/C, and RB later than 3rd round,
Roy sorry to grab your post to quote, but what is the issue with everyone thinking we are set at RB? As Roy pointed out in another post, Slaton is 5'10 203. And the style of running he did for us last season points to a guy who will get hit a lot.

IMO we need to add at least 2 RBs in the draft, and possibly an UDFA for the PS. I want 3 RBs on the opening day roster that can all carry the ball. The main problem with my plan is the blitz pickups, but Slaton showed us last year a rookie can pick it up.

The RB position is a position of needed depth for every team in the NFL. The pounding is to great for any one guy to be the man 16 weeks of the season.

You add a stud to Slaton and then a specialty back (short yardage guy 3rd down type) or two later in the draft and then this team will finally have the type of backfield it has needed since day one.

Remember what happened in Denver last season, they lost 6 RBs and the HC was fired. You can never have enough RBs.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:14 PM
All-Pro

Quote:

The Bucs have a guy named Josh Johnson. I thought about bringing him in last year.

The Texans probably won't be taking that risk (White) as a QB. We haven't seen what kind of hands or route running White could have as a slot WR. So basically, he's a project that Kubiak doesn't have time for to have come to fruition.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
That sounds pretty good to me. Who do you think NE wants at #15?
Why not the big DE from LSU? He would be the perfect 3-4 DE. Richard Seymour is not a spring chicken anymore.

Heck maybe they want Michael Johnson.

If I am going to play....