IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2010, 07:44 PM
All-Pro

Default Texans Interested In Leinart?

Texans Among Leaders For Leinart

If he's signed for dirt cheap, I suppose he's an upgrade over DanO but - sheesh - I'm not sure we should go anywhere near him.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Dude is absolutely toxic. No chance in hell!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Regular Starter

In my opinion, stories like this in the national press are usually generated either by a reporter who is engaging in speculation just to generate a cheap story, or are planted by a player's agent trying to get a little competition going for his client.

I certainly hope it's one of those two, because I don't think Leinart is a good fit for the Texans. I wouldn't mind another QB being brought in, though.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:37 AM
All-Pro

610 just reporting we've signed Leinert to a 1-year deal and their source is ESPN they say. Can't find a link yet, but will keep looking.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
610 just reporting we've signed Leinert to a 1-year deal and their source is ESPN they say. Can't find a link yet, but will keep looking.
Somewhere, Dan Pastorini is smiling....
Old 09-06-2010, 08:46 AM
All-Pro

Matt Leinart is about to become a Houston Texan.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN is reporting that Leinart, the free agent quarterback released by the Cardinals this weekend, has agreed to terms with the Texans on a one-year deal.

In Houston, Leinart won't have any chance of unseating the starter, Matt Schaub, so he has apparently accepted the fact that he has to be a backup, at least for now. Really, he had no other choice.

But the good news for Leinart is that if he practices well and learns the offense quickly, it shouldn't take too much to unseat the current No. 2 quarterback in Houston, Dan Orlovsky. Orlovsky looked terrible in the preseason, and Leinart should be an upgrade for the Texans at the backup quarterback position.

And if Leinart isn't even an upgrade over Orlovsky, his NFL stock has fallen even further than any of us thought.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ouston-texans/
Old 09-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Regular Starter

If it's just a one year deal then I guess I really don't mind it. It looks like the deal we had with Grossman last year. We're buying an insurance policy.

If Orlovsky hadn't thrown those two picks Thursday night, I'm guessing we wouldn't be making this deal. Those picks were scary bad, especially because they weren't innacurate throws and there wasn't any pressure coming from the DL. They were just really stupid decisions. Especially for a QB in his fifth year as a pro. Orlovsky has said that Kubiak has told him a thousand times his main job is to protect the ball. I guess he hasn't told him enough times yet.

I'm thinking we get a QB in the draft this year.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:13 AM
All-Pro

I just heard on ESPN as well that we signed Leinert. I sure hope Leinert is ready to grow up, take some teamwork and humble pie. I guess it shows how poor Orlavsky really looked as well.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Pro Bowler

They were probably hoping Sage would be available, and when that didn't happen, went with the next 'best' option. I don't think there's a soul in town who felt even slightly comfortable going w/DanO. At least Leinart hasn't shown a tendency to throw the INT and usually (always) checks down protecting the ball. Leinart's sort of like David Carr w/o the scrambling out of bounds behind the LOS. Not a bad move for a 1yr look and some 'minor'insurance.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:52 AM
All-Pro

My problem is signing a lefthander to back up a righthander. The spin on the pass will be reverse and the right side of the OL turns into the blind side if Leinart comes in.

My best hope is that Schaub stays healthy and we flip Leinart to a team later in the season who is desperate due to injuries. If we got a fifth or a sixth for him, that we be great (presuming there's a draft next spring).
Old 09-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
My problem is signing a lefthander to back up a righthander. The spin on the pass will be reverse and the right side of the OL turns into the blind side if Leinart comes in.

My best hope is that Schaub stays healthy and we flip Leinart to a team later in the season who is desperate due to injuries. If we got a fifth or a sixth for him, that we be great (presuming there's a draft next spring).
good news, Bob: There will be a draft next year... Probably no football. But, the draft is taking place no matter what.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
At least Leinart hasn't shown a tendency to throw the INT...
Let me retract that statement.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:57 PM
All-Pro

Quote:

The spin of the ball is overrated. It is different but it does not change the basics of catching a football. This is not like a baseball. Most lefties throw a more catchable ball.

Now the protection and the roll outs change. That is a concern.

And Leinart has cement shoes, just what we need another slow footed QB. I will say his on the field stuff is better than Orlovsky, it's his off the field stuff that I am not interested in.

If he can be used to trade to desperate team by the trade deadline than this is a good move. And as a 3rd string QB, he is better than most, and if a team is down to #3 they are done anyway.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:15 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtinylittle View Post
I'm thinking we get a QB in the draft this year.
Getting Leinart isn't a bad idea, if we cut Orlovsky and the Ex-Cardinal becomes the backup. Hopefully, Rick Smith has JD Booty on his speed dial, just in case we trade Leinart during the season. I just don't see that happening as of today.

I will be putting Alabama Crimson Tide QB Greg McElroy on my draft board though.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:41 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
The spin of the ball is overrated. It is different but it does not change the basics of catching a football.
Dude. This is Bob's favorite thing to obsess about. After nearly ten years you should surely know that by now. Every time a left handed quarterback is mentioned Bob leaps up with the concern that the spin is different. I promise you I was laughing to myself about this last night thinking that if the Texans expressed any interest in Leinart you could take it to the bank that Bob would weigh in with the spin business like he always does. Sure enough, he did not disappoint.

And I for one would be perfectly comfortable with Winston protecting a QB's blindside. Let's hope he never has to.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:27 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Dude. This is Bob's favorite thing to obsess about.
If you knew anything about me, you'd know I obsess about the slow white boy reverse, not the lefthanded QB. I haven't obsessed about that since Tony Banks.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:30 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
If you knew anything about me, you'd know I obsess about the slow white boy reverse, not the lefthanded QB. I haven't obsessed about that since Tony Banks.
Did you see the Reverse they ran with Dorin Dickerson? He had a huge gain, and I even made a comment about it during the Game Thread. I knew you'd be excited to see it being run by some NON-slow white boy.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
You know perfectly well that any and every time anyone mentions a lefthanded QB in relation to the Texans you remind everyone that as far as you're concerned it's a dicey idea because of the reverse spin. It reached a fever pitch around Dave Ragone but that's but one of many examples.

I'm not complaining, mind you, just amused and somewhat comforted. If you quit chiming in on the topic I'd start to worry about you. More than I already do I mean.

And I'm right there with you on the end-around play regardless of whether the ball carrier is slow or non-slow.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:43 AM
All-Pro

If you're going to run the reverse at all, why not put it in the hands of burners like Jacoby Jones or Andre Davis? That just seems blatantly obvious to me. Give it to somebody who can actually turn the corner and outrun defenders, particularly since they are already on the roster.

Running it with the slow receiver makes as much sense as running a play where Andre Johnson throws a pass. Now OD is a former quarterback, If you want to run a TE reverse using Daniels with a pass option, I could maybe go for that. Maybe.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 AM
All-Pro

You do know that the reverse is not designed to work every time, right? There is another purpose to the play, the play is designed to be on film to make the DE stay at home, and crash the running plays from behind.

Showing a play like this every once in the while makes the defenses aware of it and makes them think. That split second they are having to think maybe all the OL needs to spring the RB for a big a gain on the spread play.

Calling plays in the NFL is like a chess match, you show a certain move early in order to set up another move later.